Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ok this TB picture is pretty cool though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

No Wave posted:

Another new board from thronebreaker:

this is gonna be so bad.
I dunno. If you assume all the shadows to be animated (like the shadows of an army marching across the board while you play) I think that would manage to generate some atmosphere for a single player story driven card game... which takes some creativity.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 28, 2018

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdY-dU24oU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

If you watch that video it doesn't look nearly as dark as that screenshot, so I don't know what's up.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.pcgamer.com/thronebreaker-is-a-true-witcher-rpg-and-a-surprisingly-sharp-card-puzzler/

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The boards do look better in the video and in motion. They're filled with shadow, lighting, particle, and fog effects, it's also clear that some boards are suppose to have a more *spooky* atmosphere or being set at night. The card art is quite clear and with just two rows the cards seem to be bigger so they easy to identity. Still the card borders need to retouched to distinguish them better.

Thronebreaker looks nice too.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The op doesn't talk about purchases in this game. Are there any good or bad buys if you want to spend money?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

No Wave posted:

Another new board from thronebreaker:

this is gonna be so bad.

This looks extra dark I doubt it will be that way. Even the cards are way darker then currently think Gamma just hosed on these photos.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

The op doesn't talk about purchases in this game. Are there any good or bad buys if you want to spend money?

The starter pack is a great buy. After that the FTP is so absurdly generous you never need to spend another penny. If you want to throw them $20 for 15 kegs when they have special keg events every once in a while feel free, though.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
They’re saving me from myself not offering the shards. I only play at all for the arena

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Really wish they had some sort of disconnect protection on arena. Was doing alright but down to my last left on the last match of 9, off to a good start, then a get a connection lost and forfeit. I only ever play with ore but if I'd been dumb enough to pay the $2 or whatever I'd be raging.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I've been playing Gwent on a lovely laptop and I'm pretty sure that if these new boards are coming to the HC release too, I'm probably not going to be able to run it anymore with all the dynamic lighting and particle effects lol.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Open PTR this weekend! Try out the new Gwent.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/open-ptr

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I can’t believe they finally implemented a coin flip balance solution. I have no idea why they refused to do that for so long for a game in beta.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it is also the most obvious possible solution and there was zero reason not to implement it a year ago.

I'm pretty sure the game is dead though. Will download to confirm tonight. Not sure if there's any way to archive old gwent on my computer.

Oh yeah nobody's mentioned open PTR happened by surprise today, you can download it and play it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Initial homecoming impressions: seems like too little too late. It's a less fundamentally flawed game but a more boring one. Unless the hail mary from thronebreaker, which actually looks pretty good, drives a lot of interest I don't see it taking off

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Initial impression of homecoming PTR is that all the cards are really boring now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I keep loving up row restricted abilities, because I'm an idiot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

to be fair a better thought out game would have synergistic rows glow or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok I played some deathwish (which seems strongish). The card design is actually ok but the UI is horrendous. Completely tilting to play.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They've said the UI is still up for adjustments. There's a lot of little annoying poo poo, like the camera zooming around when turns are ended.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There are a lot of issues.

1.) Some of the boards (almost all of the boards) are way too dark. Especially the monsters board.
2.) The camera should not move at all and should not be tilted at all.
3.) Your own cards need to be more visible.
4.) Cards need to be more responsive when you click and move them. Movement isn't enough, they need to light up and stuff, this is all just "minor UI stuff".
5.) The leader movements are so subtle in between turns that they might as well not happen. It's really weird and just makes the game feel like nothing is happening, just a series of cards and a feeling of confusion when the game ends. There needs to be a clearer separation between turns, orders, cards played, etc etc. It feels like nothing is happening. Leader effects in general are waaaaaay too subtle, they need to light up when they do things and be more cartoonish and less realistic. It should feel good to do orders but it feels like nothing and is confusing.
6.) Victory screens pop out of nowhere.
7.) Between round mulligans need to not be broken (they're broken, right)? Actually we'll just put "all bugs" in this category.

1 2 and 3 I don't expect to change ever. 5 is really critical for everyone and would be a huge win. 2 is almost a dealbreaker for me personally but other people might be less autistic about it.

In terms of card balance witchers are busted put them in every deck, roach is also too strong. Playing the game just feels like goop, 5 is really important. The coin sound and coin flipping is such a great part of live gwent, no idea why they got rid of it it's awesome.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 6, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I'm not really feeling this new version. It feels like most of the interesting effects / synergies are gone and it seems like every game so far devolves into who has the strongest round 3 hand. A lot of the strategy that made the game unique seems to have been canned so they could make things more balanced but less interesting. Maybe it will be different when they've made the last minute changes and the meta shakes out a bit, but so far I'm not really impressed.

Sucks that I'm running out of CCG options. I'm completely burned out on Hearthstone for the forseeable future, TES:L just blew itself up and lost most of its playerbase, MTG:A is solid but the games take fuckin forever, Shadowverse's aesthetic is too cringey for me, and I doubt I have the disposable income to make a real go of Artifact when it comes out. Still have Eternal, at least.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i had the most fun playing this game pre-midwinter patch

after playing the homecoming open ptr, i think i'm officially done with this game

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

General Morden posted:

i had the most fun playing this game pre-midwinter patch

after playing the homecoming open ptr, i think i'm officially done with this game

:emptyquote:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

loving hell I don't like this UI. Having your cards mostly hidden on your opponents turn is annoying as gently caress even though you can mouse over them to see the entire card. It's also a shame that instead of seeing a large portrait of a card on the right upon mouseover you have to right click and cover the entire playing field to see the large version. Gwent has gorgeous cards. The card mechanics seem really boring now. Pretty much all the iconic game changing cards have fairly minor effects now. I'm sure I'll check in every couple of months to see how things are going but I'm not feeling great about it now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I haven't played in months and will probably skip this new gwent, looks bad and I'm having a lot of fun with Arena.

RIP Gwent, you were a crappy mini game, then a fun and original CCG then a lovely grimdark bundle of mistakes.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well darn, I was hopeful for this update but it doesn't sound like a lot of people like it... maybe I'll have to go pick up Eternal. Guess I'll have to wait some more and see.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Eternal whips rear end

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

No Wave posted:

7.) Between round mulligans need to not be broken (they're broken, right)?

They aren't broken, they're just different and it wasn't communicated well.

Your mulligans don't reset between rounds. So if your leader has two mulligans and you use them both in round one you'll have none left for the second and third round.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'll give this a while now but Artifact in less than two months has sapped pretty much all the excitement I had to jump back into this...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i am 100% just gonna give artifact the Hearthstone treatment, in that watching good players play it after dropping thousands on dollars to have every card, will probably be more entertaining than any enjoyment I get out of it at cost.

after getting burned on Gwent and Netrunner dying, I feel real loving betrayed. at least Slay the Spire is really, really loving good.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I would be really curious to have been in the CDPR meetings where they decided a complete reboot was even needed, graphically or gameplay. Feels like they could’ve reverted the unpopular midwinter patch changes, change some cards, add a coin flip solution and continue on. I have to imagine there was serous thought and discussion as to why they needed to go this route and I’d be curious to hear it.

Feedback: I’m surprisingly okay with the boards but will always hate the 3D leader models. Makes the game look cheap. One of Gwents biggest strength is top tier card art, I don’t know why a game full of cards and card art would have leaders be 3D instead of a card portrait. Feels like something a mobile game would do to appeal to children or something.

The gameplay is so different it’s hard for me to even decide what I think of it yet. The hand size limit meaning you can’t pass for 5 turns is definitely wrong though. Removes strategic depth of early round 1 tempo plays for as far as I see it no increases depth or strategy in return.

Still anticipating the single player content at least...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I just downloaded Gwent for the first time and this tutorial has three rows on each side with the old UI? What's going on, I thought this would have the new stuff I saw in preview articles.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I watched a bit of the stream they did showing new cards and stuff and the card art is still outstanding, what a shame that they broke the game.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cicero posted:

I just downloaded Gwent for the first time and this tutorial has three rows on each side with the old UI? What's going on, I thought this would have the new stuff I saw in preview articles.

You have to download the PTR client.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

rydiafan posted:

You have to download the PTR client.

Right, and then I went into GOG and it had me download the regular Gwent client. It even says "public beta" in the interface so I was real confused. But yeah I eventually figured it out, thanks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://gwent.seven7y.com/hc.php?faction=Neutral

PTR card database.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

New gwent is pretty fun. I admit I blindly stumbled upon the most op archetypes immediately (monster deathwish and bearmaster skellige). It takes five games to get used to the UI and the end of games still feels really bad but the 10/3/3 draws seem to work well. Provisions is neat but it's hard to say if it will really increase the variety of different cards that are used. Right now the balance is rough enough that it's fairly obvious which cards you want given the archetype you want to build.

Balance-wise it's a big mess but it contains a lot of cards that are fun to play with. If you have a big collection give it a shot when it launches, if we're lucky the ui will be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Looking through the card set, I'm certainly going to give it a shot on launch, hopefully, there are some improvements to UI and everyone hasn't already uninstalled from whatever the best deck on PTR is :v: