Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It’s D&D 4th edition that pioneered the fusion of ki with psionics, one of that game’s many spectacular metaphysics/lore home runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty sure most terrible things about D&D can be sourced to pasty racist nerds.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
D&D is fantastic, it's just that every single person involved in any way with it is just absolute trash.

Every single person.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well the thing is Elves fighting Orcs is a thought-provoking allegory on the plights of Western Civilization. Of course silly magical singing has no place in it.

There is that bit in the bible where playing trumpets for a week replaces "bringing siege engines".

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

D&D is fantastic, it's just that every single person involved in any way with it is just absolute trash.

Every single person.

*reads the last 10 pages*

*checks the Pathfinder thread real quick to find a meltdown about RAW and natural language and intention vs play experience*

Truth.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Every single person.

We're including us the players, right?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The amount of poo poo that d&d nerds feel necessary to give to anything anime, effeminate, or etc is weird. Like I've seen people in d&d communities randomly go on rants about girly elf men and how all bard males are automatically gay.

Not to mention the rages against anyone who references the tome of battle to this day, or anything semi-eastern themed. I've gotten poo poo for playing a monk because 'only weebs do that'

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
My only slight against Anime is I wish people would stop pausing the game to giddily show the DM something animu related and make us have to guide him back into DM-mode.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KittyEmpress posted:

The amount of poo poo that d&d nerds feel necessary to give to anything anime, effeminate, or etc is weird. Like I've seen people in d&d communities randomly go on rants about girly elf men and how all bard males are automatically gay.

Not to mention the rages against anyone who references the tome of battle to this day, or anything semi-eastern themed. I've gotten poo poo for playing a monk because 'only weebs do that'
Do you remember when magic had a sexy shirtless vampire card?

Or when WoW beefed up the male blood elf because beta testers complained they made them feel uncomfortable?

Or the response to the first Thor movie?

Nerd dudes are super scared of not being dead 0 on the kinsey scale.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Like I've seen people in d&d communities randomly go on rants about girly elf men and how all bard males are automatically gay.

As if Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn composing and performing a song for Boromir after his death isn't the most manly thing ever.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

My only slight against Anime is I wish people would stop pausing the game to giddily show the DM something animu related and make us have to guide him back into DM-mode.

I can't even picture something like that happening and now I feel old and out of touch.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 28, 2018

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Baby T. Love posted:

As if Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn composing and performing a song for Boromir after his death isn't the most manly thing ever.

lol as if loving another dude isn't the mostly manly thing ever

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

lol as if loving another dude isn't the mostly manly thing ever

It's twice the men!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Arthil posted:

We're including us the players, right?

EVERY SINGLE PERSON

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

EVERY SINGLE PERSON

Matt Mercer seems pretty cool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Every single person.

you're not wrong

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

lightrook posted:

TL, DR: Punish not the class for the sins of the player.

Sounds like the problem is player knowledge and not class design, then. I get that bard optimization is not intuitive, but neither is anything else in 3.5, so I don't think that's a fair knock on bard when literally all the Core half-casters and full-martials are basically steaming dumpster fires under the same circumstances.

I realize a lot of power for a lot of classes and concepts come from splatbook material, but bards hold up pretty well straight out of the box, too. Obviously they can't compete with full casters, but even with 2/3 casting, they're still head-and-shoulders above pretty much everything else. There's a lot of chaff in their spell list, but there's also enough winners to fill out your spells known allowance without issue. Durability is... acceptable but not great, and still comparable to the other light-armored martials, and that's before access to defensive spells like Mirror Image and Blur. And then there's the Alter Self exciting can of worms...

I don't disagree with your points, but I think they're more symptomatic of deeper, systemic problems with 3.5 and maybe cultural problems with the DND player population than issues intrinsic to the bard class specifically.

Eh?

A flask rogue or spiked chain fighter is more useful than a guy running around with low spell DCs on low level enchantments. Sure, you can turtle with mirror image and whatnot, Alter self is cute but not particularly good without splatbook access. Now you have the problem that martials suck in core without copious amounts of multiclassing, sure, and classes like monk are particularly worthless, but I'd take a spiked chain tripper or spirited charge lancer over a bard any day.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean the answer to most of this is "nerds are and have always been real goddamn fashy."

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Just so we're clear, we're not talking about your individual homebrewed settings or headcanons, but about the lack of explicit MONK INTEGRATION in official published material.

It's all a private divine and arcane boys club in the books.

Yes. I want psionics for monks but in official material ki->psi points->unfinished mystics (being laughably unsuitable for multiclassing) is a dumpster fire. I like to read homebrew and write it if need be but there’s very little out there that isn’t a massive headache to integrate. I’m aiming for something that feels githzerai as they’re the archetypal psionic monk imo. I’ve looked at previous editions but I’m also up against the fact 5e doesn’t do prestige classes though the reason why escapes me.

Then there’s aboleth and mind flayers. Basically 5e likes to hand out spell effects in lieu of a psionic system and it doesn’t look like that’s gonna change. So for me it’s meant a lotta lotta work and homebrew fuckery to run psionic encounters how I’d like them.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

...but at the same time I have to say I’ve been enjoying being a little gonzo where the rules fail. It’s just too bad that’s a necessity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Eh?

A flask rogue or spiked chain fighter is more useful than a guy running around with low spell DCs on low level enchantments. Sure, you can turtle with mirror image and whatnot, Alter self is cute but not particularly good without splatbook access. Now you have the problem that martials suck in core without copious amounts of multiclassing, sure, and classes like monk are particularly worthless, but I'd take a spiked chain tripper or spirited charge lancer over a bard any day.
There are two kinds of people who've played D&D 3.x, those who think HP is a meaningful component of the game, and those who actually paid attention.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
ki is just mastery of the body and mind and should be a martial power and thus monks should be unnecessary because fighters and rogues should be doing cool anime poo poo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Elfgames posted:

ki is just mastery of the body and mind and should be a martial power and thus monks should be unnecessary because fighters and rogues should be doing cool anime poo poo
Battle Master is still hobbled by taking a crowbar to their 4th edition knees. But they go have some light moments of absolute anime bullshit.

While it won't work on dragons because of that goddamned "Large or smaller" fine print, trip attack still works with a bow/etc for dropping most thing out of the sky.

Now I'm imagining their less showy poor man's bard impression. Using goading attack via longbow.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 28, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Elfgames posted:

All martials should have access to all martial maneuvers and at my game they do.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
people want...less anime bullshit in their dnd?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Farg posted:

people want...less anime bullshit in their dnd?

people were really angry at the thought of Fighters being able to Do Things in D&D.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Grogs were furious about the Tome of Battle (aka "Weeaboo Fightan Magic")

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
are you telling me some people aren't delivering speeches about the power of hope and friendship while fighting the manifestation of despair or whatever

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Debating buying this, can you tell me some examples(not too detailed) about some maneuvers?

What ways are there for my grappling Goliath barbarian to be able to wrestle huge+ creatures?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
as someone who watches anime and has an art style influenced by it, i can't help but :lol: everytime i see dumb neckbeards getting prissy when someone rolls a monk. hey there's a thing called "leaving" use it sometime.

jokes aside, i love it when people fuse anime with dnd. makes it way more fun in my opinion. but that's basically fairy tail or the war of lodoss.

Farg posted:

are you telling me some people aren't delivering speeches about the power of hope and friendship while fighting the manifestation of despair or whatever

despite my love of anime, this is a cliche I freaking hate.

Serf
May 5, 2011

one of the first things that ever happened when i started running d&d was the brawler fighter suplexing a four-ton scorpion in the middle of a streetfight

if that's wrong, i don't want to be right

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Fruity20 posted:

as someone who watches anime and has an art style influenced by it, i can't help but :lol: everytime i see dumb neckbeards getting prissy when someone rolls a monk. hey there's a thing called "leaving" use it sometime.

jokes aside, i love it when people fuse anime with dnd. makes it way more fun in my opinion. but that's basically fairy tail or the war of lodoss.

despite my love of anime, this is a cliche I freaking hate.

Go fight a lame lich or whatever then nerd, I'm getting my persona on

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

When I first got my hands on AD&D, in like 1989 or 1990, there was this class called "monk" and through a series of kid-mind misunderstandings including having to use the dictionary to look up "ascetic", I originally imagined these guys as Friar Tuck (as depicted in Disney's Robin Hood) looking old-timey pugilists.

Look, I was a book nerd, ok? "Anime" wasn't a thing in my mind, but if it was I'd have associated the word with scifi stuff like Captain Harlock or Star Blazers, not karate monks.

My version's cooler anyway, gently caress all y'all.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 28, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fruity20 posted:

Lodoss War is what everyone wants when they talk about Anime D&D.

Slayers is what we end up with. (or I guess Konosuba for a more recent reference)

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I've recently experienced one of the best sessions in a long time.

To lay the scene, there's a full moon out tonight and our cleric Faere and Sorcerer Val were busy investigating the town of Blackhollow after the party spent a few nights in the woods staying out of the sight of the werewolves known to traverse these woods. Leon, my Paladin wasn't willing to bother the townsfolk so late at night, and went to the inn to eat with Gingko the Barbarian and Travel the Bard and his talking sword, Mash.

Val, being a very aggressive socializer, basically interrogates this poor guy named Aiden about whether or not the town itself has a werewolf problem. Zone of truth revealed nothing but just made Aiden nervous. Faere told Val to back off, and leave the poor guy alone.

Then, they heard a crash at the gate, and the howling of four werewolves that came charging in. Aiden steps between the werewolves and my two party members, and transforms into a werebear.

Faere calls out for Leon, and Leon books it as fast as he can. Val unwisely tells Faere to find the mayor of the town while he holds the line with Aiden.

Val casts a decent Firebolt, but by the time Leon arrives Val was bloodied and battered, having lost half of his health. Leon sees the werebear facing the werewolves, makes the correct assumptions about who is on who's side, charges into the pack of four werewolves, picks the werewolf that attacked Val, and brought his magic longsword to bear on this monster. Nat 20, Thunderous Smite. With a deep gash in its chest, the werewolf saw a humongous crack of lightning emanating from Leon's sword and their ears were ringing from the BOOM as they went flying ten feet away from the Paladin and flat on their back.

Now we had a Paladin and a Werebear back to back, standing between the werewolves and the rest of the town.

It's the werewolf's turn. The one knocked over is still reeling from the blow. Two of the werewolves come to attack Aiden, their claws barely leaving a scratch against his hide. One of them goes for Leon. Their claws rake against the Paladin's shield like it was a chalkboard.

Then the werewolf leans over and sinks its fangs into Leon's arms. Ten damage, Leon is undeterred from the desire to defend Val and the town. Then, the DM tells me to roll a constitution saving throw.

Natural 1.

Immediately, Leon transforms into a seven foot tall werewolf with glowing red eyes and a distaste for this unexpected development.

The battle was tough, fought tooth and nail and fang and claw, the tide turning as the waitress from the inn brings out her flintlock with silver bullets, and the mayor, also a werewolf, comes to fight alongside his son Aiden. Turns out there were werewolves trying to break into the other sides of the town but the townsfolk were either werewolves/boars or plain used to fending off these attacks, so the night went without much blood spilled out of anyone who wasn't a sorcerer.

Now I have Leon, my Paladin, trying to deal with the fact he has been cursed with Lycanthropy and now he's gotta find a cure for it while completing the main tasks set up for him with the party.

Naz al-Ghul fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 28, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Just enjoy the immunity to non-magical BPS until you can cure it with Remove Curse at level 9.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Just be a cool giant holy wolf man howling with the fury of your God, this isn't complicated

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This is just as the prophecy foretold...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh man, I have been a paladin with lycanthropy before. You are going to learn so much about your DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Nazgul posted:

I've recently experienced one of the best sessions in a long time.

To lay the scene, there's a full moon out tonight and our cleric Faere and Sorcerer Val were busy investigating the town of Blackhollow after the party spent a few nights in the woods staying out of the sight of the werewolves known to traverse these woods. Leon, my Paladin wasn't willing to bother the townsfolk so late at night, and went to the inn to eat with Gingko the Barbarian and Travel the Bard and his talking sword, Mash.

Val, being a very aggressive socializer, basically interrogates this poor guy named Aiden about whether or not the town itself has a werewolf problem. Zone of truth revealed nothing but just made Aiden nervous. Faere told Val to back off, and leave the poor guy alone.

Then, they heard a crash at the gate, and the howling of four werewolves that came charging in. Aiden steps between the werewolves and my two party members, and transforms into a werebear.

Faere calls out for Leon, and Leon books it as fast as he can. Val unwisely tells Faere to find the mayor of the town while he holds the line with Aiden.

Val casts a decent Firebolt, but by the time Leon arrives Val was bloodied and battered, having lost half of his health. Leon sees the werebear facing the werewolves, makes the correct assumptions about who is on who's side, charges into the pack of four werewolves, picks the werewolf that attacked Val, and brought his magic longsword to bear on this monster. Nat 20, Thunderous Smite. With a deep gash in its chest, the werewolf saw a humongous crack of lightning emanating from Leon's sword and their ears were ringing from the BOOM as it went flying ten feet away from the Paladin and flat on their back.

Now we had a Paladin and a Werebear back to back, standing between the werewolves and the rest of the town.

It's the werewolf's turn. The one knocked over is still reeling from the blow. Two of the werewolves come to attack Aiden, their claws barely leaving a scratch against his hide. One of them goes for Leon. Their claws rake against the Paladin's shield like it was a chalkboard.

Then the werewolf leans over and sinks its fangs into Leon's arms. Ten damage, Leon is undeterred from the desire to defend Val and the town. Then, the DM tells me to roll a constitution saving throw.

Natural 1.

Immediately, Leon transforms into a seven foot tall werewolf with glowing red eyes and a distaste for this unexpected development.

The battle was tough, fought tooth and nail and fang and claw, the tide turning as the waitress from the inn brings out her flintlock with silver bullets, and the mayor, also a werewolf, comes to fight alongside his son Aiden. Turns out there were werewolves trying to break into the other sides of the town but the townsfolk were either werewolves/boars or plain used to fending off these attacks, so the night went without much blood spilled out of anyone who wasn't a sorcerer.

Now I have Leon, my Paladin, trying to deal with the fact he has been cursed with Lycanthropy and now he's gotta find a cure for it while completing the main tasks set up for him with the party.

that is one of the most badass things i've ever read.