Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've slowly been catching up to the series, after finding Boruto generally insufferable in both his movie and the manga version of the movie.

But this is genuinely good stuff. Team 7 is pretty good. Sarada is an actually likable character, and a hundred times more competent than Sakura ever was, while only having a fraction of the psychological issues that Sasuke had (has?). I also like Boruto much more than the horribly spoiled Brat of his movie depiction. He's still a spoiled brat, but he has redeeming qualities. Mitsuki is also really interesting, and his fixation on Boruto seems paradoxically much healthier than Sakura's infatuation with Sasuke-kun :gag:

The team dynamics are a joy to watch. Boruto's support for Sarada's ambition to become Hokage is such a refreshing change to Sasuke's dismissal of Naruto's wish to become Hokage. And now in the latest episode, I half expected Boruto to quote Kakashi's "rule breakers are trash, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than trash" speech. The contrast to Sasuke going with the Sound 4 is really nice, especially how everybody on Team 7 seems to be much more reasonable (for now, let's hope it holds up.)

The whole series feels a lot like the good parts of early Naruto. The other teams are given quite a bit of screen time. Metal Lee's "anxious fist" is a cool counterpart to Rock Lee's "drunken fist". It's also really nice that they regularly hang out with each other. I don't remember this from Naruto. To be fair, it's more than a decade ago, but the teams usually didn't mix too much outside of ninja school/missions.

The small scale works really well, and the big Otsusuki staff is far weaker. That bullshit flash forward to a destroyed Konoha is actually a detriment to this story. I don't need battles on the level of Obito, Madara or Kaguya any more. Naruto and Sasuke being present in the world doesn't invalidate the small scale challenges Boruto and co. face imho.

I actually liked a lot of Naruto Shippuden, even though I found the Kaguya stuff mostly superfluous. But I'm not sure I want to see a world where Naruto doesn't die of old age. How ridiculous do the enemies have to be to beat Nine-Tails Sage Mode and the Rinnegan? As ridiculous as Momoshiki, which this anime doesn't need. I'm not opposed to a time skip and a power level creep for Boruto, but I hope the story takes it's time and doesn't escalate the threat to the point where ninja are again casually dropping meteors on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

I've slowly been catching up to the series, after finding Boruto generally insufferable in both his movie and the manga version of the movie.

But this is genuinely good stuff. Team 7 is pretty good. Sarada is an actually likable character, and a hundred times more competent than Sakura ever was, while only having a fraction of the psychological issues that Sasuke had (has?). I also like Boruto much more than the horribly spoiled Brat of his movie depiction. He's still a spoiled brat, but he has redeeming qualities. Mitsuki is also really interesting, and his fixation on Boruto seems paradoxically much healthier than Sakura's infatuation with Sasuke-kun :gag:

The team dynamics are a joy to watch. Boruto's support for Sarada's ambition to become Hokage is such a refreshing change to Sasuke's dismissal of Naruto's wish to become Hokage. And now in the latest episode, I half expected Boruto to quote Kakashi's "rule breakers are trash, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than trash" speech. The contrast to Sasuke going with the Sound 4 is really nice, especially how everybody on Team 7 seems to be much more reasonable (for now, let's hope it holds up.)

The whole series feels a lot like the good parts of early Naruto. The other teams are given quite a bit of screen time. Metal Lee's "anxious fist" is a cool counterpart to Rock Lee's "drunken fist". It's also really nice that they regularly hang out with each other. I don't remember this from Naruto. To be fair, it's more than a decade ago, but the teams usually didn't mix too much outside of ninja school/missions.

The small scale works really well, and the big Otsusuki staff is far weaker. That bullshit flash forward to a destroyed Konoha is actually a detriment to this story. I don't need battles on the level of Obito, Madara or Kaguya any more. Naruto and Sasuke being present in the world doesn't invalidate the small scale challenges Boruto and co. face imho.

I actually liked a lot of Naruto Shippuden, even though I found the Kaguya stuff mostly superfluous. But I'm not sure I want to see a world where Naruto doesn't die of old age. How ridiculous do the enemies have to be to beat Nine-Tails Sage Mode and the Rinnegan? As ridiculous as Momoshiki, which this anime doesn't need. I'm not opposed to a time skip and a power level creep for Boruto, but I hope the story takes it's time and doesn't escalate the threat to the point where ninja are again casually dropping meteors on people.

To be fair Momoshiki getting his face blasted by the invisible Rasengan was great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've been watching on and off on Hulu and it really feels like Boruto hit a "Very Special Naruteens" stride there with Metal (I can be socially anxious and thats ok!) And Chocho (I dont need a ninja eating disorder/to hide my personality because I'm loving awesome as is). I kind of like it having that tack, even if the Naruto fans are likely aged out of those concerns.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
This week on Boruto: Boruto faces some Greek trials, although there more japanese, and more snakey. This is deffo some ancient greek story modified, can't remember which though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

This week on Boruto: Boruto faces some Greek trials, although there more japanese, and more snakey. This is deffo some ancient greek story modified, can't remember which though.

Also for some reason there were two episodes today instead of one, not that I'm complaining.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

Also for some reason there were two episodes today instead of one, not that I'm complaining.

Pokemon is on break until the switch to Sunday these two shows will have, so maybe they decided to jump on that open slot this week.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
https://readms.net/r/boruto/027/5362/1

New Chapter is out with info on the Anime schedule switch (Sunday nights @ 5:30 starting 10/7)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the dub for the Boruto anime just started recently, anybody checked it out yet? If so how was it?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Apparently the dub for the Boruto anime just started recently, anybody checked it out yet? If so how was it?

Older Hinata sounds a lot better than Older Naruto, ya'know?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Older Hinata sounds a lot better than Older Naruto, ya'know?

Are they both still voiced by the same actresses from the previous two shows as is the case with the Japanese version?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, how many weeks of Boruto's Dad's Son clashing with Even More Emo Sasuke are we going to get?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Say Nothing posted:

So, how many weeks of Boruto's Dad's Son clashing with Even More Emo Sasuke are we going to get?

Huh? Who's the Even More Emo Sasuke? I'm positively surprised that there's no Emo Sasuke at all so far!

I haven't seen today's episode, it there an Emo Sasuke? :ohdear:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm talking about the manga, you know, whathisname, the one who looks like he shops at Hot Topic.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Not many people are reading the manga cus it's pretty poo poo.

Given the flashforward at the start of the series I'm going to guess the pissfighting with Kawaki is going to continue until the day the series ends.

Speaking of the manga though, the entire Kara group looks horrible.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Say Nothing posted:

I'm talking about the manga, you know, whathisname, the one who looks like he shops at Hot Topic.

Oh, I stopped reading the manga some time ago. The anime so far has exceeded my expectations quite a bit, and I'm not even looking at spoilers anymore. I will enjoy Boruto as long as possible before it inevitably devolves into poo poo. The very opening of the manga was already the weakest part. The anime has actually good filler, and it expanded the bits of the manga I've read before in a very enjoyable way. They are doing a really good job.

I think there's no Boruto manga thread, so personally I wouldn't mind if people talk about the manga in here, as long as they use spoilers. But I don't know what the others in this thread think about that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Oh, I stopped reading the manga some time ago. The anime so far has exceeded my expectations quite a bit, and I'm not even looking at spoilers anymore. I will enjoy Boruto as long as possible before it inevitably devolves into poo poo. The very opening of the manga was already the weakest part. The anime has actually good filler, and it expanded the bits of the manga I've read before in a very enjoyable way. They are doing a really good job.

I think there's no Boruto manga thread, so personally I wouldn't mind if people talk about the manga in here, as long as they use spoilers. But I don't know what the others in this thread think about that.

Though the opening of the manga was also the first scene of the anime so the guy in question will still be showing up eventually. I'm hoping they delay getting to the manga content as long as possible though, or at the very least adapt it in a different way like they did with the movie recently.

Also, in case anyone wasn't clear Boruto airs on Sundays now starting today.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 7, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Larryb posted:

Though the opening of the manga was also the first scene of the anime so the guy in question will still be showing up eventually. I'm hoping they delay getting to the manga content as long as possible though, or at the very least adapt it in a different way like they did with the movie recently.

Also, in case anyone wasn't clear Boruto airs on Sundays now starting today.

Yeah, I know that they share the first scene, which is why I wrote that I will enjoy Boruto as long as possible. It will eventually turn to this dumb plot point, and the manga might already be there, judging by Say Nothing's post. But right now, the anime is still very good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ninja Politics time

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Say Nothing posted:

Probably 0 given the last few pages.

It's pretty amazing how well Sarada turned out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hypocrisy posted:

Probably 0 given the last few pages.

It's pretty amazing how well Sarada turned out.

Probably a result of not being raised by Sasuke.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Probably a result of not being raised by Sasuke.

Yeah, while Sakura doesn't usually make the best decisions (in fact as far as their rivalry goes I think Ino kind won out completely all things considered) but she does at least seem fairly competent in areas not related to love or combat. But yeah, Sarada has a pretty good head on her shoulders and as a result may not wind up falling into the same trap that most other major Uchiha in this series did. Staying out of his daughter's life as much as possible may have ironically been the best thing Sasuke could have possibly done for her.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
also the fact that there's no grand puppetmaster to drive sarada to make the same mistakes sasuke did def helps too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I dunno, Sai's kid seems like he's a reddit visit away from going full on MRA

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Dexo posted:

I dunno, Sai's kid seems like he's a reddit visit away from going full on MRA

I feel like he just doesn't know any better and is just repeating what he thinks he knows, but he would switch to the opposite stance without hesitation if given a good enough argument to do so

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

After watching way more Shippuden than I intended to, I have to say that I appreciate the fact that Naruto is both the well-deserved village hero and the village idiot, at the same time, until the very end. And considering how he treats his family in Boruto... well, his son is giving him a run for the money, but Naruto still holds the village idiot all-time championship belt by a comfortable margin.

Also, :doh: Mitsuke is obviously a result of Orochimaru experimenting with White Zetsus.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

After watching way more Shippuden than I intended to, I have to say that I appreciate the fact that Naruto is both the well-deserved village hero and the village idiot, at the same time, until the very end. And considering how he treats his family in Boruto... well, his son is giving him a run for the money, but Naruto still holds the village idiot all-time championship belt by a comfortable margin.

Also, :doh: Mitsuke is obviously a result of Orochimaru experimenting with White Zetsus.

Which is fine, because White Zetsu's aren't human and Orochimaru is a cool guy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Aren't White Zetsu's clones of the first Hokage?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It's complicated. There's some dumb MGS-level plot twisting concerning them. Madara *thought* they were his idea and straight up clones of Hashirama, but they were originally people tethered and absorbed by the Shinju in the past. When Madara came around, he thought he was just making Hashirama clones, but they were actually the regurgitated enslaved people who were spit back out. To be clear, they apparently do have some Hashirama in them, but they weren't his clones.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This thread is still alive, what the gently caress? And it sounds like Bort is actually good now? 2018 is bizarre.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tonfa posted:

This thread is still alive, what the gently caress? And it sounds like Bort is actually good now? 2018 is bizarre.

I like it. I think it captures a lot of what made pre-timeskip Naruto good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Boruto anime has always been good, it's the manga that sucks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Larryb posted:

The Boruto anime has always been good, it's the manga that sucks.

I can't speak to the later manga, but I can confirm that I didn't find the first few issues very engaging. The anime did so much more with the material, it's a big difference.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I can't speak to the later manga, but I can confirm that I didn't find the first few issues very engaging. The anime did so much more with the material, it's a big difference.

I think it's improved slightly now that the movie adaption is over and it's on to original content but in my opinion the anime is still better overall.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mitsuki Retrieval Arc is the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, except done well. Boruto and Mitsuki straight up admit they don't actually know each other very well at all, and yet I can still buy they nonetheless care about each very much anyway in a way I never really could with Naruto and Sasuke.

so yeah, bort is good. who knew.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and Sekiei owns

it's gonna destroy me when he dies

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One important difference to the Sasuke Retrieval Arc is that Mitsuki has every right to worry whether his feelings for Boruto are artificial or genuine. We know these group are villains, but Mitsuki didn't have that knowledge. It's difficult to fully judge his actions because we don't know what they said to him to get him to come, but so far all he did makes far more sense than what Sasuke did when he went with the Sound 4.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also these guys unlike the Sound 4 are sympathetic in a way.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I like Bort-era Sasuke, surprisingly. Yeah he's a bad dad, but who didn't see that coming? Had the stupid beat out of him, had a few years to work on atonement, matured out of emo-ness despite the haircut. Still an emotional cripple but acknowledges and accepts it, loves his family to the best of his limited ability, understands that redemption will take the rest of his life and keeps working at it. Also feels more like a legit badass rather than a dumb kid playing with eyehax.

Retrieval-arc Sasuke was honestly mostly just Sasuke jealous as gently caress that Naruto was catching up to him in power level, so he had to go play Cain to Naruto's Abel and climb in the van with the "free power" sign driven by a creepy snake-themed pedophile. Mitsuki grappling with the concept of free will is a lot more compelling than that. Also, I don't see the Mitsuki situation being anything but temporary, the bad guy in this arc obviously just wants to vivisect Mitsuki to steal Orochimaru's secret sauce to apply to his own artificial humans, Mitsuki's a smart kid and will figure that out quickly and then it's time for Team Seven to pay them a beating/figure out the true meaning of friendship/save Christmas/etc.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 8, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My eye twitches every time I see Mitsuke and not Mitsuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Bort, Salad, and Mitsuke