Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Remember when "superpredator" was a thing people were wringing their hands about?

Real cool there's gonna be one on the scotus for a couple generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

at least we defeated killer bees

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

ded posted:

Nothing matters. He will be confirmed.

Then another Supreme Court judge will retire/die and Trump will get to pick #3.

Good luck women.

He'll likely (I'm slightly less pessimistic about it that this time yesterday) get confirmed, and it does matter. That poo poo doesn't fly with anyone my age (late 30s) or younger, and jesus, good luck if you're a republican and try to campaign to women voters.

A lot of people saw this poo poo.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

ded posted:

Nothing matters. He will be confirmed.

Then another Supreme Court judge will retire/die and Trump will get to pick #3.

Good luck women.

this.

I feel like every future mandatory sexual assault briefing which encourages women to report and/or receive medical treatment should come with

" *unless accused is in a position of power"

The DOD actually had made progress in addressing this horrible aspect of our culture by some metrics, and to see the literal embodiment of justice filled by a prep school political operative who is at the very least, a complete piece of poo poo....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hexyflexy posted:

He'll likely (I'm slightly less pessimistic about it that this time yesterday) get confirmed, and it does matter. That poo poo doesn't fly with anyone my age (late 30s) or younger, and jesus, good luck if you're a republican and try to campaign to women voters.

A lot of people saw this poo poo.

What is he even doing there as a nominee then?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

They thought they could get away with it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FAUXTON posted:

He's Kennedy's boy

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I feel like everyone in the GOP has made the following calculation:

Trump specifically select Kavanaugh for his views on Presidential authority. Primarily to try and secure the Supreme Court against challenges to Trump’s corruption/bad acts/heinous poo poo.

The rest of the GOP fall in line because of some sunk cost fallacy. They’ve all already capitulated so if Trump goes down, they’re all hosed.

And they’re all moral and literal cowards so none of them will stand up for anything other than naked self interest.

And you bet your rear end they’ll ignore every word they said in praise of Dear Leader if the plan fails for Dems take control because, again, the GOP is fueled by purely naked self-interest and the control of power for its own sake.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought anglicans didn't care about abortion and catholics cared a lot.

Have DoJ interpret crossing state lines to get an abortion an "immoral purpose" and let Mann act and Chevron take its course.

I'm not a lawyer so explain the latter part to me.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

at least we defeated killer bees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tnWFojtcY
Did we?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/lacomtessejamie/status/1045113354120048640?s=21

And:

https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1045432536992702465?s=21

:lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Not even a mention of cocktails and wine. All that privilege and yet no taste at all.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

This is old as hell, but it went through my head a couple times when he got caught on the word and couldn't get away from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU2uGBEL43s
nsfw for cartoon nudity I guess.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm not a lawyer so explain the latter part to me.

IANAL and IIRC Mann act covers traveling across state lines to have sex

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

i'm glad we got the dog and pony show today that won't matter and that nobody will be talking about by monday.

Speaking of, what was the end result of the obamacare kerfuffle?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/politics/kavanaugh-american-bar-association/index.html

bar association calling for fbi investigation

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

Individual mandate was struck down, goes away in 2019.

This basically means a death spiral because a non-zero portion of healthy people paying into the pool will stop as the baby boomers require even more care, which means prices go up on the remainder, which means even more people stop paying into the pool, which means...

And it's basically just in time for the 2020 election.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's a pity. This current one reminded me of that time, there were so many instances of defeated votes, the naked greed of the republicans being exposed and so on and so on and i guess in the end they won anyway.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know we can like, act to shore it up or replace it, right

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and before you tell me its politically impossible, i dont care about that. solutions can come from outside the process, and we need to come to terms w that and act on it. we could call it direct action lmao

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just to be clear modmans thats not a veiled threat lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Did they bring up his alcohol dependence at all? Really shows in the face.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Post from reddit but holy poo poo did the ABA just come out and gave us a saving throw

Graham: "Here's my understanding, if you lived a good life people will recognize it like the American Bar Association has, the gold standard."

Kavanaugh: "I have the unanimous, well qualified rating from the American Bar Association."

American Bar Association: "Delay Kavanaugh until FBI investigates assault allegations

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/politics/kavanaugh-american-bar-association/index.html

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Soulex posted:

Post from reddit but holy poo poo did the ABA just come out and gave us a saving throw

Graham: "Here's my understanding, if you lived a good life people will recognize it like the American Bar Association has, the gold standard."

Kavanaugh: "I have the unanimous, well qualified rating from the American Bar Association."

American Bar Association: "Delay Kavanaugh until FBI investigates assault allegations

They actually have to care, for their own reasons, if this:

Becomes what everyone thinks about them in the morning.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1045505403885432832?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Jaguars! posted:

Right now, there's a multi-state lawsuit pending in a federal court in Texas (I believe), where red states are suing to throw out the whole healthcare law because of that Republican meddling thing. A form of "wellllll if Congress killed the individual mandate so there's no form of taxing left, gently caress the supreme court, this law is unconstitutional now" and a federal judge is set to buy off on that argument. It's dumb as hell on a neutral legal review, but the judge they pulled is the same one that's yelled about DAPA/DACA. That decision could come any day now.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Town Hall link

This townhall thing is wishful thinking/bullshit. McConnell doesn't have the floor votes yet. Flake will probably cave and vote it out of committee this morning, but they still don't know about Murkowski/Collins/Manchin. Flake could pull a surprise on the floor vote, but that's doubtful.

My prediction: 51-49, Manchin and Collins vote yes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Soulex posted:

Nope. Republicans have been actively nominating and confirming judges with the worst possible ABA rating and getting them confirmed. Two so far, I believe, with a lot of mediocre ratings.

Republicans will do what they do consistently in the Trump era. If a group like the ABA gives them a positive review, they'll blast out press releases about it and tout it in interviews. If that group changes their mind, down the memory hole it goes - Who is the ABA? Never heard of them, nobody's ever heard of them, they don't matter, confirm the judge he fights the libs USAUSAUSA

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think he gets confirmed by Pence casting the tie breaking vote. I don't see Manchin defecting, but I see Murkowski voting no and Flake voting yes because he's been one of the more reliable Trump voting senators despite his talk.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

A comment from a Slate article regarding something from the future of the Darkest Timeline:

:d2a:

Jesus loving christ

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In other news Elon Musk got sued by the SEC today and they want him barred from running public companies :classiclol:

He got sued late yesterday because he canceled the settlement deal they had reached yesterday morning. The SEC then rushed that complaint in to sue.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

I think he gets confirmed by Pence casting the tie breaking vote. I don't see Manchin defecting, but I see Murkowski voting no and Flake voting yes because he's been one of the more reliable Trump voting senators despite his talk.

Pretty sure manchin said he was going to vote yes unless "real evidence" shows up backing Ford's testimony. Same with collins

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Reading the Economist this morning, they had a pretty good analysis of the whole Kavanaugh debacle.

The Economist posted:

Some have wondered why Mr Trump does not withdraw Mr Kavanaugh’s nomination in favour of an equally conservative judge, such as Amy Coney Barrett. But to ask that is to misunderstand contemporary Republican politics which, under Mr Trump’s leadership, has become less about ideals than about power and dominance. Withdrawing Mr Kavanaugh would mean admitting that historical accusations of sexual assault can be disqualifying, which leads back to the president.

In his book about the Trump White House, Bob Woodward quotes the president advising a friend accused of sexual misconduct: “You’ve got to deny, deny, deny and push back on these women…If you admit to anything and any culpability, then you’re dead.” If such attitudes lead the Republicans to mid-term losses on the back of energised female turnout (and candidacy), that may start to push the party towards a reckoning with Trumpism.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yeah you don't get burst blood vessels like that without a lot of heavy drinking

also lol at the whole 'WELL DO YOU HAVE A DRINKING PROBLEM'

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Good morning. Even if Dems take the House and/or Senate just imagine the horrible poo poo that’s going to sail through the lame duck session.

Including confirming old Brett if they haven’t already.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Chuds are complaining about killary having ample evidence of wrong doing and being free and not charged, while this sham trial is taking place based upon a drunken memory.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If the republicans have the floor votes then all the red state dems up for reelection will probably vote for them. It'll be 53-ish yeas. Because it wouldn't change the outcome, and the math for those dems isn't energizing your base to vote for you, it's to give the guys voting against you a reason to stay home.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://mobile.twitter.com/rabrowne75/status/1045327595120865280

*Hands out medals

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Is Brett Drinksalot a supreme judge yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
The Judiciary Committee votes this morning, but even if Flake defects and votes no McConnell can still bring a floor vote because senate rules are weird. Tomorrow they’ll vote and because it won’t be unanimous the actual no-poo poo real deal vote will be Monday or Tuesday.

iKon fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 28, 2018

• Locked thread