Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Praying for a surprise announcement next Friday that Holy Fury will come out the Monday after!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Same except this evening and tomorrow.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
same except it's like the U2 album and I have it already

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
same except I'm already playing it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol if you aren't sacrificing a bull to Paradox to hasten it's release.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Getting my toga ready in anticipation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically England, India, and maybe Greece, France, and Arabia are the only places that won't be radically changed by the patch and DLC.

So either play there, or play in one of the places that's going to be radically changed to have one last hurrah with old mechanics. Be an unchallenged muslim in Spain, invade an isolated Mali, form the Kingdom of Italy and fastrack your way to Italia with basically no stumbling blocks or geographic obstruction, struggle with substandard pagan mechanics or even conversion from paganism mechanics, but thrill in not having holy orders set up shop to fight you. Go play Bon, the only unreformable pagan religion.

And then when Holy Fury comes out, put the save on a spare drive and throw it into the ocean.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to stop someone like England to declaring war and then bringing in the Knight Templars without using the cash cheat to give yourself a poo poo load of mercs? I feel dirty doing that but getting tired of them wanting a land and bringing in 30,000 soldiers in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to stop someone like England to declaring war and then bringing in the Knight Templars without using the cash cheat to give yourself a poo poo load of mercs? I feel dirty doing that but getting tired of them wanting a land and bringing in 30,000 soldiers in.

- raise the ruler's opinion of you so they're less likely to declare war

- make an actual alliance with them (intermarriage is the easiest way)

- have a bigger army than they do to begin with

- save up cash to buy mercs the honest way, without cheating

- make an alliance with somebody even bigger than they are and call them into your war

- swear fealty to England and conquer their other vassals one by one

- stab your way through their rulers until a toddler-king sits on the throne and then steal land from them during the revolt that inevitably follows

there are other ways too but honestly you're basically asking "guys is there a way to play CK2 without cheating"

what you're asking about IS the game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also if they're bringing in the Knights Templar against you that means you're not the same religion, so consider converting to their religion, which among other things will instantly end a holy war against you (if that's what they're doing)

if this hurts your pride you can also just pretend to convert with the appropriate DLC

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think after the game I have where I just use console commands, I probably doing a more honest iron man session. What a good starting point that not Ireland as I sick of seeing it after 300 years in-game. But I try to do those. The only thing I surprised is the fact you can't console command to wipe out the entire blood line of a country to just breaks up completely. What you said where it just has a ton of revolts happen, but nothing really changes after a point.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

1066 Leon's not a bad starting point; kill your two brother kings in the right order before they can make heirs and you'll inherit their kingdoms. and even if that doesn't pan out your heir should inherit the claims on those + the number of muslims to the south mean you've got a lot of holy warring potential

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rirse posted:

I think after the game I have where I just use console commands, I probably doing a more honest iron man session. What a good starting point that not Ireland as I sick of seeing it after 300 years in-game. But I try to do those. The only thing I surprised is the fact you can't console command to wipe out the entire blood line of a country to just breaks up completely. What you said where it just has a ton of revolts happen, but nothing really changes after a point.

You can't really "break up" a country just by killing people. The title will almost always go to someone. Even if you wipe out the entire royal dynasty, it'll just go up along the family tree until it finds some other vaguely related dynasty to go to. Even with console commands, it's not really practical to wipe out every possible heir to a title.

The way you break up countries isn't by destroying the top title - that's basically impossible. Instead, you do what you can to create a situation where the vassals can rebel. For the most part, that just means to stab people until a weak or incompetent ruler (such as a child, an invalid, or a lunatic) ends up on the throne, and then sit back and wait until their vassals start rebelling. Revolts are exactly what you want to happen - the turmoil they cause weakens the ruler, and can even give you opportunities to conquer pieces of the country without going to war with the liege.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I had good luck taking land without cheating from Scotland while their forces were away for the Crusade. They literally did nothing to fight back while I was doing that. I need to do stuff like that or attack while they are rebeling. Which I did fight a country while that was happening, but was surprise the rebels attack me as well. They still died, but we should be teaming up!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rirse posted:

the advantage of revolts isn't that it breaks up empires by itself (although it does on occasion, if for instance it's an independence revolt and the revolt wins)

it's that during a revolt a) you can target either the revolt or the original domain and b) the original domain's troops are going to be busy putting down the revolt, greatly weakening and distracting them, allowing you to attack them when they're weakest

in terms of good starting points, it depends a lot on whether you're more interested in internal realm politics or war. for the former, try playing a powerful vassal duke in France in 1066. for the latter, maybe one of the Spanish kingdoms, also in 1066.

as a Spanish Catholic you're going to want to cultivate alliances with France or other nearby christian powers so you don't get curbstomped by Muslims, but it's a great environment for learning to survive when you're outnumbered without being quite as brutal as similar starts in the eastern half of the map (which tend to both be surrounded by hostile pagans and have to deal with mongol horde invasions from time to time)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

You can't really "break up" a country just by killing people. The title will almost always go to someone. Even if you wipe out the entire royal dynasty, it'll just go up along the family tree until it finds some other vaguely related dynasty to go to. Even with console commands, it's not really practical to wipe out every possible heir to a title.

The way you break up countries isn't by destroying the top title - that's basically impossible. Instead, you do what you can to create a situation where the vassals can rebel. For the most part, that just means to stab people until a weak or incompetent ruler (such as a child, an invalid, or a lunatic) ends up on the throne, and then sit back and wait until their vassals start rebelling. Revolts are exactly what you want to happen - the turmoil they cause weakens the ruler, and can even give you opportunities to conquer pieces of the country without going to war with the liege.

If you're using console commands, just destroy the title. It'll turn all the direct vassals independent, and they'll revert to whatever their next highest title is.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My Anglosaxon reconquest has slowed due to the fact that I won a crusade for the Holy Land and have to deal with the Fatamids.

It's been 20 years and a new king has inherited. The duchies of the KoJ are ruled by brothers who are mediocre. I'd give one of them the throne so I can concentrate on Britain, but I feel like the Fatamids will destroy them immediately if I do.

I noticed the Templars have two baronies there. Is giving them the Kingdom a good idea? Grandmasters are usually quite capable. What are the odds my brothers don't rebel?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can the mods please ban people openly using console commands and still asking for help. It’s loving disgusting and pathetic.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can the mods please ban people openly using console commands and still asking for help. It’s loving disgusting and pathetic.

It Is A Video Game My Dude

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MaxieSatan posted:

It Is A Video Game My Dude

I’m not your loving dude, bro

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Mods please ban everyone who posts in this thread. We are all monsters who marry our sisters and eat our children.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Various Meat Products posted:

Mods please ban everyone who posts in this thread. We are all monsters who marry our sisters and eat our children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFF3F92o_2s

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

1066 Spain can be a thunder dome, with holy wars and claims. I find it fun, but sometimes an assassination event doesn't fire or poo poo just doesn't roll your way and things can end badly quickly.

1066 Duchess of Matilda in Tuscany (part of the HRE) is a solid start. You can become a problem for the HRE very quickly. You can unite Italy and break off, or take over the HRE from the inside.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

How the gently caress is dueling calculated in this game? I’ve got a rival in a 54 year old minor vassal with 8 Martial who keeps trying to gently caress my wife. I’m a 24 year old Viking Berserker with a goddamn 29 martial (48 realm martial) and this fucker just wounded me. I think I’ve won one duel in the 8 or so that I’ve tried in this save file

e: AND THE DUEL WAS DISHONORABLE?? Fuuuck

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 29, 2018

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Q-sixtysix posted:

How the gently caress is dueling calculated in this game? I’ve got a rival in a 54 year old minor vassal with 8 Martial who keeps trying to gently caress my wife. I’m a 24 year old Viking Berserker with a goddamn 29 martial (48 realm martial) and this fucker just wounded me. I think I’ve won one duel in the 8 or so that I’ve tried in this save file

e: AND THE DUEL WAS DISHONORABLE?? Fuuuck

Dueling depends on personal combat skill and not martial skill. It should tell you your personal combat skill when you hover over an icon next to your traits bar.

I dont really know how dueling works in the current engine beyond that though, since I never really do it. The dueling changes in holy fury are gonna be really interesting.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Among the really minor things that I wish they would add to the game is a huge malus for attacking someone's lands while they were away on Crusade.

That was regarded as a deeply lovely thing to do.

I'm both looking forward to the new Crusade mechanics and not ... the way they work now is pretty bizarre but I will miss things like joining a Crusade, sieging down a couple provinces and then suddenly being the king of half of Spain.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The only time I have joined a crusade so far, I landed my guys in Rhodes while watching all the other blue stacks start to form up in Anatolia, and suddenly the war was over because the Seljuk sultan agreed to turn Catholic. I was really hoping to get some land there, or whatever else you’re usually supposed to get from joining in.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

The only in-game way of destroying top titles, that I know of, is calling in a Chinese invasion if you've got the Jade Dragon DLC. Lord knows I've used it often enough in the eastern half of the map, which tends to get dominated by Tibetan/Arabian/Indian megablobs.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The only time I have joined a crusade so far, I landed my guys in Rhodes while watching all the other blue stacks start to form up in Anatolia, and suddenly the war was over because the Seljuk sultan agreed to turn Catholic. I was really hoping to get some land there, or whatever else you’re usually supposed to get from joining in.

I hate it so much when they convert at the last minute like that :argh:. Especially since I know they're just pretending to convert and they know I only want their land and don't actually give a gently caress about their religion.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so holy fury is going to fix persians and give them 'immortals' heavy infantry retinue instead of the poo poo awful horse archers, right?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Now with the knowledge I know I started a iron man game (no console command either) in a game around China with two vessel and a capital. Going to try to get the big country near me happy while I work on the one or two size countries near me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rirse posted:

Now with the knowledge I know I started a iron man game (no console command either) in a game around China with two vessel and a capital. Going to try to get the big country near me happy while I work on the one or two size countries near me.

Never be afraid to make yourself a vassal and mess with a stronger ruler from the inside. If they have discontent vassals you might what it takes to push an independence faction over the edge.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My daughter came of age and I married her off to a guy I didn't notice had the seduction focus. A year or so later I get a notification that he roped my daughter into trying to seduce my wife. So I switched to war focus and killed him in a duel. My daughter refused to come back to court though because she'd had a kid and was his regent. So I had the kid murdered and when she came back I took her as my concubine, because Zoroastrians. Then it turned out my wife cheated on me with somebody else, so I threw her in the dungeon, divorced her, and married my daughter.

I don't think it even makes Top 10 in the weirdest poo poo I've ever done/seen in this game. :allears:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah current game is way better and I generally using the advice in the thread. Daughter getting married to the big country to the east so I can get them to be my ally so I can probably take out the smallish country near me with three lands but a really weak military. I took one vessel out already whom just had nothing at all.

I am figuring the best tip before fighting to check their ruler page to see how many levies they have and if they got lot of money and allies, right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rirse posted:

I am figuring the best tip before fighting to check their ruler page to see how many levies they have and if they got lot of money and allies, right?

Also check their prestige and piety as well because sometimes they can use them to pull armies out of their own rear end.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

McGavin posted:

Also check their prestige and piety as well because sometimes they can use them to pull armies out of their own rear end.

That's only for tribal realms though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

The only in-game way of destroying top titles, that I know of, is calling in a Chinese invasion if you've got the Jade Dragon DLC. Lord knows I've used it often enough in the eastern half of the map, which tends to get dominated by Tibetan/Arabian/Indian megablobs.

There is a game rule you can set that will destroy empire and kingdom titles after a certain period of time if the holder and their vassals don't actually control any of the de jure territory for the title. If it is just a megablob though, yeah the best you can do is either have the Chinese crush them, or hope for some kind of internal schism that splits them up.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay playing over in Tibet sucked because it takes forever to move around. I had a ally who kept asking me to help them, but had some rear end in a top hat revolt and couldn't fight back so that save is over.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I did an uh oh and continued to have babies after my agnatic-cognatic gavelkind genius daughter was born. I ended up marrying her off to Snake-in-the-eye's kid and just to rub it in she produced three genius girls back to back to back:

It's like the game knows when I gently caress up. She's pregnant with her fourth kid I bet it'll be a strong genius or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

My Anglosaxon reconquest has slowed due to the fact that I won a crusade for the Holy Land and have to deal with the Fatamids.

It's been 20 years and a new king has inherited. The duchies of the KoJ are ruled by brothers who are mediocre. I'd give one of them the throne so I can concentrate on Britain, but I feel like the Fatamids will destroy them immediately if I do.

I noticed the Templars have two baronies there. Is giving them the Kingdom a good idea? Grandmasters are usually quite capable. What are the odds my brothers don't rebel?

Any opinion on this idea?

• Locked thread