Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wheat Loaf posted:

After R2 runs off looking for Obi-Wan, C-3PO hides in the corner because he's afraid Luke will beat him.

It's too bad. If things had gone differently for him he could have been employed by the Trade Federation and he would have been treated well.

Literally the first thing the Trade Federation does in TPM is send Silver C3PO to the Jedi because they are afraid of getting Jedi'ed to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

Literally the first thing the Trade Federation does in TPM is send Silver C3PO to the Jedi because they are afraid of getting Jedi'ed to death.

That was a legitimate political act - they knew that the Jedi were bigoted against droids so they were essentially insulting them by sending a droid to serve them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was a legitimate political act - they knew that the Jedi were bigoted against droids so they were essentially insulting them by sending a droid to serve them.

They expressed fear of being tortured, so they sent someone they didn't mind being tortured. This is made explicit in a comedic scene where both Trade Federation representatives turn to the droid and the droid visibly goes "welp, gently caress!" She is very aware that she might die, and her survival is played for laughs when she emerges from the chamber.

Edit: Also, the Jedi didn't give two shits about droids. "Bigoted" is a hilarious misinterpretation on how the Jedi view them. They just don't care.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 28, 2018

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Cnut the Great posted:

[Re: Dune] I'm not sure how you could meaningfully deconstruct the hero's journey as presented by Campbell without fundamentally denying individual human agency.

The (original) Dune series is about exactly that, though? Paul goes on a traditional Hero's Journey in the first novel, but then succumbs to a prescience trap in the second:

He's seen his own future completely, including the "choices" he will make when the time comes... meaning he has no choice. As Emperor he already holds sway over all humanity. As a prescient Emperor he would eliminate choice and agency for all humanity. So in his last moments of being able to choose anything before he locks himself on a path he's already seen to the end, he abdicates and gives himself up to the desert. He spends the rest of his life as a heretic, preaching against all he achieved. Literally deconstructing his own Hero's Journey, while losing agency.

Leto II literally denies agency to all of humanity (and himself) for 1500 years, that's the premise of God Emperor.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

galagazombie posted:

Have you seen the News lately? One of the most studied and funded fields these days is creating AI's that act and think human but won't be actually free-willed.

The sex robots are going to be amazing

Discounts will be available with Amazon Prime

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is just shameful:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1045756296002187264

On the bright side, we get to laugh at bad Star Wars films for the next three years.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jedi certainly express the prevailing culture's bigotry against droids, but why would they be insulted to be served by a droid? Serving's what (they believe) droids are for. The thing that rustles their jimmies on the Trade Federation ship is that they're being made to wait a very long time.

If a droid's programming could make a droid obedient, there would be no need for any of the other clearly depicted means of making droids obey.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slutitution posted:

This is just shameful:

On the bright side, we get to laugh at bad Star Wars films for the next three years.

Why not enjoy the good ones instead?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Slutitution posted:

This is just shameful:

I thought you'd be happy, if they got rid of her you'd have to find another woman involved in the making of Star Wars films to blame for their failings.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I don't think I ever heard Kennedy's name mentioned before Last Jedi came out. Force Awakens came out, everyone liked it; Rogue One came out, everyone liked it; and all the time, nobody ever said anything about Kathleen Kennedy. I'm not sure why it's only come out all of a sudden with Last Jedi. Surely they'd reserve the blame to Johnson if they didn't like it when Kennedy was producing the movies they liked already?

In any event, Kathleen Kennedy will never produce another movie as good as Congo, so that's that.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought you'd be happy, if they got rid of her you'd have to find another woman involved in the making of Star Wars films to blame for their failings.

No, it's fine. Kelly Marie Tran isn't quitting. :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Force Awakens came out, everyone liked it

Nah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"Everyone" is exaggeration, of course, and perhaps opinions of it have changed in the interim, but I don't think it is controversial to say that the reception was positive in the majority when it was released. The point remains.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Surely we all know that more star wars fans liked TFA than disliked it. This is so clearly obvious that nothing needs to be done to substantiate such a claim. Merely making the claim is enough.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
force awakens was received positively at first but i remember nothing but derision for rogue one

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

force awakens was received positively at first but i remember nothing but derision for rogue one

Should have been the other way around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Surely we all know that more star wars fans liked TFA than disliked it. This is so clearly obvious that nothing needs to be done to substantiate such a claim. Merely making the claim is enough.

Indeed so - consider how much of the more pedestrian criticism of Last Jedi turns on dissatisfaction with how it followed up the mysteries Abrams introduced (or was imagined to have introduced vis-a-vis the question of Snoke's backstory) in the preceding movie.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I recall Rogue One being well-received. At least anecdotally, I remember when I saw it in the theatre, my dad (who I consider to be a reasonably benchmark for the "average moviegoer") was gushing about how much better than Force Awakens it was and that's a sentiment I saw repeated subsequently. I don't know if people have changed their minds about it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

Why not enjoy the good ones instead?

I enjoyed Rogue One.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course it goes without saying that Kennedy will probably leave anyway after Episode IX bombs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recall Rogue One being well-received. At least anecdotally, I remember when I saw it in the theatre, my dad (who I consider to be a reasonably benchmark for the "average moviegoer") was gushing about how much better than Force Awakens it was and that's a sentiment I saw repeated subsequently. I don't know if people have changed their minds about it.

i just remember a lot of people going it was too bleak or too long which i find to be dumb arguments anyway so if it was just me being in a closed sphere and not popular opinion thats all fine then

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Slutitution posted:

This is just shameful:

kennedy being gone wouldn't change anything

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
My best guess is that the new Star Wars being poo poo has little to do with Kathleen Kennedy either personally or professionally, but a lot to do with the various incentives in play when you’re a multinational media conglomerate in a capitalist hellscape.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course it goes without saying that Kennedy will probably leave anyway after Episode IX bombs.

Ah yes, I forgot that you can see the future and know that a movie that comes out over a year from now has bombed

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Ah yes, I forgot that you can see the future and know that a movie that comes out over a year from now has bombed

It is admittedly possible that I could turn out to be wrong (and my view may evolve over the coming year) but I doubt it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

galagazombie posted:

Have you seen the News lately? One of the most studied and funded fields these days is creating AI's that act and think human but won't be actually free-willed. We're obviously far off from making our own C-3PO but you can see it heading there.

You’re ignoring that there a whole host of debates going on about robot ethics concurrently with AI development that nobody has any good answers to, which is okay because we’re nowhere close creating to human-like intelligence, nor to understanding how the human minds emerge.

Your argument is basically that if you manage to trap a human mind in a body they have no control over that isn’t slavery, when it sounds to me like the worst kind of slavery.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The hottest of takes. :golfclap:

Brother Entropy posted:

kennedy being gone wouldn't change anything

They would still be overproduced trash, yes; however, getting rid of her would undoubtedly improve the current failing business model of the Disney Star Wars films by reinvigorating faith in the series. TLJ and SOLO: A Star Wars Disaster have illustrated a blatant downward spiral for the franchise, with the latter becoming the first outright flop in Star Wars history—it's amazing to me how they extended her contract after that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Might have something to do with the overwhelmingly positive reception to TLJ, and the fact that Solo's shortcomings aren't entirely the fault of the film itself, but rather the release calendar and marketing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slutitution posted:

They would still be overproduced trash, yes; however, getting rid of her would undoubtedly improve the current failing business model of the Disney Star Wars films by reinvigorating faith in the series.

oh no

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How many more women must be sacrificed to rekindle the faith of the lost.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Might have something to do with the overwhelmingly positive reception to TLJ, and the fact that Solo's shortcomings aren't entirely the fault of the film itself, but rather the release calendar and marketing

euphronius posted:

How many more women must be sacrificed to rekindle the faith of the lost.

Laura Dern tried this in TLJ, and it failed spectacularly.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I believe people of all races colors and creeds should be allowed to make the bad films. This distinguishes me from kennedy, who only hires honkey men to direct them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In her defense she’s only chosen the director for 8 films, it’s a small sample size

Edit: Sorry, 10 films if you count the honkeys she hired and then fired

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 29, 2018

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

jivjov posted:

Let’s be real, if TLJ had actually had overwhelmingly positive audience reception, Solo would have certainly done better than it did, inauspicious release date notwithstanding.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nuh-uh, you guys, my counterfactual totally beats your counterfactual.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's gonna be okay, they're bringing out the heavyweight influencers online to bring solo into the black on home media sales

https://twitter.com/Kripparrian/status/1045822569176272896

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's gonna be okay, they're bringing out the heavyweight influencers online to bring solo into the black on home media sales

https://twitter.com/Kripparrian/status/1045822569176272896

Haha, Kripp soul seems to be dying just from playing Hearthstone, so I gotta watch him pretend to be excited about Solo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
can't wait for ep ix to bomb, a thing that will definitely happen because everyone pays attention to my nitpicky fandumbing on the internet

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If only there were some precedent for a star wars movie with nonexistent levels of excitement from core fans bombing

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Also, while racist/sexist animus is obviously abhorrent and moreover a stupid reason to hate a star wars movie (even if that movie is bad anyway), lol if you think people motivated by racist/sexist animus are a miniscule neckbeard minority with no purchasing power or influence in tyool 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard to quantify, but to give one example I feel pretty confident that alt-right people have long since eclipsed and dominated the jivjovian "if it says star wars on it I buy it and like it" crew as far as noteworthy subsets of the star wars audience go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cnut the Great posted:

His programming tells him he has to do what he's told. C-3PO never once disobeys an order in the entire series. He does lodge initial objections based on his default programming parameters, but he never makes a choice not to do what he's told. If this were an important theme, you'd think it would have been illustrated even once. Never once is a droid faced with the sort of deep, character-defining choice between good and evil that most of the main human characters are. He evinces emotions, sure, he can be angry with R2-D2 in one moment and sympathetic to him in another, but to have a range of programmed emotional states is just not the same as having a choice between fundamental natures. He feels cruel towards R2-D2 and so he acts cruelly towards him, he feels sympathetic so he acts sympathetically. A human being can feel cruel yet choose to act sympathetically, or feel sympathetic and choose to act cruelly, subordinating their emotional impulses to a higher order of consciousness. But C-3PO has only one nature, and we never see evidence of any other one which is fundamentally opposed yet fully within his grasp were he to make the choice. He never has a moment as Luke does at the conclusion of ROTJ, where we see clearly that Luke feels a consuming hatred for his father yet still manages to pull himself back toward a better nature through sheer force of will.

R2-D2 comes the closest to demonstrating what you're arguing for when he deceives and disobeys Luke, but even he is operating according to the idea that he is the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi on a secret mission for the Rebel Alliance. Never is there any legitimate transfer of sovereignty from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke and thus R2-D2's primary directive takes precedence. R2-D2's devotion is of course remarkable, but that is just how he is. R2-D2 has no hidden dark side. He is a hero by nature and he can be none other than a hero. Whereas someone like Luke Skywalker has made a choice to be a hero, and if he so wishes, can make a choice to be a villain, R2-D2 is never presented as anything other than what he is. At no point is R2-D2's fundamental nature brought into question in the way you would expect if these questions were central to the narrative.

So droids - fictional representations of technology, by your reckoning - are childlike, impulsive beings ruled by their emotions and incapable of using logic and discipline to overrule their baser instincts. Because of this, morally it's appropriate that they have no rights and are subject to the harshest discipline should they ever step out of line.