Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The one thing to watch out for is that minimum damage can be surprisingly high when you count in all the static bonuses.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, especially since a major complaint about 4e is how long fights take, but it can p easily wind up in a situation where misses do 20 damage and a hit does 23, which I can imagine being a problem for a lot of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Maybe have misses deal Character Level damage?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Wait, I take twin strike

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's a bad idea

like the whole premise is based on the concept that decreasing a number by a certain amount and losing the rest of your action is intrinsically more interesting than just losing your action, which is silly

you have extra stuff happen on a failed roll in a narrative / skill check context because otherwise the game grinds to a halt. in combat, there is no risk of this happening.

the consequence of missing is that an enemy that would otherwise be dead or disabled gets to do a thing before you do, and gets to do more things in total before being removed from play.

e: now to be fair it could be a good idea if done for completely different reasons, like making combat faster, attacks more reliable, and the whole situation more deterministic and skillful

but if you want to do it for those reasons you really have to consider the math and the consequences almost on a case-by-case basis and that's a lot of work

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 29, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Minimum as-written damage. So minimum diceroll damage+ attribute modifier, no other modifiers apply.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: now to be fair it could be a good idea if done for completely different reasons, like making combat faster, attacks more reliable, and the whole situation more deterministic and skillful

but if you want to do it for those reasons you really have to consider the math and the consequences almost on a case-by-case basis and that's a lot of work

I mean, the dislike stems from boredom intrinsic in waiting for your turn, then having nothing happen on it before having to wait again. So it's both about speed ofcombat and also not feeling like your time is wasted at that point.
I get what you mean about a lot more work though. Just trying to find a way to make misses less poo poo and having people switch off on a run of bad luck

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiteski posted:

I mean, the dislike stems from boredom intrinsic in waiting for your turn, then having nothing happen on it before having to wait again. So it's both about speed ofcombat and also not feeling like your time is wasted at that point.
I get what you mean about a lot more work though. Just trying to find a way to make misses less poo poo and having people switch off on a run of bad luck

Stealing miss tokens from Strike! might be a less drastic alternative. It provides insurance against the worst-case scenario where you miss over and over against the odds and never get to do anything, without completely upending the combat math. Plus even if a miss token isn't incredibly impactful by itself getting a physical benny when it happens at least offsets the psychological side of things a little.

I mean I'm being a little harsh here when, in all honestly, "4E with to-hit rolls eliminated or dramatically de-emphasized" sounds like my dream game. It's just that you're talking about a radically different game at that point.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 29, 2018

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Could implement a version of the Miss Token: when you miss, gain a token that you can spend later to either convert a miss to a hit or a hit to a crit.

e: beaten

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
That there's not a character in Strike book explaining the rules named Miss Tokens is such a tragic loss

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Would miss-tokens or the escalation die be a preferred mechanic for long-term miss reduction?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean I'm being a little harsh here when, in all honestly, "4E with to-hit rolls eliminated or dramatically de-emphasized" sounds like my dream game. It's just that you're talking about a radically different game at that point.

yo have you played gloomhaven

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My quick takes:

Miss damage is a good idea, but minimum damage strikes me as way too high. Something like attribute modifier damage sounds like it would work, or damage equal to your enhancement bonus. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of abilities trigger off of dealing or taking damage - if you're guaranteed to always deal damage you can use these essentially at will, and they might be more useful than you bargained for.

Miss tokens I like better, but only so they give you a bonus to future rolls. "Turn a miss into a hit" (or "hit into crit") is, frankly, completely out of line with 4E's design. One miss token could turn your default ~50% hit chance into a ~50% crit chance, and every halfway optimized game plan would start with "use at-wills to fish for miss tokens, then use them on dailies." Serious optimizers will deliberately attack enemies under total concealment ("I close my eyes as a free action") or find ways to gain at-wills based on their dump stat.

Escalation die - no issue there, it plugs into the system nice and easy.

You could also just apply a modifier to attack rolls across the board. By default attacks hit roughly 50% of the time, give everyone (including enemies) a +5 to turn that into 75% and see where it takes you. (For easier calculations/lower numbers, subtract 5 from defenses instead.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Impermanent posted:

God yes Gloomhaven scratches the 4e combat itch for me SO GOOD.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Gloomhaven is loving great, and my rpg group is now doing it every other week.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Miss tokens I like better, but only so they give you a bonus to future rolls. "Turn a miss into a hit" (or "hit into crit") is, frankly, completely out of line with 4E's design. One miss token could turn your default ~50% hit chance into a ~50% crit chance, and every halfway optimized game plan would start with "use at-wills to fish for miss tokens, then use them on dailies." Serious optimizers will deliberately attack enemies under total concealment ("I close my eyes as a free action") or find ways to gain at-wills based on their dump stat.

If the group is missing often enough for it to be a complaint, I doubt charop is an issue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Impermanent posted:

I haven't had an in-person group for tabletop in a very long time, unfortunately. Believe me, it's on my list.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I picked up a 100 count set of poker chips, five different colors. The intention is to write +/- bonuses and penalties on them, to hand out when powers and effects grant them. This is to make it easier for newer players to keep track of all their bonuses. I'm not quite sure what to label though; most likely a +/- 1 and +/- 2, leaving a fifth color for something. Most of the bonuses I've seen have been those two numbers, and with 20 of them that should be plenty to cover things like +4.

Any suggestions for the fifth set, or any other changes? I could also do the +/- on opposite sides of the same color if there was something better to use on the now extra chips. That could lead to issues with running out of something though, if a big buff goes out.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Physical Action points are something I readily suggest.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
We've 3D printed action points, miss tokens and strike tokens for our Strike game. I could certainly see doing something similar for fighter marking, hunters mark and the like if I was to run 4e again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have a ton of X-Wing Miniatures target lock tokens leftover; those may work well for marking as well

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

How do I explain reskinning to someone who really cares about the details of a monster, and how it's okay to just use a monster block. Like, I guess if you wanted to use an adult black dragon, how do you explain away dragon breath?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Yukari posted:

How do I explain reskinning to someone who really cares about the details of a monster, and how it's okay to just use a monster block. Like, I guess if you wanted to use an adult black dragon, how do you explain away dragon breath?

You cross out the words ;'dragon breath' and replace them with 'acid cloud spell' or 'gas grenade' or ...whatever.

In short, fi you're DMing and you reskin a monster, the players should never know you did it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

You cross out the words ;'dragon breath' and replace them with 'acid cloud spell' or 'gas grenade' or ...whatever.

In short, fi you're DMing and you reskin a monster, the players should never know you did it.

This.

Black dragon breath is just an acid damage close blast. That can be a lot of things.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I turned a red dragon into a giant firestorm elemental.

The stats worked perfectly. Just had to rename some stuff.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Reskin the dragon breath to a flamethrower, the flight to a jetpack, the wing buffet to a repulsor field, and you're set for your gonzospace bounty hunter fight in your ultima 1-style game, which for some reason you've also decided to run in 4e.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ysengrin posted:

Reskin the dragon breath to a flamethrower, the flight to a jetpack, the wing buffet to a repulsor field, and you're set for your gonzospace bounty hunter fight in your ultima 1-style game, which for some reason you've also decided to run in 4e.

You laugh, but the game I'm running has an extinct culture that was high tech rather than magic, so I have turned a couple 'big monsters' into robots and prepared some tech items like a holography system (hat of disguise) for players to pick up from their ruins.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Prism posted:

You laugh, but the game I'm running has an extinct culture that was high tech rather than magic, so I have turned a couple 'big monsters' into robots and prepared some tech items like a holography system (hat of disguise) for players to pick up from their ruins.

May I introduce you to the living construct subtype?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like there's no actual reason why your players would ever know what your monster started off as. Unless they're staring over your shoulder as you plan stuff, how would they ever know the crazed alchemist used to statistically be a dragon? If they want mechanical details, give them the mechanical details. If they want fluff details, give them fluff details. Those don't have to be the same thing.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I know a lot about 4e, but when a DM pulled out a psychotic Goblin on a wagon that burst into flames if we dazed it, I was absolutely clueless as to what it originally was

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've also gone the other way, reskinned other solos as dragons for multi-phase fights.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

The issue is that the abilities don't make sense for her, the DM. Like how does a huge thug do a 60ft cone of acid? Crazy alchemical grenade, and he's like Jekyll?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yukari posted:

The issue is that the abilities don't make sense for her, the DM. Like how does a huge thug do a 60ft cone of acid? Crazy alchemical grenade, and he's like Jekyll?

Yes? If the abilities are something you totally can't make work for that specific reskin, just don't reskin that specific monster, or reskin it to something different.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Yukari posted:

Drop the acid part and make it a flurry of chucking like a billion knives.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

He has a pressure washer hose attached to his back, filled with alchemists fire/acid/whatever the frost equivalent is. His 60' cone of acid attack is him spraying the party down with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All of that, and more. But also: maybe don't reskin a dragon to a thug. You absolutely can, but dragons are so iconic and their abilities so specific that you should probably only reskin them to similarly unique enemies in the context of your game.

I think the frost equivalent to Alchemist's stuff is literally Alchemist's Frost, too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yukari posted:

He takes a draught of dragonbreath from a double-reinforced flask with about five skulls on it and BLAAAAAAAAARGH. And while it's on cooldown he's desperately trying to work up the courage for another belt.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Yukari posted:

he's actually the shocker and every time he uses that ability, he slaps his hands together and then a big old cone of sonic energy destroys the terrain.
the thug is an ogre, and lifts up a loving tree and then smashes it down — and the tree happens to hit a cone area for blunt damage
it's a gorgon, and the gaze represents it's "petrifying gaze" except instead of dnd "save or die" this is more of a "if you hit zero from this you turn to stone".
the thug is riding a gondian warmachine, and the machine has a flamethrower on it.
the thug has a final fantasy sword and

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Thug on a wagon, pulling out inventions in a desperate attempt to escape
W-W-W-WIZARD THUG
Dragonborn thug whose breath weapon means the business
Priest thug of the god/goddess of [something nasty]
Thug is in a mechanized suit! But oh no, you hit the gas line, and it's exploding everywhere!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yukari posted:

Show her a couple of neat monsters you've written down. Give a step by step of reskinning them into something else. Then reveal that the "originals" were themselves reskins.

Bit of a weird question: has anyone ever gone through all the 4e powers and feats and pulled out all the "cool" ones? I don't mean most effective, I mean the ones with the neatest mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean, the answer is also "well, don't do that then." You want to make a basic thug with a bat what's got nails in it and you're trying to figure out how to refluff the massive dragon? Well, don't do that then. Reskin a different, more fitting monster.