Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s because Marvel adapts lovely comic stories for some reason. People like the Phoenix saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only 'lovely' one they 'adapted' was Age of Ultron and that like every one of their other 'adaptations' outside of Winter Soldier might as well have different titles entirely because they don't resemble the books they are 'adapted' from at all. I mean what even are the other other ones taken mostly straight from books? Civil War and Infinity War? Most people actually like those. I know Civil War gets some poo poo these days and especially around these parts, but a lot of people actually really do love it. And Infinity War (actually based on Infinity Gauntlet) is still today regarded as one of the better event books they've ever done. Age of Ultron is really the only one with a name that comes from a universally disliked book.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So dark Phoenix still set in the 80s or are we moving up to the 90s now with our never aging xavier/magneto?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

What makes people think Jessica Chastain is Lilandra? I understand it's the Dark Phoenix story, but what specifically ties her to Lilandra?

Jean feels betrayed that Xavier locked away her painful memories which leads her to Jessica Chastain, an evil Sith Lord who tries to corrupt her to the Dark Side. Instead of Jason Wyngrade as Mastermind its actually Cassandra Nova. It would also tie it with the storyline that started X-Men Red.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A-list celeb and a big name character is my genius deduction.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now I mentioned "What if there had been an Iron Man movie in the 70s?" but if there had been an X-Men movie in the 70s, your Hellfire Club is ready made. You can just get Robert Shaw, Donald Sutherland, Orson Welles, Peter Wyngarde and whoever Emma Frost was based on (was she based on Diana Rigg, or just Emma Peel?). :D

(Edit: I don't remember the exact dates for them, so Shaw might have died before Sebastian Shaw was introduced in the comics - all the rest would've been available, though.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Avengers TV show literally has a Hellfire Club episode that was straight ripped off to make the comics one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

I mean what even are the other other ones taken mostly straight from books?

Iron Man 3 adapted a lot from Extremis, but they definitely changed it up a lot in the process.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I recall it borrowing from Matt Fraction's run too.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lol, Dark Phoenix just got pushed back AGAIN from February to June 2019

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/1045757870069899264?s=21

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dacap posted:

Lol, Dark Phoenix just got pushed back AGAIN from February to June 2019

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/1045757870069899264?s=21

What the gently caress

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hellboy also got pushed back to April. :(

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Disney-Fox deal is expected to be finalized in the first half of 2019.

Does Disney even release Dark Phoenix or New Mutants at that point?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AngryBooch posted:

They will be perennially delayed again and again. Our grandchildren will look forward to watching New Mutants from the bunkers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whos loving brainwave was it to drop that trailer two days before a delay

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

It's "free" money at that point since Fox paid for it all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JordanKai posted:

Hellboy also got pushed back to April. :(

This is good though? It means the studio has more faith in it and releasing it at a time that isn’t for complete trash.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

AngryBooch posted:

Yes. It's been reported that Disney still intends to release all Fox films that are in production or post-production when the deal is finalized.

Now, Gambit is most likely not happening, but if they somehow manage to find a fourth director, there's still a chance.

also, wtf at Dark Phoenix being delayed another four months less than two days after the trailer dropped. I'm surprised New Mutants wasn't delayed again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's being retooled for a new ending where Doom and the Molecule Man appear, judge it a failed universe, and destroy it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
lmfao

:smithfrog:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CelticPredator posted:

This is good though? It means the studio has more faith in it and releasing it at a time that isn’t for complete trash.

Fair enough! I'm just sad that I'm going to have to wait longer to see it now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

I'm willing to bet there wasn't a delay planned before social media's lukewarm reception to the trailer.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

site posted:

That’s probably why it was...

efb

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

They’re gonna reshoot the ending for both movies to have them dissolve from The Snap. Avengers 4 fixes everything and they recast to join the MCU.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dark Phoenix now releases a month after Avengers 4. Scarlet Witch is resurrected but enters a mysterious coma-like state in the post-credits.

Then in Dark Phoenix there's an after credits scene where Evan Peter's version of Quicksilver's younger sister is all grown up and is revealed to be... Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch. The entire X-men line of movies is then integrated into the MCU as House of M.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

It's being retooled for a new ending where Doom and the Molecule Man appear, judge it a failed universe, and destroy it.

:getin:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fyi, THR is reporting that the Disney-Fox deal is now expected to close by the end of the year; most previous reporting had indicated that this wasn't likely before spring or summer of next year.

This is buried towards the end of an article on the Fox delays, so grain of salt, but they did clear the main regulatory obstacle (DOJ approval) much earlier than expected, so it's not impossible.

but DP and NM will still be released one way or another

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Moving from February to June means they think this could actually make some noise in the summer probably. I'm not sure why they think that, maybe the overall reaction to the trailer was better than expected?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

Moving from February to June means they think this could actually make some noise in the summer probably. I'm not sure why they think that, maybe the overall reaction to the trailer was better than expected?

Fox previously had no real blockbusters scheduled for next summer, so I can sorta see why they moved it. TBH, they should have delayed it to summer the first time, since it was already obvious then that Gambit wouldn't make its release date.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool 2 is re-releasing in theaters this Christmas with a PG-13 cut where it has a Princess Bride framing device.

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1045750002994302978

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

Deadpool 2 is re-releasing in theaters this Christmas with a PG-13 cut where it has a Princess Bride framing device.

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1045750002994302978

Deadpool is odd for me; the movies weren't particularly my cup of tea, but I totally mark out for all of the marketing of them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that... Old Fred Savage?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Scaramouche posted:

Is that... Old Fred Savage?

Yes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

X-O posted:

Alita replaced Dark Phoenix in February. That movie was trying to go against Aquaman and Bumblebee, which is not a good thing for something with a big budget but based on a property few in the West cares about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The MSJ posted:

Alita replaced Dark Phoenix in February. That movie was trying to go against Aquaman and Bumblebee, which is not a good thing for something with a big budget but based on a property few in the West cares about.

Wow, those four movies sound like a really lovely holiday slate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the gently caress is Fred Savage doing here?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

What the gently caress is Fred Savage doing here?

Have you seen Princess Bride?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plastik posted:

Have you seen Princess Bride?

Yes but you clearly haven't seen the Danny Devito Sex Tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Interesting marketing angle

• Locked thread