Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

GC controller is nice but all the buttons are in weird places. I like that most controllers across platforms have the same arrangement now. Also the C stick should just be a regular stick.

The buttons are in objectively the correct places and nobody else has seen the light since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Worst controller: n64
Best: GC
Honorable mention: Switch Pro (no analog triggers)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty much all modern controllers are fine imo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

Pretty much all modern controllers are fine imo

It’s the first gen where I’d declare the PlayStation controller as decent.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Poor battery life. Stupid touchpad. Dumb lights. But other than that it's fine.

Not even close to the pro or the bone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeANMcBAY posted:

edit: I just realized I misread what you said entirely, leaving this anyway but no need to answer. DualShock controller was a massive move forward though.

The launch one, or the dualshock? Everyone forgets the terrible PS1 controller without analog sticks that was the only option for years, it actually came out in the second half the generation if you look at PS1 PS2 and DS1 release dates.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Poor battery life. Stupid touchpad. Dumb lights. But other than that it's fine.

Not even close to the pro or the bone.

Those are all right but I prefer it to Xbox. The Xbox controller has awkward shoulder buttons and a callus inducing rough texture on the sticks that I don’t understand the thinking behind.

The Switch Pro would be one of the best controllers ever if the dpad was accurate.:smith:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Worst controller: n64
Best: GC
Honorable mention: Switch Pro (no analog triggers)

n64 controller was not even close to the worst, general design-wise or comfort wise.

Granted the stick tech was garbage long-term, but it was also the first modern analog stick so it gets a bit of a pass. The addition of a true trigger and the options to use one controller multiple ways have been greatly refined but are descended from that beast.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Golf Story is on sale now. Galf is already sold out after 2 mins.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Bloop posted:

n64 controller was not even close to the worst, general design-wise or comfort wise.

Granted the stick tech was garbage long-term, but it was also the first modern analog stick so it gets a bit of a pass. The addition of a true trigger and the options to use one controller multiple ways have been greatly refined but are descended from that beast.

Look at these kids who are too young to remember the Dreamcast controller. Trash.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Nintendo felt that most games would use the D-pad which is why the natural grip is on the D-pad. It's also why the Analog stick isn't that great.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I had a dreamcast. I loved it. I convinced all of my friends to buy dreamcasts and we had fighting game tournaments after school several times a week. I have spent more time playing the dreamcast than every other console put together.

That controller loving sucked.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Look at these kids who are too young to remember the Dreamcast controller. Trash.

I got an NES to when it was new you doofus. Also, the N64 came out three years before the dreamcast so what the gently caress are you talking about

pixaal posted:

Nintendo felt that most games would use the D-pad which is why the natural grip is on the D-pad. It's also why the Analog stick isn't that great.

I always found the middle grip to feel more natural, but that's probably because all the launch games DID use analog, so.... source?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not a lot of people remember that Goldeneye 64 had the first twin-stick control scheme, which required using two N64 controllers at once. I never tried that, I should have.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is some dumb motherfucker saying good things about the Dreamcast controller in here?

Goldeneye let you use the C buttons to move and the stick to aim which is close enough to twin stick controls

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Robotron 64 with two controllers made me feel like a god in 1999

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not a lot of people remember that Goldeneye 64 had the first twin-stick control scheme, which required using two N64 controllers at once. I never tried that, I should have.

I have emulated it and mapped the 2 controllers to a single 360. It still doesnt feel good at all but because of acceleration and other things that took years to iron out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not a lot of Switch discussion in the Switch thread I see

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The DC controller was okay, a slightly redesigned Saturn analogue pad with worse triggers.

The N64 controller was a trash fire though, although almost sane compared to the Jaguar.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's been plenty, we're currently having a side convo about the evolution of controllers which is relevant because of Hori's new D-pad joycon.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

One game I don't see mentioned for co-op much is pixel junk monsters 2. Now they have patched the camera it's a great little 2 player game. Very chill to play and the art style is beautiful.

what did they fix about the camera? I haven't played it in a few weeks

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I managed to break the hinge on the right trigger on three Dreamcast controllers so that's obviously the worst one.

Also, the Wavebird sucked. No rumble made it on par with the Sixaxis.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I believe literally no one has bought Pilot WingsSports.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I still wish the dam tha worked on Rouge Squadron got to release their nearly complete Wii Pilot Wings. That looked dope as hell and it’s integration with the weather channel to have real time weather on the globe was cool

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Jaguar probably should win for worst controller because by that point they should have been extremely aware that the intellivision controller design was dead as hell

SelenicMartian posted:

I believe literally no one has bought Pilot WingsSports.

And I never will

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Barudak posted:

The Jaguar probably should win for worst controller because by that point they should have been extremely aware that the intellivision controller design was dead as hell

And I never will

I think the Nokia N-Gage has the worst controller

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4mH6lXetO4

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

sometimes i feel like i'm the last human on earth that can grasp smaller objects by closing my hand further

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My base PS4's controller is starting to show its age, the battery life is starting to plunge, I somehow lost a chunk of the left stick pad, and the right trigger is not working 100% the time (frustrating with Spider-Man).

It may be the best DualShock yet but it's still a mediocre controller.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

asecondduck posted:

My base PS4's controller is starting to show its age, the battery life is starting to plunge, I somehow lost a chunk of the left stick pad, and the right trigger is not working 100% the time (frustrating with Spider-Man).

It may be the best DualShock yet but it's still a mediocre controller.

The Dpads have started failing to register left one 3 of the 4 I own.

Joycons are great but I'm a little worried about their lifespan, there is some creaking when i click in the left stick already.

I have giant hands (I liked the duke) but I still love me some joycons they're really nice and I can play games while cradling my child which is nice and I'm a good parent.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I might say good things about the Dreamcast controller

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does anyone know if the block clipping and screen wrapping glitch tech works in the NES app version of Zelda 1, and if it does, is there a good guide on how to do it? The one on Red Candle doesn't really cover it well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

whaley posted:

I might say good things about the Dreamcast controller

Where else you gonna put your VMU's? :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is smash going to have dlc?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's what happens when there's no games and the system is dead.

Oh wait, my bad; thought this was the Vita thread! :haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Cube controller is very comfortable to hold and it's a perfect controller... For games specifically designed for it. It was terrible for VC games on Wii. Super Metroid was nightmarish with it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cube controller with a proper right analog stick (maybe a left bumper too) is my ideal controller. If a 3rd party one exists tell me. I will use it on everything

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bombadilillo posted:

Does this thread love anime titties and hate weapon degradation while posting spoiler tagged Hollow Knight questions?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bombadilillo posted:

Could go either way. Last time they announced that it would have DLC in the last direct before it's release. There is probably one smash direct left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Does this thread love anime titties and hate weapon degradation while posting spoiler tagged Hollow Knight questions?

Controversial, more controversial, and...yes

So.. probably but some people will hate it.
Checks out

• Locked thread