Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Had a pretty good time in Omoide Yokocho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

totalnewbie posted:

Had a pretty good time in Omoide Yokocho

How long ago was this?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone! The Golden holiday is why I’m doing this in the first place. The factory I’m at in China has no idea if it’ll actually be open or not so I decided to say gently caress it and bail on any potential work commitments I’d have.

It’s good to know about the APA owner. I’d prefer not to reward them if possible. Tokoyo Inn seems booked out but their mobile site makes me want to neck myself so I’ll check again once home.
Does anyone know if the Shinjuku Granbell Hotel owner molests kids or something? They seem comparable in quality and through their own site offer a 5-night discount to ¥62400 which seems reasonable indeed.

Caberham, thanks in particular for that map! I will definitely abuse it. I made a similar thing for breweries when I spent a month driving around Germany, Belgium and France in 2016.

Regarding the ‘trek’, I didn’t mean it in the sense that it’d be labourious, I know Tokyo has a world-class transit system. I more meant whether seeking out a specific brewery bar is worthwhile or if I’ll pick up their beers all over the place in my random wandering.

I’m basically a craft beer and single malt scotch wanker and Japan does both impressively well, so my default travel fall-back is to go and drink either.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Japanese craft beer sucks worse than Osaka too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone! The Golden holiday is why I’m doing this in the first place. The factory I’m at in China has no idea if it’ll actually be open or not so I decided to say gently caress it and bail on any potential work commitments I’d have.

It’s good to know about the APA owner. I’d prefer not to reward them if possible. Tokoyo Inn seems booked out but their mobile site makes me want to neck myself so I’ll check again once home.
Does anyone know if the Shinjuku Granbell Hotel owner molests kids or something? They seem comparable in quality and through their own site offer a 5-night discount to ¥62400 which seems reasonable indeed.

Caberham, thanks in particular for that map! I will definitely abuse it. I made a similar thing for breweries when I spent a month driving around Germany, Belgium and France in 2016.

Regarding the ‘trek’, I didn’t mean it in the sense that it’d be labourious, I know Tokyo has a world-class transit system. I more meant whether seeking out a specific brewery bar is worthwhile or if I’ll pick up their beers all over the place in my random wandering.

I’m basically a craft beer and single malt scotch wanker and Japan does both impressively well, so my default travel fall-back is to go and drink either.

Some dude on reddit put together and regularly updates the most complete list of Tokyo craft beer bars I’ve seen; look for whatever is close to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tokyo/comments/8r8uzt/tokyo_craft_beer_bar_list_v6/

Common goon approved ones are Baird Taproom (local brewery), Goodbeer Faucets (centrally located in Shibuya with a good selection and some surprisingly cheap options during happy hour), Titans (owned by a dude known by many Tokyo goons). But there’s seriously a poo poo load so take a look.

Edit: once you decide where you’re staying you can post a few nearby ones and there’s a fair chance one of us has been and can advise if it’s worth your time. Note some places may not have as many beers on tap from local breweries and may be more oriented toward imports (most often US and Belgian), which I presume you don’t so much want to try, so look out for that.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 25, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I know zoos in SE Asia tend to be nightmarish animal prisons, but how is Ueno?

My wife wants to see pandas but if there's a bunch of sad animals to wander past first she probably won't have a great time of it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Haven’t been for a few years so maybe it’s ever so slight better but last I went panda enclosure was a sad little concrete box so I’d say avoid.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

History Comes Inside! posted:

I know zoos in SE Asia tend to be nightmarish animal prisons, but how is Ueno?

It's a nightmarish animal prison.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

Some dude on reddit put together and regularly updates the most complete list of Tokyo craft beer bars I've seen; look for whatever is close to you

Bloody hell, this is good. Thank you! I might add some of the more interesting ones to my map to help make this all a bit easier.

I'm locked in to a hotel just east of Shinjuku central park. Walking doesn't bother me at all - I generally walk home 6km each day from work.

edit: Just realised that teamLab are the same crew behind the exhibit I saw at the Singapore ArtScience museum back in January this year which was kickin' rad. I'm definitely going to see if I can get in to the Planets one now.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 25, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

My friends stayed here last Christmas (I gave you my heart). Close to Higashi-Shinjuku station and right near Golden Gai? anyway hilarious red light district that was loltastic to walk through at night and early morning. They were plenty satisfied.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'll try and convince her we don't need to see pandas then, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

There's also this map for beer:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1KWLOs5tW_u1VBkJEkFJALZixoQs

For whisky the obvious is Zoetrope. Also have a look at Bar Boots, Tokyo Whisky Library, Harry's N.Y., Nikka Blender's Bar
Basically anywhere that is a "shot bar" should have a lot of whisky options.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also had some friends stay at the Granbell. It's not convenient and by all the love hotels - but otherwise they were more than satisfied.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Unfortunately it sold out during my car ride home so I’m over the other side of the station about 15-20 mins walk away from golden Gai. That doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

How long ago was this?

Last year but I was just out with a friend for dinner /shrug

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

Bloody hell, this is good. Thank you! I might add some of the more interesting ones to my map to help make this all a bit easier.

I'm locked in to a hotel just east of Shinjuku central park. Walking doesn't bother me at all - I generally walk home 6km each day from work.

edit: Just realised that teamLab are the same crew behind the exhibit I saw at the Singapore ArtScience museum back in January this year which was kickin' rad. I'm definitely going to see if I can get in to the Planets one now.

East of Shinjuku central park is near the skyscraper district which is basically a ghost town outside of business hours, but as long as you don't mind the walk it's fairly close to stuff.

That area gives you good access to Shinjuku's Kabukicho via walk which is a good tourist spot to check out. It also has Golden Gai which is really all tourists now and I don't personally like but a lot of people get a kick out of.

For nearby beer places what I would do is:
Go south and east a bit to:
YYG Brewery - near your hotel; haven't gone personally but I've heard it's good and website looks good
Go further south and east to the other side of Yoyogi station to hit:
Watering Hole - been here a few times and they've had a good selection; think they have their own brews up now? Last time I went they were still pending I think
Walk south parallel the tracks to:
Baird Beer Harajuku - one of the best local breweries
Walk south and a little west to:
Craftheads
Walk southwest to
Goodbeer Faucets

Having at least a taster set/flight at each one. By then depending on pace you should be reasonably drunk so you can either keep drinking nice things if you're up to it, or realize that you're not in a position to really enjoyer finer beverages, and are quite tired and full after walking.

If you feel the former there's Mikkeller nearby, as well as OL Tokyo.

If you feel the latter, at this point you should head to Hub and order two or three drinks called Dynamite Kids. Down these and you'll magically find yourself either back in your bed at your hotel, or by the side of the road somewhere. Either way you won't have to walk much further.

Here's a map of this route up to Goodbeer Faucets: https://goo.gl/maps/V9LUeRrB1k22

This takes you to basically all the good craft beer places in the Shinjuku/Shibuya area.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I've been hearing that Fushimi is a great place to try sake in Kyoto. Is it worth going there? I'm by the large station where the Shinkansen is located.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sake Bar JAM near Gion.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TopHatGenius posted:

I've been hearing that Fushimi is a great place to try sake in Kyoto. Is it worth going there? I'm by the large station where the Shinkansen is located.

isn't it just 1 or 2 regular JR train stops away?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

peanut posted:

Sake Bar JAM near Gion.

This place is pretty great. Currently drinking a couple of flights with the missus and each kind has been a hit.

Also it's true that Fushimi was super close. I'm still not used to having soo much be easily accessible via public transit. (Los Angeles transit is a loving joke)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^__________^
Enjoy Japan, friend!!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Somebody added me by qr code 2 days ago but still hasn't messaged me!
Rude goons :nyd:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Big typhoon heading for japan https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180927_24/

Seems like the south will definitely be hit. Keep an eye on it if you have travel plans in the next couple of days.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

School has already been cancelled 2 or 3 times this month. Motherfuckin typhoon Mondays!!!!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I was going to go to Hikone with a friend this weekend. Looks like I'm going to the cocoichi across the street, instead.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Friday Hub Night :moonrio:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

Friday Hub Night :moonrio:

Soon...

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Experiencing part of Osaka with a Go-Kart was a pretty fun experience. I hear the Maricar experience is coming to LA but ehhh that sounds like a disaster.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

TopHatGenius posted:

Experiencing part of Osaka with a Go-Kart was a pretty fun experience. I hear the Maricar experience is coming to LA but ehhh that sounds like a disaster.

Maybe you got in just in time, at least for the costumes:
https://japantoday.com/category/business/Nintendo-wins-court-battle-over-Mario-go-karting

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Didn't one company reach a licensing agreement with Nintendo? If so, that's never going away for good.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My brother and I just booked flights for 2 weeks in Japan toward the end of April, because that's when our schedules happened to line up.

I just learned that we'll be getting there at the start of Golden Week. Is this going to be good? Terrible? We're flying into Tokyo, but haven't set a real itinerary yet.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit]^^^^^^ Tokyo usually empties out for GW, and this next one is extra long because of the imperial changeover. The weather is nice and trains are less crowded, go hog wild.

Aredna posted:

Didn't one company reach a licensing agreement with Nintendo? If so, that's never going away for good.

I’m convinced MariCar itself will stop stocking costumes, but instead a conveniently located costume shops which share ownership and management with MariCar will open up in the building next door, or the office upstairs.

What a coincidence!!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Given that that’s basically how pachinko works I’d say that’s a safe bet.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Wow that court thing is well...unsurprising but I'm still glad to have gotten it done before things got a tad bit complicated.

Also a typhoon is coming! I hope it won't affect my departure from Tokyo on Wednesday.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shinkansen schedules are already affected, lol. The storm should be gone by Wednesday but trains, bridges and stuff might still be messed up.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

peanut posted:

Shinkansen schedules are already affected, lol. The storm should be gone by Wednesday but trains, bridges and stuff might still be messed up.

I've discovered that too lol. Not going to Himeji Castle so I guess I'm stuck here in Osaka unless noted otherwise.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Currently in Kyoto, everything is closed and we're in our Airbnb with a bunch of 9% Suntory Highballs and Family Mart snacks

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

We too will be following standard natural disaster crisis protocols.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile in Indonesia 800 plus people are dead from an earth quake and infrastructure has been paralyzed.

Oh boo hoo there’s only the family mart open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

We too will be following standard natural disaster crisis protocols.