Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cock hero flux posted:

Do you not know the incredible story of FFX-2.5? Because boy, it's a good one. The highlight is absolutely Tidus kicking a blitzball and loving exploding and then Yuna catching his severed head. Also I think Sin comes back to life at some point.

No, sin comes back to life in the sequel to ffx-2.5 because not everything had been ruined yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is what you need to know about X-2.5

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16969

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
This is a thing of beauty

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Final Fantasy is good

except for the one you like, that's bad

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

Final Fantasy is good

except for the one you like, that's bad

Someone exists that likes all final fantasy. Therefore final fantasy is good, but no final fantasy is good. This is a contradiction. Therefore final fantasy is not good. Its simple math.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 29, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, serious question: is there a scene in FFXV between chapters 4 and 5, or possibly a cutaway between chapters 3 and 4, that explains the shift in chapter 5 but for some reason isn't in the main game, instead being in an anime or DLC or something? Because everyone's talking like it's obvious that I need to go talk to Ramuh and then Leviathan while following Lunafreya's trail, but this is the first I've heard anything about either of them and the last thing I heard about Lunafreya was that she spoke to Titan before I turned up and that fact alone was supposed to be a big deal. I don't have a loving clue why any of these things are important except for the fact that, being Titan, Ramuh and Leviathan, I know they should be.

I don't mind that the game's plot suddenly figured out that it should have a direction, but I feel like I should've been told what that direction was. This feels like when you miss an episode of a TV show and it turns out to be the really big game-changing episode, except that I was here the whole time and definitely saw that there wasn't one.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 29, 2018

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I pretty much felt that way every time there was a cutscene.

"Did I miss something?"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's a case where the in story characters know something that the game hasn't told the player himself. Which is actually a problem FF13 had too, come to think of it. Noctis learns Luna has been going around waking up the gods. The sudden thunderstorm, along with Gentiana literally telling you, signals Ramuh is awake and wants to meet with you. Leviathan is known to slumber across the sea in Altissia, so that is where Luna is headed to next, being the next closest god spot, and therefore where you have to go next, chasing after her. It's clear that the Empire is too bad to take on without help, and what greater help than the gods? So go get the gods' blessing and help, along the way acquire your ancestor's weapons of great power to get double powerful.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think the thing might be causing this one in particular is that the party chatter triggers before the quest chatter that actually gives you that information, which happens slightly later in the main quest. So the game essentially sequence breaks itself, and your party responds to things that haven't happened yet. But I don't know, because the game's so rough and weird about so many arbitrary points (don't think I didn't notice that blocking and parrying works totally differently in the Titan fight than anytime before then, game) that I don't even know if that's what happened, or if there actually was a cutscene that isn't there.

FFXV is a genuinely baffling experience, because it's the worst game I've ever played that's still, by most sensible metrics, a good game. It passes all the tests you'd think to give it, it just fails in ways you never expected it could.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF15 is a pretty bad game that I had a lot of fun playing for some reason.
But it's clear in every aspect that the game has been hastily cobbled together by low level employees who inherited a mess on a deadline.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Attitude Indicator posted:

FF15 is a pretty bad game that I had a lot of fun playing for some reason.
But it's clear in every aspect that the game has been hastily cobbled together by low level employees who inherited a mess on a deadline.

I call it a pretty drat impressive achievement they made that mess fun though. That team clearly put as much love as they could have into the project.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HD DAD posted:

I call it a pretty drat impressive achievement they made that mess fun though. That team clearly put as much love as they could have into the project.

I'd hazard to call the gameplay 'fun', but it's managing to remain steadily 'okay' all throughout my playtime. It's not quite engaging enough to really get into or feel like it's worth getting good at, but it hasn't really dipped into tedium or frustration yet, and that's an achievement by itself; better games than it have had lower floors.

This, of course, is only a condition that applies to the gameplay. My party is consistently tedious and frustrating, and when it goes into (what the game has decided are) dungeons they talk way too much and I start wanting to strangle them. Especially Prompto.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cleretic posted:

Okay, serious question: is there a scene in FFXV between chapters 4 and 5, or possibly a cutaway between chapters 3 and 4, that explains the shift in chapter 5 but for some reason isn't in the main game, instead being in an anime or DLC or something? Because everyone's talking like it's obvious that I need to go talk to Ramuh and then Leviathan while following Lunafreya's trail, but this is the first I've heard anything about either of them and the last thing I heard about Lunafreya was that she spoke to Titan before I turned up and that fact alone was supposed to be a big deal. I don't have a loving clue why any of these things are important except for the fact that, being Titan, Ramuh and Leviathan, I know they should be.

I don't mind that the game's plot suddenly figured out that it should have a direction, but I feel like I should've been told what that direction was. This feels like when you miss an episode of a TV show and it turns out to be the really big game-changing episode, except that I was here the whole time and definitely saw that there wasn't one.
Its not really so much disjointed plot as a bunch of found plot points from bro chat and connecting the dots over some of the story dumps. The Ramuh bit is a bit rear end backwards in that you'll know more by the end but the basic plot beats summarized so far:

zedprime posted:

Everything Noct is doing is a traditional coming of age as a Lucii king. It's just a little under duress because Insomnia is occupied and the crystal is captured.

Lucii are supermen who's strength draws on both the crystal and every Lucian who has come before. The first obviously comes from having access to the crystal but the latter comes from the Armiger and the Ring. Hence the road trip to pay respects to Lucii past to gain access to their Armiger and learn and train to be able to draw power from the Ring.

The Lucii are basically allied with the gods. In exchange for the crystal, the gods required the Lucii to dedicate themselves to preventing a future apocalypse. Normally a Lucii would just visit with an Oracle to say "we still cool" and the god would say "I guess, let me sleep yo." This time around the gods recognize apocalypse is upon the world and are testing Noctis' capacity to address it so they are much more restless than the usual Lucii road trip.

Most importantly the Lucii are super humans because of their buds. Regis made the same road trip with his buds, including Cid. If you forgot, Cid told you the most important part of the road trip is having fun with your buds. So don't forget about that part of it or you'll never be a really good Lucii.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Just know that the core theme of the game is about having fun with your best friends and that at the end of the day they are the ones who Stand By Me(the player character). It's the only game I can think of where the point of the game has nothing to do with the plot of the game.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

It's the only game I can think of where the point of the game has nothing to do with the plot of the game.

Maybe breath of the wild and some othersandbox games? The real point of the game is to screw around, climb things, and explore. The plot wants you to kill ganon after 4 specific dungeons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gologle posted:

Just know that the core theme of the game is about having fun with your best friends and that at the end of the day they are the ones who Stand By Me(the player character). It's the only game I can think of where the point of the game has nothing to do with the plot of the game.

I hate these friends and I want them to go stand somewhere else. Is there an option to tell them all to gently caress right off and instead have a road trip with Iris? She's the only enjoyable character so far.

Also, what you've just described can also be considered true of Persona 4, and that does it way better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I hate these friends and I want them to go stand somewhere else. Is there an option to tell them all to gently caress right off and instead have a road trip with Iris? She's the only enjoyable character so far.

Also, what you've just described can also be considered true of Persona 4, and that does it way better.

you're trying extremely hard to continue playing something that you clearly don't like

it's not going to improve and will in fact get considerably worse

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Persona 4 is a dating sim disguised as a fighting game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oxxidation posted:

you're trying extremely hard to continue playing something that you clearly don't like

it's not going to improve and will in fact get considerably worse

Correction: I'm enjoying the game, I'm just not enjoying the point of the game. These bros are not compelling or enjoyable characters, they talk too much, and Prompto especially is bringing the game down.

The down point I remember people always talking about is the chapter where you're playing Noctis alone with a ring as a weapon (I think it's chapter 13?), and I'm gonna be honest, that sounds like heaven right now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Correction: I'm enjoying the game, I'm just not enjoying the point of the game. These bros are not compelling or enjoyable characters, they talk too much, and Prompto especially is bringing the game down.

The down point I remember people always talking about is the chapter where you're playing Noctis alone with a ring as a weapon (I think it's chapter 13?), and I'm gonna be honest, that sounds like heaven right now.

Why do you hate fun?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the boys friendship is like the one thing everyone likes about XV

e: i love everything about it it's a good game

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 30, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I liked warp striking birds, lighting my friends on fire, being encouraged to have a royal sidepiece by my bodygaurd.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Help Im Alive posted:

e: i love everything about it it's a good game

Why!? Ignis is the only one that's remotely tolerable, and that's mostly because he's quiet and useful.

I'm standing by my call that XV's party is a whole party of the boring characters that I ignore in Persona games. That includes Noctis, but at least I can customize his appearance and he's kinda fun to play.

Barudak posted:

I liked warp striking birds, lighting my friends on fire, being encouraged to have a royal sidepiece by my bodygaurd.

I haven't gotten to that third part, but your general point of 'it's fun to actually play the game' holds true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

No, sin comes back to life in the sequel to ffx-2.5 because not everything had been ruined yet

I feel like the existence of a sequel to 2.5 is a strong counterpoint to this.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I disliked Prompto for the entire game until playing his side story, which I didn't do until the story-appropriate time to do so. It ended up being enough to make him my favorite character.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Why!? Ignis is the only one that's remotely tolerable, and that's mostly because he's quiet and useful.

I'm standing by my call that XV's party is a whole party of the boring characters that I ignore in Persona games. That includes Noctis, but at least I can customize his appearance and he's kinda fun to play.

I haven't gotten to that third part, but your general point of 'it's fun to actually play the game' holds true.

I'm sorry you hate human interaction IRL.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Ignis is like the most annoying. He's a boring drip most of the time and doesn't play off of any of the others anywhere as well as Noctis , Gladius or Prompto and most of his additions are basically a 'Harumpf' added to poking fun at the others.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ignis is like the most annoying. He's a boring drip most of the time and doesn't play off of any of the others anywhere as well as Noctis , Gladius or Prompto and most of his additions are basically a 'Harumpf' added to poking fun at the others.

he really loves being able to see stuff though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FFXV is a Game about 4 friends trying to have fun and build up the bonds between them while on a dangerous mission to save the world where the friends act like actual people and tease and goof with each other all the time. It's like one of the few jRPG that tries to be about FRIENDSHIP that actually makes them feel like friends or people that are genuinely close to each other at any given point. It's a game that actually does pretty well to capture the little moments and small chats and fights and jokes that actually make up long lasting friendships instead of being a weird fantasy where your friends barely exist outside of making you feel good and saying "Wow you've helped me" as you stand stock still staring at them while they talk 9-10 times.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 30, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Or the Tales version of building character relationships of Putting basically every moment of character interaction the main story doesn't absolutely need into VN segments that are both entirely optional and have hilarious flags to unlock some of them so they're also missable.

It's just a weird complaint because the character writing and dialogue is the one thing the game does well. The scenario writing is half finished, the gameplay is shallow and overly simple and just so slow compared to Any of the other Action RPGs SE has made before or during FF13A/FF15's 2 development cycles. It's got a shittier version of Schemata/Weapon swapping AND a shittier version of the stagger system from FF13-3. It's less varied or well put together than even the more mediocre KH games.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 30, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It really doesn't, though. It forgets the important part of likeable party members, which is to actually get you to like them. The real, singular faltering point to me (other than Prompto being annoying and talking too much) is that you don't really meet them to learn and get to know them, because game starts off with everyone already being friends. That means that it never really puts forth the effort to make you like them, because internal to the game's logic and structure that's not needed, since everyone already knows each other. I presume that's all in the anime.

At this point, the character I feel the most connection with and interest in is Iris, and that's because they actually did bother to give a scene up to getting to know her right off the bat. Runner-up is Lunafreya, because her scenes have given me a whole lot of understanding of why she's important, they just haven't really remembered to make her an interesting person in them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

It really doesn't, though. It forgets the important part of likeable party members, which is to actually get you to like them. The real, singular faltering point to me (other than Prompto being annoying and talking too much) is that you don't really meet them to learn and get to know them, because game starts off with everyone already being friends.

This is a really weird point because like...most narratives have characters that know each other before the viewer gets to see them together and you learn about them from their reactions to things and discussions and interactions. To insist that the important part to getting the viewer like a cast is to see how they meet or have next to know established relationships is insane in the face of most media. I think this is more a you issue than a failing of the game.

Like the opening of the game is a scene of Noctis's daddy issues and him and his friends pushing a car together and they were smart enough writers to have every possible combinations of characters talking back and forth and you get a good understanding (an Establishment, if you will) of how they feel about each other and what their relationship is like. This is the base line for them as characters and the game is about how that changes as the story happens.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 30, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Prompto is the best boy, sorry you have bad opinions.

I forget exactly how to trigger the cutscene but go stay in all the motels in the, I want to say, bottom part of the map and after you trigger it tell me you don’t love Prompto.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Epi Lepi posted:

Prompto is the best boy, sorry you have bad opinions.

I forget exactly how to trigger the cutscene but go stay in all the motels in the, I want to say, bottom part of the map and after you trigger it tell me you don’t love Prompto.

Oh, I got that cutscene. It's just, at best, too little too late. And doesn't really make him any better.

So, yeah. I got that cutscene, and I still want Prompto to go drown.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't even know how to respond to someone who stops at a gas station and looks at the inexplicable models in the 7-11 before finding a campsite to sit with their buds on Coleman camping chairs with their Coleman lantern eating high res campfire food and thinks "but why should I really like my camping bud."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if you gotta hate someone, why not Gladio

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tired Moritz posted:

if you gotta hate someone, why not Gladio

Gladio doesn't talk as much, and during normal gameplay is kinda just in the background; his survivalism thing doesn't force attention to it unlike the cooking and photography. He's neither annoying nor interesting, he's just sorta there, at least until the game decides to highlight that he's a ladies' man, which is my least favorite part of him.

If the FFXV party were in an RPG with a larger cast, like an FFVI or Persona or something, I wouldn't actively avoid Gladio. I'd just always have better things to do than pursue his storyline. Prompto I would actively avoid.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the whole party. I just hate Prompto the most.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you learn everything you need to know about them through their interactions. prompto likes chocobos. ignis is kind of vain. gladio is a meathead.

if you really care about their history beyond that then you watch final fantasy xv: brotherhood:: the animation

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I went through the combat tutorial in FFXV but it didn't really click. I felt like I was fighting against the interface as much as the enemy, and didn't really understand why I might want to prefer any of my options over the others.

The road trip aesthetic was amazing and I loved it, but the hunts didn't really appeal to me. A checklist of things to kill is a good activity for later in a game like this, but right at the start I want to get a feel for the general structure of the game, and I didn't know what deciding to ignore the hunts altogether would entail. I'd have liked it if it had dragged me along a bit more linear plot before letting me cut loose with open-ended tasks like that.

The result of all this was that I found it easy to get distracted and play something else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Honestly the biggest issue I had with FFXV was that you held down the button to combo or dodge. It just felt really wrong to me.