Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

I get great SoT in my favorite game, "Gaze into the abyss". You stare into a pitch black void and try to see meaning and beauty in human existence. It's pretty hard on the soul tbh, but it's super efficient battery-wise.

I wish we could have whole posts as thread titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Start of new page Quote will have to do.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Gobbeldygook posted:

NFC to make payments is near-pointless, but I actually would like to use a Yubikey NFC and can't without buying a new phone.

it's pretty handy on days where I forget to take my wallet to wherever I'm going but I don't use it under normal circumstances

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google has added a mail in repair service for Pixel devices to compliment ubreakifix.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/28/google-store-opens-repair-center-pixel-phones-us/

Looks like a screen repair on the 2xl is $20 more than ubreakifix, so it will be interesting to see if there's a reason to pay more for repairs.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The Android Thread: Trying to Force-Touching everything to no avail

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ola posted:

I get great SoT in my favorite game, "Gaze into the abyss". You stare into a pitch black void and try to see meaning and beauty in human existence. It's pretty hard on the soul tbh, but it's super efficient battery-wise.

When you gaze into the abyss, your reflection the abyss gazes into you?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My T-Mobile LG V20 finally got Oreo :toot:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This strip but with a steady stream of people asking about persistent notifications.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reddit.com/r/google/comments/9jtjww/i_think_i_bought_the_3rd_gen_chromecast_too_early/

quote:

I went to Best Buy earlier to pick up a Chromecast for my new TV, then I noticed the packaging and design was different from my first one. I thought it was just a design refresh taking queues from the Chromecast Ultra. Then when I was at the cashier, they couldn't scan the item because it wasn't in the system yet because the release date is on the 9th of October (Same day as the 2018 Google event) but I guess they put it out too early. But since I already had it in my hand and was the same price as the 2nd generation Chromecast, they let me have it under the old SKU.

Upon setting up at home and comparing it to my 2nd gen Chromecast, it seems a little thicker. The top is no longer glossy and the Chrome logo has been replaced with the G Google logo. Still micro-USB (sad right). They did remove the magnetic HDMI connector on the tip and base of the Chromecast which is a bummer.
Is there going to be a single thing revealed at the google event that we don't already know?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I kinda hope the fake leaks theory is correct because it's pretty underwhelming from a company that knows everything about me including when, where, how often and what I'm reading when I take a poo poo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Is there going to be a single thing revealed at the google event that we don't already know?

"But there's one more thing...the Ultraplex is now waking up and in a few seconds, you will all be mere tensors in the Great Learning. Die, feeble flesh-bits!"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just got the Pie OTA on my Nokia 7 Plus :) That's the first mid-range device to get updated, isn't it?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ola posted:

"But there's one more thing...the Ultraplex is now waking up and in a few seconds, you will all be mere tensors in the Great Learning. Die, feeble flesh-bits!"

Wasn't that essentially the big reveal in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

-Some app clutter, e.g. you can't uninstall the Huawei clock or calculator apps.

I ran Nova Launcher on my last Huawei and hid all the Huawei apps in the app drawer. Sure, they weren't deleted but at least they were out of sight.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Does disabling the app not hide it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Wasn't that essentially the big reveal in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Yeah. And The Matrix I guess. I suppose they had to purchase the copyright to the galactic brain computer first, which they could probably well afford.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gobbeldygook posted:

NFC to make payments is near-pointless, but I actually would like to use a Yubikey NFC and can't without buying a new phone.

NFC is actually super cool now that places I actually shop at have been putting in the *Pay POS terminals. It feels great to quickly pay for something and know my debit card won't get skimmed. And once my Yubikey 5s come in, I'm gonna mess around with replacing my KeepAss key file with them.

I don't care about wireless charging and am more than willing to compromise on cameras, but NFC and fingerprint readers have spoiled me too much to ever bear to go without again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

G-Spot Run posted:

I kinda hope the fake leaks theory is correct because it's pretty underwhelming from a company that knows everything about me including when, where, how often and what I'm reading when I take a poo poo.

It's consistent with Google's history as a search company; people are searching for info on Google products, and it's being delivered. :ironicat:

Just... maybe not the way they were expecting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My wife desperately needs a new phone, since the one she picked up at the MetroPCS store is hot garbage. She wants to go back to Motorola since she loved her G4 so much. What’s the best option right now for mid priced? Preferably $300 or less. It seems like the G6 plus doesn’t work with US carriers, so it’s probably the G6 or X4? It seems like with the phone being a year old, the X4 running on Android One wouldn’t be a big thing since the G6 will probably be updated about as long.

She wants a good camera and good battery life, even though she’ll still probably complain about how often you have to charge it, just like every other smartphone.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

This is where you're completely wrong. I had my house catch on fire, and didn't have a chance to find & grab my wallet. I sure as gently caress did get my phone to call the Fire Dept and Ambulance though, and the following 2-3 weeks waiting for replacement cards would have been impossible to get through without the NFC on my phone to buy stuff with (because hey, absolutely no documentation as to my identity left).

It does depend on your market and the availability of NFC payments - it's pretty much useless in India, but in Australia literally everywhere has got it, so its much more useful.

You might not need it every day, but if you do need it then its a lifesaver. It's also why instead of going with the Poco or the latest and greatest, I bought myself a Nokia 7 Plus as a replacement phone instead, and why I'll never be getting a phone without NFC again.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So, yesterday I was sitting at home and a notification pops up on my phone to authorize a password reset. It's the first time I've seen that, and it had almost certainly been triggered by one of the people who have routinely assumed that they owned my GMail account over the past decade and a half. I looked at it, and hit "No."

But it looked so much like the standard "Use Phone As Two-Factor Authentication" popup, that if I hadn't been paying attention, and/or /had/ been in a situation where I might have been using it to sign into my GMail account at the time, I'd likely have wound up turning over one of my most important email accounts to some person on the other side of the planet.

That's pretty terrifying.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any way to reduce the minimum playback volume on an Android. The lowest notch above completely muted is too loud, listening to podcasts before bed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Depending on the phone model slightly, you can press and hold the volume indicator on the bar and adjust it more finely than the volume buttons.
If your podcast app has an equaliser you can also turn the volume down that way.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I’m picking up the 4gb RAM / 64GB storage Moto G6. Is it actually appreciably faster than the 3GB RAM version?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

3Gb of RAM is enough that no one app will ever be any slower.
If you have a habit of swapping between a few heavier apps it'll be quicker with more RAM as it won't be unloading them as much.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I’m picking up the 4gb RAM / 64GB storage Moto G6. Is it actually appreciably faster than the 3GB RAM version?

Are you in the U.S.? If not, there are much better options available in the price range.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yes, I am in the US. My wife wants another Motorola because she loved her G4. I’d get a G6+, but that doesn’t seem to work with any US carriers as far as I can tell.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

For the same price, you could get the Motorola X4 which has better hardware + NFC despite being older than the G6.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have the g6 and the camera is dog poo poo. X4 is probably the same

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife desperately needs a new phone, since the one she picked up at the MetroPCS store is hot garbage. She wants to go back to Motorola since she loved her G4 so much. What’s the best option right now for mid priced? Preferably $300 or less. It seems like the G6 plus doesn’t work with US carriers, so it’s probably the G6 or X4? It seems like with the phone being a year old, the X4 running on Android One wouldn’t be a big thing since the G6 will probably be updated about as long.

She wants a good camera and good battery life, even though she’ll still probably complain about how often you have to charge it, just like every other smartphone.

See if you can convince her to get a Nokia 6.1. It's $40 off at B&H, has the same specs as the X4, and may or may not have a better camera.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1404213-REG/nokia_11pl2b11a07_6_1_2018_32gb_smartphone.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

halokiller posted:

For the same price, you could get the Motorola X4 which has better hardware + NFC despite being older than the G6.

What about the update support? As far as I know Lenovo is garbage about that.

Looks like I could get it through Google Fi for $299, but I assume I would need to pay something to initiate service?

Outside of Google, it looks like the Android One edition would be $350.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I could swear that Google auto enabled night light on my phone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What about the update support? As far as I know Lenovo is garbage about that.

Looks like I could get it through Google Fi for $299, but I assume I would need to pay something to initiate service?

Outside of Google, it looks like the Android One edition would be $350.

I would get the Nokia 6.1

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She’s determined to get a Motorola :(. That was my first suggestion too.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:rip:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tell her it's a Lenovo

-posted from my G5+

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If she's going to get a chinese spyphone might as well go OnePlus, at least they get updates

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

If she's going to get a chinese spyphone might as well go OnePlus, at least they get updates

And we get funny follow-up posts!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has Motorola been caught putting spyware on there? I know other companies have. That might sway her so I can convince her to get the Nokia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just get her what she wants, it's a $200 throwaway phone, who cares?