Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shifty Pony posted:

even if most don't care, there is definitely a market there and it is quite large just due to scale. if even like 10% of US Facebook users would be willing to spend $10 a month that's $2.6 billion. that's probably a low estimate of the number willing to pay - Spotify has 46% of its user base paying and amazon has 63% on Prime. in any other industry there would be movement to fill that demand, but there is essentially zero movement to serve that market in tech because it is entirely dominated by a few monopolies.

yeah but there are no good free alternatives for prime or even spotify. most people wont pay. there have been a few attempts to replace twitter with paid platforms (app.net) when people get mad about the third party app api or whatever and none of them have gone anywhere

i like the idea of a public internet search engine. you could justify it as an extension of public libraries. hell you could probably finance it with dod money just think of the soft power you would get abroad by subtly manipulating search results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pham Nuwen posted:

i've read this several times since it first showed up and it's good, the whole talk is good
lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

syscall girl posted:

because of a thinking error i did a lot of g+ and now my calendar has goon bdays like every day of the year but with their actual and not user names

aka totally worthless information, can't even buy a forums upgrade for... Chris Manghane

Chris if you're reading this pm me for free archives

its me im your friend chris mangoon thanks for the archives in advance

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

quote:

I apologize for such a long letter - I didn't have time to write a short one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Media Bloodbath posted:

that's about right. publishers often get cents on the dollar of the adspend. If anyone is interested I can try to whip up an effort post but the topic brings me back to an unpleasant part of my working life.

id totally be interested in reading an effortpost but im sure most of the people here know it already and youd only be doing it for me and others who arent in tech at all and are merely curious

poty posted:

i like the idea of a public internet search engine. you could justify it as an extension of public libraries. hell you could probably finance it with dod money just think of the soft power you would get abroad by subtly manipulating search results

even better would be the ability to use it for mass surveillance since thats what its already designed to do then it could be used for disappearing political dissidents

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

its me im your friend chris mangoon thanks for the archives in advance

cool Chris! If you could just post teh dick pic to verify it's yours

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

LastInLine posted:

me and others who arent in tech at all and are merely curious

i dunno you do you and all but maybe the fact that everyone here who's actually capable of understanding what these machines are capable of, have directly worked with these systems, and personally know the morally blank people who control them, is doing everything in their power to give as little information away as possible should be a teensy weeny hint that something is up. just me though. you do you

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

poty posted:

why just socialize the cost of such a system when you can also privatize the profits?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

LastInLine posted:

i was actually thinking about what you were saying yesterday and i did think of an example i came across of ads that ive seen normal people detest and thats youtube ads. there is a way to pay to opt out of those and its my understanding that its not that popular. ofc idk if google actually advertises the fact that you can pay to get around it like if they tell you before during or after youtube ads that "if you just gave us money..." but knowing google they dont because that would be smart
The no-ad service is part of YouTube Premium and that's also how you get various youtube originals content. They def advertise it (or indirectly, via advertising the shows)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmfao paying for youtube content

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Gynocentric Regime posted:

AFAICT, I don't see open Nazi content anymore.

they might have just blocked some keywords, doesn't necessarily mean that they have stopped hosting nazi videos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
YouTube is a machine for self-radicalizing vulnerable people. its genius is that it’s not based on ideology, it is a best fit algorithm designed to channel individuals down the path to which they are most susceptible.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Management posted:

YouTube is a machine for self-radicalizing vulnerable people. its genius is that it’s not based on ideology, it is a best fit algorithm designed to channel individuals down the path to which they are most susceptible.

you need to buy yourself a diff avatar

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The Management posted:

The algorithm apparently wants to radicalize me through brodudes setting poo poo on fire in their parents' backyard and calling it "science".

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mrmcd posted:

The algorithm apparently wants to radicalize me through brodudes setting poo poo on fire in their parents' backyard and calling it "science".

what you don’t know is that’s how they train isis terrorists you’re already well on your way to being radicalized

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The Management posted:

i can’t help but hear this in zizek’s voice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they finally got rid of the "revert to classic gmail" button in settings

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hmm, still there for me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if i go into the site on my phone and switch to desktop it switches to the older version with the default blue links and white ui while the older version link switches to what looks like the old cell phone browser version

wtf google lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh cool so soon my email will be stuck in ultra chunky font mode forever.

i admit that 1920x1080 is not a very good resolution but it's needs-suiting enough for my personal desktop, except gmail's redesign is so fat in every way as to be unusable in my typical setup (firefox window half the width of the screen)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pure html version of gmail still reigns

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
new chrome is loving me up with everything being rounded

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

i dunno you do you and all but maybe the fact that everyone here who's actually capable of understanding what these machines are capable of, have directly worked with these systems, and personally know the morally blank people who control them, is doing everything in their power to give as little information away as possible should be a teensy weeny hint that something is up. just me though. you do you

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

actually i look at it in exactly the opposite manner. just as id distrust a politician to tell me the best governmental policies to pursue ive found that those involved in computers are the least reliable source of advice for using them

knowing how the system works and lack of morality behind it combined with technical knowledge just means those people are willing to work with elaborate and often anachronistic systems for marginal benefit. whether its worth that effort is primarily determined by the animosity toward the industry which is why their advice falls on deaf ears when given to a layperson

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

omfg does Chrome seriously strip out the [url]http://[/url] when you copy a URL now

holy gently caress you guys what could you possibly think this is accomplishing

How is this anything but a purely user-hostile decision

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

omfg does Chrome seriously strip out the [url]http://[/url] when you copy a URL now

works for me on bbc.com, idk

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/google-wants-to-kill-the-url/

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

these av changes are loving me up

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Visit us online, AOL keyword Google Chromephrase 'pets'!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google wants you to search for everything. if you knew the url you wouldn’t need google

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ArmZ posted:

these av changes are loving me up

yeah seriously. kyonko = fishmech is far too embedded in my brain

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i predict that they're going to start displaying a 'verified name' or something similar in the location bar, so you don't see forums.somethingawful.com, you see 'Something Awful Forums' and a green checkmark. to keep the lists of verified names up to date, every time you hit a page it'll send the whole url to google servers to check.

getting the verified site name requires you to register with them in some fashion. if you don't register it will show the domain and a poop emoji instead of a checkmark.

they will claim this is to protect against deceptive unicode domain names or whatever.

edit: they're already headed toward this by displaying the ssl cert's organization name when you go to some sites

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah seriously. kyonko = fishmech is far too embedded in my brain

he knows the character's name?!?? get him!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

afaict the opposite is happening

if i copy the url bar it doesnt show the https but on paste it does (at least for this thread)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google remerging webkit/safari changes back into blink i see

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

http://google.sucks/ :hehe:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, it's like a 21st century micro$oft

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

scroogled again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft crippled a generation of computing by owning the pc market with no competition, blocking both hardware and software innovation.

google crippled a generation of mobile computing by making android free so it’s the only option for anyone making any type of device.

• Locked thread