Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

Am I reading these rules correctly that Imperial Fists can ignore the new going-second 2 command point strategem?

My patience is rewarded.
Kudos for GW with being more aggressive on CP generation nonsense than I expected them to be, and doubling down on "positioning is important" as a core game mechanic. This is a good set of changes.
e:f page break, here is my Primaris army so far

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, how are they ever going to avoid rules bloat while both updating the rules often and having paper books? Wouldn't it all need to be online? Having paper books you have to errata is sort of inherently additive ie: now I have 4 printed pages to tuck under the front cover of my kill team book.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 28, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You can use aos stuff in 40k?

You can use pretty much any Chaos Daemon stuff in 40k. I'm not sure why that box only has AoS branding on it tbh.

The Sex Cannon posted:

If you all come across any salty nerds on facebook or whatever, I'd be deeply appreciative as I'd like to compile a list of hot takes to read on the Badcast.

Dakka has let me down today. I was expecting so much salt when I saw the FAQ, and instead it's a bunch of people going "that's not bad actually".

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Almost all the demons are cross-compatible.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The Chaos Daemon line is largely the same across both systems. They will have different rules of course, but the same minis (with some exceptions, ie: Soul Grinders).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mean, how are they ever going to avoid rules bloat while both updating the rules often and having paper books? Wouldn't it all need to be online? Having paper books you have to errata is sort of inherently addictive ie: now I have 4 printed pages to tuck under the front cover of my kill team book.

You're right on both points. Other game companies have figured this out. We're stuck with codexes and indexes for now. Maybe they'll come to Space Jesus in time for 9th.

That said, they should be consolidating the Rule Book. Rule book + Rules FAQ + Big FAQ 1 + Big FAQ 2 shrinks to "Updated rules".

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
We'll get that eventually and it'll just be called "9th edition" or "8.5 edition"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Felime posted:

Oh, poo poo, and no prohibition on stacking knight invuln saves to 3+. That's still going to be a fucker.

Didn't even make Rotate Ion Shields more expensive. I was fully expecting 1cp Armiger, 2cp Quesator, 3cp Dominus, but no, Qs still get it for one. :dance:

Naramyth posted:

Now that raven might be too expensive to run maybe its FNP tanaris knight time

I get why all those Castellan players loved OoC, but as a guy who runs a Gallant, a Crusader, and an Armiger or three, OoC was never why I took Raven. I took Raven because it gets you some of the fastest, shootiest Knights out there. Crusader and Helverins play keep away, Gallant and Warglaives get in fast, shooting all the way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

But how does the DR nerf make you feel?

What was changed? I didn't see it 🤔

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I'm sad.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

TheChirurgeon posted:

We'll get that eventually and it'll just be called "9th edition" or "8.5 edition"

Yeah I'd like to see an v8.5 book once all the codexes are out.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

So there was a bit of a rules argument I got into a recent game involving Pulsed Laser Discharge.

quote:

Pulsed Laser Discharge:
If this model remains stationary or moves under half speed in its Movement phase (i.e. it moves a distance in inches less than half of its current Move characteristic) it can shoot its prism cannon twice in its next shooting phase (the prism cannon must use the same profile and target the same unit both times it is fired).

Because it specified next movement phase instead of just its shooting phase. My opponent said that it meant that my Fire Prism would move half speed on turn 1, and then on turn 2 it could fire twice. I thought this was absolutely crazy and thankfully I had some literal neckbeard (wizard type not stubble type) on my side to say that it's the same turn's shooting.

The FAQ didn't clarify though and I'd hate to be wrong and have had a tainted game, so any thoughts?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh. I never would have interpreted it that way in the first place.

Injury Rolls are based off the weapon's Damage Characteristic. Disgustingly Resilient doesn't modify the characteristic, it just lets you ignore damage. So why would it.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Chucat posted:

So there was a bit of a rules argument I got into a recent game involving Pulsed Laser Discharge.

Because it specified next movement phase instead of just its shooting phase. My opponent said that it meant that my Fire Prism would move half speed on turn 1, and then on turn 2 it could fire twice. I thought this was absolutely crazy and thankfully I had some literal neckbeard (wizard type not stubble type) on my side to say that it's the same turn's shooting.

The FAQ didn't clarify though and I'd hate to be wrong and have had a tainted game, so any thoughts?

It is the same turns shooting. Movement > Psychic > Shooting > Charging > Melee > Morale. When you're in the movement phase, the next shooting phase is the one immediately following your psychic phase. The FAQ didn't clarify this because it doesn't need to, your opponent needs to get his brain checked.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chucat posted:

The next Shooting Phase after the turn 1 Movement Phase is the turn 1 Shooting Phase.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

jng2058 posted:

Didn't even make Rotate Ion Shields more expensive. I was fully expecting 1cp Armiger, 2cp Quesator, 3cp Dominus, but no, Qs still get it for one. :dance:

I get why all those Castellan players loved OoC, but as a guy who runs a Gallant, a Crusader, and an Armiger or three, OoC was never why I took Raven. I took Raven because it gets you some of the fastest, shootiest Knights out there. Crusader and Helverins play keep away, Gallant and Warglaives get in fast, shooting all the way.

House raven is worth it for the strat. And the strat is only really good for the castellan.

Also other knights aren't the problem. Its raven castellan. Then waaaaay down crusaders I guess.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I pulled the trigger on Conquest.

Guess i'm officially back 'in' 40k. Well, I wasn't ever really 'in' in the first place, I guess.

The Celestial Lions will soon* march to war! As will my as-yet undefined Plague Marine warband!

*for a given definition of soon

I guess I can get into killteam while I wait for them to send enough dudes to make a proper 40k list?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Celestial Lions will soon* march to war!

Celestial Lions own bones, good choice.

Most of those bones are from the 99% of their chapter that has been killed, but nevertheless...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Second the choice in Lions. Cool paint scheme, not awful monsters, neat fluff habits. Gives a lot to work with.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My LGS posted on tbe Facebook that they're discounting Warhammer and other mini games this weekend at amounts they can't advertise. It's a fairly unusual post for them.

The question is, what is a realistic discount floor for GW stuff, and is it worth not sleeping in on Saturday to drive 15 minutes to the store?

I think I'm gonna get a couple Dreadnoughts for my 2019 Salamanders army. The plan is dread heavy.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

My LGS posted on tbe Facebook that they're discounting Warhammer and other mini games this weekend at amounts they can't advertise. It's a fairly unusual post for them.

The question is, what is a realistic discount floor for GW stuff, and is it worth not sleeping in on Saturday to drive 15 minutes to the store?

I think I'm gonna get a couple Dreadnoughts for my 2019 Salamanders army. The plan is dread heavy.

Retailer discount is 40% usually.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheBigAristotle posted:

If they can't advertise it, it's more than 15% which is the max GW allows. You can get stuff routinely for 30% off with free shipping off ebay so it's up to you if you want to go to the store or not.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of prices, I was just out bid when price plus shipping on all 20 of the dark vengeance cultists whet above $50. What would even be considered the normal price range on Ebay for them?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If someone went over 50 for cultists, it probably included things like the heavy gunners and champions that aren’t available outside of an OOP starter set.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, it had (has, it's up Sunday), all the models. Too pricey then, I'll have to find another way to make the cultist kill team.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Partner and I were just discussing with how the FAQ hadn't hit yet while at the FLGS. Talk about timing I guess. No Custodes changes I'm seeing, did they fall off that hard recently?

Schadenboner posted:

You can do counts-as/not-Dangles/Bangles/Wuffs using the relevant codex.

Technically you can't use special characters or relics although as long as you aren't taking characters/relics from more than one chapter no one but the beardiest of bitches will even raise a problem and if they do then maybe your not-Space Wolves actually *are* Space Wolves, just from a Great Company that happens to dress in puce and lime green, and "When Logan Grimnar (or whomever-the-gently caress) fights with them he wears their colors to honor their courageous defense of Mount BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH in the 37th Millennia", so you can probably get away with it.

TLDR: No one worth playing against will care, and if you must play someone who actually does care there's an easy linguistic end-run around their :objection:.

That's what I figured, but wanted to double check. I'm not big on special characters anyways, but maybe some counts-as the dreadnought heroes could be fun.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes, it had (has, it's up Sunday), all the models. Too pricey then, I'll have to find another way to make the cultist kill team.

Necromunda models make decent cultists.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fake James posted:

Celestial Lions own bones, good choice.

Most of those bones are from the 99% of their chapter that has been killed, but nevertheless...
Hey, they were making a comeback even before the Primaris marines were being dished out like candy.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Second the choice in Lions. Cool paint scheme, not awful monsters, neat fluff habits. Gives a lot to work with.
Their paint scheme is pretty great, to be sure. Honestly I was deciding between Crimson Fists and the Lions, and the fact I should be able to cover the Lions with paints I'm getting as part of Conquest nudged it over in their favour.

I've decided that I'm going to mix in some female heads from Statuesque and justify them as being part of an experimental Primaris process (because honestly, if you could expand the pool of potential space marines, why wouldn't you?) that are being deployed as part of a lesser known, severely depleted chapter who are much less likely to kick up a fuss. Plus, you know, lions.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
I just wanted to get in on the Nurgle action, so here's the Kill Team I used the other day

The Bubonic Bastards

Featured from left to right: Ebola Jones, The Kidney Clogger, The Big C and Lil Tumor, Thrush Tom, Puss-ball Peter, and Kevin

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
In an Internet full of hot takes about the FAQ you may find yourself asking: “where can I find the best FAQ hot takes?” Look no further than goonhammer.com, for spicy and probably hilariously wrong opinions about changes coming to YOUR game.

http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/big-faq-thoughts-autumn-2018/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I still feel like it was a missed opportunity by GW not calling the GSC Guard allies “Band of Brooders”?

:shrug:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, they were making a comeback even before the Primaris marines were being dished out like candy.

Their paint scheme is pretty great, to be sure. Honestly I was deciding between Crimson Fists and the Lions, and the fact I should be able to cover the Lions with paints I'm getting as part of Conquest nudged it over in their favour.

I've decided that I'm going to mix in some female heads from Statuesque and justify them as being part of an experimental Primaris process (because honestly, if you could expand the pool of potential space marines, why wouldn't you?) that are being deployed as part of a lesser known, severely depleted chapter who are much less likely to kick up a fuss. Plus, you know, lions.

Nice. They had a thing I liked in back story where they trade transport or other things an all they ask for is stories to retell in return.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of Death Guard! Which base rim colour looks best?

Black or various browns? Maybe I should try a grey?

Bonus WIP shot!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That Armiger looks great.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I still feel like it was a missed opportunity by GW not calling the GSC Guard allies “Band of Brooders”?

:shrug:

"Band of Brooders" is more like a Krieg/Dark Angels nickname; I will accept "Band of Broodlings" tho and subsequently steal it for myself

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That Armiger looks great.

Thanks. They hunt in pairs. I’ll have shots of them all on the table tomorrow.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Am I reading these rules correctly that Imperial Fists can ignore the new going-second 2 command point strategem?

Yes, the opponent's units will NOT get cover against the Imperial Fists, even with the new stratagem.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Harkano posted:

Speaking of Death Guard! Which base rim colour looks best?

Steel Legion Drab. :colbert:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Yes, the opponent's units will NOT get cover against the Imperial Fists, even with the new stratagem.

If anything I’d say the benefit is very mild, considering the opponent skips spending the 2CP and doesn’t bother with non-LOS-blocking terrain cover anyway in the same way they would have previously. It’s a nice option against most armies, especially those with W10+ monsters and/or vehicles that normally wouldn’t get cover and gives you the benefit of freely forward-deploying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do any DG players have tips on how they tackle painting plague marines?

Having not painted in like a decade, I've got my base armour down- The Fang, heavy khaki drybrush, highlight to white, drakenhof nightshade. I want to do green shoulders and armour details, cloth in purple, cables and stuff in rusty orange. Back drat there's so many details and they're all pretty unique- one dude's mutations look like they should be a different colour from another dude's. How do you batch paint when one dude has a fly head and one has a bellymouth and one has worms coming out of him and one has exposed intestines?

You can still batch paint. Everyone has armor, and trim, and those weird porous balls. If you're really trucking one guy's guts can be the same pink as another guy's tongue or maw. Maggots can be the same sickly pallor as a Brundlehead.

Here's my dude I have good pictures of.

I started with a concrete grey basecolor and did like three layers of Athonian Camoshade then just did highlights and detail as normal.