Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Pictured - My cat trying to drink water

I watched one of my cats determinedly licking the outside of the water fountain this morning. Furry little idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

One of my cats went through a brief phase where she would attempt to drink by dipping her paw in the water and then licking the top of her paw, the part that had not been in the water.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

slave to my cravings posted:

My dumb cat opened the hallway closet door and somehow locked himself inside at 1:30am. :bang:

Mine apparently got into the medicine cabinet, the contents were distributed throughout the bathroom. Must have made quite a racket. She loooooves my nail clippers, qtips, and my anti teeth grinding dental appliance that was not in there because it was in my mouth; the case was clear on the other side of the bathroom in the tub.

Any tips to get my cats to sleep in my bed with me? The old one used to do it, but now he leaves as soon as the kitten appears, and the kitten follows him out. They get along fine for the most part otherwise, but the kitten will not leave his tail alone in bed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat has decided to start slipping his collar which means i get hunted more. Are non-breakaway collars safe or should i just keep putting his back on?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Len posted:

rear end in a top hat has decided to start slipping his collar which means i get hunted more. Are non-breakaway collars safe or should i just keep putting his back on?

No they are not
Yes you should

Cats jump around a lot. If the collar gets caught on something while the cat is jumping down from wherever, it either breaks away or strangles the cat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Good to know. I'll also have my fiancee warn her sister of that as she just ordered this monstrosity for her cat as a Christmas present.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao a $225 cat collar when your cat is just going to lose it right away

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao a $225 cat collar when your cat is just going to lose it right away

I know right?

And to think she complains about how her job doesn't pay enough :eyeroll:

I bought ours a $5 collar and even after 3 years I still think I overpaid. Bastards been slipping it lately and I don't know why that's his new thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have cheap collars with breakaway clips that I'll stick on the cats when I'm taking them to the vet but thats about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat has one that functions as an early warning sign when he's on the prowl for toes. He gets significantly cockier when he doesn't jingle.

Usually he's fine with it but sometimes he gets off a kick where he doesn't want it because cat things.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

I watched one of my cats determinedly licking the outside of the water fountain this morning. Furry little idiot.

I caught my cat licking my margarine because I had absentmindedly left the lid off. The top of the margarine is really smooth now. I wondered why she was looking so pleased with her self, licking her chops.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

ZoeDomingo posted:

My 2-year-old cat Henry is at the emergency vet for the 2nd time with a bladder blockage. He's doing okay but the doc raised the possibility of doing a Perineal Urethrostomy. I'm researching it to get more info. If anyone has had a cat who got this surgery, can you tell me how your cat did? How old was he when he had the surgery, how well did he tolerate the recovery, does/did he have good quality of life after? And if you also have/had other cats at the same time, did they get along afterwards or did they treat him differently? Thank you!

I think this post got missed in the mix. Has anyone had a cat that has had this procedure and can address the OPs concerns?

Googling alerted me to a few things:

- This is a procedure they do on male humans sometimes where they install a Panama Canal like bypass from the urethra through the taint.
- Years as a goon and resulting exposure to Goatse will make you shrug off the GIS results for the term.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Well friends, I've finally been able to get a companion for my Siamese buddy, Niko. He's almost 5 years old now, a rescue, and previously I was unable to adopt a second cat. However, we've now got a Lilac Point to go along with our Chocolate Point :3:

They have been doing very well over the past day and a half. There has been some hissing on behalf of the old cat (I feel weird saying "old cat" like that) but the new cat has taken VERY well to his new home and new brother. So far, the hissing has only been one-sided, and the new cat seems nothing if not curious. They have progressively gotten closer and closer to each other through the course of today - with supervision - and so far I have only witnessed one swat and a small amount of hissing. I think it bodes well for the future, but I'm gonna keep easing them into it slowly. Right now they still have their separate quarters that can be split with a gate if things were to take a turn for the worse, but as of right now I'm totally impressed at how seemingly comfortable this new cat is.

I feel a little bad for Niko, my longtime buddy. I've been trying to give him some love to show him that the new cat is not a replacement. I'm sure after being king of the house for a couple years, it will take a little time to get used to a younger, smaller buddy also sharing the same space.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I feel a little bad for Niko, my longtime buddy. I've been trying to give him some love to show him that the new cat is not a replacement. I'm sure after being king of the house for a couple years, it will take a little time to get used to a younger, smaller buddy also sharing the same space.

Yeah, this takes a while. It's been ~ 3-4 months here and my old man is still clearly not really sure what to think of this sometimes; it doesn't help that almost every time I try to spend some 1-on-1 time with him the kitten Kramers into it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Right now the two cats are sitting in the same picture window, at opposite ends. Niko took a step towards the other cat and very quietly hissed, but then turned back around to look out the window some more. I have not yet had to separate them, and they have seemed to get closer to each other naturally. I DID have to block the new cat from getting comfy in Niko's bed, because I'm sure that would cause all kinds of havoc.

They're meezers and very smart cats. Once the initial "oh hey, you're not a threat" thing sets in, I'm convinced they'll be good friends based on what I've seen so far. The new cat clearly spent a lot of time around other cats before ending up with me because he has been so great at avoiding conflict and acting as harmless and unimposing as possible.

UPDATE: And of course, as I say that, the new cat has slowly walked over to Niko's end and sat on the blanket next to him, which is clearly something Niko is not thrilled with as he has now jumped off the window and slowly moved away into a bedroom. The new cat just wants to hang out and Niko is not ready for any of that yet :(

The question is, do I remove the new cat from that blanket? That has traditionally been one (of many) spots that Niko has slept. I don't want Niko to feel like the new cat is encroaching on territory any more than he already has, but I'm also a little heartened that the new cat is very clearly comfortable with Niko's scent.

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 30, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Right now the two cats are sitting in the same picture window, at opposite ends. Niko took a step towards the other cat and very quietly hissed, but then turned back around to look out the window some more. I have not yet had to separate them, and they have seemed to get closer to each other naturally. I DID have to block the new cat from getting comfy in Niko's bed, because I'm sure that would cause all kinds of havoc.

They're meezers and very smart cats. Once the initial "oh hey, you're not a threat" thing sets in, I'm convinced they'll be good friends based on what I've seen so far. The new cat clearly spent a lot of time around other cats before ending up with me because he has been so great at avoiding conflict and acting as harmless and unimposing as possible.

UPDATE: And of course, as I say that, the new cat has slowly walked over to Niko's end and sat on the blanket next to him, which is clearly something Niko is not thrilled with as he has now jumped off the window and slowly moved away into a bedroom. The new cat just wants to hang out and Niko is not ready for any of that yet :(

The question is, do I remove the new cat from that blanket? That has traditionally been one (of many) spots that Niko has slept. I don't want Niko to feel like the new cat is encroaching on territory any more than he already has, but I'm also a little heartened that the new cat is very clearly comfortable with Niko's scent.

Nah, let them figure it out on their own. As long as there isn't blood. I stepped in twice because my big cat had the kitten trapped and screaming, but both times within seconds the kitten bounced around and jumped back into it. If he wants his blanket back he'll let the kitten know.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Nah, let them figure it out on their own. As long as there isn't blood. I stepped in twice because my big cat had the kitten trapped and screaming, but both times within seconds the kitten bounced around and jumped back into it. If he wants his blanket back he'll let the kitten know.

Good to know. Niko is now in his #1 primary sleeping spot, which is under the covers on the bed. I guess I should clarify - the new cat isn't really a kitten, he's a year and a half old. I've been trying to let them get together as naturally as possible - we did the door thing and the two cats just sat on the opposite sides of the door for EVER until we opened it up a bit and let them interact on opposite sides of a window screen.

And of course, meet Tuukka (perched on Niko's blanket) :3

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pixelante posted:

Jesus, that's a nightmare. Try calling around to cat rescues and see if any of them can foster your guys through end-of-life? I know the rescue I volunteered with has a few cats who will just live out their days in foster care. It's a hard sell right after kitten season, but try. The kindest thing might be to put them down, but try for a hail mary first.

Who's issuing the ultimatum?

My Dad. He hates them, ever since Bobo, the younger one with diabetes, started having accidents. He kind of seems more angry about the messes than the allergies. Last summer, Bobo started having accidents in the main room in the basement. I put a litter box in a closet at the base of the stairs, which helped. And now this summer, he's doing it again. He can reach the litter boxes, but keeps getting attracted to that same spot. I've tried to clean every mess I could find with enzymatic cleaner, but it wasn't enough. A big diarrhea turd that got left by the front door a few weeks ago, and he told me the cats had to go. We had the carpets professionally cleaned, but it hasn't gotten rid of the smell in the basement. I've gone nose blind to cat pee, but he hasn't. What set off the actual one-week ultimatum, after the constipation incident, was just him going down into the basement. He's relented on the ultimatum since, but still wants them gone.

My sister was a nanny for a woman who would carry her cat's IV bags for its advanced kidney problems, so she's pretty shook at Missy, the older of the two, having some elevated kidney numbers. She seems achy sometimes, but other times she's fine. She cries like she wants something a lot, but she still seeks me or my sister out, seems to have healthy enough of an appetite, grooms herself, and climbs on things. Sister wants me to have Missy put to sleep. I know that putting them down might be more humane than having them spend their days terrified in a shelter where they may not get adopted, but I talked to a place that does at-home euthanasia and they refuse to do it unless they're terminally ill.

I talked to my city's animal shelter, and they may be able to fast-track them into another rescue organization that would probably be less loud for them. I should hear back on Monday. It's going to suck for them either way. I'm in the Detroit area if anyone knows any organizations. It's surprising and disheartening how little all the people I talked to seem to know about each other. I've kept typing and retyping a Facebook post about it asking for advice, or even someone to take them, but I haven't talked to those people in years and I get nervous.

These were the family cats until my mom died, and I took over feeding duties as the only person in the house who liked them both (Bobo was friendly towards people, sister didn't like how he sometimes bullied Missy. She warmed back up to him once he got diabetes). Then it was made official when I said I'd take care of everything when Bobo was diagnosed with diabetes, and I'm solely responsible for the decision now.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 1, 2018

pluckyginger
Sep 16, 2012
Late for maine coon chat, but I have a maine coon and he is a thicc boy even at 6months of age (10lbs already...). We met his grandfather when we picked him up from the breeder and he was just... the biggest cat I have ever touched.

Here is a shot of our monstrous boy with a tube of cling wrap for scale:

Here is a pic of a fully grown maine coon I met at a cat show back in feb with human for scale:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pluckyginger posted:

Late for maine coon chat, but I have a maine coon and he is a thicc boy even at 6months of age (10lbs already...). We met his grandfather when we picked him up from the breeder and he was just... the biggest cat I have ever touched.

Here is a shot of our monstrous boy with a tube of cling wrap for scale:

Yeah, Princess is nowhere near that big, though she's still growing steadily and is only around four months old, at most five although almost certainly not quite that yet. She does have that same fur thing he does there, the shorter "band" along the front shoulders and legs, though, which is interesting. That's the first good picture I've seen of that on another cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A lot of longer furred domestic cats have that though. My first enormously incorrect assumption was that the shorter fur marked where the cat could reach with its tongue :v

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

A lot of longer furred domestic cats have that though. My first enormously incorrect assumption was that the shorter fur marked where the cat could reach with its tongue :v

It goes to the shoulder and they can lick the floof, though. My guess is that it's a genetic adaptation. That's where a lot of movement happens and causes the worst coat binding.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Maine Coons are big big BIG boys and girls

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

anachrodragon posted:

On this note, I think this one is fairly common:

My Cat Wakes Me Up in the Middle of the Night!

Does your cat sleep all day, and then harass you all night? Well two can play at that game. Wake that bastard up! Play with them until they're tired out, and they'll be more likely to sleep through the night... and so will you. Laser pointers are great for this.

This better work because my 5.5 year old cat suddenly decided about a month ago that 4:30-5:30 AM is a great time to paw at my head and purr loudly until I wake up. Getting up, pushing him away, and locking him in the room while I go pass out again on the couch hasn't made him associate "wake human up" with "now I'm lonely and didn't get attention", so now this is my plan. Thanks, OP! Wish me luck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This does not work if you’re at work the rest of the day cause then they just sleep during that time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugh, man, my gf and I are friends with a couple who recently adopted a kitten as their first pet together and they 100% became cat people (much like myself) quickly and really took to this cat. He's been great and they bonded a lot, they even taught the cat to fetch his toys. They found out yesterday after a visit to the vet that he has FeLV and won't make it past the end of the month. They're going to put him down today I think. Obviously they're devastated, I can't even imagine having to go through something like this after spending 3 months growing attached to him. Hug your furballs today, I know I gave mine some extended hugs last night after hearing the news. :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

explosivo posted:

Ugh, man, my gf and I are friends with a couple who recently adopted a kitten as their first pet together and they 100% became cat people (much like myself) quickly and really took to this cat. He's been great and they bonded a lot, they even taught the cat to fetch his toys. They found out yesterday after a visit to the vet that he has FeLV and won't make it past the end of the month. They're going to put him down today I think. Obviously they're devastated, I can't even imagine having to go through something like this after spending 3 months growing attached to him. Hug your furballs today, I know I gave mine some extended hugs last night after hearing the news. :smith:

This is very very lovely :smith: Remind them that however long they had with their kitten friend, they gave him a wonderful life of fun, love, warmth, and plenty. No kitten could ask for more.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

I could use some reassurance, or brutal honesty to help steel myself.

Took my kitten in to the emergency vet because she became lethargic this past week and I noticed her breathing was too fast to be normal. Turns out she also had a fever.

They found fluid in her lungs. Money is tight as gently caress, so for now they're removing the fluid and will be sending her home afterwards with some antibiotics in the hopes it's an infection or some such.

There's also the possibility it's FIP. :smith: I have another cat so this could be a loving nightmare.

Anyone have any experience with this situation? How likely is FIP? Is there any loving chance it's something else and my kitten will be okay? This whole shot in the dark with the antibiotics, basically a wait-and-see approach, has me really panicked.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

I could use some reassurance, or brutal honesty to help steel myself.

Took my kitten in to the emergency vet because she became lethargic this past week and I noticed her breathing was too fast to be normal. Turns out she also had a fever.

They found fluid in her lungs. Money is tight as gently caress, so for now they're removing the fluid and will be sending her home afterwards with some antibiotics in the hopes it's an infection or some such.

There's also the possibility it's FIP. :smith: I have another cat so this could be a loving nightmare.

Anyone have any experience with this situation? How likely is FIP? Is there any loving chance it's something else and my kitten will be okay? This whole shot in the dark with the antibiotics, basically a wait-and-see approach, has me really panicked.

Our cat Chili was in almost the exact same situation last year in november. Same symptoms, kitten, everything.

The vet had to try three antibiotics before they found one that was actually working. They even had to take some of the fluid (or tissue? dont remember) from the lungs to find out what kind of antibiotics she needed. At that point she already had problems breathing for almost three months which also caused the heart to grow bigger (dont remember exactly why that happened but that's what the vet said). We were absolutely devastated by this diagnosis. After all she was only six months old! We had to give her meds twice a day for more than a year now. We have an appointment with the vet next week for an ultrasound to see if she has finally completely recovered but we definitely notice that she is much more playful and that she can take deep breaths again. Also she has grown substantially since last november (up to almost 6,5kg now without being fat).

So yeah, there absolutely is a chance that your kitten will recover.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Here's the gang

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Both of your cattes are adorable. I am of the opinion though that saucer-eyed black kitties are especially so.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Our cat Chili was in almost the exact same situation last year in november. Same symptoms, kitten, everything.

The vet had to try three antibiotics before they found one that was actually working. They even had to take some of the fluid (or tissue? dont remember) from the lungs to find out what kind of antibiotics she needed. At that point she already had problems breathing for almost three months which also caused the heart to grow bigger (dont remember exactly why that happened but that's what the vet said). We were absolutely devastated by this diagnosis. After all she was only six months old! We had to give her meds twice a day for more than a year now. We have an appointment with the vet next week for an ultrasound to see if she has finally completely recovered but we definitely notice that she is much more playful and that she can take deep breaths again. Also she has grown substantially since last november (up to almost 6,5kg now without being fat).

So yeah, there absolutely is a chance that your kitten will recover.

The difference in our kitten was night and day after we took her home from the emergency vet. They removed the fluid from her chest cavity and she was back to old self. We were also given some antibiotics to give her.

Unfortunately, she's showing the symptoms she had in the first place -- trouble breathing, lethargic. I can only assume the fluid returned. I don't know what to do now. I don't have the money to have the fluid removed again, nor go with the full treatment plan the vet recommended, which cost $1,800 ~ $2,300. I was only given just enough of a credit limit to pay for the first emergency pet visit, so that's out.

I really, really don't want to put her down. I lost two cats earlier this year. My father, aunt, and cousin, all to different types of cancer, earlier this year. I know it's irrational but I want to fight for my kitten so goddamn bad. I've already had to mourn so much, I feel like this might break me.

How quickly did Chili's fluid return? In all the time you've had to give her antibiotics, did you also have to keep removing the fluid, and if so how often? I hope you don't mind me asking all of this, I'm just so utterly panicked and desperate. I really appreciate you sharing your experience, it really gave me so much hope, but watching my own cat now... I just want to know if it'll be realistic to try and proceed with the full recommended treatment plan.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Posting pictures is too damb easy with the app

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Good cats.
One of my cats. Bumps/burrows her head against my chest and armpit. She’s purring really loudly.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 5, 2018

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I need to get a video of Jackie trying to jump up onto my bed, which for the first time since I moved into my new apartment is on a proper bedframe that's actually maybe an inch or two higher than most - it has a fairly high headboard and is made of nice wood, etc... Jackie is not only overweight but also a pretty terrible jumper (the counter is way out of her reach for example) and a bed like this new one is at the VERY TOP of her jumping ability, so it's a perpetual challenge for her.

What happens about half of the time is that she doesn't quite make it, and winds up with her front paws fully extended, claws dug into the comforter, desperately trying to pull herself up as she slowly recedes further downwards as her weight starts slowly pulling down the comforter she's trying to climb :xd: I really need to get a video of this, and I will, truly

You know what it's like? That scene in the intro sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Indiana Jones has to make the jump over the pit to get out of the temple. He makes a noble effort and doesn't quite make it, and he has to try and climb up the wall using this vine, but as he pulls on the vine it starts to come lose from his weight and pulls him down... that is the scene/image I think of *every* time Jackie tries to make the jump, because it's really JUST like that!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

kaworu posted:

I need to get a video of Jackie trying to jump up onto my bed, which for the first time since I moved into my new apartment is on a proper bedframe that's actually maybe an inch or two higher than most - it has a fairly high headboard and is made of nice wood, etc... Jackie is not only overweight but also a pretty terrible jumper (the counter is way out of her reach for example) and a bed like this new one is at the VERY TOP of her jumping ability, so it's a perpetual challenge for her.

What happens about half of the time is that she doesn't quite make it, and winds up with her front paws fully extended, claws dug into the comforter, desperately trying to pull herself up as she slowly recedes further downwards as her weight starts slowly pulling down the comforter she's trying to climb :xd: I really need to get a video of this, and I will, truly

You know what it's like? That scene in the intro sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Indiana Jones has to make the jump over the pit to get out of the temple. He makes a noble effort and doesn't quite make it, and he has to try and climb up the wall using this vine, but as he pulls on the vine it starts to come lose from his weight and pulls him down... that is the scene/image I think of *every* time Jackie tries to make the jump, because it's really JUST like that!

You monster, get her a stool!

I meanwhile have watched my kitten go from a similar scenario except she's small enough to pull up the rest of the way to being able to reach the bed in a single bound :3:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm not that bad.. I actually created a series of 'steps' - meaning the mattress and box-spring are not flush, there is a ledge there plenty big to catch the backsliding feet of a certain kitty-cat. So once her back legs hit those she can triumphantly climb up easily and in a dignified manner...

Honestly, I'm glad she gest the jumping in... she's an older cat - turning 13 in about a month, and she's also on the heavy side. Since she can't go outside in this new apartment at all (very very dangerous road only a few feet from the front door and only a few more from the back door). Leashing her has never really worked, either. But she's honestly pretty happy to be inside, as long as I always devote time to her. She has gotten even clingier, somehow!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

You monster, get her a stool!

I meanwhile have watched my kitten go from a similar scenario except she's small enough to pull up the rest of the way to being able to reach the bed in a single bound :3:

Oliver needed a stool when his arthritis started around 14 and by the time he passed away at 18 he was using a set of plastic granny stairs. But there was abolutely no way he was giving up on his bed comforts.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Any recommendations on any hairball products? Spoiled (girl cat) really likes grooming Toshiro (old man cat) and he sheds like crazy even with daily brushing. I can't use hairball cat food because they have to eat urinary tract food since she's gotten bladder stones in the past. I've been using Temptations hairball treats and they are hit and miss, I'd like to get something I can easily mix in the wet food I give them everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

The difference in our kitten was night and day after we took her home from the emergency vet. They removed the fluid from her chest cavity and she was back to old self. We were also given some antibiotics to give her.

Unfortunately, she's showing the symptoms she had in the first place -- trouble breathing, lethargic. I can only assume the fluid returned. I don't know what to do now. I don't have the money to have the fluid removed again, nor go with the full treatment plan the vet recommended, which cost $1,800 ~ $2,300. I was only given just enough of a credit limit to pay for the first emergency pet visit, so that's out.

I really, really don't want to put her down. I lost two cats earlier this year. My father, aunt, and cousin, all to different types of cancer, earlier this year. I know it's irrational but I want to fight for my kitten so goddamn bad. I've already had to mourn so much, I feel like this might break me.

How quickly did Chili's fluid return? In all the time you've had to give her antibiotics, did you also have to keep removing the fluid, and if so how often? I hope you don't mind me asking all of this, I'm just so utterly panicked and desperate. I really appreciate you sharing your experience, it really gave me so much hope, but watching my own cat now... I just want to know if it'll be realistic to try and proceed with the full recommended treatment plan.

Chilis fluid never returned according the x-ray. We played with her 20 minutes nonstop today and she didnt even start to pant like she used to when things were worse. It appears she fully recovered. The next and hopefully last examination will be on tuesday.

So, yeah, again: Keep your head up, there is a good chance of recovery.