Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

I thought a biopic (which I still think is a dumb word for a biographical film) was pronounced like "myopic". I also momentarily thought the word was Afrikaans. :iiam:

The Afrikaans detail is what makes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

It makes sense either way. "I couldn't care less" = this is a thing that I care the least amount about. "I could care less" = this is a thing that I care an uncertain amount about but the sarcastic implication is that not by much.

"I could care less" only works if you put all the emphasis on COULD, like Chandler Bing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hirayuki posted:

I thought a biopic (which I still think is a dumb word for a biographical film) was pronounced like "myopic". I also momentarily thought the word was Afrikaans. :iiam:

According to this random and unverified youtube video the 'wrong' pronunciation is the Australian way of saying it :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I93KIrfDwA8

Please also note that the word 'Youtube" is pronounce "Yoot-obey"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IxtXtdygrk

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

I think you're putting way more thought into the commonly misused expression then the people who routinely misuse it. "Could care less" is plainly wrong and people using it (generally) are just mangling the correct version. It makes literally no sense in context to use it. It is only ever used in the first sense you listed.

I could care less I suppose.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

burial posted:

I seem to recall that “misled” is one that trips a lot of people up. I’m sure it must’ve gotten me in my youth.

It always seemed like something Ebenezer Scrooge would do to you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

iajanus posted:

If it were still a hundred years ago when people used the more logical version still I would care, but that ship has sailed.

Considering the correct version of the other phrase is still extremely commonly used around the world, I'll keep laughing at anyone who outs themselves as dumb enough to try to over-explain an obvious mistake as being anything but.

Hope u get this upset over flammable too, since the correct inflammable is still in use.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

syscall girl posted:

It always seemed like something Ebenezer Scrooge would do to you.

Misled in the Butt by a Miser.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tunicate posted:

Hope u get this upset over flammable too, since the correct inflammable is still in use.

But both of those are correct, and are just seperately derived words from Latin? Neither is logically wrong, either.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/flammable-or-inflammable

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

iajanus posted:

But both of those are correct, and are just seperately derived words from Latin? Neither is logically wrong, either.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedant

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

iajanus posted:

In modern usage it's a back-formation from flammable (see Fowler's dictionary of modern English usage)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just learned I mispronounce “biopic”

I swear I've heard people who aught to know pronounce it as "biopic" so that's how I've always pronounced it. Saying "bio pic" sounds dumb.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Aleph Null posted:

I swear I've heard people who aught to know pronounce it as "biopic" so that's how I've always pronounced it. Saying "bio pic" sounds dumb.

It should just be a hyphenate. Bio-pic from “biographical picture.”

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tunicate posted:

In modern usage it's a back-formation from flammable (see Fowler's dictionary of modern English usage)

Wait, flammable is a back formation from flammable? From Fowler's it was derived as per MW and then revived as an attempt to reduce ambiguity. Not strictly a back-formation, unless I'm missing something. (https://books.google.com.au/books?i...ntarily&f=false)

My personal bugbear is the usage of momentarily that's common in America but less elsewhere (in a moment, as opposed to for a moment), although it does lead to entertainment from applying the other meaning.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I did not know that the one sense of momentarily was regional I just figured it was always clear from context

Also: context comes from cons texting each other, which is a situation that can be very dangerous if words are taken the wrong way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Krankenstyle posted:

I did not know that the one sense of momentarily was regional I just figured it was always clear from context

Also: context comes from cons texting each other, which is a situation that can be very dangerous if words are taken the wrong way

This is why you only get one phone call in jail.

Also: the dorky tween from the sitcom Unfabulous was Emma Roberts. Huh.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Dave Gorman has a great bit about biopic vs. bio-pic, but it's not on youtube because it features a lot of clips from the movie about the lady who invented the mop with Jennifer Lawrence. Joy. It's somewhere in his Modern Life is Goodish series but I don't know where because again, the clips from Joy. That's my input, you're welcome

e: episode 6, series 5. Drippy Strummer.

if you're in the UK or have a VPN you can watch it here, recommend it, he's very funny

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Sep 29, 2018

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Not gonna contribute to the pronunciation thing because 'misled' has already come up, but I saw somebody use "in the breadline" earlier and double-checked before I smugly corrected them. And it turns out everybody is kind of right, if you trust online dictionaries - in the UK "breadline/bread line" is a non-specific threshold of poverty, so you can be on/above/below it, but in the US it refers to the group of people themselves who are so poor they need to queue up for free food, so you can be in it. Same effective meaning both ways, just thought that was interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dross posted:

A previous girlfriend had to be the one to tell me that the grain is not pronounced kwi-no-uh

I started a huge fight with an ex by pointing out it's "wolves" not "woofs" because she had the crazy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eating only apples posted:

Dave Gorman has a great bit about biopic vs. bio-pic, but it's not on youtube because it features a lot of clips from the movie about the lady who invented the mop with Jennifer Lawrence. Joy. It's somewhere in his Modern Life is Goodish series but I don't know where because again, the clips from Joy. That's my input, you're welcome

e: episode 6, series 5. Drippy Strummer.

if you're in the UK or have a VPN you can watch it here, recommend it, he's very funny

what is the failstate if you dont have access cause it keeps looking like it works but then just nothing happens

e: literally signed up with a throwaway and a random uk postcode

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Sep 29, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pastry of the Year posted:

I still read it in my head as "drott" despite having known better for twenty years. I just like it better that way.

I mean, of course, I'd pronounce it correctly if I ever had a call to.

??
It IS pronounced drott. Are you, perhaps, thinking of drought?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

John Lee posted:

??
It IS pronounced drott. Are you, perhaps, thinking of drought?

Nah, when talking about beer and other liquids, drought is pronounced draft, the augh is the same sound as in laugh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:wrong:

in the correct part of the world, its pronounced drawt you mongrels

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

drought rhymes with out
draught rhymes with aft

there is no place where draught or drought rhyme with drott

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So you freaks call it a drott horse?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wail til this guy hears about [place] where its pronounced [way]

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.
I was recently astounded to discover that there is one less 'r' in persevere than I thought. It still feels weird to type it that (correct) way. Did I just imagine that everyone was saying per-ser-vere/per-ser-verance? I even took 6 years of Latin. I don't know if I will be able to persevere.

Silmarildur has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Sep 29, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Silmarildur posted:

I was recently astounded to discover that there is one less 'r' in persevere than I thought. It still feels weird to type it that (correct) way. Did I just imagine that everyone was saying per-ser-vere/per-ser-verance? I even took 6 years of Latin. I don't know if I will be able to persevere.

I don't know the word, but it has a name in linguistics. It's something like "echoing", where a vowel sound will become the same as the one before or after if they're close enough, because we're just lazy as heck...

an example is Peugeout: Usually pronounced "pewshew" around here when it should be more like "pewshow" (pls forgive my lovely phonetics)

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

I don't know the word, but it has a name in linguistics. It's something like "echoing", where a vowel sound will become the same as the one before or after if they're close enough, because we're just lazy as heck...

an example is Peugeout: Usually pronounced "pewshew" around here when it should be more like "pewshow" (pls forgive my lovely phonetics)

This sent me on a little wiki journey through various linguistics and phonology pages (a crazy rabbit hole I will have to come back to) and it sounds like you are talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimilation_(phonology)

Do you mean Peugeot the car company? I would pronounce/phoneticize it as poo-zho, are you saying people in your region say it as a more rhyming poo-zhoo? That has a certain cutesy ring to it.

Thanks for sending me on this fascinating wiki binge. It is also nice to know that this is a normal phenomenon, and not just me being an insane idiot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, assimilation

I should have known better than trying to write out phonetics itt lol but yea, when 90% of Danes say Peugeot, it rhymes with "monsieur", which I just now realize is another example.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

https://forvo.com/word/peugeot/#fr

You're both mispronouncing the Peu part, but that's okay, I don't think that specific vowel even really exists in English (don't know about Danish).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm not mispronouncing it, in Danish it's ø (literally the same as the French eu)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh. Then I was thrown off by 'pewshow' (assuming English pronunciation rules)

e: all of this reminds me of the (English) loanword caravan, where Flemings will make fun of the Dutch for pronouncing it correctly. Silly Dutchmen

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Sep 29, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Closest as I could get ... English really really lacks vowel sounds.

For comparison, how would you write it out (assuming English pronunciation etc)?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Sep 29, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like 'uh' would have been closer than 'ew' in most varieties of English, but the eu in Peugeot is still different and more elongated. There's no exact equivalent, so it's a tough one without resorting to the IPA.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Everyone I've ever heard in England and Australia says it something like per-zjow (as best I can represent)

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

After listening to the samples on the linked page I can recognize it as the sound in "un peu." As an American English speaker it isn't a sound I am used to. This all reminds me of trying to master the 5 or so variations of 'e' in Russian, with ы being especially difficult for me to wrap my head around. The experience gave me a lot more sympathy for Japanese people and their rubber/lover difficulties.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like 'uh' would have been closer than 'ew' in most varieties of English, but the eu in Peugeot is still different and more elongated. There's no exact equivalent, so it's a tough one without resorting to the IPA.

english "uh" is often ə which i guess is pretty close...

lol this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UmFv7T2p68&t=182s

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Sep 29, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m confused because if you’re saying “peu” and it rhymes with the first syllable of “monsieur” it is definitely not how french people say “eu”.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Let me clear up your confusion: I'm not saying that. When someone says "rhymes" without any qualifiers, it's usually re the last syllable...

Also, there's only one vowel sound in m'sjø unless you're emphasizing for some weird reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well in that case they definitely don’t rhyme unless you’re saying one or both in a danish accent that I’m not imagining properly

Even french spelling isn’t so hosed that peugeot rhymes with monsieur. It’s pøʒo