Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

gohmak posted:

Wasn't it intentional? The point of the movie was that replicants are treated inhumanly even though they are more human that the human characters.

Of course it was intentional, that doesn't make it not uncomfortable. Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all time, but I would never begrudge someone for not liking that part or if it hurts the movie for them overall.

Skippy McPants posted:

Uhh, not really. I mean, yeah that's a theme of the movie, but the film frames that moment as a romantic.

After many takes on how the scene should play out they intentionally chose sappy romantic music to make it more disturbing. It's "framed" as romantic to show how hosed up that is.

And they were right, I remember throughout the internet until relatively recently people would read that scene as like her wonderful sexual awakening that makes her a better life form all thanks to Rick Deckard - Lots of folks just rolled with it like Deckard was totally cool there.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Neo Rasa posted:

After many takes on how the scene should play out they intentionally chose sappy romantic music to make it more disturbing. It's "framed" as romantic to show how hosed up that is.

Pretty sure you're wrong and you're giving Ridley Scott way too much credit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Kavanaugh said he was accused of being in gangs (and on boats??) in his opening statement.

Was that in reference to the gang rape accusations? Cause lol come on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's loving crazy that that kind of semantics is not just laughed at, that Kavanaugh and people around him are able to be like he couldn't have been involved in a gangrape since he wasn't technically a gang member and 30% of the country will think that is reasonable.

Bottom Liner posted:

Pretty sure you're wrong and you're giving Ridley Scott way too much credit.

I'm pretty sure I'm right because they talk about this in one of the documentaries about the movie and show a ton of test footage going for various tones for the scene and how dangerous or intense or not they wanted the music to be before settling on what they went with.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stop watching movies nobody watched.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
Is that scene in the Final Cut? I just watched it in an article about it and I feel like the severity of Deckard's intentions would not have just flown over my head, but for the life of me I can't remember that scene at all.

Edit: don't wanna derail sorry here's a tweet I made mocking pissant pirro

https://twitter.com/TheWorstAmy/status/1046280671356948481

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes it's in the final cut.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm right because they talk about this in one of the documentaries about the movie and show a ton of test footage going for various tones for the scene and how dangerous or intense or not they wanted the music to be before settling on what they went with.

quote:

One could chalk this up to the old, male idea that women, even android women, want to be dominated in the bedroom, but details from the original production suggest that the scene only took a forceful turn when a softer approach failed to work on set. According to the 2007 documentary Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner, Young and Ford had little chemistry during the initial takes, so the planned love scene was scrapped and Scott suggested that Ford get rough. As Young recollects in the doc, after tenderness failed, Scott told Ford to push her up against the wall. "I remember being really surprised," Young says. "I think I was crying afterwards too."

So yeah, they changed the scene to that tone, not the music. Ridley Scott was not trying to make some subversive statement, he was making his character into a villain by being hosed up himself.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Majorian posted:

What he said was pretty lovely, but it was a distressingly common standpoint in Hollywood at the time (and still is). At least he backed off on it.

Out of interest, was Julianna Margulies being lovely when she agreed with him?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheWorstAmy posted:

Is that scene in the Final Cut? I just watched it in an article about it and I feel like the severity of Deckard's intentions would not have just flown over my head, but for the life of me I can't remember that scene at all.

Edit: don't wanna derail sorry here's a tweet I made mocking pissant pirro

https://twitter.com/TheWorstAmy/status/1046280671356948481

It's in the final cut.

Bottom Liner posted:

So yeah, they changed the scene to that tone, not the music. Ridley Scott was not trying to make some subversive statement, he was making his character into a villain by being hosed up himself.

They absolutely bring up the music for that scene right around the very part of the documentary you're quoting a description of, like I don't know what more you want here. Ridley Scott comes off like a huge rear end in a top hat throughout the making of contents, that doesn't invalidate how the scene ended up or how Young and Ford played it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 30, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/TheWorstAmy/status/1046064956481970176

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

someone irl posted that emote and i realized he was a goon who's lurking this thread.

so hi!

that or our cultural reach is far further than we thought.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Out of interest, was Julianna Margulies being lovely when she agreed with him?

Probably? I haven't heard her quote. I do like her as an actor though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The invisible hand strikes again!

It's really nuts how much way too many people saw Kavanaugh's behavior and think he came off as upstanding and strong. Like the mental contortion needed to believe that this guy LOVES beer and still drinks beer all the time today and goes to parties and all the time throughout his young adulthood but somehow in this magical way where no one ever saw him get intoxicated ever at any time. And just HOW MUCH everything about him was "abusive person 101" with how super defensive and blubbering he got about immediately blaming whoever was asking him a question for the thing he was being asked about.

That really was surreal and I honestly thought that was going to be it for him, but the GOP just REALLY needs to drive home how subhuman they think women are. And that's the only reason because, as much as they want a hatchetman and as much he was Trump's personal pick, they could easily have found someone else to fill those same roles and they'd just need him to shake Trump's hand and say hi for two seconds before Trump would start talking about what a wonderful person he is and whatever.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Remember when Republicans said Obama cozied up to dictators?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Here's the full SNL open. The tweet left off a few of his friends, like Gang Bang Greg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJecfRxbr8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Trazz posted:

Remember when Republicans said Obama cozied up to dictators?

A big part of McCain's campaign was that unlike this naive fool Obama, McCain would NEVER talk to an enemy without extremely favorable pre-conditions, and his example was that he wouldn't even talk to SPAIN without pre-conditions. Obama being weak and naive regarding keeping the US safe was a thing before he even set foot in the White House.

And throughout the 2016 Republican primary, at all 13 or whatever of those debates a huge part of the questions was basically "How hard will YOU destroy Iran and manhandle Putin?" and there was a bi-weekly pissing contest between every candidate about how hard on Putin they were going to be unlike Rotten Hillary who sold him all of our uranium.

Then like literally 48 hours after he won the nomination Trump was like "Wouldn't it be great the US and Russia could be friends?" and the entire party just rolled over for it.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Stepped into the wayback machine and started watching Dennis Miller Live on HBO. Literally talking about the same problems we have now except tapped in 97. Shocking bit he had Charleton Heston on for the NRA and Heston agreed there needed to be better ways of how we handle guns. Dennis was telling jokes that didn't trigger his loving audience and people seemed loving reasonable when it came to the national conversations taking place. Now I'm trying to place where poo poo really went off the rails. I mean I know it wasn't perfect before it wasn't like the poo poo sandwich we are collectively eating right now. Of course that's my opinion I could be wrong :colbert:

fox news, old scared people feedback loop worked its way into a frenzy

old scared people still watch tv and fox wants viewers

old scared people vote so have disproportionate power.

old scared people also control christian leadership teachings so their stupidity works its way down to the younger christians

you also have scared blue collars in rural america feeding from the fear teat

internet and facebook allowed all this fear and hatred to isolate, bubble itself into feedback loop impervious to reasonable discussion and immune to facts

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t believe his cartoons ever see physical print.

You say that, but this is a picture I took at Vemork, a hydroelectric power plant near Rjukan, Norway, that was used by the Nazi's to produce heavy water during WWII, at an exposition about the history of communism in the region last year.

Edit: part of the exposition was about current developments in politics in Norway, the EU and the US, which explains the subject. The cartoon was not treated as a good thing, btw.

Martian fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 30, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It's really nuts how much way too many people saw Kavanaugh's behavior and think he came off as upstanding and strong. Like the mental contortion needed to believe that this guy LOVES beer and still drinks beer all the time today and goes to parties and all the time throughout his young adulthood but somehow in this magical way where no one ever saw him get intoxicated ever at any time. And just HOW MUCH everything about him was "abusive person 101" with how super defensive and blubbering he got about immediately blaming whoever was asking him a question for the thing he was being asked about.

That really was surreal and I honestly thought that was going to be it for him, but the GOP just REALLY needs to drive home how subhuman they think women are. And that's the only reason because, as much as they want a hatchetman and as much he was Trump's personal pick, they could easily have found someone else to fill those same roles and they'd just need him to shake Trump's hand and say hi for two seconds before Trump would start talking about what a wonderful person he is and whatever.

Similar to Trump, a lot of people men see themselves in Kavanaugh. Watching him lash out is extremely cathartic for them because they too feel attacked, penned in by a changing world that tells them they're wrong; that standards of behavior they've accepted as given their whole life are no longer acceptable.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

I am conflicted. Obviously the open-carry nazi chuds are the worst. Protesting them is cool. But those "black bloc" idiots are straight up dummies too.

Was the crusader also angry at the neo-nazi open carry chuds or only the black bloc doofus's? I want to like crusader man but not if he is a big ol' nazi sympathizer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skyarb posted:

I am conflicted.

You shouldn't be. It's okay to be lame; it's not okay to be a nazi.

See also: Juggalos and Furries.

Edit: Hah! My loving spell checker recognizes both 'Furries' and 'Juggalos'. The future is pretty cool sometimes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skyarb posted:

I am conflicted. Obviously the open-carry nazi chuds are the worst. Protesting them is cool. But those "black bloc" idiots are straight up dummies too.

Was the crusader also angry at the neo-nazi open carry chuds or only the black bloc doofus's? I want to like crusader man but not if he is a big ol' nazi sympathizer.

Yes, Crusader Cosplay dude is a Nazi sympathizer. That should kind of be an instant tell in and of itself, no? Anyone who really unironically loves the Crusades and goes out of their way to dress as a medieval knight templar in Two Thousand and Eighteen Anno Domini is probably a really huge and gross racist and in favor of ethnic cleansing, which is what the Crusades were all about.

And the fact that you want to like Crusader Dude on face value and want to Both Sides like a motherfucker is also highly distressing... :stare:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Crusader Cosplay dude is a Nazi sympathizer. That should kind of be an instant tell in and of itself, no? Anyone who really unironically loves the Crusades and goes out of their way to dress as a medieval knight templar in Two Thousand and Eighteen Anno Domini is probably a really huge and gross racist and in favor of ethnic cleansing.

And the fact that you want to like Crusader Dude on face value and want to Both Sides like a motherfucker is also highly distressing... :stare:

Maybe he just likes dark soul memes :(

Look man I am optimistic ok?!

Damnit nazi crusader you could have been a goofy cool dude and not a goofy neo nazi.

edit: I only want to like him cause I like cosplay

double edit: I want to point out I am not both sidings. Neo nazis are the worst. I don't like black bloc but that doesn't mean they are even in the same hemisphere as neo nazis. Black bloc are just dumb, neo nazis should be punched.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 30, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skyarb posted:

Maybe he just likes dark soul memes :(

Look man I am optimistic ok?!

Damnit nazi crusader you could have been a goofy cool dude and not a goofy neo nazi.

Fair enough. Just quick short hand for Dark Souls fan v. Nazi knight cosplay: Sun on the surcoat and arms out stretched in a Y-pose? Dark Souls fan and probably a chill dude. Red templar cross on the surcoat and shouting "DEUS VULT!"? loving Nazi.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Fair enough. Just quick short hand for Dark Souls fan v. Nazi knight cosplay: Sun on the surcoat? Dark Souls fan and probably a chill dude. Red templar cross on the surcoat? loving Nazi.

This makes a lot of sense, I apologize for even seeming to be in support of nazi scum.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

axeil posted:

someone irl posted that emote and i realized he was a goon who's lurking this thread.

so hi!

that or our cultural reach is far further than we thought.

How does one post irl

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I've let chuds take away a lot of poo poo, but they can't have Knights. Knights are cool damnit! :catbert:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Sanguinia posted:

I've let chuds take away a lot of poo poo, but they can't have Knights. Knights are cool damnit! :catbert:

Heavy knights were unable to take off their armor without help so during battles they had to poo poo in their armor.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

logger posted:

Heavy knights were unable to take off their armor without help so during battles they had to poo poo in their armor.

I don't care about gross, embarrassing or horrific historical facts nor the horrific nature of feudalism and the economic and social inequities that Knights both required and exploited. KNIGHTS ARE COOL.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

logger posted:

Source? Sceptical that professional killers who expected to fight a lot wore something they couldn’t take off in a hurry if they needed to.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

So the ol tale where knights stab each other in the dangle sack just got even more funny.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

logger posted:

Okay but like... if there is a battle actively going on basically everyone has to poo poo themselves. What are you gonna do? Drop trou in the middle of agincourt or wherever?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Neo Rasa posted:

It's really nuts how much way too many people saw Kavanaugh's behavior and think he came off as upstanding and strong.

I can think of various possible explanations (eg wishful thinking, identification with old white men etc), but I do wonder if there is evidence for inability to read body language being correlated with right wingery. Aren't they supposed to be more vulnerable to scams?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sanguinia posted:

To paraphrase a post in cspam:

They already have knights. Every community apart from the academic one that cares about medieval combat is chud-city, right down to dungeons and dragons.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

BardoTheConsumer posted:

To paraphrase a post in cspam:

They already have knights. Every community apart from the academic one that cares about medieval combat is chud-city, right down to dungeons and dragons.

Blasphemy. My circle of D&D tabletop players are universally far left liberals. Don't burst my bubble!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I don't care about gross, embarrassing or horrific historical facts nor the horrific nature of feudalism and the economic and social inequities that Knights both required and exploited. KNIGHTS ARE COOL.

Eh, the Crusaders were not the good guys; they were a bunch of violent idiots manipulated by Pope Urban into fighting someone else so he could consolidate power.

I'm sorry friend but Knights, like Samurai and Roman Legionaries, are intrinsically more closely aligned with Chud'ish than anything else. They were all agents of brutal authoritarian power structures. It's okay to think they're cool, in the same way you might think stormtroopers and Darth Vader are cool. But don't lose sight of what they represent.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Gyges posted:

49/49 between backtracking after getting caught and lying about it not being true when it absolutely is. Like how there was totally no official policy of separation.

2% He actually didn't know/forgot/didn't understand it was true and now the FBI ignores the previous orders and wave this tweet around while exceeding their original 1 week mandate.

eke out posted:

so sounds like the FBI leaking did its job, i'm sure the same people will be happy to tell the media tomorrow whether the white house actually lifted the restrictions or not

also presidential tweets are official communications, it sounds a lot like any authority cited to restrict them is no longer valid...

quote:

thats what he said, that's what i said that's what our position is...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh, the Crusaders were not the good guys; they were a bunch of violent idiots manipulated by Pope Urban into fighting someone else so he could consolidate power.

I'm sorry friend but Knights, like Samurai and Roman Legionaries, are intrinsically more closely aligned with Chud'ish than anything else. They were all agents of brutal authoritarian power structures. It's okay to think they're cool, in the same way you might think stormtroopers and Darth Vader are cool. But don't lose sight of what they represent.

Wait, so Deus Vult guys are actually bad? Big if true

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheWorstAmy posted:

You still had John Oliver :( I mean I know he catches a lot of crap for his "IT'S [CURRENT YEAR]" stuff, but I've always found him both entertaining and informative, and as a bonus, he doesn't snuggle up with Milo Yiannopoulos or lose debates to Steve loving Bannon

He also lost a debate to Bill Frist over loving vaccinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Crusader Cosplay dude is a Nazi sympathizer. That should kind of be an instant tell in and of itself, no? Anyone who really unironically loves the Crusades and goes out of their way to dress as a medieval knight templar in Two Thousand and Eighteen Anno Domini is probably a really huge and gross racist and in favor of ethnic cleansing, which is what the Crusades were all about.

What if I'm dressing like a Templar to own the French and the Pope?

• Locked thread