Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HairyManling posted:

Serious question: Why did they even need to cap the borehole? It’s not very wide, right? It’s not like someone was going to fall down it.

:nallears: Yes, but as evidenced by the above discourse, who what might come up? better safe than sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

HairyManling posted:

Serious question: Why did they even need to cap the borehole? It’s not very wide, right? It’s not like someone was going to fall down it.

To prevent decadent capitalist tourist from taking a poo poo into it and possibly beating longstanding, glorious record set by Alexei "Long Bomber" Kuznetsov in 1990.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

tribbledirigible posted:

To prevent decadent capitalist tourist from taking a poo poo into it and possibly beating longstanding, glorious record set by Alexei "Long Bomber" Kuznetsov in 1990.

The only way to beat this record would be to expose your butt to the vacuum and poop out the ISS. Some say it could years for the poo poo to reenter the atmosphere.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HairyManling posted:

To keep the demons in, obviously

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Someone tried to gently caress the borehole, didn’t they? That has to be the real reason.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Buddy they don't even let me gently caress the borehole

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Someone tried to gently caress the borehole, didn’t they? That has to be the real reason.

I he wants to gently caress the earth, he just dump untreated coal plant runoff into freshwater streams like everyone else.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BlockChainNetflix posted:

The only way to beat this record would be to expose your butt to the vacuum and poop out the ISS. Some say it could years for the poo poo to reenter the atmosphere.

Nah, you’d just have to position a tall enough ladder above the borehole.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BlockChainNetflix posted:

with the right preparation and the right angle, you could fire a burning frozen turd straight through whatever person you might choose, and at terminal velocity no less!

Which brings me to the actual historical content of this post: Peter Freuchen was one of the early polar explorers. Once, he got lost in the night or his crew was lost, I don't know. Point being he woke up inside his tent and it was covered with snow that was frozen over, so basically inside an iceberg. Man of action, he pooped a turd and shaped it on the floor and then used it as a chisel to dig himself out.

Another time he cut his own frostbitten/gangrenous leg off with a pocket knife. Not sure if he knew the poop-trick at that time.

cf. historical photos thread for a photo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not as hardass as the soviet antarctic researcher who did his own appendectomy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HairyManling posted:

But enough about your mother.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When Caesar defeated the celts he looted so much treasure that the price of gold dropped by 25% in Rome.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
One weird trick....

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cf also Musa I who depressed the price of gold for decades just by spending so much of it lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

cf also Musa I who depressed the price of gold for decades just by spending so much of it lol

Was he the one who abdicated his throne then vanished on his pilgrimage to Mecca or am I confusing him with someone else?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah it was his pilgrimage. The numbers are absolutely nuts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was he the one who abdicated his throne then vanished on his pilgrimage to Mecca or am I confusing him with someone else?

No, Mansa Musa didn't abdicate or vanish on a pilgrimage. That was his predecessor Abu Bakr II who resigned to the throne and disappeared - though not to go on a pilgrimage, but to explore the limits of the ocean after a survivor of a previous expedition had reported land to the west of Africa.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

He didn't abdicate, it was his predecessor Abu Bakr II who abdicated in order to explore the ocean. One day he set out to reach the end of the Atlantic Ocean and was never seen again.
And while he spent an enormous amount of gold in Egypt when he traveled to Mecca he actually had to borrow gold from money-lenders in Egypt to be able to travel back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

drat my bad, I missed the abdication

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alhazred posted:

He didn't abdicate, it was his predecessor Abu Bakr II who abdicated in order to explore the ocean. One day he set out to reach the end of the Atlantic Ocean and was never seen again.
And while he spent an enormous amount of gold in Egypt when he traveled to Mecca he actually had to borrow gold from money-lenders in Egypt to be able to travel back.

Wasn't that an attempt to fix the damage he'd done? To draw out some of the gold he'd injected into the local economies (according to Wiki, that'd have been some 30 metric tons :stare:), and eventually pay it back with other goods?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't that an attempt to fix the damage he'd done? To draw out some of the gold he'd injected into the local economies (according to Wiki, that'd have been some 30 metric tons :stare:), and eventually pay it back with other goods?

I've read that he became lost from his caravan, had no gold left and had to lend gold in order to get enough slaves and proviant to return.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

No, Mansa Musa didn't abdicate or vanish on a pilgrimage. That was his predecessor Abu Bakr II who resigned to the throne and disappeared - though not to go on a pilgrimage, but to explore the limits of the ocean after a survivor of a previous expedition had reported land to the west of Africa.

Alhazred posted:

I see - my mistake. Sounds a bit like that Genoese or Portuguese (?) expedition that went missing off the West African coast so its leader's brother set out on a rescue expedition... and also vanished.

Alhazred posted:

There's a comedy road movie to be had out of this premise. :D

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The Sultan of Egypt demands that Mansa Musa kiss the ground before him but Mansa Musa refuses. How will he get out of this pickle?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see - my mistake. Sounds a bit like that Genoese or Portuguese (?) expedition that went missing off the West African coast so its leader's brother set out on a rescue expedition... and also vanished.

Unironically would be down for it, people need more exposure to African history, and it would be a laugh. Mansa Musa has been estimated as the richest person ever to exist, including the modern age.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

"The Sultan of Egypt demands that Mansa Musa kiss the ground before him but Mansa Musa refuses. How will he get out of this pickle?"

I love state leader pickles but even more so, consort pickles

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Agreed, but we'd have to time travel and abduct Richard Pryor to star.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unironically would be down for it, people need more exposure to African history, and it would be a laugh.

Agreed, and why do we not have a ton of high budget Hindu epics? I feel like their stories would make fantastic films in western cinema. I'm assuming Bollywood already makes these and I just don't know about them being an ignorant american.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ommin posted:

Agreed, and why do we not have a ton of high budget Hindu epics? I feel like their stories would make fantastic films in western cinema. I'm assuming Bollywood already makes these and I just don't know about them being an ignorant american.

Greek myth is a bedrock of Western civilization and they can't manage to make a move about it without loving it up with poo poo like "hey let's get the Rock to play Hercules and then not have him do the labors! nobody wants to see the Rock lifting Atlas' burden or going to the underworld and wrassling Cerberus!"

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Someone needs to just pitch the studios all the different pantheons as "shared universes" and start making some kickass mythology poo poo!

I am way to optimistic with that idea. As soon as I typed it I realized the mistake I was making, but I stand by the sentiment.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Greek myth is a bedrock of Western civilization and they can't manage to make a move about it without loving it up with poo poo like "hey let's get the Rock to play Hercules and then not have him do the labors! nobody wants to see the Rock lifting Atlas' burden or going to the underworld and wrassling Cerberus!"

Wait really? That’s stupid. I just to watch Rock do Rock poo poo :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Byzantine posted:

Misplaced ideas of realism, crippling both D&D campaigns and Hollywood epics.

We've had so many 'the REAL story' takes on fantasy that strip out all the fantastic elements while forgetting to actually make what's left interesting (not to mention leaving in things like Lancelot and Galahad in King Arthur and Maid Marian and Friar Tuck in Robin Hood, which were additions centuries after the original tales) that I think they've forgotten how to make actual mythological fantasy not based on 20th century novels. (and whatever the gently caress was going on with Clash of the Titans)

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Oct 1, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(not to mention leaving in things like Lancelot and Galahad in King Arthur and Maid Marian and Friar Tuck in Robin Hood, which were additions centuries after the original tales)
One cool thing that Prince of Thieves did was to ensure that people believe that Robin having a black friend is a part of the legend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

One cool thing that Prince of Thieves did was to ensure that people believe that Robin having a black friend is a part of the legend.

I'm pretty sure Sir Palomides predates Lancelot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Prince of Thieves itself was following Robin of Sherwood, which had a Saracen assassin called Nazir who joined the Merry Men after accompanying a crusader knight back to England. No doubt there are even earlier examples. (Prince of Thieves was a really big movie, of course.)

In the BBC series from around 10 years ago, Friar Tuck was played by David Harewood, except because the position of friar wouldn't have been historically accurate (or so I understand) he is referred to as "Brother Tuck" and usually the other Merry Men address him as "Brother". So you end up with an odd situation where the only black man in England is addressed as "brother" by everybody. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Prince of Thieves itself was following Robin of Sherwood, which had a Saracen assassin called Nazir who joined the Merry Men after accompanying a crusader knight back to England. No doubt there are even earlier examples. (Prince of Thieves was a really big movie, of course.)

In the BBC series from around 10 years ago, Friar Tuck was played by David Harewood, except because the position of friar wouldn't have been historically accurate (or so I understand) he is referred to as "Brother Tuck" and usually the other Merry Men address him as "Brother". So you end up with an odd situation where the only black man in England is addressed as "brother" by everybody. :v:

That sounds like an idea for a kickass Assassin's Creed game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I genuinely liked the Rock Hercules movie.

But far, far less than I'd have liked one played straight where he actually does Hercules poo poo. Hell, it'd require less suspension of disbelief than Fast and Furious. I know how real cars work, I know jack poo poo about killing lions, and I figure that's true for most moviegoing audiences.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Ommin posted:

There's a 6~ hour For TV theatre adapation of Peter Brooks "The Mahabharata" :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhqkRGISQr8

It can be pretty 'hope you loving love theatre' though.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

We release doves at the olympic games because the ancient romans released them to spread news of the event results.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

We release doves at the olympic games because the ancient romans released them to spread news of the event results.

And we have the olympic torch because Hitler thought it would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

This is the Ipswich Man whose skeleton was discovered in an archeological dig in a cemetery in Ipswich, about 75 miles north east of London. He was born between 1190 and 1300 in Tunis in North Africa and died between 1258 and 1300. Scientists estimate he would have lived in Britain (or somewhere with a similar climate at least) for approx 10 years before his death.

His most likely cause of death was a spinal abcess which would have left him essentially invalid. The fact that he appeared to have had this condition for several years before his death suggests he was cared for, and his graves position in the cemetery strongly suggests he wasn't a poor man or a slave (the fact that he was buried in the cemetery at all almost certainly shows he was a Christian).

Nine skeletons of sub-Saharan origin were also found during the digs but there isn't as much information about them.

duckmaster has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Oct 5, 2018