Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

More like... Dork Souls (You are the dorks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poverty goat posted:

lol. retard.

you, sir, are a grade A simpleton. retire at once to your mediocre trappings and shame this thread no longer. :tipshat:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
witcher 3 combat feels like a natural progression from the previous games in the series :shrug:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

is pepsi ok posted:

I quit playing Persona 5 because I went through like an hour and a half stretch of nothing but dialogue. I seriously played it 3 nights in a row and didn't get into a single battle.

this is like being mad that you went to a Michael Bay movie and had to sit through too many explosions for your liking

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

a bone to pick posted:

witcher 3 combat feels like a natural progression from the previous games in the series :shrug:

In that the further back you go the worse it gets?

In fairness I didn't hate Witcher 1's rhythm based combat as much as I thought I would.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sardonik posted:

pretty much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Witcher good. Witcher Combat stink

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love to strafe and repeatedly poke things in the butt over and over which is why Dark Souls is the perfect game for me.
I also love sniffing glue.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think witcher 3 combat is pretty enjoyable when you get used to it and quite fun when you get good at it, its a bit janky but i mean, its better than elder scrolls

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think witcher 3 combat is pretty enjoyable when you get used to it and quite fun when you get good at it, its a bit janky but i mean, its better than elder scrolls

It doesn't take much.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

It doesn't take much.

yeah but you don't get 14 autists writing paragraph screeds about elder scrolls combat whenever somebody says they like skyrim

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Burger Time is better than Pac Man.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

You can tell that the sword combat is supposed to mimic AA's melee combat but they just included the most basic elements of that system without including any of the bits that made it fun and interesting, and then they added some flourishes that make Geralt's moveset nondeterministic and weird.

Go play the games next to each other and see how eerily similar but lacking the W3 combat is. It's not a secret that the gameplay is not that game's strength, and that's okay

Never take game design advice / opinions from people who say things like "the moveset was nondeterministic", jfc.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sardonik posted:

In fairness I didn't hate Witcher 1's rhythm based combat as much as I thought I would.

Witcher 1 combat was basically a Diablo like button masher with an over the shoulder camera. It was perfectly fine. W2 combat was good too, until Dark SOuls came out and everybody became an overnight expert on what combat should look like in a game of a completely different genre and focus.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Well, Bethesda hasn't learned in cca 15 years to make an animation for when you hit an enemy, so they are a pretty bad benchmark.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the nondeterministic moveset was my favorite thing about w3 combat

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS
Fallout 4 is actually a pretty good game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is making me want to play New Vegas. I don't need hit animations when I'm being irresponsible with nuclear weapons.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The best genre is turn based tactical

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kmlkmljkl posted:

Fallout 4 is actually a pretty good game.

if it was called nuclear trash collector 1 it would have been an ok game but instead they set the bar much higher and fell short

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Vegetable posted:

turn based strategy > real time strategy for sure

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

It's shocking that nobody has even tried to make a Jagged Alliance successor yet, except for some Russian guy who made some terrible unplayable mess I don't remember the name of.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

oblivion was more fun than morrowind and skyrim despite the lovely leveling system also how the hell did everyone forget how to cast a spell while holding a weapon in skyrim

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bethesda still hasn't developed a single good game.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Redfall might be the first, though?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dead by Daylight is the most fun I've had playing a game in like 10 years, it loving owns.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

You can tell that the sword combat is supposed to mimic AA's melee combat but they just included the most basic elements of that system without including any of the bits that made it fun and interesting, and then they added some flourishes that make Geralt's moveset nondeterministic and weird.

Go play the games next to each other and see how eerily similar but lacking the W3 combat is. It's not a secret that the gameplay is not that game's strength, and that's okay

I have been playing both games recently, that's why it didn't make any sense to me. Sorry, I don't see it.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

steinrokkan posted:

It's shocking that nobody has even tried to make a Jagged Alliance successor yet, except for some Russian guy who made some terrible unplayable mess I don't remember the name of.

Was it Stalin vs Martians?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jack Trades posted:

Bethesda still hasn't developed a single good game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

oh dope posted:

Apparently it's called Cold Contract
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLedj4keR3I

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rutibex posted:

wrong! cutting the player off and trapping them in certain areas is a fantastic way to do level design and focus the player in a metroidvania. these games can get overwhelming if you leave too many branching paths open to the new player. super metriod does this to great effect, like the pit you fall down and can't get out until you find the Ice Beam

Eh, to a degree. I'm playing through Hollow Knight and the sparse travel points makes finding fast travel spots really satisfying and values the map system a lot. Not to mention it makes new areas very threatening. On the other hand, I just want to loving zap back to that one zone I completely finished and just collect the last grub just give me a bus or tram there and not make me walk through the entire zone.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just lol if you’re not zoom zoom dashing all over Hollow knights map.... just...lol

There’s even a charm for it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's too much wind in fantasy Poland!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Never take game design advice / opinions from people who say things like "the moveset was nondeterministic", jfc.

Don't complain about big words just because you don't understand what they mean lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

Don't complain about big words just because you don't understand what they mean lol

This post is gargantuan in its odiousness

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

oh dope posted:

I would play that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I would play that

Trust me, you wouldn't.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Trust me, you wouldn't.

oh. I didn't know it was a real game. I thought it was a joke

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
only 10 or 15 16 bit games are still fun to play for more than 15 minutes

Graphic fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 30, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Graphic posted:

only 10 or 15 16 bit games are still fun to play for more than 15 minutes

i think GBA counts as 16 bit. this is a very hard number to defend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Rutibex posted:

i think GBA counts as 16 bit. this is a very hard number to defend
Sounds about right for SNES/Genesis though. Even worthwhile ones like Super Metroid tend to feel a little clunky these days.