Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

hell yes

Shooting macro critters on a wide angle :thumbsup:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Atlatl posted:

hell yes

:eyepop:

I love this.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Finally working through my shameful backlog...

Curious to hear what anyone thinks of the composition on this one. The bee is shoved way over to the left because I also wanted to show where it was heading to. The 16:9 ratio is meant to further emphasize that path of travel.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 26, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Curious to hear what anyone thinks of the composition on this one. The bee is shoved way over to the left because I also wanted to show where it was heading to. The 16:9 ratio is meant to further emphasize that path of travel.

Since you are asking, I think it's a good photo but I'm not totally seeing what you are going for. The bee seems to be going straight back into the scene, so at best I'm seeing "future options" but I don't get the lateral movement you are trying to depict. My eyes are mostly doing a loop between the middle flower, the bee, and then back along the leaf with the dark tip to the middle flower. I feel like it might be more effective to take advantage of that and crop out some of the right flowers, and maybe add a smidge back to the left if you cropped anything there. I think to take advantage of the full width, maybe you could crop a little bit more top and bottom to really emphasize the bee --> right most flower content.

I think the bee is great, the highlight on the abdomen fading to dark with the bee itself kind of tucked in a little pocket in the vegetation. I get a strong feeling about a fleeting moment with the orientation and arrangement of the bee and the perspective that puts the viewer in this private moment too. Pairing the bee with the middle flower makes a real nice photo imo.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That all makes a lot of sense. Definitely gonna play around with your suggestions. I’ll likely post the results once I get around to it. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The composition you got now would have worked better if the bee were facing to the right. Since it's not, the composition feels weird. Cutting out the rightmost flower helps.

So next time you're on a shoot have a conversation with your model on what you're thinking, get on the same page with them.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

It’s clear to me now: Before I can zoom with my feet, I must first zoom...with my heart.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

It’s clear to me now: Before I can zoom with my feet, I must first zoom...with my heart.

The real treasure was the photos that we didn't take along the way.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

President Beep posted:

I must first zoom...with my heart.

New thread title?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

Buster approves of your choice to donate your organs at the (impending) time of your death. He would appreciate it if you could deposit your heart (and the rest of your viscera) into a convenient receptacle, such as a fuel barrel or simply the inside of his mouth.
Buster 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Buster! :argh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Since you are asking, I think it's a good photo but I'm not totally seeing what you are going for. The bee seems to be going straight back into the scene, so at best I'm seeing "future options" but I don't get the lateral movement you are trying to depict. My eyes are mostly doing a loop between the middle flower, the bee, and then back along the leaf with the dark tip to the middle flower. I feel like it might be more effective to take advantage of that and crop out some of the right flowers, and maybe add a smidge back to the left if you cropped anything there. I think to take advantage of the full width, maybe you could crop a little bit more top and bottom to really emphasize the bee --> right most flower content.

I think the bee is great, the highlight on the abdomen fading to dark with the bee itself kind of tucked in a little pocket in the vegetation. I get a strong feeling about a fleeting moment with the orientation and arrangement of the bee and the perspective that puts the viewer in this private moment too. Pairing the bee with the middle flower makes a real nice photo imo.

Took another crack at this shot with your suggestions in mind. I do have to say that I think it's a much better image now. Seems more...intentional--like there's really a narrative going on here (or it's all in my head!)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a much better image because there's fewer distractions pulling the eye around. I think it conveys your original intent better too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks. I really do feel like this provided a good exercise in fundamental composition.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Goddamn, I was not expecting that monstrosity when I opened the wildlife thread.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Found on my lawn yesterday morning.

Common frog

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm trying to motivate myself to get through some more of my bear shots. Still fighting with that green balance though.

President Beep posted:

Took another crack at this shot with your suggestions in mind. I do have to say that I think it's a much better image now. Seems more...intentional--like there's really a narrative going on here (or it's all in my head!)

You've taken down the original so I have nothing to compare it to, but I like whatever you have going on in this shot fwiw.

Atlatl posted:

hell yes

Shooting macro critters on a wide angle :thumbsup:
These are phenomenal.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Bears par excellence.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, I yanked the original composition from my Flickr because it was just cluttering things up. At first it was much wider with more stuff going on with not much real direction.. BetterLek's advice helped a ton. Thanks for the compliment!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

(Yes, I know zoo shots are technically cheating)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

(Yes, I know zoo shots are technically cheating)

These are EXCELLENT! They're portraits.

EDIT: Seriously, love those photos.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, those are indeed nice.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i really struggled on a tiny boat in moderate swell but the image stabilisation in my cheap zoom lens did a good enough job that at least a couple of shots came out decent enough for me to want to share:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

i really struggled on a tiny boat in moderate swell but the image stabilisation in my cheap zoom lens did a good enough job that at least a couple of shots came out decent enough for me to want to share:

The city skyline backdrop on these is incredible! ~~juxtaposition!~~

Might as well post my whales too. Only cropped, no processing because I've been lazy. Taken in between hurling into a plastic bag. Common dolphins, a striped dolphin, and some Fin whales.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Wowzers, this one is especially great. I love the lighting.

I'm incredibly envious. I've been after a shot like this for ages now, and to get it framed so perfectly with misty mountains in the background is insane.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I got very lucky, that was my first day in the park and never saw elk or mist in the same spot together the next 10 days. The one on the right ended up winning.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Was out hiking behind Lake Louise on Friday and there was a momma grizzly with her 2 cubs down in the rock piles beneath the glaciers

Grizzly Bear #142 by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Read that post, contemplated thread title. Everything clicked.

e: I see that you were zoomed all the way in. Don’t blame you.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Have never been more happy to have packed my Tamzooka while hiking, these were taken at a very safe distance, and there were enough people on the trail that the bears were going to keep their distance too.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Eagle steals rabbit from fox. Fox resists.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
gently caress yall im posting all my vacation pics here, especially my deer skate vids

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
IMG_0632-2.jpg by Nathan Nixon, on Flickr

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 20, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is awesome!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Is that fish made out of bacon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Loads of great stuff in the past couple pages, but I especially like this one:

How'd you get such nice soft colors? Is it just the time of day?