Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

8. The Ritual (2017)

I've seen quite a few people here and in the horror thread include this on their best horror of the year lists, and I am inclined to agree. I love how it starts off sort of Blair Witch-y but gets weirder and wilder as it goes on - I wasn't really expecting it to turn into a (minor non-specific spoiler) monster movie. The design of the creature is awesome. I found much of the film to be really tense and legit scary, and I loved the Norse mythology stuff. Highly recommended, especially if you like folk horror films like The Wicker Man or Kill List. If you have Netflix, definitely check it out.

9. Child's Play (1988)

I haven't seen this in many years and was pleasantly surprised by how well it holds up. I love when Chucky reveals himself to Karen and goes from a standard creepy doll to a psychopathic little rear end in a top hat. Brad Dourif's voice really makes the character, and the effects are all pretty good. Overall it is less bloody than I remembered, but the voodoo doll scene is pretty gruesome. I've got the blu-ray set of the first 6 films in the series and was only planning on watching the first two, but I may try to fit them all in before Halloween. I've only seen this one and Bride of Chucky, so it should be fun.

Movies Seen: The Witching Season | Lifeforce | Terrifier | Unsane | I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House | From Beyond | 13 Ghosts | The Ritual | Child's Play
Total: 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I love that this kind of awesome poo poo is showing up in this thread. Vampyr is a trippy masterpiece. I love how it screws around with conventional film language to serve its dreamlike, disorienting vibe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

It was one of my favorites from 2016. It's a slow burn with amazing visuals. Imagine Mad Max: Road Warrior filmed like Lawrence of Arabia but with The Hateful 8's pacing.

It's a polarizing experience, but I love the weird world it portrays.

That's a decent way to put it. I loved the movie but can absolutely see where others would hate it. Also have A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night on the docket for October rhanks to it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

10. Resolution (2012)

A solid enough low-budget atmospheric horror movie that nevertheless had its handful of issues. There was some really creepy stuff in here, especially once the early red herrings fell aside and the central mystery of the movie started. The focus on old AV equipment showcasing the "stories" added to that atmosphere. My main issue is with Vinny Curran, the guy who played Chris. I just don't think he was a strong enough actor to handle portraying a meth addict in the throes of withdrawal. There are so many scenes of him just being a normal jerk handcuffed to a pipe that it hurts the central (non-supernatural) conflict of the movie.

I'm excited to watch The Endless to see if these issues were addressed in the filmmaker's next movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

I love that this kind of awesome poo poo is showing up in this thread. Vampyr is a trippy masterpiece. I love how it screws around with conventional film language to serve its dreamlike, disorienting vibe.

It's just kinda funny how people laud modern movies that steal from this one and call them groundbreaking. People tout Michel Gondry's visual style as amazing stuff, especially in Eternal Sunshine, but it's nothing that Deyer hadn't already done while film language was still being defined.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My theater's pretty cool:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

18. Rodan (1956)

A prehistoric flying dinosaur is awoken by nuclear testing. That may sound familiar to you if you seen a handful of monster movies from this era. Rodan starts off pretty grim, telling the story of a mining operation where people keep going missing. Turns out the titular character has nothing to do with it and the miners are being killed by giant bug creatures underground. This was pretty interesting to me and kind of made me forget about Rodan, making it more surprising when it eventually appeared.

In Rodan you can see a pretty obvious jump up in special effects detail and it was a lot of fun to watch. The creature Rodan is a pterodactyl that can fly at supersonic speeds. It does damage by going so fast it creates sonic booms that make things explode. Such a fun concept that was a joy to watch. Being a flying creature meant that their were a few dog fights, and they were done surprisingly well for the time period.

The finale of Rodan is something to behold. The action packed movie is book ended with some serious emotional weight. It's like it was made for people that teared up at the end of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

19. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

A prehistoric dinosaur is awoken from it's 100 million year slumber after scientists complete a nuclear test in the arctic. Yeah, this is a plot device that has be reused so many times, but I believe this was it's first appearance. The dinosaur that awakens is put to life by the stop motion effects of Ray Harryhausen, and I have to say, it still looks pretty sweet in 2018. We get to see the fictional Rhedosaurus pretty early on in the movie, but then kind of sparingly up until the finale.

The sprinkling of creature scenes should be enough to propel the viewer to the end, but I think that the scenes in between these can get kind of dull. It's mostly just a couple of scientists trying to convince other people that the dinosaur is real and the main character is not crazy or hallucinating.

Overall The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms is an excellent film that has inspired so many of my favorite films and creators, I wholly recommend checking this one out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

55- The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies 1964

I swear, I think the only reason most people sit through this one is because of the title.

It's pretty much everything you'd expect from a bottom of the barrel budget movie, but it does have heart. It's definitely worth it for a bad movie night with friends and ample beer.

56- Dr. Terror's House of Horrors 1965

For disclosure purposes, I freely admit that anthology films are like crack to me.

I believe this is the first of the Amicus anthologies as well as the one which pretty much established the comfortable format of wraparound story with the smaller stories dropped in.

Each of the stories in this one are pretty solid. For a while I wasn't too big on the Voodoo one but it's grown on me over the years.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

M_Sinistrari posted:

55- The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies 1964

I swear, I think the only reason most people sit through this one is because of the title.

It's pretty much everything you'd expect from a bottom of the barrel budget movie, but it does have heart. It's definitely worth it for a bad movie night with friends and ample beer.

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of this is one of my favorite episodes of the entire show.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

6/31

Grave Encounters was released in 2010, right as the found footage genre started to become a bandwagon. In a rather typical framing device, we're watching the supposed lost tapes of the final episode of a ghost hunter TV series as they encounter a haunted asylum that's actually haunted. Being a Canadian production, there's plenty of "oots" and "aboots" through the dialogue.

The film starts with an excellent job setting up the tapes as authentic, from a hilariously dramatic intro shot for cheap in a cemetery and reference bumpers on the raw footage to a fake psychic in goth dress and bad acting from the host whenever he has to get into character. The fictional Grave Encounters TV show is sold to the audience as a typical no-budget haunt show. The film itself also has practically no budget, only $120,000; the set dressing is mostly provided naturally by filming in the vacant buildings of Riverview Hospital, a mental hospital that has been used in dozens of productions.

Because of how intentionally cheesy the TV show is, the film almost starts as a mild comedy. The horrors start for real after the fake medium makes an overdramatic effort to call out a spirit, only for the crew to realize that there's something much more violent and angry in the asylum they've been locked inside.

While the effects later on are legitimately impressive in their creativity and creepiness, they become somewhat marred by the tendency for the cast to react to everything from a slamming door to actual violent apparitions by screaming incoherently and the camera gesticulating like an angry Italian mother. This is a problem that mars virtually all found footage movies, and likely one of the reasons why the glut has started to die out. One legitimately interesting addition is the use of photographs being included in the "documentary" that were developed after the incident to show the ghosts nobody could see.

I'd classify this among the better found footage horror movies by virtue of the creativity shown, but with the caveat that I view found footage movies as inherently flawed due to the nature of the genre. Even setting aside how it was starting to become overplayed when this film is new and 8 years later has been completely run into the ground, the cast and crew has little choice but to film extraneous silence and wandering to fill in time that a traditional movie could spend on content. As realistic as the cast's partially improvised panicking and arguing is, it also becomes grating after a while. While I would comment on the soundtrack, there's absolutely zero non-diegetic music except for the fictional show's intro music at the beginning.

I feel that while it allows for easier special effects (minimizing the time spent visible on screen through shaky cam and distortion), the genre also robs directors and writers of creativity due to the need to be "realistic" at the expense of all else.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 7, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for three wildcards. Only one suggestion per poster. I'll take the first three that are posted. They have to be from this list.

Please and thank you, horror friends.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I'm looking for three wildcards. Only one suggestion per poster. I'll take the first three that are posted. They have to be from this list.

Possession.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Franchescanado posted:

I was going to say Possession.

So, how about Under the Skin

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Martyrs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Possession.

CRAYON posted:

I was going to say Possession.

So, how about Under the Skin

This is one hell of a triple feature. Thanks, friends!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

This is one hell of a triple feature. Thanks, friends!

Get the Prozac ready.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yikes, watching those three movies back to back to back can't be good for a person's mental health.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yikes, watching those three movies back to back to back can't be good for a person's mental health.

I've honestly been in the mood for this kinda marathon for the past two days.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

If all of those are movies you haven't seen yet you are still in for a lot of good stuff

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BioTech posted:

If all of those are movies you haven't seen yet you are still in for a lot of good stuff

There's a few rewatches thrown in there, like Silence of the Lambs and stuff. But those are mostly movies I haven't seen in 5+ years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I was going to say, you haven't seen Near Dark?

8) Lifeforce (1985)

A spaceship investigating Halley's Comet encounters a 150-mile long artichoke and in accordance with the grand tradition of Alien and Quatermass, brings home some alien lifeforms. Needless to say, this is not a good move. The two male aliens are quickly gunned down and disappear until the end of the movie, but the female is not for reasons which are definitely plot-based and have nothing to do with her being a permanently naked 20 year old French girl. Hijinks ensue - a zombie apocalypse, Patrick Stewart getting frenchied by the male lead - before a final confrontation set in the ruin of an exploding Dorset theme park. Some pretty neat effects, also some pretty terrible effects. Unfortunately it's way too long at 116 minutes.

Fun fact: Frank Finlay and Michael Gothard both played non-English characters, but had to use English accents as Mathilda May spoke no English and was learning her lines phonetically from them. Like many things in the movie this makes no sense whatsoever; she's supposed to have learned English from a memory exchange with the American Carlsen, so would logically have picked up his accent.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

I was going to wait until next Monday to start the October challenge, but I want to get a jump on these challenges, so here we go...

Movies set in, or filmed in, Ohio isn't as dire as you may imagine at first. Many of the Scooby-Doo movies take place in "Coolsville, Ohio", and even the thread favorite Trick R' Treat takes place in the fictionalized town of "Warren Valley, Ohio". Then there is the cult favorite, and one of my favorites I just discovered last year, The Dead Next Door, which was filmed in Akron.

But this is the October challenge, and I'm jumping in headfirst. So I present..

The Wednesday Children

This zero budget film was made in 1973 in Wadsworth, Ohio by a professor at Kent State University. This may be the most amateur film I have ever seen. The first 45+ minutes feels like someones home video as they follow a boy and his family to the pool, a baseball game and church, all while introducing characters that seem to be of no importance. The church janitor, a drat, dirty hippie :bahgawd: , starts hanging out with the local group of kids.

If you didn't read a summary of this movie somewhere, you probably wouldn't know what is going on. The 'deaths' (if they even were deaths) are the most ambiguous of any movie, ever. An adult and kid will be in the pool, then the next scene is an abandoned floatie in the pool and the kid shows up somewhere later, and we are suppose to take this to mean the kid killed the adult despite this type of editing happening other times and nothing insidious happened.

With this coming out 3 years prior to Who Can Kill A Child?, and having a strong anti-hippie/ 'liberal' message I think it could have maybe been something in the right directors hands. Not a good something, likely, but something.

If you are looking for an amateur VHS-quality Ohio filmed feature, I recommend Homebodies

:suicide: / out of 5 :spooky:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

17. Nightbreed (1990)

I watched the Director's Cut of this one.

I know I said before it was going to be tricky finding a horror movie filmed/set in Alberta. But not only did I find one but I found one that just screams my home province right down to having an Oilers/Flames game on a TV in the first 10 minutes. Then it just doesn't stop there because the location of Midian where all the monsters are is "north of Athabasca and east of Peace River" which puts it in northern Alberta but instead he drives west into the Rockies. The rest of the quote is "...near Shere Neck and north of Dwyer" but they both don't exist.

I mean, wow, I just had to get that out before talking about this film.

It's about a guy who has been having nightmares about this demonic settlement called Midian and after a meeting with his therapist where he informs him he is a psychopathic killer goes there. The movie itself is low-budget 80s Canadian horror with a surreal setting benefiting from Clive Barker's vision and a great supporting performance by David Cronenberg. I really cannot describe how great Cronenberg was with his trademark deadpan weirdness and it wouldn't be low-budget Canadian horror without him.

The imagination and originality is remarkable and the usage of practical effects is amazing to create this surreal dark world. I really believed there was this hidden world of monsters under a cemetary in the mountains and you start to feel for them.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Edit: Holy crap, I just realized I am over half-way towards my goal of just 31 movies and it's not even October yet. I am going to just keep going here.

Total: 1. The Conjuring 2 (2016), 2. Terrifier (2016), 3. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), 4. Split (2017), 5. The First Purge (2018), 6. Trick 'R Treat (2009), 7. Wolf Creek (2005), 8. King Kong (1976), 9. Halloween II (2009), 10. Pumpkinhead (1988), 11. House on Haunted Hill (1959), 12. House on Haunted Hill (1999), 13. What We Do in the Shadows (2014), 14. Ghostbusters (2016), 15. Bride of Chucky (1998), 16. Seed of Chucky (2004), 17. Nightbreed (1990)

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 28, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day -4 - All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cb3ik6zP2I

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work & no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
  • All work and no
  • play make Jack a dull boy.
  • A l l w o r k a n d n o p l a y m a k e J a c k a d u l l bo y . Allworkandnopl aymakeJackadullboy. All work
  • and
  • no play
  • make Jack
  • a
  • dull boy.
All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

code:
Allworkand        workandnop
  n      o          o      l        
  p      l          w      a
  aymakeJa          laJekamy
  c      k          l         CKADULLBOY.
 adullboy.          A
All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

:allears::backtowork::randno::letsplay::make::jackbud::adull::boy:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

11. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (2004)

I realized this afternoon that I've never actually finished Darkplace, which seems crazy for how often I've recommended it to friends. I just shotgunned the whole 6 episode series and it's just as wonderful as I remembered. The sheer attention to terrible detail in this show is incredible: the bizarre editing choices, the constant unnecessary use of ADR, the proliferation of guns for no reason. Matthew Holness's Garth Marenghi is such a phenomenal character and my favorite parts of most episodes were seeing his neuroses play out in his writing. I know Richard Ayoade has said that he doesn't consider himself a good actor and I think that's an absolute travesty. There's no one else on the planet who could be such a convincing bad actor.

It's all on YouTube. Follow my lead and watch it in full if you haven't. Hell, even if you have, it's still amazing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Random Stranger posted:

Day -4 - All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

I love you.

SMP
May 5, 2009

12. 31 - 1.5/5

quote:

Did you know? You can save money on costly effects by shooting them in close up! The viewer's mind will fill in the blanks, and your gruesome scene could be even scarier! You can even trick your audience into thinking this is completely fine by shooting the entire loving movie in close-up!

There's a reason this was crowdfunded and not studio backed, it reads like a parody of his own work. Just the worst, cringiest dialogue and characters. You can really feel that $1.5 million budget, from the aforementioned camerawork to the parade of nondescript industrial rooms. It's like 25 minutes too long, too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

57- Matango 1963

Each time I sit through this one, I always notice something new.

Film begins with a man in a psychatric hospital recounting what happened to the others on the yacht excursion they'd been on. The yacht got caught in a storm and they ended up stranded on an island. While there and foraging for supplies, they find a shipwreck where the captain's log advices to not eat the mushrooms. We know where this is going to go.

There's lot of lovely nuances in this one. When the mushrooms are growing in the rain, there's a tittery laughter which you're never quite sure are the mushrooms actually making the sound or is this part of the hallucinogenic properties from them and we're hearing what someone who's eaten the mushrooms are hearing.

Thing I noticed this time is the makeup of the people on the yacht's pretty close to the castaways on Gilligan's Island with the Skipper, crewman, rich guy, professor, movie star and good girl. Now I want to see a cross between Gilligan's Island and Matango.

58- Curse of the Werewolf 1961

Hammer's touching on the Wolfman franchise, and Oliver Reed's first film.

The film's definitely good, just didn't click with me to the same degree the Frankenstein and Dracula entries did. I liked that they explored the other avenues of contracting lycanthropy and the idea of love keeping the beast at bay.

Another nice touch was Reed's werewolf makeup is a bit reminiscent of Henry Hull's. I've also wondered why Hammer never branched into additional werewolf movies like they did with the Frankenstein and Dracula franchises.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

14- The Faculty

This was actually better than I expected. It’s real 90s, but the effects are decent, the cast is quite good, and the story was straight forward and fun. Maybe I liked it because my expectations were low, but I dug it. Story is pretty straight forward and old school; it’s basically Body Snatchers, alien invasion in a small town and a ragtag band of misfits needs to work together to stop it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

14- The Faculty

This was actually better than I expected. It’s real 90s, but the effects are decent, the cast is quite good, and the story was straight forward and fun. Maybe I liked it because my expectations were low, but I dug it. Story is pretty straight forward and old school; it’s basically Body Snatchers, alien invasion in a small town and a ragtag band of misfits needs to work together to stop it.

I can't think of any gore scenes in movies that ever really bothered me.

The one exception being the pool scene in The Faculty where the lead girl slips or trips and smashes her teeth against the floor tiles.

I don't know why but it makes me shudder every time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Un gatto...assassino?

6. Black Cat
It's only the second Lucio Fulci movie I've seen so I was expecting loving but fake looking zombie gore, instead I got an absolutely charming whodunnit (it was the cat, the cat done the murders, spoiler I guess). What can I say, he's a good boy who murders, it's absolutely sincere, it's full of ridiculous cat staredowns that would make Sergio Leone proud, the cat acts his rear end off, the only way to get him to do stuff in many scenes is to put food somewhere so he's chowing down on something most of the time, wanna pet that cat, this movie rules.

Dishonorable mentions:

Stendhal Syndrome
I don't think I can stomach such a creepy rapey movie these days, stopped 20 minutes in.
The Visitor
I was just dreadfully bored and couldn't get through it. More shame on me than on the movie perhaps.

Previously:

Creepshow II
Monster Squad
Mandy
Shock
Devil Fetus

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Dead Ringers (1988)

This is one of Cronenberg’s most mundane stories. I think it’s also his bleakest, coldest film. In fact, I don’t think anything else in his work has left me feeling as despairing and feeling the darkness in the same way.

There’s nothing supernatural or science fiction at play here, not even ambiguously. The precise character work that is so much the focus of the film, played out gorgeously not only by Irons’ virtuoso double performance as the Mantle twins, it has to be said, but also by Genevieve Bujold as their (sometimes unknowing) lover, grounds the film even further and keeps the stakes very personal, though I hesitate to call them “human.”

So when the body horror that you’ve been expecting finally does show up, when one character quite literally has an image out of his madness forged into the kind of machine and organic shapes that Cronenberg does so well and puts them to brutal use, it really does feel like a nightmare that has punctured through into reality. And something breaks.

When the final scene comes, it is simultaneously the most tender and vulnerable scene in the film and it’s most horrifying and hopeless. Truly masterfully done, and I don’t think I’ll forget it.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

3. Psycho II (1983)

This movie has gorgeous colors. Anthony Perkins is good and his Norman works well as a tragic figure. There are some brutally over-the-top kills here. About two-thirds in, the story starts to get silly, then goes totally nuts for the end, I don't even know how many paragraphs I'd need to discuss all the weirdo twists and changes in tone, such as the mocking take on the original's psycho-analysis scene.
I have one big complaint and it's less about the movie than my own expectations: I was greatly disappointed that the ending didn't feature Mary, her mom and Norman's doctor all dressed up as Mother, knife-fighting for Norman's soul

4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
The first Freddy movie I ever saw. It's uh much less scary now, and while I liked the premise of the movie, it's just seriously underwhelming after the effects-extravaganza of the original.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

59- The Green Slime 1968

This one's pure cheesy goodness along with a catchy theme song. It's a pretty standard sci-fi horror but it's a fun one as far as I'm concerned.

60-It! 1967

This is a usually overlooked gem that's bizzare enough to be worth a watch.

A museum's warehouse burns down and only a statue survives. The museum's curator's killed while examining the statue and he's just the first death with more to follow. I'd say more about the plot but this one's so unusual that you'll just have to watch it to see.

Roddy McDowall really sells it as the murdered curator's assistant especially with where the plot goes with this one.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

11. Another WolfCop

I don't remember much about the first WolfCop except that I was disappointed. No idea why I decided to watch the sequel, but it was a lot better than I expected.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call this a great movie, but it fully embraces the craziness and while it still seems oddly toned down at times the camp is enjoyable.
I mean, a ground up moon rock sniffing werewolf fighting a team of cyborg ice hockey players in a skate rink controlled by Reptilians who are using their craft beer to impregnate Canadians, how often do you see that?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
13. Tales from the Crypt (1972)

I'm really glad I finally saw this. These Amicus anthologies are becoming one of my favorite things in horror, I know I'm late the the party but better late than never I guess. Peter Cushing plays a monster, there's a killer Santa, some solid technicolor gore, and the absolute worst handling of a monkey paw situation I've ever seen (get your poo poo together Enid, they told you not to wish on it!). All the segments are pretty solid but my favorites were the 3rd (Wish You Were Here) and the 4th (Poetic Justice). The wraparound story ends with the Crypt Keeper casting all the main characters from the previous segments into hell, which seems like a pretty raw deal for the guy who didn't do anything wrong and got monkey pawed by his wish-happy wife.

A really fun film. I think I'm going to finish out the remaining Amicus anthologies that I haven't seen for the rest of the challenge (Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Torture Garden and Vault of Horror).

5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I hate to say that I'm falling behind in my posting, gonna try to catch up a bit today....

Quatermass and the Pit(1967)

My last 60's film before moving on into the 70's. Still zero Fran Challenges completed.

Probably the best thing about Quatermass and the Pit is just how drat British it is. British people reacting to ancient aliens never gets old. They try to keep that stiff upper lip but in the end they can't maintain it. There's actually a lot of talent involved here. Roy Ward Baker directed a bunch of other solid horror films like Asylum, Vault of Horror, and the horror thread favorite Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Andrew Keir is fantastic as Quatermass, he's what I think of when I imagine the character. And for Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade fans, there's a relatively early but fun role for Julian Glover.

The premise of the film is probably the biggest hurdle, it's something that is fairly ridiculous on its face but if you can allow yourself to just go with it, the movie is a hell of a fun ride. It's a bit like another horror thread favorite, The Stone Tape in that way. Very effective if you buy into the premise, not so much if you're having a hard time suspending disbelief. But again, that's where the Britishenss of it all comes into play as an advantage; the characters all react to these events with a deadly seriousness that makes it much easier to accept the whole package.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

10. Twice-Told Tales (1963)

Vincent Price stars in this anthology of three shorts based on stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne. In the first, a doctor discovers a liquid that may be the key to eternal youth. In the second segment, a young woman is poisoned by her father in order to save her life, but as a side effect she instantly kills anything she touches. Finally, in a segment based on Hawthorne's novel The House of the Seven Gables, a man returns to his family's cursed ancestral home to search for a hidden inheritance...

I really liked the first story, mostly because Price and co-star Sebastian Cabot have a great rapport and much of the segment is just an extended conversation between them. I also like that Price is wearing makeup to make him appear older, and it is convincing enough that I questioned what year the film was from when I first saw it (Cabot's makeup is... less convincing). The other two stories were alright, I give the middle one credit for originality but without Price it would've been pretty boring - he has such presence that he can elevate basically anything he stars in. The last didn't do much for me though, it came across as sort of generic gothic stuff.

As far as classic horror anthologies go, you could do worse, but this is not an essential watch. The similarly named Tales of Terror from 1962 is definitely the superior Vincent Price anthology. I love the poster though, especially "NO DEMONOPHOBIACS ADMITTED!" Spoiler: there are no demons in this movie.

Movies Seen: The Witching Season | Lifeforce | Terrifier | Unsane | I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House | From Beyond | 13 Ghosts | The Ritual | Child's Play | Twice-Told Tales
Total: 10

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

M_Sinistrari posted:

57- Matango 1963

Each time I sit through this one, I always notice something new.

There's lot of lovely nuances in this one. When the mushrooms are growing in the rain, there's a tittery laughter which you're never quite sure are the mushrooms actually making the sound or is this part of the hallucinogenic properties from them and we're hearing what someone who's eaten the mushrooms are hearing.

I just watched this on Tuesday and I haven't stopped thinking about it. The giggling and other background noises were seriously haunting.

Matango is good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

11. The Thing from Another World (1951, Christian Nyby)

Note, there's disagreement about who actually directed this film, Christian Nyby or Howard Hawkes (who was the producer). It's kind of a Poltergeist thing. But Nyby got the official credit.

But anyway, what struck me most about this is how clearly it inspired Ridley Scott's Alien. It's nearly a prototype for it. In fact Alien feels much more like a remake of this than John Carpenter's The Thing does. Think about it: an isolated team investigates a strange space craft. They bring a creature back with them. The creature emerges as an unstoppable force and begins killing off the crew. Bullets are of no use and they must think of makeshift methods for killing it. Oh, and the scientist of the group wants to preserve the life form in the name of scientific discovery even at the expense of the lives of the people.

But unlike Alien this film has a decidedly lighthearted tone. Even in the midst of the intense crisis with their lives on the line, characters are constantly smirking and making wise cracks. This works both for and against the film. On one hand the levity keeps things "fun" (there's an ongoing joke with a journalist attempting to get a good photo of the creature, with an hilarious punchline). But on the other hand it drains the film of all intensity. It's hard to feel worried about the characters when they don't seem to be taking the threat seriously. Aside from a couple moments of sudden action, nothing here is especially exciting.

I enjoyed this but I didn't love it. When I watch movies whose remakes I've already seen I try REALLY hard to not think about the remake as I'm watching. But here it's incredibly difficult. Carpenter's version improves on it in every single way, and as a result this version feels almost (and I really hate to use this term) obsolete.

(3 crying Thing plants out of 5)

• Locked thread