Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

This always runs together with A History of Violence in my mind because they're both comic book movies and they both had back-to-back trailers on about three vhs tapes or dvds I had when I was younger.

I think Road to Perdition is better. It's certainly better than most comic book movies from the past 10 years.

Road to Perdition is that good!? Huh, I never realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Syncopated posted:

Road to Perdition is that good!? Huh, I never realized.

It drags in places but it has some neat performances by Daniel Craig and his dad, Paul Newman. I wouldn't put it above History of Violence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The mention of SPR reminds me that Roberto Benigni won the Best Actor Oscar that year for his The Day the Clown Cried sequel over Hanks in SPR.

(Of course, of the nominees that year it probably should have been either Edward Norton or Ian McKellen, who had done American History X and Gods and Monsters respectively.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

This always runs together with A History of Violence in my mind because they're both comic book movies and they both had back-to-back trailers on about three vhs tapes or dvds I had when I was younger.

I think Road to Perdition is better. It's certainly better than most comic book movies from the past 10 years.

He should play Turner D. Century in the next Captain America movie.

Apparently, as a piece of trivia, A History of Violence was the last major release on VHS.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hanks never should have been a straight leading man. His goofiness is the selling point.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 28, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
October approaches. That can only mean more David S. Pumpkins.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hanks should have been the star of the Death Wish remake instead of Bruce Willis.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hanks should have been the star of the Death Wish remake instead of Bruce Willis.

True, but I'd still want Denzel Washington as Paul Kersey, just so you could bookend his career.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wheat Loaf posted:

If he played Paul Kersey as his character from The 'Burbs, that would be an absolute must watch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1045464358925430786

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Joe VS the Volcano.

My parents have never seen a Tom Hanks movie since they walked out of Joe vs. The Volcano.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Grendels Dad posted:

Which superhero movie should Tom Hanks be in, and should he be a hero or a villain?

Tom Hanks as Darkseid in The New Gods.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gonz posted:

October approaches. That can only mean more David S. Pumpkins.

Oh for gently caress's sake

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Burbs is pretty close to a perfect movie. Don’t @ me.

“Hey... Pinocchio! Where are you going?”

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grendels Dad posted:

Which superhero movie should Tom Hanks be in, and should he be a hero or a villain?

He should be

the Ventriloquist

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

the Ventriloquist

Co-starring Sheriff Woody as Scarface.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

My parents have never seen a Tom Hanks movie since they walked out of Joe vs. The Volcano.

My parents also hated the film and wanted to walk out. I love it, despite the 3rd act issues.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fart City posted:

The Burbs is pretty close to a perfect movie. Don’t @ me.

“Hey... Pinocchio! Where are you going?”

It's my favorite Joe Dante movie.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Why is Joe Dante still in TV purgatory?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the Mr. Rogers movie will touch on how he found out that one of the major players on the show was gay and then used his clout as the creator/star to convince the guy to stay in the closet.

The recent documentary didn't shy away from that, which I appreciated.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Peanut President posted:

He should be

the Ventriloquist

That's pretty fuckin good

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Enos Cabell posted:

Why is Joe Dante still in TV purgatory?

I think it's how hard 'Looney Tunes: Back in Action' bombed fifteen years ago. Isn't that his last big theatrical release?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wikipedia says he's directed one feature since then, a horror movie called The Hole which came out in 2009 or so.

Honestly, though, of that generation of directors, I think Spielberg is the only one who's still really consistently active, at least among the big names. Maybe Zemeckis and Scorsese too, but I think they've both slowed down a bit and their movies aren't as big as they once were. George Lucas hasn't directed a movie since 2005 and honestly it's not like he couldn't.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think it's how hard 'Looney Tunes: Back in Action' bombed fifteen years ago. Isn't that his last big theatrical release?
I had no idea what a mess that movie was until I watched it over the summer. Apparently it was a miserable experience for him due to studio interference so some of this might be by choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Back In Action was consciously trying to "fix" the Looney Tunes after Space Jam, which is fair enough because Space Jam isn't a very good movie, but it probably shouldn't have been a top priority.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Back In Action was consciously trying to "fix" the Looney Tunes after Space Jam, which is fair enough because Space Jam isn't a very good movie, but it probably shouldn't have been a top priority.
:colbert: You're not a very good movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

:colbert: You're not a very good movie.

If you had a time machine and you went back to 1996 and you replaced Michael Jordan with Michael B. Jordan (I assume Michael B. Jordan would be game for coming with you), the result might be palatable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Come on and slam...

the edit button on your post, and please remove that observation about Space Jam

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Hanks never should have been a straight leading man. His goofiness is the selling point.

more Terminals for everybody

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Come on and slam...

the edit button on your post, and please remove that observation about Space Jam

I loved Space Jam when I was five. It is one of the few movies I went to see in the cinema more than once and then I nearly wore out my vhs copy rewatching it. Then I went back to it after about 15 years expecting it to reactivate all this nostalgia I had, and came away from it really disappointed. :shrug:

I wonder if I'd feel the same way about Shrek, another movie I saw multiple times in theatres but don't think I've watched since about 2002.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you had a time machine and you went back to 1996 and you replaced Michael Jordan with Michael B. Jordan (I assume Michael B. Jordan would be game for coming with you), the result might be palatable.

Space Jam is horror film about a team of space trabelers thinking that their technology makes them untouchable to the world they visit only to find out that the planet theyre on has the nastiest monster in the galaxy that hunts them down.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Wheat Loaf is right, Space Jam sucks. Introducing Lola Bunny is a very obnoxious way to say "SEE?! BUGS ISN'T GAY! SEE?!" even though Bugs is obviously queer as hell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if the Mr. Rogers movie will touch on how he found out that one of the major players on the show was gay and then used his clout as the creator/star to convince the guy to stay in the closet.

The recent documentary didn't shy away from that, which I appreciated.

If I remember right, he was trying to save the guy from getting fired. I think it was the man who played the cop Rogers hang out with.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

I loved Space Jam when I was five. It is one of the few movies I went to see in the cinema more than once and then I nearly wore out my vhs copy rewatching it. Then I went back to it after about 15 years expecting it to reactivate all this nostalgia I had, and came away from it really disappointed. :shrug:

I wonder if I'd feel the same way about Shrek, another movie I saw multiple times in theatres but don't think I've watched since about 2002.

Shrek's still pretty good but i couldnt even stand the sequels as a teen

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Al Borland Korn posted:

That's pretty fuckin good

Yeah seriously, that's the kind of answer I was looking for and couldn't come up with myself. I did think of Darkseid, but only if they did for Hanks and him what they did for Brolin and Thanos, effects-wise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LesterGroans posted:

Wheat Loaf is right, Space Jam sucks. Introducing Lola Bunny is a very obnoxious way to say "SEE?! BUGS ISN'T GAY! SEE?!" even though Bugs is obviously queer as hell.

I thought it was less about giving Bugs a case of the not-gays and more about how the only female characters in Looney Tunes were two old women and and they needed a female character to update it to the grrrl power 90s for merchandising. Except they got horny with it instead of giving her an actual personality.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lola Bunny rules in The Looney Tunes Show where she's just completely insane.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Everybody knows that the First Lady of Looney Tunes is Tweety Bird.

(covers microphone)

Wait, what?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn’t it after Tiny Tunes introduced a female version of Bugs that ended up being extremely popular? Just not the way WB thought at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wasn’t it after Tiny Tunes introduced a female version of Bugs that ended up being extremely popular? Just not the way WB thought at the time.

Babs Bunny. No relation.