Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am thoroughly enjoying y’alls’ writeups, thanks for taking the time on them.

One request: can you post with your blurb where you found the movie? Netflix, prime, shudder, YouTube, dvd, etc?

VVVV: thanks so much, that's really helpful, I appreciate it.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

One request: can you post with your blurb where you found the movie? Netflix, prime, shudder, YouTube, dvd, etc?

I can start doing this. Here's for the ones I've already posted:

The Blob - DVD (library)
Mandy - theater
The Hands of Orlac - YouTube
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key - Shudder
Fright Night - DVD (library)
Black Magic Part II - Blu-ray (owned)
Body Melt - DVD (Netflix)
Suspria - theater
The Old Dark House - DVD (library)
The Nude Vampire - Shudder
The Thing from Another World - DVD (library)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
That's a good idea actually, although I watch most of mine on blu-ray so probably not super helpful for people looking to find them online.

The Witching Season - blu-ray (also available on YouTube)
Lifeforce - blu-ray
Terrifier - Netflix
Unsane - blu-ray
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - Netflix
From Beyond - blu-ray
13 Ghosts - blu-ray
The Ritual - Netflix
Child's Play - blu-ray
Twice-Told Tales - blu-ray

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Not really horror movies themselves, but I've been enjoying watching hour+ long making of videos of some classic horror movies on youtube lately.

Here are the links to some really good ones if anyone cares:

Army of Darkness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofSuLv6KUzk&t=5s
Day of the Dead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKTl51U8HVk&t=22s
The Thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jURaHXAPbPQ

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

20. The Living Skeleton (1968)

Well that was a really cool movie. Technically excellent, with beautiful photography that used contrast to make some absolutely beautiful compositions. A haunting soundtrack that did an excellent job of setting the mood. The bulk of the plot was an interesting supernatural horror revenge story. The opening scene on the boat was pretty damned shocking and sets up the group of bandits we get to see being murdered throughout. Unfortunately, I think that the finale kind of goes off the rails and betrays the mood in favor of shlock. The shlock is done well though, and it doesn't take enough away for me to not recommend this movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I really wouldn't be surprised if the VHS transferred ones I've got aren't already uploaded somewhere like YouTube or Vimeo.

The Golem - VHS Transfer
Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde - VHS Transfer
Hands of Orlac - VHS Transfer
Haxan - DVD
Phantom of the Opera - VHS Transfer
The Lodger - VHS Transfer
Werewolf of London - DVD
Freaks - DVD
Frankenstein - DVD
Bride of Frankenstein - DVD
Dracula - DVD
Dracula (Spanish) - DVD
Supernatural - VHS Transfer
The Mummy - DVD
King Kong - DVD
Invisible Man - DVD
Mummy's Hand - DVD
Mummy's Tomb - DVD
Mummy's Curse - DVD
Mummy's Ghost - DVD
Dracula's Daughter - DVD
Son of Dracula - DVD
Son of Frankenstien - DVD
Ghost of Frankenstein - DVD
Frankenstein meets the wolf man - DVD
Caltiki - VHS Transfer
The Blob - DVD
Quatermass Experiment - VHS Transfer
Spacemaster x-7 - VHS Transfer
Blood of Dracula - DVD
I was a teenage frankenstein - DVD
I was a teenage werewolf - DVD
How to make a monster - DVD
The Bad Seed - DVD
Fiend without a Face - DVD
I Married a Monster from Outer Space - DVD
Invasion of the Saucer Men - VHS Transfer
Curse of Frankenstein - DVD
Horror of Dracula - DVD
Mummy - DVD
The Monolith Monsters - VHS Transfer
From Hell it Came - VHS Transfer
Night of the Demon - DVD
Them! - DVD
The Deadly Mantis - VHS Transfer
Day the World Ended - DVD
Day of the Triffids - DVD
Kwaidan - DVD
Quatermass and the Pit - DVD
Queen of blood - DVD
Comedy of Terrors - DVD
Island of Terror - VHS Transfer
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - DVD
The Blancheville Monster - VHS Transfer
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies - DVD
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - DVD
Matango - VHS Transfer
Curse of the Werewolf - DVD
The Green Slime - DVD
It! - VHS Transfer

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Don't Look Now(1973)

One of the most unique horror films out there, Don't Look Now is an examination of loss, relationships, and the conflict between destiny and free will. Is it scary? Maybe not so much, but it does have a gradually increasing sense of dread throughout that hangs over everything. Julie Christie's character is optimistic, but Roeg makes sure the audience is aware that something just isn't quite right here. Sutherland knows it, but he spends the entire film trying to put his finger on it but can never quite get there.

This is one of those films where the setting is a character unto itself. It's as if the characters have been absorbed by Venice itself, and even when Christie manages to get herself away from it we're shown that, in some way we can't fully understand, she really never left at all. Don't Look Now is a great example of cinematography supporting and lifting the themes and subtext of a film, the way Roeg shoots Venice(especially at night) adds so much to the dread that I described earlier.

Some may find the ending unsatisfying, others say it's one of the more thought provoking endings in the genre. Only one way to find out which camp you're in!

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Don't Look Now(1973)

I never quite get the backlash against this movie. Sure it’s been the center of a lot of proto “post horror” opinions from people who like to dismiss the genre but that’s not the movie’s fault. The only thing I don’t like about it is that interminable sex scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #4: Worst of the Best or Best of The Worst :siren:

:ghost: Watch a highly regarded director's worst movie.

or

:ghost: Watch a notoriously bad director's best movie.

You are allowed to define a good or bad director and their best/worst movie at your own discretion.*

*For example, Quentin Tarantino's film Death Proof has many fans, but it being his most polarizing film, it could easily be considered his worst movie. Ray Dennis Steckler is considered a prolific filmmaker of bad films, and so you might pick The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies as his 'best' movie because it is his most well-known or popular film thanks to MST3k. You might pick John Carpenter's Vampires because you heard it was a mess, or you might pick his film Village of the Damned because you heard it's his most boring movie. I'm purposefully keeping the terms vague and open-ended so as to allow this still being fun instead of just a slog through trash cinema. I mean...I think a slog through trash cinema can be refreshing and fun, but your mileage might vary. Oh, and no, you can't combine this with the "Love Something You Hate" challenge, as that's intended to make you re-evaluate a film or sub-genre you dislike. There's a different intention behind this. That's all. Thanks for reading this. I hope you're having a nice day.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Hmm, that's a good one. I'm thinking Wes Craven's My Soul to Take, I actually own it (got it as part of a lot of movies some dude was selling) and have never bothered to watch it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I am thoroughly enjoying y’alls’ writeups, thanks for taking the time on them.

VVVV: thanks so much, that's really helpful, I appreciate it.

I’d recommend JustWatch.com if you see something and want to find it, it’s a super useful resource

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

This is gonna be a harder one, but there's plenty of time to find one that applies.

:ghost: Watch a film that takes place in the state* you currently live in

Bonus points if you can find a film that takes place in the city you live in, but don't feel pressured to get specific with sharing your personal details if that makes you uncomfortable.

13. Hollow Man (2000). Directed by Paul Verhoeven
Yikes. It feels like there was a whole lot of studio interference on this one. There's some really good body horror in here, let down by the effects aging poorly. I actually like that Bacon's character was already kind of a shithead before he turns invisible, but I think it needed to make Bacon's character more obviously unethical to make his descent more believable? Probably Verhoeven's worst movie, all things considered.
On the plus side, an obviously lovely scientist getting high on his own formula and turning into an invisible rapist is an incredibly Washington DC character motivation. Can't say he got the setting wrong. Parts of it were also shot at the Pentagon, so it's technically an Arlington film too!

I'll do this with my watches so far.
Evolution - Netflix (streaming)
Nightbreed (director's cut) - Shudder
Carnival of Souls - FilmStruck
Rabid - Shudder
Terrifier - Netflix (streaming)
The Nude Vampire - Shudder
Monkey Shines - Hulu
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats - Shudder
The Devil Rides Out - YouTube
Jacob's Ladder - Netflix (Blu-Ray)
Lifeforce - DVD
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - Netflix (Blu-Ray)
Hollow Man - Netflix (DVD)

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 28, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Ooh ooh ooh now I have an excuse to watch The Hills Have Eyes Part 2! (seriously)

Letterboxd is a good way to see a director's highest/lowest rated films. Just go to a director's page and sort their filmography by average rating (make sure "director" is selected at the top left).

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 28, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gonna do this. Didn't do great last year, but feeling good about this one. My goals for this challenge are:

Goal #1: Watch The Terror (AMC miniseries) this week as a warmup. Just finished this. Nice to start out with something checked off. Will review in my next post.

Goal #2: Starting this weekend, watch 30 movies by November 1 to make, with The Terror, 31.

Goal #3: Watch these 13 new-to-me movies:
  1. Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)
  2. The Beyond
  3. Beyond the Black Rainbow
  4. The Brood
  5. Child’s Play
  6. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  7. Dead Alive
  8. The Exorcist
  9. From Beyond
  10. Godzilla (1954)
  11. Gremlins 2
  12. The Return of the Living Dead
  13. Suspiria
Goal #4: Complete all the Fran Challenges.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dracula A.D. 1972(1972)

Maybe not the best Hammer Dracula in the series, but one that I've always thought was underrated. As far as Christopher Lee stalking around and mugging for the camera, you can't do much better than this one. His presence is just as strong here as it's ever been. And believe it or not, this is the first time Lee and Cushing starred together in a Dracula film since the original in 1959.

The 70s aesthetic combined with the presence of the ultimate gothic character works really well for me, I enjoy seeing them collide. And just because we're in the 70s doesn't mean the Hammer hallmarks are missing, you still get the foggy nights and the crumbling castle and all that. So really I don't see the downside.

Plus, the greatest scene in Dracula film history in my opinion:

IT WAS MY WILL

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973) 22. Dracula A.D. 1972

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Terror (Miniseries, 2018)
Source: DVR'd it last spring from AMC

I started with this because I knew that by the end of the month watching a miniseries to count as one movie would be a complete non-starter. But since I didn't want to dive into this challenge too much before October, it was a nice warmup before the real poo poo this weekend.

Because of the running time, over eight hours, hard to recommend this for this challenge, but I found this very enjoyable in general. In the manner of, say, Ravenous, you have a bunch of great actors bouncing off each other as their characters grapple with a horrifying situation just beyond the real. And I'm sucker for naval stories, and this evokes the length and distance of the expedition in way reminiscent of the Aubrey–Maturin books / movie.

It's anchored by Jared Harris (Mad Men) as Captain Francis Crozier of the Terror, one of a pair of British polar explorer ships searching for the northwest passage starting in 1845. He's great, as to be expected, but the lesser known faces around him are also strong.

It's not a revelation. But if the idea of it appeals to you, it's a good execution of the feeling of a long, novelistic story in a miniseries.

So Far: #1 The Terror (2018)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CRAYON posted:

20. The Living Skeleton (1968)

This one reminded me a lot of a feature length Tales From the Crypt story. It has a very EC comics vibe to it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
18. The Axe Murders of Villisca (2016)

Watched on: Netflix

Based on the true story of the unsolved axe murders that happened in Villisca in 1912. The biggest thing I didn't like about this film was it contains painful amounts of "let's relate to the millenials!". The lead girl has a sex recording leaked around her high school in an attempt to be topical and everyone is on Skype. That sort of thing.

There really just isn't anything original here either. The group of teenagers decides to investigate the haunted house and spirits begin their possessing and old sins come out. It's just very paint by numbers and there is no real cohesion either at all. Though it made me seriously consider finding a documentary of the actual Axe Murders of Villisca which might be better (plus, might as well expand my challenge and get a documentary in there).

:spooky:.5/5

Total: 1. The Conjuring 2 (2016), 2. Terrifier (2016), 3. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), 4. Split (2017), 5. The First Purge (2018), 6. Trick 'R Treat (2009), 7. Wolf Creek (2005), 8. King Kong (1976), 9. Halloween II (2009), 10. Pumpkinhead (1988), 11. House on Haunted Hill (1959), 12. House on Haunted Hill (1999), 13. What We Do in the Shadows (2014), 14. Ghostbusters (2016), 15. Bride of Chucky (1998), 16. Seed of Chucky (2004), 17. Nightbreed (1990), 18. The Axe Murders of Villisca (2016)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I’d recommend JustWatch.com if you see something and want to find it, it’s a super useful resource

Thanks for the link! Very useful. And thanks to goons listing their movies’ provenance too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

61- Blood Feast 1963 - DVD

Considered the first gore movie and was banned in the UK as a video nasty for 40 years, this one's a classic. By today's standards it's more silly than shocking, but it's worth watching just for how over the top it is.

62- The Flesh Eaters 1964 - DVD

This one's another surprising amount gore for a movie of the era.

A pilot's chartered to fly a going downhill actress and her assistant from New York to Providence. A storm brews up and they're forced to land on an island where the only other person is a marine biologist. While they're there, skeletons of both fish and people start washing up. Before they can leave the island, they lose their plane. While we don't see landmasses from the island, it's apparently a doable enough distance for a beatnik/hippy type on a homemade raft to paddle on over and a supply boat to make the rounds.

We learn very fast the Flesh Eaters are silvery microscopic organisms in the water and they're voracious little buggers. In the time for someone to get a splash of water on the face, they're already reduced to shreds of muscle on bone.

There is a deleted scene showing Nazi experiments with the Flesh Eaters. It's included as an extra on the Dark Sky DVD. Best I've been able to find is it was an addition by the distributor as it clearly stands out by not being of the same quality/standard of the rest of the film. Frankly the film's fine without the scene and it doesn't really add anything to the story.

In the liner notes of my copy, Arnold Drake said it was a news article about the dead fish washing up in red waves on the East Coast which inspired him to write The Flesh Eaters. He also says he's often asked what makes a cult classic which is only fair in his being responsible for the Doom Patrol and Deadman comics, the only answer he can give is he doesn't know. I don't know either but I recognize horror classic gold when I see it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

13)Are We Not Cats?

It's another horror adjacent movie (this time on shudder). Guy loses job and girlfriend, falls for new girl who shares his love of eating hair. Her way more than him. It's gross, but also kind of sweet. Definitely weird and different. More than just a little stomach turning, but in kind of a twee way.

2.5/5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day -3 - Frankenstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8K-4osNb0

This movie was the reason I decided to do my rewatch pre-show before I start my actual challenge in October. It's been more than fifteen years since I've seen Frankenstein and Bride, so I decided why not. Yes, I know that leaves me one day short, but the last movie I have picked out is a natural continuation of this so I have to watch these first.

A wacky thought that occurred to me as I watched the movie: is this the first film where people started referring to the main character with the title of the film? I don't mean an actually eponymous character, I mean that weird thing where some people think the main character has the same name as the movie title. The poster might have helped too

I'm debating whether I like this version of Frankenstein better than Curse of Frankenstein (the only two movie adaptations worth talking about). On the Hammer side, Cushing is amazing and while Clive is better than I remembered that just isn't fair. On the Universal side, Karloff's creature is better than Lee's and is given a lot more to do. The script is better in Hammer with the Dr. Frankenstein stuff, the script is better in the Universal movie with the monster. Hammer's film suffers a bit from being their first major success and the superlow budget shows while Univeral's is a lavash production. I think James Whale is what makes me side with the 1931 version. On the other hand, I did spot some crew in one of the shots on this viewing, so that ruins the movie. :v:

The make up effects are way better than I remembered them. They're easy to picture in your mind, but they're still impressive on screen in motion with Karloff acting in them.

You know, I'm not sure if being credited as "Mrs. Percy B. Shelly" is better or worse than having the author as "Anonymous" on the title page. I guess Whale was cashing in on that "Ozymandius" connection.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Franchescanado posted:

:ghost: Watch a highly regarded director's worst movie.

For a second time, your challenge has succeeded in introducing me to a film I hadn't heard of previously.

My watch for this challenge is one that I found many people to claim to be Wes Cravens' worst, Deadly Friend .

This is a strange movie. It starts off as a quirky 80s family movie, complete with BB, a personal robot assistant to our main man Paul. Paul and his mother move to town thanks to Paul getting a scholarship at PolyTech. Early on we are introduced to the few characters in this movie, Paul's love interest, Sam, Sam's alcoholic father, his best friend Tom, and the cranky, paranoid next door neighbor played by Anne Ramsey (playing the only character I ever known her to play).

Very quickly this movie moves from bubbly made-for- TV material, to darker themes when Sams abusive father shoves her down the stairs and kills her. Things then move back into goofy 80s TV material until Paul decides the best choice of action is to steal Sam's body and implant microchips in her brain to bring her back. And things get crazy from here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT3C9Z9sCk

I am going to disagree about this being Cravens worst, I haven't seen them, but I believe THHE 2 or Chiller would have been a more appropriate pick for the worst. The tone of this movie is strange and the comedy doesn't work, especially with the material surrounding it. That said, this was hell of entertaining and there are a few scenes like the one above where you and your buds, who are drinking and staying up late to watch this movie, will say 'Duuuuude!'. Might be a good match with Chopping Mall

SMP
May 5, 2009

13. Hold the Dark - 4/5

quote:

I fear Green Room set people's expectations poorly. This is a way more contemplative (for lack of a better term) movie. More along the lines of Saulnier's Blue Ruin or something by Taylor Sheridan, for better or worse. Harsh landscapes, shootouts, stoic men, and almost no women. The film has some dubious gender politics. Still, it's a very compelling mystery as long as you aren't sick of this kind of story. Arguably not a horror movie, but Alexander Skarsgård is a fantastic Michael Meyers.

SMP fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 29, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Challenge 4 accepted.

I already have Ghosts of Mars on my DVR.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

63- Horror of Party Beach 1964 - DVD

Mention drive-ins, old beach movies, catchy songs that only existed for the movie, and monsters, this movie's likely the one everyone's going to think of.

I was always partial to the title credits since it shows the creation of the monsters. Storyline's the standard b-movie fare. The day gets saved by Eulabelle. Her portrayal is eyetwitchingly bad, not to mention unthinkable by today's sensibilities, but she's the one who cuts through everyone's theories to go straight to use salt against zombies. Would've been a shorter movie if they listened to her first. Overall, this one's not bad for an entry in a b-movie marathon.

64- Eye of the Devil 1966 - DVD

Best summation I've heard of this one is 'It's The Wicker Man before there's a Wicker Man.'

It begins with the Marquis de Montfauçon being notified that the vinyards back home in Belenac have failed and 'It's time'.

While not as overtly pagan as Wicker Man, we still catch that Belenac is of the Old Faith. Donald Pleasence does a great job as Father Dominic who's also the pagan High Priest. This one's also Sharon Tate's first role.

Very much worth a watch especially if you're doing a double feature with The Wicker Man.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
5. Hold The Dark

I'd say this is probably my least favorite Saulnier movie. It's beautifully shot, the acting is great, and it's got a creepy, unsettling atmosphere that works for me. Saulnier's penchant for nasty violence works well in the small doses it appears. But the pacing felt a little too sluggish for me and the ending left me unsatisfied.

Not a bad movie, but it doesn't really hold up against Saulnier's other movies all that well.

3/5

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

These challenge threads have been a good excuse for me to catch up on some of the spookier episodes of MST3K, and figured I'd start out this time with what I commonly see regarded as one of the best with Hobgoblins; a low budget horny Gremlins knockoff that tries to lean into its campiness way harder than it can manage to pull off. Highlights include a Casio-accentuated rake fight that goes on for way longer than it has any right to, the completely unarticulated puppetry of the titular Hobgoblins, the unending sexual provocations of Daphne and her army boyfriend, and Crow's documentary on the elusive Woman.

Movies Watched (2): Mandy, Hobgoblins (MST3K)
Challenges Completed: None (yet.)

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 29, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Tonight the local haunted house opened up, and coming out of it I was high on spook-a-doodle. So after two years of accomplishing the challenge, I want to make this my third year doing so. No real goal, other than clear out my shelf of unwatched horror films, check out Shudder for the first time, and catch anything that fancies me. My only goal is to make better/more concise write ups rather than my multi-paragraph ramblings.

And considering that I'm late to a couple of Fran's Challenges, figure I should hurry on and catch up.

:skeltal:The List:skeltal:
1. Welcome to Willits (Fran Challenge 1: Love Something You Hate)

So, the common adage is that is that a bad Drama can be hilarious, but a bad Comedy is dire. And horror is a genre full of well meaning filmmakers who don't know what they're doing. Point being, horror comedy is a very dicey proposition. Add on to that the very shaky track record of stoner comedies, and you have a neigh uphill battle. Anyways, Netflix had two candidates, and this one was the sub 1 hr 30 min option.

Anyways, this is a movie of two stories. One is about a meth cooking, weed growing couple. Husband claims to have been abducted by animals, wife believes him, niece doesn't. The second is about a group of young people going into the woods to vacation, despite stories of abductions. I'll get to the point, I don't like this film at all. And I'm going to spoil it because I don't think it's worth watching. There aren't any aliens. The husband and wife are wacked out of his brains, and start thinking these kids are aliens. It's clear that the filmmaker was so interested in a plot about a delusional person, thinking he's in a horror movie, unknowingly causing a slasher among these kids. And they were so infatuated with that story that they neglected to make the latter half of their movie any good, not that the former half is any great. It's mix of witty dialog, silly stoner shenanigans, and scenes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia style idiots fumbling just don't land at all. Partly is because the movie's atmosphere is so dire early on that it's tension just overrides a scene's intention. Nor is it scary in its attempts to disturb the audience with the violent actions of a man suffering from psychosis (but Hannibal it is not). It's a film of too many ideas, and as a result it is clever by half. Maybe if the filmmakers had paired down it's premise to it's bare essentials, and thoroughly explored them, it might have been fine. But as is, it's a number of familiar elements remixed in an uninteresting and inartistic way.

Also, it features an extended cameo by Dolph Lundgren as a cop in a show-within-a-movie, which was a really bizarre and needless choice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

:ghost: Pick a film from a horror sub-genre* that you don't like, and watch it.

#4 / 31 - Taeter City: City of Cannibals (2012) ★★★★☆

In the future, a dystopian government called The Authority runs everything. Animal meat has been outlawed; instead, people eat criminals, served to them by a massive fast-food chain called Taeter Burger. To procure criminals to make into burgers, the Authority uses the "ZEED System," which sends out radio waves that make potential criminals kill themselves, and sends out bikers to clean up the corpses and finish off anyone who isn't dead. Naturally, because there has to be a movie, the ZEED system fucks up and creates a supercriminal who can turn people into zombies by shrieking. A squad of bikers are sent out to try and kill this guy. Things do not go great.

This one... almost feels kinda like cheating. I usually really, really don't like microbudget gore flicks like this; Ryan Nicholson, Toetag Pictures, Andreas Schnaas, Olaf Ittenbach, you name it and it's just not my poo poo at all. There's something about Necrostorm, though, that really kind of endears them to me; it really feels like the DNA of their movies is quite different from the rest of the subgenre, with them being much more influenced by ultraviolent anime OVAs, Euro comics, and 80s action movies than anything else. Like, if I had to compare Taeter City to anything, it would be like if Hardware, Angel Cop, and Zombie '90: Extreme Pestilence got flung in a blender and the resulting slurry was formed into a 70-minute movie; it's an absolutely bizarre viewing experience and I can't possibly hate it because it's just got so much goddamn chutzpah. It's the kind of movie that makes you want to keep watching, just to see what kind of utterly bonkers thing is going to happen next, from a man being executed by "hand and skull destruction by twisting" to the aforementioned shrieking zombie-creator to the heroes' boss outright admitting out loud that none of the premise makes sense.

For a microbudget movie, the technical aspects of it are actually pretty good. The gore is fantastic (and actually makes me wince at a couple points), the movie's surprisingly well-shot on the whole, and the production design, while definitely the aspect that shows the movie's restrictions the hardest, is remarkably inventive. I will say, however, that Amazon Prime does it no favors; the transfer they have available looks like a badly encoded DVD-rip.

watchlist with links

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

65- The Undertaker and his Pals 1966 - SHUDDER

This one's a bit of an oddball. It's a horror/comedy that just doesn't seem sure about it's ratio of horror to comedy.

Here we have a struggling undertaker in a partnership with a shifty greasy spoon diner to help solve their financial problems. It's not quite H.G. Lewis degree of gore and it should be worth a watch with a few beers and friends.

66- Tales of Terror 1962 - HULU

This is an anthology of three of Poe's stories. Overall it's okay, I just think M. Valdemar's story at the end was the better handled of the stories.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Can I just point out that M_Sinistrari is only a dozen movies away from hitting Choco's record of 78 movies from last year and we haven't even reached October yet? :psyduck:

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 29, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

M_Sinistrari posted:

65- The Undertaker and his Pals 1966 - SHUDDER

This one's a bit of an oddball. It's a horror/comedy that just doesn't seem sure about it's ratio of horror to comedy.

Here we have a struggling undertaker in a partnership with a shifty greasy spoon diner to help solve their financial problems. It's not quite H.G. Lewis degree of gore and it should be worth a watch with a few beers and friends.

I’ve always wanted to know more about the behind the scenes on this .There’s no way “T.L.P. Swicegood” is an person, and some say HGL was the real director. Doesn’t make much sense to me a director would boilerplate his own, other more successful movie that he put his name, on for this

I like this movie though. It was on one of those 6-movie DVD packs. Blood Feast is meaner, where this is goofier, even getting a few chuckles from me. Highly recommended if you want something goofy and to witness the most amazing stair chase scene you will ever see .

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Trash Boat posted:

Can I just point out that M_Sinistrari is only a dozen movies away from hitting Choco's record of 78 movies from last year and we haven't even reached October yet? :psyduck:

I’m assuming they are some kind of movie watching robot that doesn’t need to eat or sleep

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

Phantom of the Paradise

I have a fairly broad taste in movies, but if there's one subgenre I've always hated it's musicals. The music never seems to be good enough to justify all the time it takes up, and often I feel it messes with the tone of what could be a better story without it.

Well, it makes sense that the best way around that problem is write the movie so that the music is fully and naturally integrated into it, and that's what the two horror musicals that I've now seen and enjoyed have done. The first, a few years ago, was The Wicker Man. So that's the movie that really made me believe that I could enjoy a musical, but Phantom of the Paradise is another example of it done right.

It's great fun to watch De Palma pull from all kinds of different sources, something he's done with varying success in his films I've seen. In this case it works because of the satirical tone and over the top production design. The costumes in particular are amazing to see, and the rock opera premise is used to full effect to create some pretty memorable scenes. All in all I really don't have much bad to say about it, and it's always nice to see Jessica Harper in something other than Suspiria. Consider this Part 1 of this challenge, because there's another horror musical that I'm going to check out later on when I get into more recent films.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974)

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 29, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Guess I’ll throw in stuff I see in theaters too, because why not.

14. Hell Fest (2018). Directed by Gregory Plotkin.

Interesting that they made a slasher film focused around the worst people you see at Halloween Horror Nights every year. The folks who mess or pose with the props, loudly try to predict the scares... All it needed was one of those drunk dudes who reflexively punch the scareactors.

Otherwise, I actually didn’t hate this! It’s completely disposable as a horror movie, but sometimes that’s all you need. Would probably hate on this way more if I didn’t spend a good amount of my teenage years at all these seasonal haunts like Horror Nights and Howl-O-Scream. This got me more nostalgic than I was anticipating.

seen in a theater

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Guess I’ll throw in stuff I see in theaters too, because why not.

Not only is this okay, but it's encouraged.

There seems to be more Challenge-appropriate movies in theaters this year than previous years. (That's from memory, though, I'm not curious enough to google the hard facts.)

Then again, I go to the movies at least once a week.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Random Stranger posted:

Day -3 - Frankenstein

A wacky thought that occurred to me as I watched the movie: is this the first film where people started referring to the main character with the title of the film? I don't mean an actually eponymous character, I mean that weird thing where some people think the main character has the same name as the movie title. The poster might have helped too

An interesting question. My first thought was Nosferatu. But then I don't know if people made the title/character mistake at the time of its release or if that's a more modern thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Trash Boat posted:

M_Sinistrari's the rear end in a top hat in school who constantly scored 100% on tests and hosed up the curve for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

13. Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)

For some reason most of my life people told me Killer Klowns was an awful movie and I have no drat clue why. The Klowns in question look incredible and the kills are memorable. Plus I just couldn't help but have fun. Even down to the theme song. Killer Klowns has fun at a drive-in written all over it. I wish I could have double featured this with Ernest Scared Stupid just to see all the heads reused. The last monster was so drat cool.
3 out 5

14. Monster Squad (1987)

I had never seen this before and I would say it has a lot going for it other than seeming very dated from a dialogue standpoint. Not just the some of the slurs and tropes being of their time but just something about it doesn't work for me. But, holy moly is Dracula amazing, looks great, has the presence, I just love this Dracula. The monsters in general are pretty drat fantastic and all the set pieces looked nice. This would be an easy classic for me to show to kids with a little editing (I'm not a fan of censorship but gay slurs don't have any place in the current time.) I would say it didn't live up to the nostalgia hype I've heard about it but it was still a good time.
3 out of 5

• Locked thread