Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

It's kind of weird that you admit nobody would ever give a gently caress about who you are and what you do, but then you do the opsec poo poo anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You never know when some rear end in a top hat runs into you and now you are talking to Gene Hackman. Pretty decent movie actually. "Why did you blow up the building?!", "Because you made a phone call!!".

He is right to maintain privacy in some respects as computer security isn't the best it can be or a complete joke at times. If I could look into people's past transactions at the minimum I could blackmail them for infidelity if applicable or sell high value targets to house robbers. Identity theft is hard to sort out even in a Western country. Imagine if you're in China and someone does that, you're totally hosed.

If you use Wechat, consider the device insecure in every way. My last work asked me to install it and I told them hell no.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

jizzy sillage posted:

It's kind of weird that you admit nobody would ever give a gently caress about who you are and what you do, but then you do the opsec poo poo anyway.

nah, i said i don't think i will ever have a nation-state level actor on my rear end. opportunistic criminals or weirdos with a grudge, sure.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

I don't really carry cash anymore either, I just use a tap card instead of a mobile app but all the hype seems to be specifically about using a mobile app

I would guess that a good 90% at least of all the major sources hyping it own Tencent stock though

I have been going 90% cashless in Hong Kong since the 90s and it’s still bad. Octopus And credit cards are getting old. It’s not cashless.

The RFID charged transit can be automatically recharged once below balance. It works for your everyday purchases in fast food, convenient stores, all public transit EXCEPT taxis. It’s very much lifted from Japan’s SUICA. And for large purchases or one time purchases in restaurants there’s also debit/credit.

At the end of the day you still need to carry some cash on hand. Newstand vendors, street food, paying back your friends (haha logging into internet banking to transfer 20 bucks)

And if I ever need to use occasional but reoccurring purchases on my mobile then I need a whole bunch of apps. Which is ok I guess.

Whereas in China you just have an giant single portal for lots of mini apps and it sorts out all the back end authentication for your different accounts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the record, if you live in America and own a smart phone paying with cash does not a goddamn thing to hide you

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I enjoyed big wads of chinese mao money.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

LOL Chinese cashless system turning into Orwellian hell. That's rule by law for you. Soon it will be you didn't buy enough Chinese poo poo -80 points.

This is just a crock of poo poo. The vendor would just be throwin in jail or delisted in the first place instead allowing them to keep on making money.

The Orwellian hell is the usual surveillance everywhere and public security goons tapping your phone and reading your communications.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Quick Chinese question: I manage a hotel, and we have Chinese-speaking room-cleaning staff. Communication is... interesting! Anyhoo, the previous manager gave me some words/phrases to use for better communication, one of which was "vacuuming", which he (and the cleaning staff) pronounced as something like "cap-chan". I've been trying to find the actual word used, but google translate is useless, and i'm wondering if it actually means that...? Anyone know?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
It's probably the Cantonese way of saying vacuuming.

In writing the word is 吸尘/吸塵. In Cantonese it sounds like "cup chun" where "cup" sounds like the word in English or rhymes with up and the "-un" sounds like undying or understand. If you want it in jyutping, it would be kap1 can4.

edit: I just found this Cantonese text to speech site. Type kap1 can4 and hit play to hear how it sounds.

edit 2: welp, thought the first word sounded more like "gup" than "cup". I will surely be disowned by my relatives now.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 28, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CIGNX posted:

In writing the word is 吸尘/吸塵. In Cantonese it sounds like "cup chun" where "cup" sounds like the word in English or rhymes with up and the "-un" sounds like undying or understand. If you want it in jyutping, it would be kap1 can4.

edit: I just found this Cantonese text to speech site. Type kap1 can4 and hit play to hear how it sounds.

edit 2: welp, thought the first word sounded more like "gup" than "cup". I will surely be disowned by my relatives now.

Its alright, no two people speak cantonese the same.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hakimashou posted:

no two people speak cantonese

Not if the CCP has anything to say about it that is

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Cantonese is a vastly superior language to mandarin.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hakimashou posted:

*sta儿es ang儿ily in putonghua*

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CIGNX posted:

You were originally correct , even listening to the web link it’s gup.

Cantonese spoken in Hong Kong is a bit different from mainland but the differences are minor

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*leans on pitchfork and whistles.* Yeah, nuthin' but pages and pages of cashless talk. Far as the eye can see.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Alipay is good

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
To me it's more that the company handling the transactions will sell my spending habits to some marketing firm so that they can better extract my capital to the upper echelons of society. I mean, avoiding cashless won't stop that from happening anyway (Facebook etc), but at least I get to pretend I have some privacy and autonomy in society.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

If you use Wechat, consider the device insecure in every way. My last work asked me to install it and I told them hell no.

I don't know if it's still the like this, but at one time there were a bunch of youtube videos showing the "interesting" network activity that happens on your phone before and after wechat was installed. In one instance they showed wechat being forcefully shut down, and it was still sending data. In another instance they showed a phone's network activity before wechat was installed, after it was installed, and after it was uninstalled. Basically, the people doing the tests said that a factory reset was required to actually remove the wechat junk that was sending data.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I like I can just check the alipay app to see how much I've been spending cuz I'm way too lazy to keep track otherwise.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

hakimashou posted:

the latter is much more pleasing to listen to though

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Cry Havoc posted:

:wrong:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Hey guys, how the heck do you get money out of China? Paypal isn't co-operating because my bank account was created by my company, going to the bank is a multi-hour miming party, and I'm honestly just considering mailing a family member my Chinese bank card and asking them to hit up an ATM.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

coolusername posted:

I'm honestly just considering mailing a family member my Chinese bank card and asking them to hit up an ATM.

This was the simplest way I could find after banging my head against it for a frustrating eternity. Second account and send the card home. Works fine.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Grand Fromage posted:

This was the simplest way I could find after banging my head against it for a frustrating eternity. Second account and send the card home. Works fine.

This is what I did and I never ran into any problems.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Cry Havoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHznB-_Gbs

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

coolusername posted:

Hey guys, how the heck do you get money out of China? Paypal isn't co-operating because my bank account was created by my company, going to the bank is a multi-hour miming party, and I'm honestly just considering mailing a family member my Chinese bank card and asking them to hit up an ATM.

My wife and I did it all through her online banking. She exchanged the money from RMB into local currency, then transferred the money into an account abroad. This was under $50k, and more than two years ago so your mileage might vary. However I remember that using my Chinese account for this wasn't possible so I had to use an account associated with a Chinese citizen. Abroad, I declared the money to the customs office just to avoid any potential future problems.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Buying a house with union pay also works! Look at Vancouver!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seriously though,

1. The atm card trick is fine, but get a CCB card and withdraw from Bank of America, you don’t get hit by forex as hard and no fees involved.

2. In the bigger cities there are some official money changers but you might need a person with Chinese ID, or bring your passport.

3. Wire the money through a bank, or western union / postal savings bank

Comedy options

A. I can do it, I always need more RMBs. Give me the money in Alipay/Wechat and I will wire the money from Hong Kong. HKD is pretty much a fixed rate with USD.

B. Take your RMBs to some restaurant in a Chinatown and have them change for you

C. Buy a house

D. Go to a university quarter with lots of mainland students. Offer to change money

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Getting money out of china is a billion dollar industry involving all sorts of shady deals

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

coolusername posted:

That's what I did. It's the easiest way to move money out of China period.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

caberham posted:

Getting money out of china is a billion dollar industry involving all sorts of shady deals

my favorite is suing yourself via offshore shell company

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Tears in my eyes here

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Holy poo poo, piss!

Wow there's a holy poo poo piss playlist on youtube

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 28, 2018

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Thank yous for the lingo insight!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kharnifex posted:

Holy poo poo, piss!

Wow there's a holy poo poo piss playlist on youtube

Wow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LYvAKEDuuo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also if you are just trying to get dollars more than actually sending it home, and happen to be in a city with a US consulate, the consulate workers are paid in USD and are usually happy to swap with you.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

cantonese is harsher sounding like vietnamese

or a record played backwards

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Cantonese sounds like a clown car. Beijing accent sounds like the engine to that clown car and it is the best. Anyone who doesn't embrace the 儿 can suck it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Unfortunately, I'm actually an Aussie, so I'll just do the ATM shenanigans. I've got to pay off some bills back home and there's no easy way to actually get my RMB into my home bank account. Good suggestions though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So a chinese relative story.

My Cousin in Law bought a new SUV with his mom's help to impress his future wife. It is way more than he can afford but he is a little emperor and his mom wants grandkids.

This 80 year old at his workplace got mad at seeing it, and keyed it to the tune of several thousand USD in damages. (Can't just take it to a local shop as it's a foreign luxury car).

The guy admitted to doing it and said he'd give them a few hundred RMB. They went to the police station to complain (it was on camera) but because the guy was old and had more guanxi they said they wouldn't do anything to him. Apparently police in china are notoriously averse to getting involved in any crime committed by the elderly as they don't want to be blamed if the person gets hurt or dies in custody.

It's all extra strange because my Father in law is a Party official (not just a member) in that same city, and has tried to throw his weight around, but doesn't have enough Guanxi apparently to make the police give a poo poo.

So basically they're poo poo out of luck. I half expect the old dude to just key it again after they fix it.