Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
*has a jar of minced garlic in the fridge because lol if you spend 10 minutes chopping garlic just to sautee the crap out of it*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

if lziard wizard has no knife and cutting board we need to take up a collection. trying to learn to cook without them is like trying to build a house with no hammer or nails

Hugh Malone posted:

*has a jar of minced garlic in the fridge because lol if you spend 10 minutes chopping garlic just to sautee the crap out of it*

the minced garlic in oil doesn't even taste/smell like garlic my dude

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 22, 2018

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
it is not a mortal sin to use garlic powder

poverty goat

https://i.imgur.com/iZLeqHe.gifv

knife chat

FutonForensic

beef status: destroyed

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FutonForensic posted:

beef status: destroyed

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

poverty goat posted:

the minced garlic in oil doesn't even taste/smell like garlic my dude

The one I got does when its sauteed, but yeah it sucks for probably anything else

I was just drunk and talkin smack. Fresh garlic owns, and it doesn't take 10 min to mince a few cloves. Next time I drink I'll try to stick to YouTube comments if I feel I must post

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I never mince garlic by hand. Garlic press is where it's at.

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I am not generally too big on kitchen gadgets--I mean, I've bought my share/got them as gifts, but they often just don't work well/conveniently enough to justify themselves. however I am pretty big on this thing, at least for the moment:

most garlic presses work great, but cleaning them is a hassle. with this thing, you just use a rocking motion to force the garlic through the holes, you use a spoon to scoop the crushed garlic into wherever it's supposed to go, and cleaning is remarkably easy. no moving parts, nothing to wear out, it's a good 'un imo.

ty nesamdoom!

Scaly Haylie

making myself three scrambled eggs for a late lunch. does two cloves of garlic seem reasonable?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

making myself three scrambled eggs for a late lunch. does two cloves of garlic seem reasonable?

way too much imo

Scaly Haylie

welp, we'll see how this pans out. also chucked some onion powder into the egg because it was there.

Scaly Haylie

truly, these were eggs. could've used salt.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Lizard Wizard posted:

truly, these were eggs. could've used salt.

another byob success story

do you put cheese in your eggs mr. wizard?

Scaly Haylie

Luvcow posted:

another byob success story

do you put cheese in your eggs mr. wizard?

i'm counting those calories, so i had to make a call between three eggs or three eggs and some cheese, but i think i might next time.

poverty goat

Speaking of garlic, dinner tonight: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/spanish-style-garlic-shrimp-gambas-al-ajillo-recipe.html

It's a Kenji recipe that illustrates how garlic gives you different flavors depending on how you prep and cook it (somewhere in serious eats land there's a good article about this)

Manifisto posted:

I am not generally too big on kitchen gadgets--I mean, I've bought my share/got them as gifts, but they often just don't work well/conveniently enough to justify themselves. however I am pretty big on this thing, at least for the moment:

You know what's easier to clean than any of these unitaskers? A knife and cutting board. Work on your #1 most useful kitchen skill and you won't need them. A microplane works well in a pinch and is at least more useful than any garlic appliance

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 23, 2018

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

Speaking of garlic, dinner tonight: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/spanish-style-garlic-shrimp-gambas-al-ajillo-recipe.html

You know what's easier to clean than any of these unitaskers? A knife and cutting board. Work on your #1 most useful kitchen skill and you won't need them. A microplane works well in a pinch and is at least more useful than any garlic appliance

oh my gosh, gambas al ajillo, you'll be needing to set out another place at your table!

personally I've chopped plenty garlic with chef knives and you're right. that said, crushed garlic is not quite the same as chopped/minced garlic, the crushing seems to bring out more of the oils which I like sometimes, and the rocking gadget is fast fast fast. if you were doing a bunch of cloves I imagine you could plow through them at several times the speed of a knife (or a microplane). also also garlic slices have this habit of clinging to the sides of my knives, so in order to chop everything uniform I need to keep scraping garlic chunks off the knife - a minor annoyance, I know, but an annoyance nonetheless, especially if you get impatient like I do and use your fingers, which makes your hands all garlicky

poverty goat

if you want to be really lazy and you've got some kind of food processor/blender, buy a few heads of garlic and peel them all at once w/ the two bowls trick. Then just puree them adding just enough water to get it into a coarse paste. Freeze it flat in a bag so you can break off a chunk as needed, and it'll taste better than the old dessicated garlic you find in the drawer most of the time

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 23, 2018

joke_explainer

TVsVeryOwn posted:

augh!! I hate em!! Try it side by side, a quick mince which takes like, at most one minute, or the garlic press which takes 30 seconds-2 minutes of finding the garlic press and 5 seconds to press. I have no idea why, or what the explanation is, or what the gently caress is going on, but it squirts out garlic juice and the maceration? of the garlic ends up with it tasting harsher to me. I don't know. I'm definitely a person here that rants about the "right" way to do things, but everyone has to find their own way I guess. Knives are really easy, just watch some youtube videos and practice when you cook.

poverty goat posted:

if you want to be really lazy and you've got some kind of food processor/blender, buy a few heads of garlic and peel them all at once w/ the two bowls trick. Then just puree them adding just enough water to get it into a coarse paste. Freeze it flat in a bag so you can break off a chunk as needed, and it'll taste better than the old dessicated garlic you find in the drawer most of the time

yeah this isn't a bad tip at all for the lazy or even just an infrequent cook. This is light years ahead of the 'jar of ancient waxed garlic in oil' technique of garlic use. I know when I was not cooking very often, I frequently just bought a new bulb of garlic every time I was going to cook something with it, it just gets all bitter and nasty after it sits around too long. And starts growing green stalks out of it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's way too much. Garlic is very strong. You eat too much and your mouth feels like some bog where horrible rituals took place imo. One clove for 3 scrambled eggs is a strong garlic signature to the dish.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
stop posting "no more garlic" and start posting "no, more garlic," imo

just wanna put out there that burrata is proof that not everything is terrible. i unimaginatively had it with a nice, ripe, fresh tomat, some fresh basil, and a little olive oil. goodbye, summer

lizard wizard you are gonna FLIP when you learn about roasting garlic.

Scaly Haylie

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

lizard wizard you are gonna FLIP when you learn about roasting garlic.

hell, flip me now!

poverty goat

the shrimp was amazing btw as was the baguette tasked with cleanup and artichokes were a good accompaniment due to the abundance of delicious garlic shrimp oil for dipping. looking forward to sweating garlic all day

I microplaned the 8 cloves of minced garlic :twisted:

poverty goat

In other news: I'm toasting some cream right now in the instant pot thinking I might put some in the eggnog this year. Probably going to mix up the booze blend as well but haven't decided on specifics

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Lizard Wizard posted:

hell, flip me now!

here's a nice little recipe and you can do it in a toaster oven! https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_garlic/

in short, get a head of garlic and take off the papery outer layers, but don't peel or separate the cloves.

cut off about a quarter inch or half a centimeter from the top of the head to expose the ends of the individual cloves. use a little olive oil to grease up the cut zone.

wrap it all in aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 min or until the gloves are light golden brown and soft. remove and let cool, then enjoy your tender and delicious garlic however you like.

you can keep it in the fridge for a bit to add to other dishes you cook as a seasoning or condiment! (I rarely get past the "smear on bread" stage bc it's delicious)

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

alnilam

I know this is a :can: but any idea what style of barbecue sauce would go best towards turning a red meat (venison in this case but similar to beef) into pulled barbecue type meat? Like are some sauces better for that task or is it pure preference of sauce taste?

I have no established barbecue opinions because I don't eat meat but recently started cooking venison that I hunted and so cooking meat is sort of novel to me. I was told that a few pounds of red meat (like venison), a bottle of bbq sauce, and a beer in a slow cooker all day will make great pulled meat. But what kind of sauce!!

as a side note I've been making mexican style barbacoa out of the venison and it's amazing, that's why I'm thinking of branching out to american style barbecue

ty manifisto

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

I know this is a :can: but any idea what style of barbecue sauce would go best towards turning a red meat (venison in this case but similar to beef) into pulled barbecue type meat? Like are some sauces better for that task or is it pure preference of sauce taste?

I have no established barbecue opinions because I don't eat meat but recently started cooking venison that I hunted and so cooking meat is sort of novel to me. I was told that a few pounds of red meat (like venison), a bottle of bbq sauce, and a beer in a slow cooker all day will make great pulled meat. But what kind of sauce!!

as a side note I've been making mexican style barbacoa out of the venison and it's amazing, that's why I'm thinking of branching out to american style barbecue

I don't have a lot of practical experience to offer with this specific problem but if I had to attempt this right now blind with materials on hand I'd start with sweet baby rays and add a good bit of black pepper, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and a tiny drip of liquid smoke. maybe toss a quartered onion and some crushed cloves of garlic in there too and pick them out before shredding the meat. id eat that

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

this sounds good:

poverty goat posted:

I don't have a lot of practical experience to offer with this specific problem but if I had to attempt this right now blind with materials on hand I'd start with sweet baby rays and add a good bit of black pepper, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and a tiny drip of liquid smoke. maybe toss a quartered onion and some crushed cloves of garlic in there too and pick them out before shredding the meat. id eat that

my take would be what i do when i'm slow cooking bbq: start with a honey or brown sugar bbq sauce and add sweet onion and cayenne and diced apples which goes really well with venison

a couple of chef friends of mine who used to cook for a group of us had me get a copy of the book they used for culinary school and it has these lists in the back of what pairs well with certain ingredients. its like my cooking bible when i'm working with new ideas, pic below:

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

which book is that?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Subjunctive posted:

which book is that?

culinary artistry by andrew dornenburg and karen page

https://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Artistry-Andrew-Dornenburg/dp/0471287857

alnilam

Thank you to my posting pals for the suggestions! I ended up doing
2 lb venison shoulder
1/2 onion, diced
1 bottle honey based hickory smoke bbq sauce -at the lovely grocery store i went to oddly enough kraft brand had the most real ingredients
1 can great divide yeti stout
a few dashes cayenne
a few dashes W sauce

Pressure cooked for 40 min

It's extremely good! Also just baked some sourdough bread to eat it on mmmm

Robot Made of Meat

Cooking with pressure is truly amazing. Especially for something that tends toward tough.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

poverty goat

nog supplies

my instant pot has been busy for a couple of days toasting (pressure cooking) half a gallon of cream at a time

The X-man cometh
What ratio of booze do you have to use to keep it from going bad in the fridge?

poverty goat

As far as the minimum alcohol, I have no clue, but the alton brown recipe has relatively little booze in it (in the grand scheme of nog recipes) and is explicitly to be aged. My recipe has 3x as much booze in it and comes out around 20% alcohol, and you can age it for ever. I've still got some from last year.

alnilam

My recipe also comes out to 20% alcohol and it owns

poverty goat

I did this twice today

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i wish i had a bf so i could watch him cook gallons of cream 1/year

Scaly Haylie

time to roast the garlic

Robot Made of Meat

Not sure it counts as "fine," but Chicken Parmesan is both tasty and also tasty.

Just take some chiggen boobs, cover them with waxed paper, and whack them a bit with your meat whacker. Dredge with flour, dip in egg wash, then coat in panko. Fry them lightly in your cast iron skillet, then grate some parmesan on them, dump a little red sauce on them, and broil them until marvelous.

Serve with pasta and additional red sauce with additional parmesan grated on it.

I'd take pictures, but it's all in my belly now. MMMMMmm!

Note: This was a very low effortpost, but it was sincere?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

as was once said in frisky dingo, "sorry, i was jonesing for a chick parm"