Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

There is definitely something shady with his finances that would pop up in a background check isn't there? the bizarre baseball tickets etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Coldwar timewarp posted:

There is definitely something shady with his finances that would pop up in a background check isn't there? the bizarre baseball tickets etc.

He's bought and sold like everyone else in DC

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

facialimpediment posted:

The women that confronted Flake in the elevator possibly just changed history.

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1045743972268875776?s=19

Might be a very small change to history, but I would bet money Flake was going to be done with this whole thing without those survivors calling him out on his poo poo.

good on her. wish she wasn't going to get death threats for the rest of her life though

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I did some napkin math a little while ago with just his reported loans and he was in it up to his fuckin' eyeballs. Like, after the loan payments on his house, credit cards, personal loans he had about a pair of benjamins left over for, you know, supporting a family.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

not caring here posted:

I did some napkin math a little while ago with just his reported loans and he was in it up to his fuckin' eyeballs. Like, after the loan payments on his house, credit cards, personal loans he had about a pair of benjamins left over for, you know, supporting a family.

Being a typical boozehound it wouldn't surprise me if he's gambled himself into this

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
All you need to do t is ignrone reality and attempt to compensate with something else.because Kafvnaughs' hearing has me furious enough andn I know not how to trivialze this anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFRa0KZsGhc

2Finger, please put ein Bruder to sleep

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Didn't Flake get some BS 'agreement' in the past over a close vote on immigration or something that McConnell and Trump turned around and torched immediately afterward?

edit - one other point of consideration, there should be polls arriving in the next 4-5 days post Ford/Kav hearing that will give senators on the fence a better feel on how this is all playing out in the public.

Flake and Collins votes yea on the tax cuts as long as McConnel pinkey swears that they get a clean vote on DACA (they didn't).

iirc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So how much of a Mattering is Flake and Murkowski's demand for an investigation?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So how much of a Mattering is Flake and Murkowski's demand for an investigation?

In any sane timeline the President wouldn't have put they guy up for nomination in the first place, so probably not much

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I bet he still gets rammed through with some delay. But, it’s being pushed into prime campaign time so I would wager it has a significant affect on the polls.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sharknado slashfic posted:

In any sane timeline the President wouldn't have put they guy up for nomination in the first place, so probably not much

I mean what happens if Turtle says ":lol: no" to an investigation?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

All you need to do t is ignrone reality and attempt to compensate with something else.because Kafvnaughs' hearing has me furious enough andn I know not how to trivialze this anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFRa0KZsGhc

2Finger, please put ein Bruder to sleep

Nah I'm with you fam. Watching that Preppy Bitchmade Fuckman bluster and sputter about his innocence and his sports made me want to reach through the screen and pound his face into a pulp.
One of my best friends was raped a few years ago. Got slipped something in a drink, has no memory at all of being brought back to a hotel room. Her husband had no idea where she was, she wasn't answering her phone.
The rapist drove her home the next day, she collapsed on the floor as soon as the door closed.
They went to the police. Police pulled the video from the bar and from the hotel, they didn't see anyone slip anything into a drink, and they said it looked like she was going of her own free will into the hotel.

She had to beg her friends not to go after the guy, and she just wanted to put it all behind her. We still can't tell one dude because he will absolutely go to jail for beating him to within an inch of death.

Rapists are the scum of the earth and they deserve punishment.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
It's hard to say how much calling for an FBI investigation matters. Flake, Manchin, and Murkowski are all in favor an investigation. Does that mean they are so in favor of one that they would vote No if the vote was brought up without an investigation? Hard to say. That's probably what ol' Turtledick is trying to figure out right now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean what happens if Turtle says ":lol: no" to an investigation?

There will be some people that tweet about it but that’s about it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

There will be some people that tweet about it but that’s about it

:nallears:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Meanwhile, Area Man Raises White Privilege Shield.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1045753235129200641

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Do you agree or disagree?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

iKon posted:

Meanwhile, Area Man Raises White Privilege Shield.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1045753235129200641

Area Man can go gently caress himself, and in a just world he'd be subpoena'd right now.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The way that Mitch enables rapists makes you wonder what he did in his past

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can't Two Scoops just recess appoint Bart after the election?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

is there a point to being the thread eeyore?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The same purpose the original Eeyore has--to entertain us with someone else's misery.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Can't Two Scoops just recess appoint Bart after the election?

In theory, yes, but ever since Bush abused this to appoint Bolton as the UN ambassador after he was initially voted down by the Republican Senate, the Senate has stayed in session by members of each party staying behind and gavelling in during recess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

In theory, yes, but ever since Bush abused this to appoint Bolton as the UN ambassador after he was initially voted down by the Republican Senate, the Senate has stayed in session by members of each party staying behind and gavelling in during recess.
What if the Republicans refuse to do that this time because they're cowards?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

What if the Republicans refuse to do that this time because they're cowards?

Democrats can keep it in session by themselves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Shut up Cole

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fallom posted:

Shut up Cole

This has 100% of the time never gotten me to shut up, so gently caress off

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also keep in mind that the Republicans also have an interest in remaining techically in session to protect Racist Keebler.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lol this from you

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Also keep in mind that the Republicans also have an interest in remaining techically in session to protect Racist Keebler.
He's a horrible person but he's part of the flimsy bulwark necessary for Mueller to keep working. Also he's completely miserable in the job so there's that. He's doing awful poo poo as AG but so would anyone Donnie put in that seat.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Play nice children, daddy has a headache.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marriage equality is built on the exact same framework as Roe. It has no stronger footing than any other privacy right incorporated via the due process clause because they're all made up rights that don't actually exist in the text.

Anti-sodomy laws were overturned on the same grounds. It's very possible that a lot of federal protections are going to disappear in the next few years as we slide further into an oligarchy.
No, marriage equality rests on additional and truly constitutionally foundational ground.
In addition to penumbral arguments, Marriage equality/Obergefell is more importantly based on Equal Protection, which the Griswold (contraception)/Roe(abortion)/Lawrence(non-procreative sex)/penumbral cases are not. Windsor (essentially the federal Obergefell) is even more strongly an Equal Protection case.

If you want to compare apples to apples, look to Loving v. Virginia (interracial marriage) you'll find Equal Protection. You won't find privacy or Griswold or penumbral rights in it. (To be fair, it predates Roe, but not Griswold)

The constitutionality of interracial marriage isn't going anywhere.* Neither is same-sex marriage.

*It is 2018, after all. Now that we've broken spades with it for a soon-to-be SCOTUS judge, perhaps the rest of the court will join the growing legions of the petulant "gently caress decorum/rules/reason/you/equal protection" horseshoe and decide to just burn it all down. If that happens, there will be far more troubling things to be doing/enduring than applying for marriage certificates at the courthouse and filing joint tax returns with the IRS - for couples of any color or sexual orientation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Time for the one video that can make me feel better about anything.

https://youtu.be/M3L0Ut_PVrk

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1045757962533457921?s=19

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

https://twitter.com/NYCMandAhole/status/1045763675125174273

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I think odds are good that the FBI doesn't find anything concrete enough to "prove" any of the allegations, but talking to people unearths a bunch of skummy poo poo and shows that he lied a bunch under oath and kavanaugh gets the Al Capone treatment.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wouldn't the FBI already be investigating this poo poo from a counter intel point of view? You wouldn't want a supreme court justice out there with someone holding dirt on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I think odds are good that the FBI doesn't find anything concrete enough to "prove" any of the allegations, but talking to people unearths a bunch of skummy poo poo and shows that he lied a bunch under oath and kavanaugh gets the Al Capone treatment.
If anything else he needs his reputation destroyed.

• Locked thread