Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oyster posted:

What's everyone's favorite fight?

I rate the Beetle Bros. fight in Zero 2 and the Prometheus and Pandora fight in ZX pretty highly, but my favorite might be against Serpent (also ZX). Final Albert is cool, too.

I'm kind of low on the ZX Omega fight. Your much stronger in that than in Zero 3, and the fight loses a little spice when you're fighting on the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm kind of low on the ZX Omega fight. Your much stronger in that than in Zero 3, and the fight loses a little spice when you're fighting on the same level.

He seems to get a bit of a boost if you're using OX yourself (this may be entirely confirmation bias), but if you want to be on his level fight him in Hard Mode. It's much closer to the Z3 fight, but with his own techniques.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

I thought that Tango was adorable but never found a good way to use her.

Cute but aloof and ultimately useless. Dr light nailed the cat qualities but forgot we're fighting a war here!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I love how Zero form Omega's EX skill is basically raging demon

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Cute but aloof and ultimately useless. Dr light nailed the cat qualities but forgot we're fighting a war here!!

Dr. Light isn't that smart. He builds civilian robots that for some reason have incredibly destructive weaponry, and to fight them, he eventually created a fully sapient android even he acknowledges could bring about the end of the world with his breakthrough in AI research, and then decides to make said sapient android infinitely up-gradable with an ever-increasing arsenal of destructive powers.

Dr. Light is the kind of guy who, upon realizing a child is afraid of the dark, would give the child a flamethrower to use as a night light and then be really surprised when the house burns down.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

The problem with Light is that he didn't foresaw that an idiot would stumble upon X's capsule, said "drat, I could do the same and mass-produce them" and created his own robots with 0 testing, make an organization to counter his robots-gone-wild forgetting that they can get infected, somehow forget that it happened three times already and still helped into making the Repliforce and we know how that ended. Dr. Cain did everything wrong and I'm sad that his only moment as a character was in Maverick Hunter X/Day of Sigma pondering about his mistakes right before dying in an explosion.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'll have you know that Dr. Cain was a leader in his field*, venerated and celebrated for his achievements.

Botany and archaeology.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
He's like the Dr. Venture of Mega Man

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Now I imagine X as Dean Venture and Zero as Hank.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OgretailFood posted:

The problem with Light is that he didn't foresaw that an idiot would stumble upon X's capsule, said "drat, I could do the same and mass-produce them" and created his own robots with 0 testing, make an organization to counter his robots-gone-wild forgetting that they can get infected, somehow forget that it happened three times already and still helped into making the Repliforce and we know how that ended. Dr. Cain did everything wrong and I'm sad that his only moment as a character was in Maverick Hunter X/Day of Sigma pondering about his mistakes right before dying in an explosion.

In Cain's defense, they didn't even know there was a virus until MMX3

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beat Mega Man 8 and it’s probably my least favorite of the classic games so far (I’m playing & Bass next so this may change) but I still think it’s a decent game. I loved the visual style and the upgrades/weapons but too many of the stages felt too gimmicky and most of the music was a bit dull.

EDIT: I wonder why they didn’t port the Saturn version on the Legacy Collection. The Cut Man and Wood Man rematches look cute.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 26, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC8Qz20sPciU-ynMRdKtJw-A?videos

The entirety of the Ruby Spears cartoon is now on youtube to watch for free

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SeANMcBAY posted:

Beat Mega Man 8 and it’s probably my least favorite of the classic games so far (I’m playing & Bass next so this may change) but I still think it’s a decent game. I loved the visual style and the upgrades/weapons but too many of the stages felt too gimmicky and most of the music was a bit dull.

EDIT: I wonder why they didn’t port the Saturn version on the Legacy Collection. The Cut Man and Wood Man rematches look cute.

Same here. No huge differences between the two, but I've always loved Wood Man and I appreciated those extra, little touches. I have a fully-functioning Saturn, but copies of MM8 for it are very rare and cost hundreds of dollars.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Oyster posted:

I don’t have a list but Split Mushroom is definitely up there. I love the hectic fight.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love the MM8 stage select music.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
What's the best way yok play all the megaman and megaman x games on PS4 without spending a ton?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Oyster posted:

I liked Wave Man, Freeze Man, and Clown Man without Tornado Hold; as for the mavericks, Magna Centipede, Blast Hornet and Volt Kraken. Special mention to Vanishing Gungaroo, the second part was hard but the entire thing was quite fun.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

OgretailFood posted:

I liked Wave Man, Freeze Man, and Clown Man without Tornado Hold; as for the mavericks, Magna Centipede, Blast Hornet and Volt Kraken. Special mention to Vanishing Gungaroo, the second part was hard but the entire thing was quite fun.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I don’t have a list but Split Mushroom is definitely up there. I love the hectic fight.

It's nice to have some in here that aren't from ZX, as much as ZX is great. I've learned to hate Vanishing Gungaroo, but I've also been learning the speedrun and starting with that fight while plinking away just sucks.

I've never considered Clown Man without Tornado Hold, that's pretty cool! I think 8, 9, and 10 are the only MM games I haven't done a full buster only run of.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lazerwolf posted:

What's the best way yok play all the megaman and megaman x games on PS4 without spending a ton?

The Legacy Collections were pretty much made for you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I also really like the beetle brothers fight in Zero 2, but my top spot from that game goes to Hyleg Ourobockle. The way his arena is integral part of the fight and how he plays around and with it is absolutely amazing, and it's sad that not more bosses do that. X7 actually tries a little of that with some bosses, but...it's X7...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lazerwolf posted:

You can find both Classic Legacy Collections for pretty cheap on PS4 if you look. X Legacy Collection just came out pretty recently but I’m sure it’ll have discounts soon too.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dr. Light isn't that smart. He builds civilian robots that for some reason have incredibly destructive weaponry, and to fight them, he eventually created a fully sapient android even he acknowledges could bring about the end of the world with his breakthrough in AI research, and then decides to make said sapient android infinitely up-gradable with an ever-increasing arsenal of destructive powers.

Dr. Light is the kind of guy who, upon realizing a child is afraid of the dark, would give the child a flamethrower to use as a night light and then be really surprised when the house burns down.

Like around the time he teamed up with dr wily to build a peace-keeping robot, I feel that is when the authorities should've gotten involved. The mans heart is in the right place but there are some real questions about mental faculties that need addressed.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

OgretailFood posted:

Everything you said is true but dont forget dr light didnt even loving leave some sort of diagram or schematics or anything describing how X works. He knew hed be dead before X was done with diagnostics and he didnt leave a freaking instruction manual. And! The dr light capsules are apparently an AI of his brain, complete with knowledge of X's system and the ability to create upgrades. How about instead of doing that, he helps troubleshoot the Cain reploids? Dude's off in his own world.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Pureauthor posted:

I love the MM8 stage select music.

Mines' the stage select for Mega Man X6.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Like around the time he teamed up with dr wily to build a peace-keeping robot, I feel that is when the authorities should've gotten involved. The mans heart is in the right place but there are some real questions about mental faculties that need addressed.

After putting X in a capsule Roll had Light put in a home. Rock had been kidnapped and made to ride a sentient jackhammer at this time so he couldn't protest, and Auto and Eddy had gotten a common-law marriage and moved away. Bass died of a heroin overdose after his screamo album "gently caress You, Mega Man" topped the charts.

Dr. Wily was last seen opening a chain of boat rental businesses across the world, all manned by his relatives "Gobal warming is a bitch," he was quoted as saying.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Bold Kobold posted:

Mines' the stage select for Mega Man X6.

Say whatever you like about X6, but the opening stage music is loving amazing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Everything you said is true but dont forget dr light didnt even loving leave some sort of diagram or schematics or anything describing how X works. He knew hed be dead before X was done with diagnostics and he didnt leave a freaking instruction manual. And! The dr light capsules are apparently an AI of his brain, complete with knowledge of X's system and the ability to create upgrades. How about instead of doing that, he helps troubleshoot the Cain reploids? Dude's off in his own world.

He did leave schematics, but unfortunately Hayatom, Inc. went out of business over the next hundred years, and Cain decided to save money by replacing the voiceboxes with parts from defective action figures.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Say whatever you like about X6, but the opening stage music is loving amazing.

All of the music in X6 is amazing.
It's the sole good thing about the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

Likewise for X7.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

Likewise for X7.

I couldn't stop laughing at the Scooby Doo sound effects for those radar towers.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

TerminusEst13 posted:

Composer: *shreds the entire gently caress out of a guitar*
X: *sighs as he waits for a slow-moving donut*

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Got 11 real early from a mom and pop store, gonna post impressions later

Although if the entire game is as tough as the demo it might take me a while to get very far...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oooh, which console?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apart from a couple of irritating gimmicks like Astro Man's maze stage, I find MM8 really cozy. It's not a game I'd put near the top of my list of favourites, but the pastel colours and tracks like Frost Man's stage are really comfy and inviting.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Got 11 real early from a mom and pop store, gonna post impressions later

Although if the entire game is as tough as the demo it might take me a while to get very far...

Would love to know if you come across any indication of extra playable characters beyond Mega Man

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished 4 hours with the Switch version and took down Block, Fuse, Blast, and Impact:

General impressions:
The difficulty is definitely going to be controversial among fans, calling it now. It's not romhack cheap, but it'shard. Stages are very long, enemies hit hard and rarely drop anything (until you buy a certain part), and getting hit knocks you back a ton and immobilizes you for a very long time. Bolts are handed out like candy, and given the high capacity for items as well as the option to go to the lab straight from the continue screen, it seems like Capcom really intends for players to buy and use items a LOT. The game isn't impossible without them, or the gears, but hoo boy is it tough. It's hard in a very different way from previous Mega Man games, and some players are not going to like that.

If you've played the demo, Block Man's stage is average length by this game's standards, and is actually pretty forgiving. Block man himself is pretty hard in comparison to other bosses, though.

Stage/boss/weapon specific:

Impact Man is far and away the easiest boss/stage combo. His pattern is simple and his gear attack is easily avoided. Fuse man is also simple, but way faster. Blast man basically has one attack (with two variations) but requires really careful positioning or really good use of the speed gear. Block Man is easily the hardest of the four, mostly because his gear attack is so involved. I seem to have avoided beating them in any kind or weakness order, so I have no idea who's weak against what, sorry!

I haven't reached the remaining four bosses. Acid man and Tundra Man's stages involve lots of spikes and ice/water movement (Acid man's stage has one particular hilarious dick move involving spikes), Bounce mans's stage is insanely long, and Torch man's stage has a wall of death hazard that is going to make a lot of players tilt.

Of the weapons I have, block man's is by far the best- it's a very strong attack that hits a ton of the screen, and the power gear version is even better. Fuse mans's has some uses, Impact man's is bad as a weapon but cool as a mobility tool, and Blast man's bombs are...kinda lovely, since they're slow and don't do much unless you launch two at the same area.

Other non-gameplay stuff:
No sign of any other characters, playable or otherwise. There's been some suspicious empty rooms that I though might eventually become a Bass fight or something, but I've beaten four bosses and nothing's changed, so...

Young Dr. Light and Dr. Wily are fun to see- I'm hoping we get more Robot University stuff as the game goes on- I've gotten one additional scene with them at 4 bosses complete.

The voice acting is fine. Just fine. The shop diologue gets old quick, but it's still better than Dr. Elmer Fudd.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 29, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Just finished 4 hours with the Switch version

Are the checkpoints as ludicrously far apart as they were in the demo? The difficulty didn't bother me as much as starting 10 minutes back from where I died did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just finished 4 hours with the Switch version and took down Block, Fuse, Blast, and Impact:

General impressions:
The difficulty is definitely going to be controversial among fans, calling it now. It's not romhack cheap, but it'shard. Stages are very long, enemies hit hard and rarely drop anything (until you buy a certain part), and getting hit knocks you back a ton and immobilizes you for a very long time. Bolts are handed out like candy, and given the high capacity for items as well as the option to go to the lab straight from the continue screen, it seems like Capcom really intends for players to buy and use items a LOT. The game isn't impossible without them, or the gears, but hoo boy is it tough. It's hard in a very different way from previous Mega Man games, and some players are not going to like that.

If you've played the demo, Block Man's stage is average length by this game's standards, and is actually pretty forgiving. Block man himself is pretty hard in comparison to other bosses, though.

Stage/boss/weapon specific:

Impact Man is far and away the easiest boss/stage combo. His pattern is simple and his gear attack is easily avoided. Fuse man is also simple, but way faster. Blast man basically has one attack (with two variations) but requires really careful positioning or really good use of the speed gear. Block Man is easily the hardest of the four, mostly because his gear attack is so involved. I seem to have avoided beating them in any kind or weakness order, so I have no idea who's weak against what, sorry!

I haven't reached the remaining four bosses. Acid man and Tundra Man's stages involve lots of spikes and ice/water movement (Acid man's stage has one particular hilarious dick move involving spikes), Bounce mans's stage is insanely long, and Torch man's stage has a wall of death hazard that is going to make a lot of players tilt.

Of the weapons I have, block man's is by far the best- it's a very strong attack that hits a ton of the screen, and the power gear version is even better. Fuse mans's has some uses, Impact man's is bad as a weapon but cool as a mobility tool, and Blast man's bombs are...kinda lovely, since they're slow and don't do much unless you launch two at the same area.

Other non-gameplay stuff:
No sign of any other characters, playable or otherwise. There's been some suspicious empty rooms that I though might eventually become a Bass fight or something, but I've beaten four bosses and nothing's changed, so...

Young Dr. Light and Dr. Wily are fun to see- I'm hoping we get more Robot University stuff as the game goes on- I've gotten one additional scene with them at 4 bosses complete.

The voice acting is fine. Just fine. The shop diologue gets old quick, but it's still better than Dr. Elmer Fudd.

I actually think Torch Man is by far the easiest stage. It also has a few incredibly exploitable areas for farming. I also think the difficulty is going to be colored by how willing you are to use items. If you don't hold back on using items you're basically going to have to try to fail stages.

Also Blast Man's weapon should only be used in Power Gear where it basically oneshots anything and everything in a huge radius.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait how are people playing this already, I thought it wasn't due out until the 2nd (unless for some reason the retail version came out ahead of the digital version)?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Larryb posted:

Wait how are people playing this already, I thought it wasn't due out until the 2nd (unless for some reason the retail version came out ahead of the digital version)?

PIH managed to break street date, and ImpAtom reviews games, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Finished the rest of the robot masters - ImpAtom is right about being able to brute force stages just by buying a ton of items. Once you get the part that increases bolt drops, you'll get them faster than you can spend them.

One very nice quality of life change is that the fortress gets it's own stage select screen and (I think) saves your progress.