Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
"I have numerous other qualities. Why you all looking at my penis!" yelled the cock fairy over the sound of his ginormous balls flapping in the wind. Seriously, his dick was larger than the rest of him put together. "I just have trouble finding clothes that fit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Any male POV is going to notice boobs on a woman within 5 seconds of meeting her so not all that unrealistic for it to be the first thing described in that POV honestly

uh yeah think that one might just be on you brah

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Hold on, gotta go edit my gay novel so the first thing my protag notices on everyone is the size of their crotch bulge.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Any male POV is going to notice boobs on a woman within 5 seconds of meeting her so not all that unrealistic for it to be the first thing described in that POV honestly

I find that when a character notices breasts it’s meant to either

Titallate the reader
Show what’s on the protagonists mind
Make the protagonist more relatable
Show the protagonist as awkward, unfamiliar or intimidated by their sexuality
show that the other character is intrinsically sexy, or is specialized.
Used for humour

To each their own. Sometimes it works most of the time it’s weird. I find in romance novels this comes up a lot (“he was so hard”) more often. In ya it comes up a lot due to the protagonist age.

I don’t mind it when it’s done once, but if it’s done too often it gets in the way (practical magic in staring at you).

Exmond fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 29, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've written several stories with women protagonists where my readers have assumed they were guys. I'm not sure if this is because I suck at writing women, because the stories themselves were too coy about it, or because of normative gender assumptions on the part of my readers.

I'd like to blame patriarchy for this but maybe the real patriarchy was inside me all along :eng99:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
i looked in the mirror and noticed my own heaving voluptuous breasts which were like big balloons but boobs instead of balloons

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Boobs everywhere. Everytime I went out in public, all these boob-havers were constantly in my face. I was a nervous wreck having to nagivate through this endless sea of boobs, especially when I knew, theoretically, they were attached to human beings with faces and thoughts inside those faces. Faces that turned angry when you stared into their much-more-important boobies too long. But mostly I couldn't see their faces, which was a relief, because when I did they were mostly angry. Like, how dare I notice they have boobs when I do not. Don't they know how lucky they are to have boobs? I mean, if I had boobs I would play with them all the time, be able to die happy in one endless self-tittyfuck. With boobs you can get all the sex you want. All you have to do is flaunt your boobs. I mean, they don't even have to work at it, because even through a thick sweater, I could still see the boobs. When a woman walked by, every part of her turned transparent, except for her boobs. Even if she had really tiny boobs, boobs is all I could see, they were just smaller and easier to miss in a crowd of bigger boobs. But if they were the only boobs around, my eyes could settle on them ok. Sometimes, but only sometimes, a woman would walk by with a butt that outdid her boobs. I like to thing I'm a man of equal opportunity, but mostly it was boobs boobs boobs. My penis was constantly rock hard and it was torture.

—Diary of an Incel

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 29, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Djeser posted:

I've written several stories with women protagonists where my readers have assumed they were guys. I'm not sure if this is because I suck at writing women, because the stories themselves were too coy about it, or because of normative gender assumptions on the part of my readers.

I'd like to blame patriarchy for this but maybe the real patriarchy was inside me all along :eng99:

2 and 3 are pretty closely related. Unless it's explicitly (and I mean explicitly) stated otherwise, a lot of people will assume every character is a white heterosexual man. e: myself included. i try not to, but that poo poo's rooted deep

It's particularly hilarious impressive in regards to the "heterosexual" part, because short of actual on-screen gay sex there is absolutely no level of same-sex intimacy that people will not hand-wave away as "just friends" or "haha funny joke", up to and including explicit declarations of love.

I'm curious though, do you habitually write in the first person or something? Otherwise I would've thought the pronouns would give it away.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 29, 2018

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I write a lot of male first person POVs and I can't think of a time where I've had my protag stare at anyone's tits. Presently, we tend to socialize males and females differently, so I use that to my advantage when establishing the voice of a piece. Mind you, I don't like the differences in how we socialize people of different genders, but it's a useful thing for writers.

I kind of played with this in a series of short stories I wrote. They're all about a sort of hobo messiah, written in the first person. The first story seemed to give people the impression that the main character was male (which makes sense, 'messiah' is a male-gendered word), so it was fun to kind of let the reader figure out, over the course of 4 stories, that the protag was actually a young woman with ratty pink hair and a serious case of schizotypal personality disorder.

Also, that naked fairy from the last page is gonna have some gnarly stretchmarks from those ample boobs danglin' all the time

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

People have mistaken my male first person protagonist for female because his voice isn't super masculine, but since this character is pretty much trans-male, I decided that's actually ok. Like if anyone was blind enough to really not notice all the other signifiers until struck in the face with dick, they probably diserved to be shocked into the realization anyway

In an earlier draft this character, only when confronted by an rear end in his face went, "Dat rear end!" And I was told this was the most masculine I'd ever written him, but then when directly confronted by incredible rear end, I too have gone, "Dat rear end!" so I don't consider this strictly a masculine thing.

However, in the novel moments like that are preludes to sexin/denial of sexin because otherwise why mention your character having a horndog moment? In every case, you'd best think about the reasons for it, otherwise you're accidentally making your character a perv. You know, rather than "relatable" like you're thinkin

Also, dear male writers, the breast size of your female characters doesn't actually matter. Like, not at all. You can go a whole book without mentioning cup size or descriptions like "ample"

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Djeser posted:

Speaking as a reader, when I read first-person books, it often bothers me if a lot of time passes before I'm told the character's name. We all make assumptions about who the character is, and it's always jarring to be 30-50 pages into the book and have the assumptions shown to be wrong. I need to mentally readjust my mental picture of the character, and that's always distracting for me.

That doesn't mean you need to march your character up to a mirror in chapter 1 to give a full description, but unless there's a good reason to hide your character's gender, or unless you're writing an Ageless-Faceless-Gender-Neutral-Culturally-Ambiguous-Adventure-Person, it should usually be made clear enough to the reader who the protagonist is.

Is no one addressing your character by name? Is it that they only have a title, or a gender-neutral/unclear name? Why are you being "coy" about their gender?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 30, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Terrorforge posted:

I'm curious though, do you habitually write in the first person or something? Otherwise I would've thought the pronouns would give it away.

Yeah, it mostly happens in first-person stories.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is no one addressing your character by name? Is it that they only have a title, or a gender-neutral/unclear name? Why are you being "coy" about their gender?

In the stories where I've had trouble with this, the protagonists don't get addressed by name. I'm not trying to be obtuse, it's just that their gender never comes up directly. When it's important to the story, I've tried to infer it through the way they interact with other people or through environmental detail, but sometimes readers don't pick up on the fact that they've got a corset and sun hat in the closet.

Also, I mostly write short stories, so the level of detail I'm working with might be different than what you're imagining.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

feedmyleg posted:

i looked in the mirror and noticed my own heaving voluptuous breasts which were like big balloons but boobs instead of balloons

Good ol’ boobaloons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

"I have numerous other qualities. Why you all looking at my penis!" yelled the cock fairy over the sound of his ginormous balls flapping in the wind. Seriously, his dick was larger than the rest of him put together. "I just have trouble finding clothes that fit!"

Oglaf.txt

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Stuporstar posted:

Boobs everywhere. Everytime I went out in public, all these boob-havers were constantly in my face. I was a nervous wreck having to nagivate through this endless sea of boobs, especially when I knew, theoretically, they were attached to human beings with faces and thoughts inside those faces. Faces that turned angry when you stared into their much-more-important boobies too long. But mostly I couldn't see their faces, which was a relief, because when I did they were mostly angry. Like, how dare I notice they have boobs when I do not. Don't they know how lucky they are to have boobs? I mean, if I had boobs I would play with them all the time, be able to die happy in one endless self-tittyfuck. With boobs you can get all the sex you want. All you have to do is flaunt your boobs. I mean, they don't even have to work at it, because even through a thick sweater, I could still see the boobs. When a woman walked by, every part of her turned transparent, except for her boobs. Even if she had really tiny boobs, boobs is all I could see, they were just smaller and easier to miss in a crowd of bigger boobs. But if they were the only boobs around, my eyes could settle on them ok. Sometimes, but only sometimes, a woman would walk by with a butt that outdid her boobs. I like to thing I'm a man of equal opportunity, but mostly it was boobs boobs boobs. My penis was constantly rock hard and it was torture.

—Diary of an Incel

Lol

Sorry if the joke wasn’t obvious enough

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Djeser posted:

Yeah, it mostly happens in first-person stories.

In the stories where I've had trouble with this, the protagonists don't get addressed by name. I'm not trying to be obtuse, it's just that their gender never comes up directly. When it's important to the story, I've tried to infer it through the way they interact with other people or through environmental detail, but sometimes readers don't pick up on the fact that they've got a corset and sun hat in the closet.

Also, I mostly write short stories, so the level of detail I'm working with might be different than what you're imagining.

If your character's gender is important to the story, but it remains unclear to the readers, you are not communicating with the readers properly. Perhaps stop merely inferring and go to explicitly putting it in the text, if only through your character being addressed by name.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

2 and 3 are pretty closely related. Unless it's explicitly (and I mean explicitly) stated otherwise, a lot of people will assume every character is a white heterosexual man. e: myself included. i try not to, but that poo poo's rooted deep

It's particularly hilarious impressive in regards to the "heterosexual" part, because short of actual on-screen gay sex there is absolutely no level of same-sex intimacy that people will not hand-wave away as "just friends" or "haha funny joke", up to and including explicit declarations of love.

I think most white heterosexual guys do this. Maybe most people in general, because it’s easy. A while back I posted about reading the Fifth Season/Broken Earth books, by NK Jemisin, and they are probably the best books I’ve personally read as far as having interesting, diverse characters both racially and sexually, and there is never any specific description of someone as “black” or “gay” or whatever. They’re really well written and I recommend them to anyone looking to see an example of it. Also they’re just good books in general if you like SF/fantasy.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If your character's gender is important to the story, but it remains unclear to the readers, you are not communicating with the readers properly. Perhaps stop merely inferring and go to explicitly putting it in the text, if only through your character being addressed by name.

There's a lot of stories where that's not an easy option. Like, what if there's no dialogue? What if there aren't any other characters in the story? That's honestly one of the tricky parts of first-person narrative, especially if it's written like they're talking to the reader. How often do you explain to someone you're talking to that you have boobs?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ugh, I said to myself in a relatively high-pitched voice with a high rising terminal. I can’t seem to find a shirt that fits loosely on my bust.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
My books were written in third person, so I've never had anyone complaining about not knowing the genders of the characters, and I've certainly never described anything like a woman's bust, but having beta readers definitely helped with things like implied sexuality and whatnot.

In my newest novel, there's a chapter where my two leads are in a bathroom together because one had just been in a nasty accident (thrown off a horse because a sniper shot it from under her). It's a pretty intimate scene, but apparently my main editor thought it was incredibly creepy. She said, "That's just not how platonic women interact with each other in my experience" when I asked her about it. Apparently, I had not made it very clear that this was a scene where they are slowly realizing they are hella into each other in a very gay, definitely-not-platonic-anymore way, and my editor thought it was just two women chatting. She also thought the gap in ages between them was much larger than it was. I never would have known either of these things had she not read it and had she not been a woman. The rewrites made it a much stronger scene.

So, I guess what I'm saying is to trust your beta readers and editors if they are really confused about something or bring up issues that might be problematic. A lot of writers--myself included--like to think some of these things are common sense, but it turns out the ideas in your head might not always be getting across well!

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 30, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Djeser posted:

There's a lot of stories where that's not an easy option. Like, what if there's no dialogue? What if there aren't any other characters in the story? That's honestly one of the tricky parts of first-person narrative, especially if it's written like they're talking to the reader. How often do you explain to someone you're talking to that you have boobs?

:shrug: You're the one who said that you sometimes have trouble with readers not always being clear on the gender of your protagonist, sometimes when said gender is important to the story. It's up to you to decide if it's an issue you feel needs fixing, and up to you how you want to fix it.

Personally, if a high fraction of readers are missing something important to the story, I would try and find a way to make it clearer.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

sebmojo posted:

'oh, these things', tittered ms fluttery boobsalot 'they're just my ample b r e a s t s no big deal at all it's hilarious that you think me being naked matters, i'm so very very naked loll'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The year is 2043, and it is cold. A second criminal of the senses is at large!

"Quite," laughed blind Sherlock Holmes (this is book 2, he was blinded in the prequel), "quite." Britishly, he extended his hands to see the reception of his cliffhanger joke from last year, only to realize he is now also deaf and uh the boobs of women in the world become his braille, it's very tasteful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Writing competition going wrong:
"I see your ample breasts and I'll raise you my giant penis!'

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

SelenicMartian posted:

Writing competition going wrong:
"I see your ample breasts and I'll raise you my giant penis!'

Seems like it's going pretty drat well to me. :colbert:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Someone pitch that as the next Thunderdome theme

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sorry to disturb, but I am a big fan of wise and adventurous female characters. When someone linked me to a particular post in this thread, I couldn't help but try to amplify concerns raised in it.

https://soundcloud.com/stanley-swanson-150846885/big-tittied-pixie-character

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A+++++++ would listen again

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Paladinus posted:

Sorry to disturb, but I am a big fan of wise and adventurous female characters. When someone linked me to a particular post in this thread, I couldn't help but try to amplify concerns raised in it.

how did you make the word 'boobs' stretch out in such a jittery, alarming matter

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nae! posted:

how did you make the word 'boobs' stretch out in such a jittery, alarming matter

That's how every man reads the word. :shrug:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Paladinus posted:

That's how every man reads the word. :shrug:

Maybe in your fictional universe, but that's a decision you made as an author!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my characters stretch out boobs alarmingly, as well.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

my characters stretch out boobs alarmingly, as well.

That’s a different genre altogether, I think.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apologies, meant to post in the non-fiction thread

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

apologies, meant to post in the non-fiction thread

Wait, if you post about boobs in there, does that require you either have them or have touched one?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Wait, if you post about boobs in there, does that require you either have them or have touched one?

I'm not going to reveal the main riddle of my 6 volume autobiographical opus My Struggle. You will have to read and see for yourself.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Terrorforge posted:

Pronouns alone can be fascinating. Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch series was something I chewed through last year looking for stress-relief brain popcorn, and her POV character uses female pronouns as the default for everyone and avoids physical descriptions that would give gendered images. It's interesting how different the character assumptions I made as a reader were based on this, even being aware enough to notice it happening.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 30, 2018

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Paladinus posted:

This is fantastic :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

I love the image of a guy saying this at a party after someone else said a normal joke and then everyone else is silent as he tirades about pixie tits.