Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I had the same experience that you're describing a couple seasons ago too. Played all my placements as Lucio, placed Master, kept rolling asses with him. But I literally don't even see him in games anymore. Not in my games, not on streamers' games, nowhere. Like, I bet you can still do good things with him but I'm pretty sure he's objectively worse than many supports. I'd need to know what rank those games were in, but I just don't see him carrying currently.

Gotta say though, as someone who lost a leg to childhood cancer and attended cancer meetups, I never ran across an instance where the marginal difference between "cancerous" and "cancer" made any difference. I'm sorry if anyone in here has/had cancer and this is different, but I've gone 15 years without even a whisper about using "cancer" to describe bad things.

Not saying I won't change that habit. Just pointing out that the first place I ever got angrily corrected on it was on Somethingawful.com in a Heroes of the Storm thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Grimdude posted:

I had the same experience that you're describing a couple seasons ago too. Played all my placements as Lucio, placed Master, kept rolling asses with him. But I literally don't even see him in games anymore. Not in my games, not on streamers' games, nowhere. Like, I bet you can still do good things with him but I'm pretty sure he's objectively worse than many supports. I'd need to know what rank those games were in, but I just don't see him carrying currently.

Master, mostly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was terrified last game when I saw Fan on Maiev on the other team but he died 6 times and we won. Requeued and beat him again on zera this time.

Farming fan for MMR :getin:

(I expect to lose the rest of the games I have against him)

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Cishet White Dude with decent health here, but I've always taken that calling things cancer was just saying 'they are bad in a virus like way'. It acknowledges cancer is a bad thing. I don't think it's the same as calling something 'gay' as a pejorative, since there's nothing innately bad about being gay or gayness. I dunno, I wouldn't fight someone if I accidentally used it and they complained though, I can see it as 'belittling' a serious thing too. Calling something AIDS though to me seems to have underpinings of homophobia (eventhough AIDS is super inclusive and everyone can get it, it's progressive like that).

Actual game chat: Lucio to me is the annoyance strain of characters - Lili, Murky, Tracer, Genji. A big part of playing them is goading your opponent into making mistakes in trying to go after you, more specifically the 'kill the healer' idea.

Higher ranks, this strategy fails since people are smarter about not doing stupid poo poo like chasing Lucio across the map. They need numbers to compete now, and if they aren't up to par they fall out of fashion.

Murky is the embodiment of this. It's why he's a bit of a pubstomper but you never see him at HGC - pro players know how to deal with him and won't flip out at the chance to kill a Murky or take his bait.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Grimdude posted:

Gotta say though, as someone who lost a leg to childhood cancer and attended cancer meetups, I never ran across an instance where the marginal difference between "cancerous" and "cancer" made any difference. I'm sorry if anyone in here has/had cancer and this is different, but I've gone 15 years without even a whisper about using "cancer" to describe bad things.

Not saying I won't change that habit. Just pointing out that the first place I ever got angrily corrected on it was on Somethingawful.com in a Heroes of the Storm thread.

For my part at least it wasn't angry. I mean, you clearly have better say on it than I do. The closest I've been is my sister is a survivor. To me personally it just feels somewhat disrespectful, but it's not worth raging or flaming out over for sure. And even if I was angry, I realize I'm not going to change gaming slang with a one-woman crusade.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I agree with MoM. There's just better words to use. Sorry about your leg, Grimdude.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I actually did some mild research on this topic and found out that people have been discussing this general topic, and even explicitly the use of cancer to describe negative things, since at least the 70s (I found a book on the subject written by someone who had been diagnosed from that time: Illness as Metaphor.) So this isn't anything related to gaming or geekdom, and has been around for longer that almost anyone here has been alive. (I saw a quote in reference to Nazis using cancer similarly in the 30s to describe Jewish people.)

It is pretty clear that it is an international, multi-generational habit that has stuck around because of how cancer functions and how that can metaphorically relate to many things. It has been used as a more specific synonym for plague and disease, which are used in the exact same context, usually. There has been much debate and discussion about how using diseases as pejorative terms can be harmful to the afflicted, as well as society in general. I suggest people read up.

There is, however, the more modern usage, which is largely attributed to memes. That is the "_____ gave me cancer" usage and it's variants. I think we can all agree that this particular usage is probably the most disrespectful, as it actually intentionally makes light of actually having cancer, as opposed to the other, older usage, which specifically references the function cancerous diseases.

Someone already mentioned AIDS, but yeah, that is all around pretty bad because the entire usage is based on the negative stigma associated with AIDS/HIV to begin with.

This is way off topic, but I figured I would drop that info in here in case people wanted to do their own reading or whatever.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Hey, I’m stuck at work and need a distraction; anyone got a suggestion of a character to make a fake HotS build for?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Dire Human posted:

Hey, I’m stuck at work and need a distraction; anyone got a suggestion of a character to make a fake HotS build for?

Khadgar. Baal. King Mrgl-Mrgl.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Andariel. Rakanishu.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ToastyPotato posted:

I actually did some mild research on this topic and found out that people have been discussing this general topic, and even explicitly the use of cancer to describe negative things, since at least the 70s (I found a book on the subject written by someone who had been diagnosed from that time: Illness as Metaphor.) So this isn't anything related to gaming or geekdom, and has been around for longer that almost anyone here has been alive. (I saw a quote in reference to Nazis using cancer similarly in the 30s to describe Jewish people.)

It is pretty clear that it is an international, multi-generational habit that has stuck around because of how cancer functions and how that can metaphorically relate to many things. It has been used as a more specific synonym for plague and disease, which are used in the exact same context, usually. There has been much debate and discussion about how using diseases as pejorative terms can be harmful to the afflicted, as well as society in general. I suggest people read up.

There is, however, the more modern usage, which is largely attributed to memes. That is the "_____ gave me cancer" usage and it's variants. I think we can all agree that this particular usage is probably the most disrespectful, as it actually intentionally makes light of actually having cancer, as opposed to the other, older usage, which specifically references the function cancerous diseases.

Someone already mentioned AIDS, but yeah, that is all around pretty bad because the entire usage is based on the negative stigma associated with AIDS/HIV to begin with.

This is way off topic, but I figured I would drop that info in here in case people wanted to do their own reading or whatever.

IIRC there's a study somewhere (I'm only talking about it and not linking it because I can't find the drat thing) that details how the modern usage of "cancer" as "this is a bad thing" was originally on the way out, but then a scene from Futurama caused a major resurgance.

Dire Human posted:

Hey, I'm stuck at work and need a distraction; anyone got a suggestion of a character to make a fake HotS build for?
Pit Lord

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Mind over Matter posted:

Khadgar. Baal. King Mrgl-Mrgl.

Baal, the most reckless of the Evils, is a ruthless combo character that dominates his space with powerful area attacks.

Trait - Lord of Destruction: Enemies damaged by your Basic Abilities are cursed, taking 5% additional damage from you for 6 sec. Stacks up to 3 times.
Q - Hoarfrost: Sends a wave of ice from a point towards a target direction, dealing damage and sliding enemies in its wake. Enemies at the tip of the wave take additional damage and are stunned for 1 sec.
W - Festering Appendage: Launches a rotting tentacle forward, dealing damage to the first enemy it hits. If it hits an enemy, its cooldown is reduced to 2 sec.
E - Incineration Nova: Blasts a wave of fire in all directions, dealing damage. Deals 25% additional damage to enemies in a Melee range.
R1 - Decrepify: Curses an enemy, reducing their Spell Power by 30% and slowing them by 50% for 4 sec.
R2 - Lister the Tormentor: Unleashes the Tormentor in the target direction, trampling enemies in its path and stunning them for 1.5 sec.

Edit: Hilariously enough if you tweak this kit and give Incineration Nova some armor he’d make a pretty decent Tank

Dire Human fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 30, 2018

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Now do one for Kyle

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dr. Boom

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dire Human posted:

Bowsette

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

doverhog posted:

Andariel. Rakanishu.

Andariel, Maiden of Anguish, is a relentless Melee Assassin that weaves in and out of foes and spreads poison in her wake.

Trait - Anguishing Poison: Activate to poison your next 2 Basic Attacks or Basic Abilities, causing them to deal an additional 20% damage over 3 sec. While poisoned, your enemies cannot move faster than 90% of their base movement speed.
Q - Whirling Step: Jump forward a short distance, dealing damage to enemies around her during the jump.
W - Acid Spray: Spray a caustic burst in a cone, dealing damage and blinding enemies for 1.5 sec.
E - Bedevil: Summons a pair of insects that slowly follow their target, dealing area damage if they reach their target.
R1 - Venom Injection: Leap onto a nearby enemy and deal a large amount of damage over 3 seconds. If the target dies during this time they explode, dealing the remaining amount of damage to all nearby enemies.
R2 - Feed Upon Suffering: Send out a wave of anguish in all directions, dealing damage and automatically applying Anguishing Poison to enemies hit. Passive: Damage that applies Anguishing Poison is increased by 20%.

No Wave posted:

Bowsette

Dire Human fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 30, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

:five:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Tempostorm is pulling out some wild drafts right now in HGC vs Team Freedom and the stakes are very high: The winner goes to Blizzcon where they'll get a minimum of $7500 in prize money and the loser stays home. First game they brought out tyrande, uther, xul, dehaka, and valla, second game is now tyrande, uther, valla, kerrigan (old kerrigan), and illidan.

edit: start of first draft

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 30, 2018

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I haven't played in a while and was looking through hotslogs - why are blaze and genji at the bottom of win % right now did they eat some hard nerfs recently?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yes but I think blaze has gone up a few percent.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Gobbeldygook posted:

Tempostorm is pulling out some wild drafts right now in HGC vs Team Freedom and the stakes are very high: The winner goes to Blizzcon where they'll get a minimum of $7500 in prize money and the loser stays home. First game they brought out tyrande, uther, xul, dehaka, and valla, second game is now tyrande, uther, valla, kerrigan (old kerrigan), and illidan.

edit: start of first draft

Good on them for calling out Blizzard for the current state of the game in the postgame too

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Camel Camus posted:

I haven't played in a while and was looking through hotslogs - why are blaze and genji at the bottom of win % right now did they eat some hard nerfs recently?

Because they've been eating nerfs and are only really good in the hands of a talented player.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Midnightghoul posted:

Good on them for calling out Blizzard for the current state of the game in the postgame too

What happened? Brand New baby so a bit tough to watch streams at the moment

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The quote was "tanks are trash". I don't really know how this all started... They sort of had a double support Uther tank in two of the games, then Arthas and Anubarak in the other games which doesn't seem especially dire. It seems more like they really wanted to run double support Tyrande and running a traditional tank as well as two supports would put them too behind in wave clear so they skipped it for two of their drafts. That doesn't seem like a huge problem and we know Tyrande is too strong right now so idk.

This seems preferable to always seeing exactly two of Diablo, Muradin, Johanna, and Garrosh and it's only recently that people started thinking those were the only tanks in the game, this is kind of a return to normal imo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 1, 2018

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
A lot of the HGC tank and offlane players are extremely frustrated by the staleness of the tank meta coming into Blizzcon, and the fact that no main tank has been released for an extremely long period. Offlane meta is also extremely boring whereas it has turned into a far less active style of play. These issues were sort of magnified in a recent AMA where devs seemed kind of flummoxed as to what a main tank needs to be and why people had an issue with the non-active offlane meta.

I'm not sure how vocal the Korea and EU players have been about it, but I know Cattle, Justing, and a lot of the NA tanks and offlane pros have been very active in complaining about the state of tanks and bruisers lately

I think a big problem for Blizzard right now across multiple games (HotS, WoW, little bit of HS too) is that they are developing with a clear idea of how they want the game to be played, but not really recognizing how the game actually is played, or adjusting to the problems that surface with that.

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 1, 2018

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Never change Kerrigan. I got two mega kills in one match and I can never go back.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Honestly the solo-lane meta is worse than tanks. Tank meta staleness is mostly a factor of lot of the off-meta tanks not really being bad, but needing some relatively small modernization and adjustments. Solo-lane staleness is a product of structural shortcomings in the laning mechanics. There's no real reason to ever play aggressively in the off lane; the risk/reward balance is too bad. That's also why heroes like Yrel can dominate the solo lane right now: she's one of the safest heroes in the game, so you can actually play aggressively without seriously risking losing the lane.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone got good tips for stacking Nazeebo's trait? Am I right to say that his basic attacks plus any of his abilities apply the DOT to minions and count for the quest? I take it the only way its feasible to get near 175 by 20 is to rotate 2 lanes like mad? And also assume that on two lane maps its never viable to try to get 175.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

just spider every wave. Should be easy to do on a three lane map.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone got good tips for stacking Nazeebo's trait? Am I right to say that his basic attacks plus any of his abilities apply the DOT to minions and count for the quest? I take it the only way its feasible to get near 175 by 20 is to rotate 2 lanes like mad? And also assume that on two lane maps its never viable to try to get 175.

Oh man had a Nazeebo with 30 stacks at level 20 on Hanamura and took Vile Infection anyways. I had a hearty laugh.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'm not sure where the idea came from, but a month or so back Team Octalysis started using Xul as a main tank with Medivh. It's kind of grown from there, and with armor stacking and shields in organized play there are a lot of heroes that can play a MT role better than most actual tanks. Xul was the first one, but there have been a few others, and MT Uther is becoming more and more common. Octalysis won a game with MT Maiev on Saturday. Basically, with any hero with decent CC and at least a melee assassin's HP you can make them into a tank with the correct heroes around them (Medivh, Tassadar, Yrel, etc) by taking advantage of stacking armor buffs and the fact that the armor also works on shields.

Word is the new Kerrigan is hilariously broken in this respect because she already gets a crazy amount of shielding just from her normal playstyle, and if you add an effective permanent +35 armor to that from Yrel and/or some of the other AOE armor bonuses and shields that are out there, she's virtually immortal AND able to wipe teams without breaking a sweat.

You can't just go into an HL draft and tank with Xul, but with coordination and a bit of practice most teams should be able to, and it just gives you that much more DPS and waveclear without sacrificing anything.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kaesarsosei posted:

No Wave posted:

just spider every wave. Should be easy to do on a three lane map.

To expand upon this, your spider jar immediately poisons those hit with its AOE, then the spiders will spread to the remaining if the wave melts. If you're in a 3-lane map, you should leave as soon as you think your minions can finish them off, remembering that his trait lasts 6 seconds, so really you can drop poo poo & jet. Your biggest obstacles are if your teammates don't save minions while you're trying to rotate.

I pretty much only pick Naz on Volskaya and Tomb, so not sure about 2 lane maps.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Team Freedom ran main tank blaze a couple of times over the weekend and it looked pretty good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

no - blaze will fundamentally never work as a main tank, that's what I read online.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

No Wave posted:

no - blaze will fundamentally never work as a main tank, that's what I read online.

You could say that about Xul, Maiev, and Kerrigan too, and you'd be wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What I'm saying is, it really makes me lose faith in the devs for them to think blaze would ever be playable as a main tank.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

There are 7 minions in a wave and a wave comes every 30 seconds, in just one lane you can get 175 stacks in 12 and a half minutes if you get your trait on every minion in every wave. Getting 175 stacks should not be very difficult if you focus on it and are careful about how you use your abilities and autos.

Key requirements:
1) Don't Die
2) Don't Die
3) Make sure your team knows how to stall until 20. Nazeebo is not particularly good on maps with snowball objectives like Braxis or on maps like Sky Temple where the team with structure advantage can most of the time stall out to the win by always trading temples.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

garthoneeye posted:

3) Make sure your team knows how to stall until 20. Nazeebo is not particularly good on maps with snowball objectives like Braxis or on maps like Sky Temple where the team with structure advantage can most of the time stall out to the win by always trading temples.

What maps would you say don't snowball with objectives? I gather you'd include Sky Temple, and there's Towers of Doom, but are there any others?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dragon shire is a good one imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

unpronounceable posted:

What maps would you say don't snowball with objectives? I gather you'd include Sky Temple, and there's Towers of Doom, but are there any others?

The worry with Nazeebo is that you lose before 20 or that you are so behind when you reach 20 that Nazeebo’s power spike can’t save you. Spider Queen, Cursed Hallow, and Dragon Shire don’t have hugely powerful objectives. Battlefield and Shrines you can normally defend well enough or Nazeebo is helpful enough at the objective that you should be able to reach 20 and still be able to win.

The big worries are Braxis and Volskaya because both maps can end really quickly if you lose the objective hard.