Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

Got any funny panels ABOUT food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
God, I love Molecule Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doom would've won at the end of Secret Wars if he'd remembered to bring Molecule Man the occasional doggy bag.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Was there any meta significance to that? E.g. molecule man integrating matter from another universe? Or was it just a funny bit

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Owen kept asking doom for food but Victor never gave him any. Dude just hungry

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Scaramouche posted:

Was there any meta significance to that? E.g. molecule man integrating matter from another universe? Or was it just a funny bit

It was to show that you could have infinite, world-spanning power and wield it like a shitburger, and all it takes is for some kid from the block to show a little kindness to topple your regime.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

I would love to know that the Fimbulvinter pie is; I'm imagining a Norse version of a Baked Alaska.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Narrative Man knows that's how the story should work.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

It was to show that you could have infinite, world-spanning power and wield it like a shitburger, and all it takes is for some kid from the block to show a little kindness to topple your regime.

Miles should really have given him a Hostess Fruit Pie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

I know this is stupid but it kills me having to pretend that Miles actually has 1. a pocket 2. that would fit a hamburger. Somehow that is less realistic than spider powers and molecule men. I mean hey, he wears backpacks! Just have him pull a hamburger out of a backpack!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Scaramouche posted:

It's the reason Miles got shunted into Earth-616 after Secret Wars.

Because Owen was always hungry and Miles is the only one who ever brought him food, so Owen did him a solid.

I'm not joking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was supposed to be significant because everything Doom created was somehow "fake" and just a replication from Doom's mind and didn't provide sustenance to Reece, but Miles' pocketburger was from a "real" earth and so it worked for him

At least that's how I read it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's the reason Miles got shunted into Earth-616 after Secret Wars.

Because Owen was always hungry and Miles is the only one who ever brought him food, so Owen did him a solid.

I'm not joking.

He also brought back his dead Mom :unsmith:

As an epilogue to Secret Wars and after the years of following Miles, these two pages really got to me in a good way. Going back to the conversation, seeing the font change, and having Spidey ask about his mom was pretty loving awesome as both the end and start of a journey for Miles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a goddamn shame that Hickman never got on a regular Spidey book because every time he did anything with him it was great. See also the issue post Johnny's death where Peter is consoling Franklin.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e - continuing a derail, nevermind.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 29, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Green Lanterns Annual

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The funniest thing about that scene is the GL with short sleeves

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The funniest thing about that scene is the GL with short sleeves

How can you forget Simon Baz, the most popular and well received Green Lantern.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
He's a member of the Islamic faith and he uses two pistols that AREN'T constructs! Super popular when he came out, all the fans loved him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Islamophobes and people who hate seeing minorities portrayed as violent gangsters came together to embrace this character.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

His first issue starts with 9/11. It's great. Oh and he gets accused of terrorism and gets sent to Guantanamo. Johns was firing on all cylinders when he wrote his story.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 30, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The funniest thing about that issue is that despite opening with 9/11, featuring racial and religious discrimination, murder, torture, illegal detainment and terrorism, imbeciles on the right who have no vocabulary to criticize media called it "too politically correct".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Baz has actually been written pretty well and I'd encourage anybody put off by his initial appearance and/or Johns-penned stories to read Green Lanterns.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Isn't Baz like the fifth or sixth human Green Lantern? How are there so many of them running around at the same time? I thought the whole conceit of the lanterns was there was like 1 per 'sector' of space and sectors were gently caress-off huge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Isn't Baz like the fifth or sixth human Green Lantern? How are there so many of them running around at the same time? I thought the whole conceit of the lanterns was there was like 1 per 'sector' of space and sectors were gently caress-off huge.

Basically they keep getting replacements and then the Guardians are too embarrassed to fire one when Hal comes back so they keep them on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zore posted:

They die a lot but they also come back and I guess no one in the Corps predicted this loophole

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

He's the fifth. His partner and former Power Ring (the Earth-3 evil GL, not the weapon), Jessica Cruz, is the sixth.

And to explain all the humans, it's a bunch of technicalities. Hal Jordan is the first, Guy Gardner is the backup that the ring picked when Hal was unavailable. John Stewart is the backup backup. He gets the ring when Hal's out and Guy's in a coma. Kyle Rayner gets the last ring when Hal kills all the other lanterns and keeps it when they all come back. Baz gets Hal's/Sinestro's ring (it was Sinestro's but he created another one and deputized Hal because I guess that's just a thing that can happen), then when they both get sucked into another dimension called the Dead Zone they give conflicting orders (the exact wording of which I forget) to the ring so it kinda finds Baz through a glitch. They give him a real one after the current crisis in the universe for acting in heroism. Jessica was actually possessed by an evil otherworldly Power Ring that targeted her for being a coward (she's a traumatized agoraphobe) but Hal tutors her into overcoming the evil ring's power. Then during yet another crisis the ring goes nuts again but Jess (with a little help from Cyborg) overcomes the ring's programming and it shatters, then she gets a real GL ring shortly afterward.

Also at some point the Guardians or someone decided that space sectors are too drat big for one lantern so they expanded it to 2 per sector.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is it ever explained why Earth has so many Green Lanterns?

Lurdiak posted:

How can you forget Simon Baz, the most popular and well received Green Lantern.

John Dyne posted:

He's a member of the Islamic faith and he uses two pistols that AREN'T constructs! Super popular when he came out, all the fans loved him.

Lurdiak posted:

Islamophobes and people who hate seeing minorities portrayed as violent gangsters came together to embrace this character.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

His first issue starts with 9/11. It's great. Oh and he gets accused of terrorism and gets sent to Guantanamo. Johns was firing on all cylinders when he wrote his story.

Lurdiak posted:

The funniest thing about that issue is that despite opening with 9/11, featuring racial and religious discrimination, murder, torture, illegal detainment and terrorism, imbeciles on the right who have no vocabulary to criticize media called it "too politically correct".

Is that legit how he was introduced? Yikes.
Sounds like they went full Shadow The Hedgehog route. He's darker, edgier, AND HE HAS GUNS! The kids will love him!

I'm not much of a DC reader, so all I know about the guy is that he's the latest GL and Batman wants to work with him?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There's an arc where Batman straight up tells him to stop using a gun and calls him a coward, and he gives up the gun.

Like two arcs later he loses his ring and boy egg on his face huh

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Did anyone, at some point, mention that he was wielding the most powerful weapon in the universe - Terms & Conditions May Apply - and having a gun along with it was very silly?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Samuringa posted:

Did anyone, at some point, mention that he was wielding the most powerful weapon in the universe - Terms & Conditions May Apply - and having a gun along with it was very silly?

Sometimes the old ways are best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

It's like the first conversation he has once he meets other green lanterns. Basically his ring is jank when he gets it, so he doesn't consider it reliable. And after things get sorted, he points out the number of times the rings just stop working for bullshit reasons and leave the wielder stranded or defenseless.

The mask never made sense because everyone knows his identity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

His logic was "My ring can run out of power and I'd like to have backup."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

His logic was "My ring can run out of power and I'd like to have backup."

To be fair this was immediately after he barely survived a situation in which his ring did run out of power.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Do the rings have planned obsolescence built in by the Guardians so around the time new rings are being released the old ones can barely keep a charge?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Do the rings have planned obsolescence built in by the Guardians so around the time new rings are being released the old ones can barely keep a charge?

Surprisingly that's not one of the many ways in which the Guardians are assholes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also they keep getting evil beings stuck in their rings for some reason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

(it was Sinestro's but he created another one and deputized Hal because I guess that's just a thing that can happen)

This is something that goes back a long way:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
El oh el at Batman calling anyone a coward.

Anyone that Batman doesn't like, must be doing something right.