Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Free Drinks posted:

I don't really know what would happen when watching this on LSD.
It's pretty sweet.

Though I had seen the film previously so I knew what was coming, which definitely helped. A friend who hadn't seen it said that it got to be a bit much, but the overwhelming prettiness of everything kind of anchored her. Everyone at the party agreed that the shot of Mandy's face being overlayed onto Jeremiah's was the most unnerving thing about the entire experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My take on whether the Black Skulls were demons or just human bikers who went nuts is that it was a bit of both?

If you look at Beyond the Black Rainbow, there's precedent for the idea that Panos makes movies in which unethical science, complex occult theological frameworks, and experimental, wildly unsafe psychedelic drugs can shunt a person's psyche into the Lovecraftian realms of Knowledge and Contact Man Must Not Have Without Shattering, and Also You Bring It Back With You. The idea that the occult-minded psychonaut must go into the impossible places and bring some back within them is not dissimilar from a lot of occult sprituality initiates.

In BtBR, Barry has his soul scalded away in the motherload ritual, and comes back with something inside him that Was Not Barry and becomes less and less human over time, up until that entity only feels comfortable taking off its "appliances" and living as a serpent eyed, hairless nosferatu in a leather bodysuit, murdering with a gleaming, fluidly designed silver dagger with a weird name of import.

I think the bikers had something similar happen. the drugs hollowed and narrowed them, and made room for Something Worse to slither into the bodies they once occupied.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I love the face Cage pulls at the end when he sees Mandy in the car.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Drunkboxer posted:

I love the face Cage pulls at the end when he sees Mandy in the car.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmb0nySkG8&t=39s

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What was up with the cazador that they stung Mandy with?
Just so the toxin would gently caress her up even more?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That's awesome. I hadn't made the connection.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Inzombiac posted:

What was up with the cazador that they stung Mandy with?
Just so the toxin would gently caress her up even more?

Yeah, just more drugs. I'm pretty confident it was there just to bring even more otherworldly things in. Make you question if that bee thing had anything to do with all the extra craziness or the super LSD or what. Kinda a red haring, kinda true, type thing. Since it is pretty gnarly looking.

I thought that face was loving awesome, but I hate the cut from it to the shot with the camera being in front of the car as it pans up for the vary last shot. There's the shot of him looking to the side with that hosed up smile, turns forward and the smile fades leaving just has a hosed up look with his mouth open, but then it cuts and his face is just a normal minor scowl type thing. Super minor, but it stood out to me.

I think I love this movie because it fulfills so many promises I felt other movies made but didn't. Maybe these movies don't really have that much in common, but how I built them up in my head they do. Hobo with a Shotgun was just so mean spirited even if it included neat demon bikers. The Void (not Enter the Void) ended up not having enough substance. It was close to great with some really hosed up imagery, but 90 min was not nearly long enough to do what it was trying to do. Beyond the Black Rainbow was too cool of a burn for me and honestly didn't get weird enough.

But this. God drat, this. I didn't even know about it until 5 days before it came out.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 28, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yess. It somehow almost makes it a happy ending.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite gag: the Chemist turning off the soundtrack

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Watched this last night. The trailer made it look like a movie tailor made for me and it did not disappoint!

As has been said the visuals and score are fantastic. An aspect I particularly liked was the way that Red journeys further and further into the realm of fantasy as he went on his revenge quest. by the time he's approaching the church he's riding through lonely canyons on a four wheeler with a battle axe strapped to his back like some kind of knight riding through the wilderness into battle.

The last shot of the film reinforces this. Red exists completely in the kind of fantasy that Mandy reads and draws.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Flying Zamboni posted:

The last shot of the film reinforces this. Red exists completely in the kind of fantasy that Mandy reads and draws.

To honor her he becomes a figure of her fantasies (desires?). I like it.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My favorite gag: the Chemist turning off the soundtrack

Bye Lizzie

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 29, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Could anyone tell what the demon biker says before Red shoves him into the burning car?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Pirate Jet posted:

Could anyone tell what the demon biker says before Red shoves him into the burning car?

"She's still burning!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

"She's still burning!

:aaa: Yikes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Spatulater bro! posted:

To honor her he becomes a figure of her fantasies (desires?). I like it.

I took that more as, you know, couples inhabiting their own worlds that only have significance to each other. Red saw the world through Mandy's eyes, the drugs just made his perceptions literal.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This is one of the few movies I've seen where the trailer is actually a pretty accurate depiction of what you're in for. It helps that most of the trailer's scenes are in the same order they appear in the movie AND all of the music comes right from the score. I'm reminded of the excellent, gorgeous theatrical trailer for Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain. I must have watched that trailer two dozen times before I finally saw the movie and was not disappointed. Same thing here.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Noooooooooooooo. I finally put it together where I knew Linus Roache from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf4v-3JdE6I

Now i can't separate it. Boooooo Dick Wolf. BOOOOOOO.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

I came here to post about this similarity. It's weird that Red is mirroring Barry here, since Barry is much closer to Jeremiah of course.

Barry: "You're doing so good."

Jeremiah: "Never, ever doubt yourself."

Both are egomaniacs who consider themselves to have cosmic power and significance.

I really want to do a double feature and find some more common threads.

Mandy is the first time I have got baked before going to the theatre. Totally worth spilling bong water in my car for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blisster posted:

Totally worth spilling bong water in my car for.

protip: next time, bring a hand pipe

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

protip: next time, bring a hand pipe

This would obviously be better, but mine broke.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Free Drinks posted:

Noooooooooooooo. I finally put it together where I knew Linus Roache from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf4v-3JdE6I

Now i can't separate it. Boooooo Dick Wolf. BOOOOOOO.

In my case, I recognized Roache pretty quickly. I've always thought he was just so-so as an actor, and a weaker replacement for Waterston on L&O, but now I'll never look at him the same after Mandy. In a movie full of good stuff, his performance is the highlight for me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Saw it in a theater today. In many ways loved the experience, but I was pretty frustrated by the way Mandy's death was handled. Her character seemed way too interesting to throw away, and unless I missed something there was never any clear indicator in the moment that the body they burned was definitely Mandy's. Between that and Red's dream visions of her, it seemed like the movie was setting up for the possibility of her being alive somehow. Even if she had to be dead, I wish we got to see more of her spiritual presence affecting Red from beyond the grave.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Martman posted:

Saw it in a theater today. In many ways loved the experience, but I was pretty frustrated by the way Mandy's death was handled. Her character seemed way too interesting to throw away, and unless I missed something there was never any clear indicator in the moment that the body they burned was definitely Mandy's. Between that and his dream visions of her, it seemed like the movie was setting up for the possibility of her being alive somehow. Even if she had to be dead, I wish we got to see more of her spiritual presence affecting Red from beyond the grave.

It's pretty tenuous but there are a few hints to suggest the entire film could be understood as Mandy making up an elaborate fantasy about Red; the movie itself strongly resembles the kind of tragic/edgy fantasy novel she's reading in the beginning, and at the very end of the film you see Red driving through a landscape identical to the one in her painting. Even if it isn't to be taken literally, there's still a sense that she shaped him into what he is, both in their life and in her death.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm down with that explanation, but it still leaves me wanting in terms of her literal existence in the movie. I think I was separately just not that into her death scene; for all the insanity of the movie, the scene of her being burned seemed more... mundanely, realistically depressing? In an almost boring way. Yes, it's horrible, but Mandy was clearly a badass too, and it felt like she got fridged.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I thought it was really good and strong that Mandy's last appearance is powerfully laughing at Jeremiah's dick and the memory isn't corrupted by leering shots of her screaming in pain etc.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
A lot of other movies would stick to filming her death scene in a voyeuristic way and do all the closeups and make it this whole thing about titillating the audience or whatever crap, but Mandy goes out on her own terms and doesn't give the audience any satisfaction or entertainment in her death, which is directly contrasted with Red orgasmically murdering people on screen with huge gore for the second half of the movie.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Your Parents posted:

A lot of other movies would stick to filming her death scene in a voyeuristic way and do all the closeups and make it this whole thing about titillating the audience or whatever crap, but Mandy goes out on her own terms and doesn't give the audience any satisfaction or entertainment in her death, which is directly contrasted with Red orgasmically murdering people on screen with huge gore for the second half of the movie.

Spoilers

Really

I also appreciated the way Panos handled both not making it titillation but also not trying to hammer in the guilt of seeing what you are seeing so hard that it distracts you from the film. It is a powerful and disturbing scene, but it doesn't show contempt for its audience.

That scene I think is Cage's best part because, god drat, his screaming in silence is so brutal in a film with a lot of brutal things. The quite of the scene really sells it for me, where almost all diegetic sound is cut out and we are left with ethereal tones as we see the cult watch, but when we have Red's and Mandy's view its that horrible, grinding guitar that gives way to a hollow whine. My biggest complaint with the scene is Brother Swan interrupting the silence with his "the darker the flame, the darker the whore". While it's a useful bit of developing Swan, showing him probably being the worst out of the bunch for his willingness to do the most heinous acts, I feel it does cut in the scene negatively.

But seriously, Red's silent scream is unbelievably haunting.

I do think not having her appear much in the second half does make the very end stronger. We haven't seen her since her death but then we see what it was like when they met, then we see Red devolve as we cut back and forth from him and his visions of Mandy. It also gave us those ridiculous looks from Cage, which are hilarious out of context but god damned sad in (well, still a little funny).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So is Cage implying that Elijah Wood was gonna be Red ("age versus youth"). That would have been crazy. Cage's presence, his size, his implied dark past, that all really added to his character. Elijah would have brought the crazy and athleticism (just look at him in Sin City, or even I Don't Feel....). But Red would have lost a lot as a character and an indelible image, a lumberjack from hell is a singular thing to witness.

Also like how they talk about the shift in his fighting style after sipping the LCD jar. Like he became a relentless avatar of death after it, rather than being the scrapper kung fu master just before.

e: also lol at Cage being responsible for the zoom in neck brake shot. that's awesome, the guy is amazing.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Shageletic posted:

e: also lol at Cage being responsible for the zoom in neck brake shot. that's awesome, the guy is amazing.

It's easy to forgot that Cage has serious film cred chops, being a Coppola and all - there was also some recent interview where he went through his roles and came across as a massive German Expressionist fan which makes so much sense in retrospect.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's starting to bug me how people (mostly on other forums) keep saying they weren't completely sure who was in the sleeping bag. Any confusion people are having is based on assumptions they conjured up themselves, not by anything the movie presented.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's starting to bug me how people (mostly on other forums) keep saying they weren't completely sure who was in the sleeping bag. Any confusion people are having is based on assumptions they conjured up themselves, not by anything the movie presented.

I had a very quick moment of uncertainty about that but obviously that comes and goes very quickly within the full context of the scene. But I do understand where someone might be coming from there, just because of how that scene is purposely hallucinatory and dreamlike due to the drugs. I thought for a second that maybe the dude who they'd offered as a sacrifice was in the sleeping back, but yea very quickly it was obvious that wasn't the case.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Eh, I suppose I could see there being a brief moment of uncertainty. But yeah when you watch the scene there's definitely no doubt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As a big Cage fan I'm very happy to see that this turned out so well, though unfortunately it doesn't look like it would be in the theaters here. I remember liking the trailer or preview I saw a while ago but you never know how good it actually will be.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Eh, I suppose I could see there being a brief moment of uncertainty. But yeah when you watch the scene there's definitely no doubt.
IMO it's just reacting to what's being given to you by the movie. What other reasons are there for not actually showing that it's her at any point? I obviously accept that it was, in fact, Mandy, but it seems like basic editing and continuity stuff that there will be a seed of doubt if you fail to confirm the identity of the body at any point.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Martman posted:

IMO it's just reacting to what's being given to you by the movie. What other reasons are there for not actually showing that it's her at any point? I obviously accept that it was, in fact, Mandy, but it seems like basic editing and continuity stuff that there will be a seed of doubt if you fail to confirm the identity of the body at any point.

You see her face after she’s burned.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The scene where Cage actually sees her face before it crumbles to ash has no dialogue, so I bet some people missed it because they have no attention span and were looking at their phones or whatever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

You see her face after she’s burned.
But how did she get burned?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Martman posted:

Your Parents posted:

I thought it was really good and strong that Mandy's last appearance is powerfully laughing at Jeremiah's dick and the memory isn't corrupted by leering shots of her screaming in pain etc.