Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

NeuroticLich posted:

You all are forgetting the best miniarc: Four Sherlock Holmes and a Vampire. :colbert:

Absolutely worth the Maximum Fun donation by itself.
seconding this

hell, the masterpiece of a theme song is worth the donation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm going to miss Agustus Parsons, of the Agustus Parsons Cashew Company.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

:same:

https://twitter.com/AlliRambles/status/1044968206639804416

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PMush Perfect posted:

:hai:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just got out of the TAZ liveshow and hot drat, tonight’s was really good.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

NeuroticLich posted:

Just got out of the TAZ liveshow and hot drat, tonight’s was really good.

extremely. good scenarios to riff on and a hell of an unexpected resolution

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
The constant applause/uproar at the end of every sentence at the last two TAZ live shows I have been to is baffling, especially compared to mbmbam audiences where only things that are actually funny / clever / significant get a big reaction. I'm thinking of getting some feedback on this opinion on the FB groups, where I'm sure the friendly and reasonable people there can talk about very mildly critical things in a reasonable way. what could go wrong, right?

e: trav should tweet more to thin out the herd

bomblol fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 28, 2018

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It does sort of baffle me too, but it doesn't bother me too much? :shrug: Like, people are enjoying it. I just wish they wouldn't do it when someone on stage is talking, because I definitely missed several jokes because of cheering. All in all though, still really fun. I wanted to do last night's MBMBaM too, but I wasn't able to swing that one. Hopefully next year if they swing by Seattle/Tacoma again I'll be able to finally see a MBMBaM liveshow.

But people definitely need to not yell suggestions for what the party should do, which a couple people started doing tonight. Thankfully, Griffin told people to stop that immediately, but I still don't see why you'd even start doing that?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

NeuroticLich posted:

It does sort of baffle me too, but it doesn't bother me too much? :shrug: Like, people are enjoying it. I just wish they wouldn't do it when someone on stage is talking, because I definitely missed several jokes because of cheering. All in all though, still really fun. I wanted to do last night's MBMBaM too, but I wasn't able to swing that one. Hopefully next year if they swing by Seattle/Tacoma again I'll be able to finally see a MBMBaM liveshow.

But people definitely need to not yell suggestions for what the party should do, which a couple people started doing tonight. Thankfully, Griffin told people to stop that immediately, but I still don't see why you'd even start doing that?

Oh I agree on those points for sure, and in the moment I'm generally enjoying the antics on stage too much to focus on it at all. It's afterwards I'm a piss baby, like when I have to wait for the live episode to hear some joke or reference that I missed the first time around because everyone was whooping over a random statement about mechanics or something (30 times.)
I was also going to whine about the heckling but tbh, what live show (without a dress code) doesn't have heckling? But yeah, I was glad Griff wasn't afraid to firmly (but nicely) say to cut it out. I get that it will happen because there are a lot of young people / people who may not go to live shows of any kind there, which was me at one point, but how do you listen to TAZ and not realize that none of the boys care about forgetting a status effect, and (in this instance, with the blindness) obviously it was specifically ignored because it would ruin the flow and potentially drag things out.

Overall it was a really good time, both shows. I'm just expressing pent up curmudgeonly whining that I haven't been able to express until I thought of checking sa for a thread :shrug:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. And I completely forgot about the heckling (tbh, I only have a vague memory of it being directed at Clint and have forgotten the context), which was weird.

Also, anyone complaining about them ignoring the blindness status effect in that instance was obviously not considering that they have a finite amount of time to run these adventures, which means some things might get thrown to the wayside! Especially if it’s not going to make for particularly enthralling audio theatre.

It’s not Critical Role where it’s 4-hour long sessions and a bit more serious than TAZ on average. Hell, Griffin even said, and I guess I’ll spoiler tag this just incase, that the gargoyle had it’s own encounter bit that got thrown out, presumably for time. I think tonight’s show clocked in at about two hours, with intermission?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

flatluigi posted:

travis legit has narcissistic personality disorder which is more of an excuse than a lot of people have in cases like this

ymmv how much it actually excuses, of course

pull up thread!!! no

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thread had literally already pulled up before you dragged it back down?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Live comedy is a weird thing when it comes to stage productions. Most scenarios it is poor audience etiquette to clap or cheer in the middle of a performance. Like think of clapping in the middle of a composition in an opera or play. But comedy is supposed to get a crowd reaction. That's how comedians know they're doing a good job. The McElroys have found themselves in a weird area where they tell a story and be funny at the same time as a profession. You can't tell a crowd to wait till the end of an act to clap or cheer, that would be weird. But it's also weird to interrupt a story in progress with audience reactions after every joke or reference to a previous thing.

My horrible nerd opinion is to create new characters so that the crowd doesn't feed on the callbacks so hard. Old references sell tickets, but I don't think the brand would actually suffer from it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I mean, does anybody really care about the stories in these live shows in such a way that people clapping would be rude?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I wouldn’t be opposed to a new set of characters doing goofy one offs via live shows. I haven’t heard the TAZ: Nights but I’ve always heard good things.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I mean, does anybody really care about the stories in these live shows in such a way that people clapping would be rude?

I mean I'm clearly not alone when I say that I find the frequency of audience clapping to be annoying. Not deal breaking by any means but the roaring applause doesn't add to the experience, in my opinion.

Edit: by clapping I mean the wild cheering.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 28, 2018

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I care that it cuts the episode in half because 50% of airtime is spent waiting for the audience to shut up.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
A friend of mine that went to the show last night said that people cheered when someone came out and put a water bottle on the table on stage. Full on cheering. That is the sort of stuff that makes me bristle with the live shows. People have let out woos for characters that are for just that show alone. It is getting to the point where no matter what anyone says there are cheers, which means that they have to rush so much poo poo toward the end that it doesn't seem satisfying.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Colander Crotch posted:

A friend of mine that went to the show last night said that people cheered when someone came out and put a water bottle on the table on stage. Full on cheering. That is the sort of stuff that makes me bristle with the live shows. People have let out woos for characters that are for just that show alone. It is getting to the point where no matter what anyone says there are cheers, which means that they have to rush so much poo poo toward the end that it doesn't seem satisfying.

That's Paul and it happens at every show. Giving him appreciation for his hard work.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's not the clapping, it's the screaming. The screaming for every little thing is so, so tiresome.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's not the clapping, it's the screaming. The screaming for every little thing is so, so tiresome.
it's this

I'm fine with them expressing their excitement, I just wish they'd do it in a way that a) wasn't right loving into my ear or b) doesn't make it impossible to hear the performers

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

“Hello -” *small screams* “S” *screaming intensifies* “I” *indistinguisable den of sound* “R” *people are passing out* “S!” *EMTs are carting people out of the theater, decimal record has been broken*

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

“Hello -” *small screams* “S” *screaming intensifies* “I” *indistinguisable den of sound* “R” *people are passing out* “S!” *EMTs are carting people out of the theater, decimal record has been broken*

:goonsay:

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

It’s a legitimate criticism that comes up again and again.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Man this thread is cyclical as gently caress

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is 649 pages long. Things will repeat.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Colonel Whitey posted:

Man this thread is cyclical as gently caress

The commercials on Max Fun are very bad

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Riptor posted:

Amnesty is different than Balance

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

Amnesty is different than Balance

travis

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

the facebook group

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS PEDANTRY

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

where are the goofs?!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Gay

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Sometimes the cycles are good. Like when people rediscover fun bits or animations.

Everytime someone new to the McElroy thread links TAZ animatics/music videos or clips from the show I listen to them again.

In the spirit of which, this is still the funniest video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BjkGsc1rMU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

I found this one again today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alAbyXGLLEA

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Riptor posted:

What even is a heat rock?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'VE BUILT AN EMPIRE!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Still a classic.

Here's a new one I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-x8EC3Bdc

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Thank Travis for Travis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Daddy Issues is exhibit A for why you should like Travis.

Justin is lawful, Griffin is neutral, Travis is chaotic.