Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Next in the series? Why that'd be a bowl of spaghetti set against the backdrop of a fjord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Next in the series? Why that'd be a bowl of spaghetti set against the backdrop of a fjord.
IKEA meatballs against a backdrop of Venice as a diptych

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

IKEA meatballs against a backdrop of Venice as a diptych

Olive Garden Tour of Italy triptych. :discourse:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A map of italy in breadstick form

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Found this gem while randomly looking through camera hashtags. Can't tell if it was done ironically or not, but oh boy.

Source: https://flic.kr/p/aVPNLH

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ianskate posted:

Found this gem while randomly looking through camera hashtags. Can't tell if it was done ironically or not, but oh boy.

I love Flickr.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ianskate posted:

Love the spikes all over the sidewalk preventing it from being used for anything

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I think that’s a ream of peritonitis petitions she’s holding onto. So many layers of meaning...

e: lmao. What in the hell was up with that typo????

President Beep fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 2, 2018

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

I was about to post a shot of butts and a bad leica selfie and talk poo poo but the last post says the guy died 3 years ago so uh rip

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Those bullshit flickr “award” badges people leave in comments are really something else. I feel like someone should be cataloging them.

How often are new ones made? What’s each one’s frequency of use? Fascinating stuff...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

Those bullshit flickr “award” badges people leave in comments are really something else. I feel like someone should be cataloging them.

How often are new ones made? What’s each one’s frequency of use? Fascinating stuff...

they don't seem to have changed since 2009 or so when I last regularly used flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is why anyone with a grain of intelligence disabled comments the instant they created a flickr account.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

Which is why anyone with a grain of intelligence disabled comments the instant they created a flickr account.

How else will I get my ego fix without a low res gif of the BEST PHOTOGRAPHS award on my photos though? There’s no way to know if I am indeed the best without them!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Pretty tempted to shitpost some cool new award stickers on yalls pages

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Atlatl posted:

Pretty tempted to shitpost some cool new award stickers on yalls pages

You've been invited to receive Something Artistic's Grenade of Greatness Award for Best!!! Photographer!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pseudorandom posted:

You've been invited to receive Something Artistic's Grenade of Greatness Award for Best!!! Photographer!

10 or more views only!!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 30, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:yeah:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bokeh-licious, goon sire!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I really need this award because I put my Flickr awards on my résumé but don’t have this one yet! What are the requirements?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

President Beep posted:

Also, they're alive and well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nishchintraina/44989672181/in/datetaken/

One photo, then 20 repeats of the same loving "award."

Then if you visit the group it's full of beginners thinking they're emulating a style but failing to pull it off in some basic way.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Was Flickr actually good about 10 years ago like people say?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In terms of community it was never good. As a place to host your pictures it's always been pretty great.

Was hoping smugmug buying them would result in some freshening up of the place but they haven't done poo poo with it so I think it's unfixable.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Also, they're alive and well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nishchintraina/44989672181/in/datetaken/

One photo, then 20 repeats of the same loving "award."

Then if you visit the group it's full of beginners thinking they're emulating a style but failing to pull it off in some basic way.

I’m at least an emerald. Maybe even sapphire.

Thom12255 posted:

If you ignore the batshit crazy stuff, like its social media aspect, I like flickr for sharing/embedding photos. The preservation of metadata is nice too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Thom12255 posted:

It's was/is a good community as long as you sought/seek out people posting high quality work and avoid the swamp of circle jerking award groups. I've bumped in to people in the real world and realised we knew each other on Flickr. Or you'd meet people when out shooting and share Flickr links to keep in touch. That said, it never did that well at getting world class name-recognizable photographers. For a while 500px was the place but somehow Instagram has managed to crack that despite being technically the worst photo sharing platform since downloading 256 colour GIFs off BBS systems...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 30, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I keep comments because i dont post to any groups (occasionally to the benches group because they seriously like benches, and I find it so innocent). I basically get an occasional comment from one of you guys, or someone who follows me. I ignore invites and badges the rare occasions they occur.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

:getin:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i'll admit it took a while for me to see the goatse

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

It’s normal to have to wait for your bathroom mirror to defog after showering.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

:golfclap:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Ahh man, if that guy really did pass away then I have to apologize to whomever or whatever created us creatures for mocking a dead person for his failures.

But hey, and it might be a stretch, but at least he achieved the rare and coveted SA Goatse Photo Award, can't beat that!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

xzzy posted:

Was hoping smugmug buying them would result in some freshening up of the place but they haven't done poo poo with it so I think it's unfixable.

For what it's worth, I can understand them not having done much yet. Based on the one or two pages I read in the Taintcoin/news thread, and my experience on various social media sites, people are about as entitled as gamers when it comes to even the tiniest of changes to websites especially if it's from a new company acquiring it. I'm sure if they made any changes immediately, there would be an uproar of how changing the logo from pink #FF0186 to pink #E3009B has completely ruined Flickr entirely and people would start yelling about how they've moved their pictures back to Myspace to boycott the changes. I think smugmug is smart not making any changes yet, and let people calm down and feel confident at the acquisition isn't going to "hurt" the platform.

Unrelated: in my quest to come up with a dumb example for this reply, I decided that doing an image search for the Flickr logo would be the quickest way for me to find an image I could copy to find one of their hex colors. I find it somewhat disturbing that in my Bing image search for "flickr", there were a few results for the logo, 2 pictures of sunsets, and then the rest were of random pictures of women. Flickr might be creepier than I previously thought.

I'm inviting you to my award group for best awards.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

pseudorandom posted:

For what it's worth, I can understand them not having done much yet. Based on the one or two pages I read in the Taintcoin/news thread, and my experience on various social media sites, people are about as entitled as gamers when it comes to even the tiniest of changes to websites especially if it's from a new company acquiring it. I'm sure if they made any changes immediately, there would be an uproar of how changing the logo from pink #FF0186 to pink #E3009B has completely ruined Flickr entirely and people would start yelling about how they've moved their pictures back to Myspace to boycott the changes. I think smugmug is smart not making any changes yet, and let people calm down and feel confident at the acquisition isn't going to "hurt" the platform.

Unrelated: in my quest to come up with a dumb example for this reply, I decided that doing an image search for the Flickr logo would be the quickest way for me to find an image I could copy to find one of their hex colors. I find it somewhat disturbing that in my Bing image search for "flickr", there were a few results for the logo, 2 pictures of sunsets, and then the rest were of random pictures of women. Flickr might be creepier than I previously thought.

I'm inviting you to my award group for best awards.

Large parts of Flickr are total cesspools for a mix of bad photography and fetishes.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

rio posted:

Large parts of Flickr are total cesspools for a mix of bad photography and fetishes.
My first introduction to Flickr was when I had just gotten into photography and after coming back from Poland I was trying to find some "Polish" groups to post some photos in. Queue endless pages of photos of women's feet with nail polish. Thousands of really bad photos of nothing but a foot.

:chloe:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I find the people who take pictures only of toys to be the most upsetting.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 1, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

It's the super weird doll people for me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

It's the super weird doll people for me.

... Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I once had a guy comment on one of my photos and his stream was 'dedicated to the most beautiful woman in the world' and it just had photographs of his Hillary Duff posters.