Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
How does a hibernating subspecies with a neural cortex malfunction still represent the debauched rich and their inherently unsustainable predation on the poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Read Blindsight and find out!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blindsight is one of those novels where the author doesn't come across as smart, so much as desperately wanting to convince you that he's smart

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Things by the same guy is dope tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Peter Watts is a huge weirdo but Blindsight is genuinely a great book.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
He got himself banned from entering the US for being a dick to a border guard so he's basically a hero imo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

Peter Watts is a huge weirdo but Blindsight is genuinely a great book.

The short story with The Thing is good through 99% of it but the last line, worded the way it is, just sounds desperately edgelordy

Like, I want to grab him by his lapels and shake him. "No, Peter Watts," I would say, "Do not have written these words at this time"

I still went to the library yesterday and borrowed Echopraxia

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
has someone posted https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/891159650816491520 yet

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Blindsights one of those novels where the author doesn't come across as smart, so much as desperately wanting to convince you that he's smart

Echopraxia is even worse on that, and if you hated Blindsight, Exchopraxia would piss you right off.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i like the part in blindsight where the vampire uses screaming human faces as high dimensional data visualization and it turns out in the references that the author was assuming that chernoff faces were the gold standard high tech technique for multidimensional data

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tree Goat posted:

i like the part in blindsight where the vampire uses screaming human faces as high dimensional data visualization and it turns out in the references that the author was assuming that chernoff faces were the gold standard high tech technique for multidimensional data

How has this thread reached 180 pages without me ever hearing about chernoff faces, these things seem like the peak of awful/funny graphs and charts:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Red Bones posted:

How has this thread reached 180 pages without me ever hearing about chernoff faces, these things seem like the peak of awful/funny graphs and charts:

What the gently caress

Miyagi is so smug

Iowa is tripping balls

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the old vampire folklore of the Balkans vampirism is even more contagious. Not only do the victims of vampires become vampires but anyone who eats the meat of a animal killed by a vampire also becomes a vampire. Heck a vampire looking at a pregnant woman can be enough to make sure her baby becomes a vampire if she doesn't take the proper precautions.

Other ways to becoming a vampire:
-Committing suicide
-Being a witch (or just a weirdo/social outcast)
-Not being baptized
-Blood splurting on bare skin when you're staking a corpse
-A cat jumping over your dead body
-The body being left alone long enough to be corrupted by evil spirits and/or Satan
-Converting to Islam from Christianity
-Just really not wanting to die (this one seems to be most common in Bulgaria where the vampires eat poop and love wrestling)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Red Bones posted:

East Germany: :stare:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the old vampire folklore of the Balkans vampirism is even more contagious. Not only do the victims of vampires become vampires but anyone who eats the meat of a animal killed by a vampire also becomes a vampire. Heck a vampire looking at a pregnant woman can be enough to make sure her baby becomes a vampire if she doesn't take the proper precautions.

-Committing suicide
-Not being baptized
-The body being left alone long enough to be corrupted by evil spirits and/or Satan
-Just really not wanting to die (this one seems to be most common in Bulgaria where the vampires eat poop and love wrestling)

Interesting. Could you perhaps display this information by means of chart and/or graph?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Dixville

Edit I'm just loving with you that actually is pretty interesting

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Is
Is there a legend that's supposed to go along with this?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ishikabibble posted:

Is

"The face people make when we tell them that they have lung cancer"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think you need to be in the same mindframe as the researcher who came up with the display method, so just microdose some lsd

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think a microdose is going to get you there.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ishikabibble posted:

Is

yes.

the variables are age-standardized incidence rate, proportion of incident cases, time trend in incidence, mean age at diagnosis, histological verification, mortality/incidence ratio, death certificate only cases and duration of cancer registration. they map to mouth curvature, hair length, # forehead wrinkles, nose height, ear height, eye height, eye vertical position, and mouth vertical position. the exact mapping is behind a paywall and i can't be assed to look it up.

so the whole idea with chernoff faces is that we're good at summarizing/clustering faces rapidly (like, we're extremely good at finding the single frowning face in a sea of smiling faces, or determining if a crowd of people are generally happy or sad), so you come up with a mapping (the original paper used 13 or so dimensions including face shape and so on) and then you cluster the faces together or identify outliers (so dixville's "iowa is tripping balls" is a legitimate insight in this epidemiological dataset).

here's an example from the nyt:

an unfortunate set of problems is that these suck so bad and that's not how face perception works really and you have to get really lucky with your encodings for you to reliably see anything important.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Tony La Russa has seen some poo poo

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well this puts Rusev Day in a whole new light.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Committing suicide
-Not being baptized

I assume by "love wrestling" you mean that they enjoy grappling with people/vampires, but I prefer to believe you mean they watch Hell In A Cell with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Goat posted:

an unfortunate set of problems is that these suck so bad and that's not how face perception works really and you have to get really lucky with your encodings for you to reliably see anything important.

Another problem is that facial expressions carry emotional meaning loaded into them, and if you map your variables badly, you might end up with say, Miyagi up there who's just so loving pleased with himself about getting lung cancer.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Another problem is that facial expressions carry emotional meaning loaded into them, and if you map your variables badly, you might end up with say, Miyagi up there who's just so loving pleased with himself about getting lung cancer.

right, for instance:
(not my work, thankfully)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The death penalty in Texas really shouldn't be described by a smiling brown-skinned person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter posted:

The death penalty in Texas really shouldn't be described by a smiling brown-skinned person.

Nebraska checks out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

Do you prefer the winky brown faces

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Really confused as to why they made the younger executions the smiley face and not the frown.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Tree Goat posted:

right, for instance:

i'm sorry, i didn't realize we were loving zyklon b-ing people in mississippi, new mexica, nevada and cali loving fornia well after ww2

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

:hmmyes:

Any more where that came from?

(Where did those come from?)

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Jordan Peterson lecture slides lookin' pretty Timecube-y.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Vavrek posted:

Alchemy is still a thing in 2018, but that looks way more J-Petesey.

At least getting deeply into alchemy will only kill you, sicken your family, and poison your living & working spaces. poo poo's way healthier, I imagine.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

i'm sorry, i didn't realize we were loving zyklon b-ing people in mississippi, new mexica, nevada and cali loving fornia well after ww2

Nah, it's hydrogen cyanide (aka prussic acid). Which is much better!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Vavrek posted:

Jordan Peterson's book Maps of Meaning. It's a trip.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tree Goat posted:

right, for instance:

64-98

gently caress you Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ugh a guy I kinda know who comes into my morning coffee shop at the same time as me engaged me with JPetes bs the yesterday. He was using the "but have you read the longer version!" argument and it just started my day on a sour note.