Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Push El Burrito posted:

Umm that one robot had giant clanging testicles.

So do I, but you don't see me making movies about them

Short films, maybe, but I don't make a big deal about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a scene where they open a door in a museum in Virginia and it opens up to Arizona.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want to like the movie because it has motherfucking Soundwave, my fave Con ever, in it.

Then I remember what happened with Grimlock.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Aphrodite posted:

He runs away in the first one, then runs away in the second one, then Shia Labeouf kills him in the 3rd one.

All the more reason to hate Shia LaBeouf.

I always loved the Starscream-Megatron dynamic of a powerful leader keeping as his lieutenant someone who he despises, distrusts, doesn't respect and is openly gunning to kill him and take his position, but ultimately is good enough at his job to be worth keeping in the position. Also the whole keep your friends close and your enemies even closer stuff.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Transformers are made in China, not Vietnam.

:whitewater:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

All the more reason to hate Shia LaBeouf.

I always loved the Starscream-Megatron dynamic of a powerful leader keeping as his lieutenant someone who he despises, distrusts, doesn't respect and is openly gunning to kill him and take his position, but ultimately is good enough at his job to be worth keeping in the position. Also the whole keep your friends close and your enemies even closer stuff.

Also because quite simply you can't rule someone like the Cons without being on your toes all the time. Prime can loving relax, he never has to worry about someone stronger trying a coup. For Megatron, that's every day because the Cons don't have a retirement plan and certainly follow Megatron because he's the strongest, and most able to dodge loving death nonstop, especially from his own team.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Surely somewhere in the comics/TV shows etc. there has to be a story where Starscream successfully stages a coup. I reckon that would be cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Surely somewhere in the comics/TV shows etc. there has to be a story where Starscream successfully stages a coup. I reckon that would be cool.

I think it'd be funnier if there's just literally no Transformers story or universe anywhere in existence where Starscream can get one over on Megatron. A perennial loser.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I think Beast Wars has one where his disembodied spark takes over Waspinator and he manages to knock that Megatron off the top of the heap for a bit, but I may be (probably am) misremembering.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fall of Cybertron has a part where Starscream successfully takes control after Megatron "dies". He even got himself as crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcSQZ0gyGc

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think the comics have had a bit of a long-running storyline a few years back where Starscream became leader of Cybertron.

On the flipside of that, I think one of the Transformers cartoons of a few years ago had a gradually worn-down Starscream going through an identity crisis, having realized he's not a good leader and never will be, giving up his desire for personal power.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The comics have been doing a long-running storyline that I've meant to get into for a long time where Megatron genuinely begins regretting his actions and joins the Autobots for a penance that he may never get

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I may have posted it ages ago, but as IDW's current Transformers run is coming to an end, I've been going back through old issues to remind myself of stuff and came back across this. Our heroes have made a detour to the home of the 'Necrobot' who far from being some sort of robot Charon is instead a record-keeper, noting which transformers have died, who killed them and essentially turning the entire planet to a memorial for a race scourged by war. He also makes displays of flowers, which note how many robots were killed at the hands of others. So obviously, Megatron goes to find his memorial

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always wondered why Megatron didn't loving execute Starscream after his first (of dozens of) failed coup attempt (s). He's not demonstrated to be useful or competent in the show or have any abilities they wouldn't have otherwise.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Samuringa posted:

The comics have been doing a long-running storyline that I've meant to get into for a long time where Megatron genuinely begins regretting his actions and joins the Autobots for a penance that he may never get

I could never get into these melodramatic moments because at the end of the day they're robots that turn into cars explicitly to sell toys and it just seems so forced to me
Like I get it good on the writers trying to make it into more but all I can imagine when reading stuff like that is a commercial of the 90s with an excited man voice telling even more excited kids that they now have SPRING LOADED MISSILE LAUNCHER ACTION POW TAKE THAT MEGATRON as a thing of cans fall on the Megatron chunk of plastic after a little missile shaped plastic hits it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Beast Wars has one where his disembodied spark takes over Waspinator and he manages to knock that Megatron off the top of the heap for a bit, but I may be (probably am) misremembering.

No, this is right. And Starscream promptly gets beaten and exiled/disbodied again and is never seen again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Calaveron posted:

I could never get into these melodramatic moments because at the end of the day they're robots that turn into cars explicitly to sell toys and it just seems so forced to me
Like I get it good on the writers trying to make it into more but all I can imagine when reading stuff like that is a commercial of the 90s with an excited man voice telling even more excited kids that they now have SPRING LOADED MISSILE LAUNCHER ACTION POW TAKE THAT MEGATRON as a thing of cans fall on the Megatron chunk of plastic after a little missile shaped plastic hits it

When you actually read the comic it's a bit easier to get into it. And people grow up with this stuff. It's normal. It's like saying you can't take people dying in superhero movies seriously because they should be talking about Hostess fruit pies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghost Leviathan posted:

because they should be talking about Hostess fruit pies.

Well, they should be :colbert:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

superhero ... fruit pies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAwgF8X0UVw

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

I knew what this was going to be. I’ll click it each and every time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just got home from watching Transformers: The Movie on the big screen. Nostalgia overload!

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
About the Transformers Bay's movies, how good are the ones with Walberg in it? I mean compared with the firsts 3. Are they at least on par? I tapped out after the 3rd one because it was utter garbage (I liked the first one enough and was disappointed by the second one).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

New Wave Jose posted:

About the Transformers Bay's movies, how good are the ones with Walberg in it? I mean compared with the firsts 3. Are they at least on par? I tapped out after the 3rd one because it was utter garbage (I liked the first one enough and was disappointed by the second one).

I just watched Age of Extinction (the one with the infamous romeo and juliet card scene) and it was decent to look at like all of them but extremely stupid. It wasn't as good as the first, probably on par with the sequels. I mean, if you like transformers movies I'd still watch it, but don't go into it wanting any more than some cool explosions and robots punching each other.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just watched Age of Extinction (the one with the infamous romeo and juliet card scene) and it was decent to look at like all of them but extremely stupid.

Not to belittle the work put into the creation of those movies, but 'decent to look at' is probably the last thing I'd call those things. It's exceedingly unpleasant.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The Michael Bay Transformers movies are great if you like watching scrap metal men incoherently fly around the screen while human characters nobody care about yell and run.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The most recent one was definitely way better than Age of Extinction. It still wasn't great but it was entertaining.

The main problem with those movies is Bay insists on them being like 2.5 hours every time and they always drag at some point because of it. Just make a tight 1hr 40 minute movie about giant robots fighting each other, not sure what's so difficult about that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A lesson Guillermo del toro could learn as well

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

oldpainless posted:

A lesson Guillermo del toro could learn as well

At least his movies ARE pretty to look at, though. A lot less racist and rapey as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GDT movies have rape but they are usually done by the bad guys so that's an improvement.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not to belittle the work put into the creation of those movies, but 'decent to look at' is probably the last thing I'd call those things. It's exceedingly unpleasant.

Lockdown is the sexiest transformer they've put to screen so I'll have you know it's extremely decent to look at.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Shape of Water spent an unusual amount of time into the bad guy and the spy's personal lives, completely divorced from the fish-man. The gore is way more shocking than any horror-movie because you sure as poo poo don't expect it. I did appreciate that they showed the leading lady's morning-ritual includes jerking-off in the tub because everyone has needs.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Sep 28, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
In Crimson Peak, the villains were basically the protagonists. I found myself taken in by Hiddleston's stupid ideas about building machines to refine mud.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Basebf555 posted:

The most recent one was definitely way better than Age of Extinction. It still wasn't great but it was entertaining.

The main problem with those movies is Bay insists on them being like 2.5 hours every time and they always drag at some point because of it. Just make a tight 1hr 40 minute movie about giant robots fighting each other, not sure what's so difficult about that.

That was my gripe too, at most they should've been between 90-120 minutes, some were close to 3 hours & felt like they dragged on

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So hey, you know how back sheathes for swords are actually really impractical and terrible in real life, but you see them quite often in computer games and so on because they look neat?

In Gotham, Azrael has such a sheath, and it was wonderful watching the actor contorting himself to draw the weapon from such an awkward position. Bless him, he did his best to maintain composure, but it was hilarious to see.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
How the hell did they bring him in without the knightfall/bane storyline? It's kinda central to his character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Safeword posted:

So hey, you know how back sheathes for swords are actually really impractical and terrible in real life, but you see them quite often in computer games and so on because they look neat?

In Gotham, Azrael has such a sheath, and it was wonderful watching the actor contorting himself to draw the weapon from such an awkward position. Bless him, he did his best to maintain composure, but it was hilarious to see.

In the Witcher 3 they put a little animation where Geralt reaches back with his free hand and slaps the bottom of the scabbard to give it a more convenient angle.

The sword still phases through anyway because the speed of the animation is pretty quick, but it’s a cool little touch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How the hell did they bring him in without the knightfall/bane storyline? It's kinda central to his character.

It's Gotham, basically Smallville for Batman. Though even then, isn't Azrael's whole deal that he was already an experienced Catholic themed vigilante?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Like an idiot, I tried to watch Sicario II: Day of the Dropped Ball.

Opening scene: chopper + suvs discovering a line of illegal immigrants at the border. as they approach on foot, the audience realizes that one of them is not mexican but muslim :cry: obviously he blows himself up (with a weird shaped charge that blasts upwards but throws the border agents back). clearly the Mexican border is a funnel for islamic terrorists

There's no Emily Blunt and apparently no other POV character

Oh also, scene 2: A supermarket, three muslim-looking guys enter and blow up. The camera then focuses on a woman and a child who walk towards the exit pleading with the final terrorist. he blows them up.

I only watched the first ~20 minutes but here's more:
- muslim James Dean grooms a 10 year old middle class islamic kid for terrorism by flashing his leather jacket
- Matthew Modine does a Bill Clinton impersonation for some reason
- Brolin tortures a Somali pirate

and if that all sounds "so bad its good", trust me its not

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Safeword posted:

The few times I've seen them represented in detail in fantasy books they describe back sheaths as shorter with a buckle ring at the top. So you unclip the buckle then pull it out of the sheath no problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sicario II they reveal that the Mexican border is not a funnel for islamic terrorists and that the whole plan to start a cartel war was a waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mu Zeta posted:

Sicario II they reveal that the Mexican border is not a funnel for islamic terrorists and that the whole plan to start a cartel war was a waste of time

i dont believe you