Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought it was well done cliche but i dont have much exposure to the genre. Cooking with Natsuki was great, got way way too intense all of a sudden and the sayori dialogue choice right afterwards was so agonizing.

Everything after that might as well have been a slenderman creepypasta for all I cared.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Doki Doki was edgy poo poo and other games did what it was trying to do a lot better in multiple ways.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 28, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

chumbler posted:

Man that was last year already?

2017 was a loving awesome year for gaming

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tbh I think meta stuff in games beyond hotline miami's "do you like hurting people?" is mostly uninteresting... undertale's a great game but you get to ignore all the homestuck-tier psychopath crap, muffet's very straightforward and it's the best part of an excellent game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can interesting things with meta stuff

but a lot of video game stories that bill themselves entirely around being meta aren't very good at it

we're just never going to be able to reach the heights of omikron: the nomad soul these days. that really was the apex of meta storytelling, many scholars agree

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Baten Kaitos did something cool with the idea of forcibly reminding you that you the player aren't the main character, which was a neat direction to go with meta ideas since usually video games try to do the opposite

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danganronpa V3 came out around the same time as Literature Club and it is the single best VN I've played but it doesn't mean poo poo if you're not at all invested in the series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

we're just never going to be able to reach the heights of omikron: the nomad soul these days. that really was the apex of meta storytelling, many scholars agree
Oh hai, David Cage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Danganronpa V3 came out around the same time as Literature Club and it is the single best VN I've played but it doesn't mean poo poo if you're not at all invested in the series.

DRV3 might have my favorite thesis in any video game. Like it's not really deep at all but I love that a video game set out to say that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Contact ends with the main character attacking you, the player, because you were mind controlling him the entire time and you have to poke him to death on the touchscreen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

al-azad posted:

Oh yeah this one hella works. The ending is extremely brilliant in a lot of ways in terms of how it plays with the game mechanics and makes you interact them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bravely Second has a scene where the main characters speculate that some unseen entity is helping them and then when they show off who it is the 3DS uses its camera to display your face on the screen

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

DRV3 might have my favorite thesis in any video game. Like it's not really deep at all but I love that a video game set out to say that

And then the creator left! Chunsoft could reboot it or continue it but V3 is a proper video game goodbye in a medium dominated by franchises.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No Wave posted:

Tbh I think meta stuff in games beyond hotline miami's "do you like hurting people?" is mostly uninteresting... undertale's a great game but you get to ignore all the homestuck-tier psychopath crap, muffet's very straightforward and it's the best part of an excellent game.

I deffo agree, it's much riskier and harder to write stories that genuinely cause the viewer to become emotionally invested. Meta humor never does anything for me, most of the time it's just a lazy cop out for actually producing a story that can connect with people.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Bravely Second has a scene where the main characters speculate that some unseen entity is helping them and then when they show off who it is the 3DS uses its camera to display your face on the screen

lmao that's some time person of the year 2006 poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am easily pleased when it comes to video games so stuff like doki doki literature club are fine to me even though in that game's case I was only able to get through it due to knowing that it was more than what it was presenting itself to be because I just could not give a rat's rear end about a dating sim visual novel that isn't so bad it's funny or at least riffable in some way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

https://twitter.com/whirringblender/status/941043884645343234

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

This is basically every fuan no tane comic ever

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm horribly unphotogenic so I never have this problem.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know about unphotogenic but i'm deffo ugly as hell

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think in Bravely Second the final boss starts trying to delete your saves at one point

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

McDragon posted:

I think in Bravely Second the final boss starts trying to delete your saves at one point

No, that was me, your mean big brother.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tearaway on Vita makes you look at yourself a lot if anyone wants to play the ultimate horror game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

PantsBandit posted:

No, that was me, your mean big brother.

Save slot/memory card feuds were a real problem when I was a kid and was expected to share with my brother, like some kind of good person

I have a memory of coming home from school in the 5th grade, and walking into the house to find my younger brother standing in the middle of the room crying. My mom immediately says "you're not allowed to get mad" and then he told me that, during an effort to make a copy of my Link to the Past save where I had just made it to Ganon's Tower, he had deleted it accidentally. I did get mad so I was grounded from video games for like a week.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Colonel posted:

i beat mother 3

yeah it's my favorite mother game now

:yeah: glad you enjoyed it! I found it really refreshing as an RPG, especially since it's been a few years since I last played Earthbound. It took some chances to be a unique experience and they paid off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

Kane and Lynch 2 already did that!!!!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Relax Or DIE posted:

Save slot/memory card feuds were a real problem when I was a kid and was expected to share with my brother, like some kind of good person

I have a memory of coming home from school in the 5th grade, and walking into the house to find my younger brother standing in the middle of the room crying. My mom immediately says "you're not allowed to get mad" and then he told me that, during an effort to make a copy of my Link to the Past save where I had just made it to Ganon's Tower, he had deleted it accidentally. I did get mad so I was grounded from video games for like a week.

My sister deleted my pokemon yellow save in which I had a super high level pikachu. Upon having to start over I stuck that motherfucker in a box and never looked back.

I still don't like pikachu.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

doki doki literature club's big meta gimmick isn't exactly even unique among vns, though its popularity might've contributed to the existing example of the same gimmick getting translated into english

I mean I've played Irisu Syndrome and Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi, both games which tackle the same poo poo in similar ways (I'd argue that Kimi does it betterthan DDLC) but I really enjoyed the writing in DDLC enough to rank it as one of my favorites from last year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Kane and Lynch 2 already did that!!!!

Wes Craven's New Nightmare already did that!!!!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

PantsBandit posted:

My sister deleted my pokemon yellow save in which I had a super high level pikachu. Upon having to start over I stuck that motherfucker in a box and never looked back.

yeah i also had a neighborhood kid steal my gameboy/Pokemon red and erase my file. I was devastated by the death of my Blastoise

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

Wes Craven's New Nightmare already did that!!!!

Universal Soldier 6: Universal Soldier 4: Day of Reckoning already did that!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They should release the Danganronpas on mobile, there’s no way I’m playing a visual novel on my computer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Your younger brother did you favor, you can play ALttP again

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

They should release the Danganronpas on mobile, there’s no way I’m playing a visual novel on my computer.

It's time to buy a Vita

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

This is a very concerning image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just starting MGSV. Why... are there no actual sound options? There's two whole options: "custom soundtrack volume" (???) and "audio guidance" (???). Why is there not a sound effects, music, etc sliders because the sound effects are loving LOUD AS poo poo while the dialogue is WAY quieter. That's kind of ridiculous

• Locked thread