Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

cliffy posted:

The whole planet should ban crypto mining first!

And carpet bomb the countries who don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

limaCAT posted:

And carpet bomb the countries who don't.

:yeah:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

20MW over a year is still going to be 175 GWhr, nothing to sneeze at. But ban bitcoin anyway.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

craig588 posted:

The bigger surprise is it was worth doing, remaking anything on a new process isn't cheap.

Well, the general "remake" case is a die shrink. Going up to the n+1 node should be easy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

California's really on their rear end about standby power utilization though, gotta save that 2w of vampire power

The EU already mandates 0.5w standby, all current mainboards are able to meet that standard. Whatever California mandates won't be much of a problem.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Asus is apparently going to support double height DC Dimms on some of their Z390 boards. These are no longer modules, they are friggen cards, and they whip rear end (visually)

put those old stacked server ram modules to SHAME with their sheer beefy glory

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Stupid thicc dimm

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So this means that Z390 will in fact be a worse feature-wise chipset than Z370 unless you really want that WiFi or USB 3.1 2nd gen to the tune of a couple extra watts (the lack of info on Z390 is not bearing any good news if you ask me). Guess I should be staking our motherboards for the 9th gen Intel CPUs. Unless Intel does something crazy like encourage motherboard adoption by cutting pricing so hard that retail channels drastically undercut Z370 pricing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They'd probably prefer if fewer 14nm Z390 chipsets are sold for now, in favour of more Z370 which is still a 22nm thing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

incoherent posted:

Stupid thicc sexy dimm

fixed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

necrobobsledder posted:

So this means that Z390 will in fact be a worse feature-wise chipset than Z370 unless you really want that WiFi or USB 3.1 2nd gen to the tune of a couple extra watts (the lack of info on Z390 is not bearing any good news if you ask me). Guess I should be staking our motherboards for the 9th gen Intel CPUs. Unless Intel does something crazy like encourage motherboard adoption by cutting pricing so hard that retail channels drastically undercut Z370 pricing.

Z390 is (probably) just H370 with overclocking turned on. The 22nm chipsets are apparently H310C (an ultra low cost chipset that may not even make it to retail boards), not Z390

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/supply-update/

Bob Swan posted:

[...]
Now for the challenge… The surprising return to PC TAM growth has put pressure on our factory network. We’re prioritizing the production of Intel® Xeon® and Intel® Core™ processors so that collectively we can serve the high-performance segments of the market. That said, supply is undoubtedly tight, particularly at the entry-level of the PC market. We continue to believe we will have at least the supply to meet the full-year revenue outlook we announced in July, which was $4.5 billion higher than our January expectations.

To address this challenge, we’re taking the following actions:
  • We are investing a record $15 billion in capital expenditures in 2018, up approximately $1 billion from the beginning of the year. We’re putting that $1 billion into our 14nm manufacturing sites in Oregon, Arizona, Ireland and Israel. This capital along with other efficiencies is increasing our supply to respond to your increased demand.
  • We’re making progress with 10nm. Yields are improving and we continue to expect volume production in 2019.
  • We are taking a customer-first approach. We’re working with your teams to align demand with available supply. You can expect us to stay close, listen, partner and keep you informed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amazing, it's almost as if people actually start wanting to upgrade their computers when the processors get better (# of cores) than the previous generations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mystes posted:

Amazing, it's almost as if people actually start wanting to upgrade their computers when the processors get better (# of cores) than the previous generations.

Yes, and we're also in the largest plateau the PC industry has seen since its inception which makes a valuable chip (2600k) still valuable 5-6 years later

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mewse posted:

Yes, and we're also in the largest plateau the PC industry has seen since its inception which makes a valuable chip (2600k) still valuable 5-6 years later

7.75 years since the chip came out, and no it really isn't valuable to anyone who doesn't already have a well-prepared overclocking setup to put it in.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
3770K’s are even more absurd, they’re running about $175 on fleabay, which is half of what they ran new, in 2012. That’s insane.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

JnnyThndrs posted:

3770K’s are even more absurd, they’re running about $175 on fleabay, which is half of what they ran new, in 2012. That’s insane.

Yeah, I paid way more than that for a used 3770K just over a year ago, just under £200...
It might not have been the best purchase, but hell, I'm happy with it, and my 2500K found a home in a newly built HTPC (with a used mini-itx board off ebay).
It was also fun to delid..

fishmech posted:

7.75 years since the chip came out, and no it really isn't valuable to anyone who doesn't already have a well-prepared overclocking setup to put it in.

Check prices on ebay. They still sell for a reasonable amount, surprisingly enough.

Just a side thought, the amount of time CPUs have been viable recently has been pretty remarkable compared to the past.

Nehalem is a good point of comparison, and many are still using them, especially in older servers and so on. There are 10 years back to Nehalem's launch, the best being the (i7-965, 4C8T, turbo 3.46); but what about 10 years before that? We're talking Pentium II 450.

An i7-965 is probably still better than many machines out there people are using on a daily basis (low clocked core i3 office desktops, 15W laptop CPUs, and so on), but a Pentium II in 2008 would have been thrown away long ago.

vv Yeah, I just thought it was fun to stop and think about it for a moment

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 29, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's just a sign of stagnation imo

It's only when amd came out with ryzen that intel finally started to produce cpus that drastically improve on previous iterations

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, compare the difference 6 years made in the 90s. What value would a 66MHz 486 from 93 have compared to a 733MHz P3 in 99?

Admittedly it's nice not to have to upgrade every 2 years.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cygni posted:

The 22nm chipsets are apparently H310C (an ultra low cost chipset that may not even make it to retail boards)

So basically the cheapo chipsets for office PCs with i3s and 8GB RAM.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

HalloKitty posted:

vv Yeah, I just thought it was fun to stop and think about it for a moment

Don't get me wrong at all! It was great that my 2500k lasted for so long. Nobody wants to feel like they have to upgrade every year and a half. On one side you had stagnation, on the other side you had software developers making the most of it. Whatever's had to work on a 7600k also worked just fine on a 2500k. Four cores became a thing around Crysis' time, now ten years later you can do some seriously impressive poo poo with it, like 64 player vehicular battles on Battlefield.

Hopefully now with the focus back on hex and octo physical cores we should see an explosion in impressive looking poo poo, here's hoping so anyway. Hyperthreading is nice but it just isn't a good enough replacement and is a security nightmare.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

JnnyThndrs posted:

By the time the Ryzen 2600 started getting retail rebates selling a 4790K there practically meant all you have to pay is DDR4 for a new AMD 6-core setup.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

20MW over a year is still going to be 175 GWhr, nothing to sneeze at. But ban bitcoin anyway.

When it comes to energy conservation what really ilks me is CFL lights are still sold because people are still loving buying them just because they are $1 cheaper than the LED counterpart sitting right next to it that uses 40% less energy and at least 5x the lifespan.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 29, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oops: https://www.techpowerup.com/248008/intel-at-least-5-years-behind-tsmc-and-may-never-catch-up-analyst

I think that's a bit alarmist, though - Intel can buy its way out of the doghouse, it'll just cost a lot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Palladium posted:

When it comes to energy conservation what really ilks me is CFL lights are still sold because people are still loving buying them just because they are $1 cheaper than the LED counterpart sitting right next to it that uses 40% less energy and at least 5x the lifespan.
And generally better light quality.

Hell, I gladly ditched CFLs for LED years ago, when latter just hit the market with decent high output solutions that fit E27 sockets, despite costing almost 60€ a pop. Just for the light quality. Those expensive Philips Master LEDs, that are equivalent to 60W bulbs, are still trucking here to this day. They're from end of 2010, beginning 2011.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
jeeesus, that does seem really bad

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, analysts never know anything. Don't listen to their opinions.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Intel is not 5 years behind TSMC. TSMC has good processes, but it can't be overstated how far ahead Intel is. Short Intel stock if anyone takes that story seriously.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I suppose it comes down to IPC and cores in the end right?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lambert posted:

Also, analysts never know anything. Don't listen to their opinions.

This cannot be overstated.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HalloKitty posted:

Check prices on ebay. They still sell for a reasonable amount, surprisingly enough.

That doesn't contradict me in the least, they're worthless without a good board to put them in and those are getting scarcer all the time. They're also just plain not good for someone to buy into these days.

I get that a lot of people here have carefully built up a system around never upgrading, but objectively it's absolutely not where someone would go if they wanted a CPU now. It's like the PowerMac G5 market where the only people interested want to do something very specific.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

craig588 posted:

TSMC has good processes, but it can't be overstated how far ahead Intel is.

Was.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

some people really do just want piss lights

but don't LED bulbs come in piss light colors too? :shrug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

I get that a lot of people here have carefully built up a system around never upgrading, but objectively it's absolutely not where someone would go if they wanted a CPU now. It's like the PowerMac G5 market where the only people interested want to do something very specific.

wow, there's still a market for G5s? :raise:

Is it like, people running specific legacy applications/hardware that doesn't have x86 drivers, or what?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

wow, there's still a market for G5s? :raise:

Is it like, people running specific legacy applications/hardware that doesn't have x86 drivers, or what?

Yep, weirdos who insist on specific PowerPC software, usually for audio/video production tools that don't want changed. And a residual group of businesses and the like who have a vital PPC-only application that needs to be run on the fastest gear still left to get by.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Legacy never ends. At my old job spare part sourcing meant vacuuming the ebays and whatnot for VAX hardware.

This for a lovely Siemens metro signalling system installed around the year 2000... I cant imagine the horrors of dealing with *actually* ancient systems.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 30, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oops: https://www.techpowerup.com/248008/intel-at-least-5-years-behind-tsmc-and-may-never-catch-up-analyst

I think that's a bit alarmist, though - Intel can buy its way out of the doghouse, it'll just cost a lot.

This might be a dumb question but: do delays with the 10nm affect Intel's future shrinks? Can't they be working on those in parallel, or do they require solving whatever their 10nm problem is?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

evilweasel posted:

This might be a dumb question but: do delays with the 10nm affect Intel's future shrinks? Can't they be working on those in parallel, or do they require solving whatever their 10nm problem is?

their sub 10nm isn't going to be silicon based we think but does require EUV which is suppose to be solved with 10nm.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

You don’t spend 5 years working on 10nm throwing ever increasing amounts of personnel and resources at the issue without straining your future research

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Isn't TSMC brute forcing their 7nm with quad tracing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

wargames posted:

Isn't TSMC brute forcing their 7nm with quad tracing?

At first yes. But Intel is supposed to be doing the same with their 7nm process too. TSMC 7nm+ (or whatever they call it) is supposed to be using EUV on some of the layers. But that is coming in 3-4Q 2019.

That article does seem overly pessimistic at first glance. But if the rumors that Intel's 7nm process is delayed by ~1-2yr are correct then it might not be terribly far off either.

evilweasel posted:

The chip designers have to know the details of the process and its limitations, along with the properly configured software tools, in order to do their jobs. If Intel is still developing the process itself, or even "just" tweaking it, than the chip designers are stuck waiting for the work to be done there first before they can really do their jobs properly.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 30, 2018