Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Scaramouche posted:

I think I've brought this up before but I've consistently found in ESL speakers that they know what "dog eat dog world" is, but they think it's "doggy dog world" (e.g. a world fit for dogs)

Well it is a crazy, mixed up world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Scaramouche posted:

I think I've brought this up before but I've consistently found in ESL speakers that they know what "dog eat dog world" is, but they think it's "doggy dog world" (e.g. a world fit for dogs)

They made this exact joke in Modern Family too, like somewhere in the first season IIRC. Interesting that it has some basis in reality.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scaramouche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGdhvtklc8

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Knew what it was gonna be, but disappointed it wasn't the music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6N5GBoevI

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Knew what it was gonna be, but disappointed it wasn't the music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6N5GBoevI

God drat it, I forgot there was a video. :negative:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Scaramouche posted:

I find this in EFL speakers as well.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/FWhsuqFj8kU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dross posted:

I find this in EFL speakers as well.

Yeah, basically any commonly heard phrase that people odnt see written down is going to have this happen.

See also:
for all intensive purposes
beckon call
taken for granite
tongue and cheek

And way too many songs lyrics to list out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, basically any commonly heard phrase that people odnt see written down is going to have this happen.

See also:
for all intensive purposes
beckon call
taken for granite
tongue and cheek

And way too many songs lyrics to list out.

My peeve is "should of" in the place of "should've"/"should have"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You get the reverse in bookish kids encountering words like "subtle" or "draught" that they've never heard spoken.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You get the reverse in bookish kids encountering words like "subtle" or "draught" that they've never heard spoken.

"Macabre" is one of those. I only knew how to say it because Calvin and Hobbes rhymed it with "job" one time. There's a joke in the first Simpsons Halloween special where Bart says it "Mac-a-bree" that went completely over my head.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This was the word "Facade" for me.

I knew the front of the building was a fasaad, that must have been some sort of middle eastern origin or something. I had just never seen it in print. A Fake Aid was a false front that someone put on when dealing with people. It wasn't until I was called on it one time that I realized they were the same word.
If I were reading something unprepared that had that word, I'd say there's about a 50% chance I'd say Fake aid instead of the proper pronunciation.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Sep 28, 2018

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

A previous girlfriend had to be the one to tell me that the grain is not pronounced kwi-no-uh

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I read in English all the time, but rarely speak it, so this happens to me sometimes.

'Macabre' I've heard often enough to know you're not supposed to pronounce the -re (unlike in French which I also speak to some extent), but that definitely wouldn't have been my first instinct.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

"Macabre" is one of those. I only knew how to say it because Calvin and Hobbes rhymed it with "job" one time. There's a joke in the first Simpsons Halloween special where Bart says it "Mac-a-bree" that went completely over my head.

Hopefully kids of today will read the Graveyard Book and learn to sing the dance A mack a bray

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dross posted:

A previous girlfriend had to be the one to tell me that the grain is not pronounced kwi-no-uh

Exactly the same thing happened to me

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I recently realised how whales work: They eat by filling their mouths with water which they then push out again with their tongue through the filters in their mouth leaving the edible stuff inside., hence the term filter feeder.

I'd never really considered this before so I have no idea how I thought it worked, but I've always imagined they fed by some process where they just swam around with the mouth open, automatically filtering the oceans like some form of giant sieve. I have no idea how I thought they solved the issue of having the absurd quantities of water flowing through them. :psyduck:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't the "floating around with open mouths" thing how basking sharks feed?

Phlegmish posted:

I read in English all the time, but rarely speak it, so this happens to me sometimes.

'Macabre' I've heard often enough to know you're not supposed to pronounce the -re (unlike in French which I also speak to some extent), but that definitely wouldn't have been my first instinct.

I can't think of any examples atm but english has an annoying amount of french loanwoards that aren't pronounced the french way but also aren't pronounced in any intuitive english way.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Sep 28, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't the "floating around with open mouths" thing how basking sharks feed?

Yes. Also this revelation only applies to baleen whales

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I still read it in my head as "drott" despite having known better for twenty years. I just like it better that way.

I mean, of course, I'd pronounce it correctly if I ever had a call to.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pastry of the Year posted:

I still read it in my head as "drott" despite having known better for twenty years. I just like it better that way.

I mean, of course, I'd pronounce it correctly if I ever had a call to.

It'll probably be 'angsitty' in my head forever.

anxiety

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I was way into my twenties before I realized that "nevermind" (the record) and "never mind" (the expression) have subtle differences :downs:

I think I still write out "nevermind" in chats & such

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My brother used to pronounce Yukon as Yuck-On when he was a kid.

I, in turn, used to call Count Basie, Count Bass for some ungodly reason.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Proteus Jones posted:

My peeve is "should of" in the place of "should've"/"should have"

The one that gets me is "I could care less". If you just take a second to think about the phrase you can see it means the opposite of what you want it to mean!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

When I was like four, I was reading with my mom [The Adventures of Egbert the Easter Egg if anyone cares], and I came across the word “vague”, and she kept correcting my pronunciation, but since she didn’t explain that the “-ue” was silent, I kept screwing it up, getting increasingly frustrated. She never did explain it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hardcordion posted:

The one that gets me is "I could care less". If you just take a second to think about the phrase you can see it means the opposite of what you want it to mean!

It makes sense either way. "I couldn't care less" = this is a thing that I care the least amount about. "I could care less" = this is a thing that I care an uncertain amount about but the sarcastic implication is that not by much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"I could probably care less if I really tried" implies that you don't even care enough to try to care less. It's the rarely observed paradox burn.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jerry Cotton posted:

It makes sense either way. "I couldn't care less" = this is a thing that I care the least amount about. "I could care less" = this is a thing that I care an uncertain amount about but the sarcastic implication is that not by much.

I think you're putting way more thought into the commonly misused expression then the people who routinely misuse it. "Could care less" is plainly wrong and people using it (generally) are just mangling the correct version. It makes literally no sense in context to use it. It is only ever used in the first sense you listed.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I seem to recall that “misled” is one that trips a lot of people up. I’m sure it must’ve gotten me in my youth.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

I think you're putting way more thought into the commonly misused expression then the people who routinely misuse it. "Could care less" is plainly wrong and people using it (generally) are just mangling the correct version. It makes literally no sense in context to use it. It is only ever used in the first sense you listed.

do you also get like this about the phrase "head over heels"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I still think "sleight" (as in "sleight of hand") should rhyme with "weight", not "height".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Every loving time "could/couldn't care less" comes up, a bunch of pedantic goons argue about which is correct and why.

Nobody is confused about what is meant by "could care less". Everyone knows what it means and nobody is going "well that means they care at least a little bit" because people don't break down idiomatic expressions and interpret them one word at a time. That's not how colloquial language works. The expression is understood as a whole, which is why when someone says a figure of speech wrong (like "for all intensive purposes") you still know what they mean.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This conversation is literally killing me

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Red Metal posted:

do you also get like this about the phrase "head over heels"

If it were still a hundred years ago when people used the more logical version still I would care, but that ship has sailed.

Considering the correct version of the other phrase is still extremely commonly used around the world, I'll keep laughing at anyone who outs themselves as dumb enough to try to over-explain an obvious mistake as being anything but.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

How about "one after the next" or "each one [adjective]-er than the next"?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

How about "one after the next" or "each one [adjective]-er than the next"?

Don't recall hearing that one, although it does have a pleasing insanity to it.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I used to pronounce miniseries as miniz-eries. I got caught out when I told someone I thought that "The Pacific are better miniz-eries than Band of Brothers".

I was well, well, well into my late twenties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This conversation is literally killing me

I don't mind that use because it's just hyperbole for emphasis.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

duckmaster posted:

I used to pronounce miniseries as miniz-eries. I got caught out when I told someone I thought that "The Pacific are better miniz-eries than Band of Brothers".

I was well, well, well into my late twenties.
I thought a biopic (which I still think is a dumb word for a biographical film) was pronounced like "myopic". I also momentarily thought the word was Afrikaans. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

I thought a biopic (which I still think is a dumb word for a biographical film) was pronounced like "myopic". I also momentarily thought the word was Afrikaans. :iiam:

Just learned I mispronounce “biopic”