Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I knew grunge was dead when WCW had a grunge rocker parody character named Raven. His intro music was a ripoff of Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and his signature move was called evenflow like Pearl Jam's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vOV3Dr21E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That's practically a JoJo sounding gimmick character right there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mu Zeta posted:

The big boxes also lets you appreciate the art work.

It's worked.

I want to play Red Alert again, now.

I wonder if anyone has updated it to run on huge modern monitors. Would be fun having the entire map on-screen at once.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I really miss playing Red Alert 2, but I've never managed to get the Origin version to work on my Windows 10 laptop and my old CD-ROM disks don't work with my DVD drive. I keep looking for a version to come out on Steam, but I doubt a workable version will ever be ported.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The worst were the ones that had really weird shapes like Microcosm that wouldn't fit on any shelf.

I can't find a picture of that box, but imagine a cardboard donut that had the jewelcase in the middle.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

I knew grunge was dead when WCW had a grunge rocker parody character named Raven. His intro music was a ripoff of Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and his signature move was called evenflow like Pearl Jam's song.

1) Raven loving owned.

2) It wasn't a WCW creation, Scott Levy created the character himself and started using it in ECW years before he went to WCW.

EDIT: Trap sprung? :ohdearsass:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

The worst were the ones that had really weird shapes like Microcosm that wouldn't fit on any shelf.

I can't find a picture of that box, but imagine a cardboard donut that had the jewelcase in the middle.

Marathon had an interesting set of boxes:

In reality there was no real reason for them to be triangular, at least when they re-released them in a trilogy set the box was at least more conservative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

They were Mac games so it wasn't like they had to compete with anything else for cool box designs

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

They were Mac games so it wasn't like they had to compete with anything else for cool box designs

:discourse:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Marathon owned and the mac gamer in me (lol yeah) is still mad at Microsoft for taking Halo away and making us pay for console multiplayer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

Marathon owned and the mac gamer in me (lol yeah) is still mad at Microsoft for taking Halo away and making us pay for console multiplayer

:yossame:

I still have my trilogy boxed set, and copy of the Win 95 port of Marathon 2.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

That was more because
1. There wasn't an industry standard so everyone made different boxes and would try and be as eye catching as possible.
2. PC games would often include physical items or huge manuals that necessitated big boxes.

Remember when DRM was having to answer a question out of that big rear end manual? My favorite PC game growing up, Microprose's F19, showed a silhouette of a plane that you'd have to get our the manual to find the correct name for. If you got it wrong you could only play one training mission.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

uli2000 posted:

Remember when DRM was having to answer a question out of that big rear end manual? My favorite PC game growing up, Microprose's F19, showed a silhouette of a plane that you'd have to get our the manual to find the correct name for. If you got it wrong you could only play one training mission.

I liked how the original Leisure Suit Larry had you answer some questions such as "what does IBM stand for" and "how many people were in the Brady Bunch" as age protection.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The worst was the tiny little book from the original Alone In The Dark. I don't know how many times I lost that fuckin thing.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

uli2000 posted:

And manuals printed in light blue ink to prevent them from being photocopied.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I still have all my 90s boxes with CDs and manuals on a bookshelf.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
God you just reminded me I loved to play the Gabriel Knight series. I even bought the third one on release day because I was so excited. :doh:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Keith Atherton posted:

God, that brings back memories. I spent so much time looking at PC game boxes in Electronics Boutique while my mom bought weird poo poo in TJ Maxx or whatever. Even though I rarely actually got anything, it was still fun. Window shopping is a thing of the past.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Keith Atherton posted:

No NOLF2? What is this garbage shelf!?

OR SOLIDER OF FORTUNE?@ ! :argh:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

No NOLF2? What is this garbage shelf!?

OR SOLIDER OF FORTUNE?@ ! :argh:

FINE! The lower shelves:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Only Swat 3? 4 was where it was at...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kingpin was the edgiest game I played when I was a teen

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Keith Atherton posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, Starcraft and Arcanum? I've also played those games. Playing through BG1 at the moment. I miss Bioware.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mu Zeta posted:

Same but Vampire the Masquerade and Gangrel.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mu Zeta posted:

They did a lot of that stuff, even DDP's intro music was Smells Like Teen Spirit in a different key or something

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

FINE! The lower shelves:

I would have killed someone for your shelves as a kid.

Now I'm sad, my... Mother, let's call her that... Threw out all my boxes when my grandfather moved in with her. I'm still sore over it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The only pre-dvd game boxes I didn't end up destroying in a week were the sega genesis cases (jewel cases usually lasted longer only because I didn't really have a choice).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My parents made me throw out all my big box games in the early 2000s. This is why they're valuable.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

twistedmentat posted:

My parents made me throw out all my big box games in the early 2000s. This is why they're valuable.

Are you trying to tell me that the baseball cards that I collected and saved from the early 1990s, when NOBODY else was collecting baseball cards will be valuable some day?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Keith Atherton posted:

Holy poo poo this brought back alot of memories.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Holy gently caress now I want to find a copy of monkey island.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm still sore that Apple decided I can't play my remastered iOS Monkey Island games post ios10. I was so close to finishing for the first time since I was 9...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jojoinnit posted:

I'm still sore that Apple decided I can't play my remastered iOS Monkey Island games post ios10. I was so close to finishing for the first time since I was 9...

They made that decision for you and you'll like it. It's like a wish list of apps. You didn't need that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

Are you trying to tell me that the baseball cards that I collected and saved from the early 1990s, when NOBODY else was collecting baseball cards will be valuable some day?

In theory, maybe? Did anyone who you had become a mega star? Or did they all burn out due to steroid use? I'm sure a Mark McGuire rookie is worth something.

My copies of Fallout 1 and 2 were stolen by a friends roomate who claimed to be an "anarchist" which basically translated him into stealing the other roomates stuff and selling it to a second hand store for money to buy weed. I had leant them to my friend, and he said he had no idea where they went until one of the other roommates noticed a bunch of her cds in his bag as he was leaving. His defense? "You can't own things, they belong to everyone!".

Man that reminds me about the late 90s of hanging out at that place, wondering what videos to rent, playing n64, thinking my university degree would actually result in meaningful work. Oh the 90s.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's technically 1989 but Ken Griffey Jr's upper deck rookie card is actually valuable. It's the single most graded card in the Beckett database, and 9.5 or 10 grades sell for good money.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mine were Topps, probably not good condition anymore, and the same as 400000000 other people's collections.

The gum was pretty much always stale.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hell yeah! I had a weed website back in the day!
I still remember the URL too. It was hosted on 20M.com, which I guess gave you 20 Mb of space.
https://www.420.4.20m.com

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's more 90s: the pop music career of Luciano Pavarotti; or the Benedictine Monks having a hit Gregorian chant album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mu Zeta posted:

He wasn't a grunge rocker he was a cult leader with a gang of heroin addicts who liked dinosaur jr