Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My brother just laughed hard at the 'abolish the planning system'.
He's a town planner, and he said imagine how builders will gently caress you over with lovely electrical and plumbing long after you have moved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I like that Jaws (?) is the exact same shade of brown as the dog.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

I rewatched Alan Partridge a couple of weeks ago and they have a great sequence where Alan meets some Irish men and can't stop from being completely ignorant and stereotypical about them, while the Irish are trying to say how they want to get away from that hackneyed image.

Shortly after my wife watched the Harry Potter movies, where the sum total of Irish cultural heritage is, of course, a Riverdancing leprochaun. But whereas Alan Partridge is playing up the character's stupidity, the HP portrayal is entirely earnest.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
That's Linehan there, isn't it?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

The Conservative Conference as Presented by Weird Twitter wasn't exactly the turn I was expecting

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also I triple loving dare you fucks to abolish the planning system, I will Kickstart pig poo poo lagoons to be built next door to every single one of the new homes along the Epping Road, wind turbines on every hill in Buckinghamshire, and the biggest loving Lidl on Earth right in the middle of Chipping Norton

Ugh don't stop, I'm almost there

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Tories: HOW CAN WE WIN THE UNDER-45 VOTE?

Also Tories: Rent caps for pensioners.

:cripes:

How do we not have a Rees-Mogg smilie yet?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Is this in it?

Because I worked for McDonald's when we sold this and it took 24 hours before anyone higher up realised what it looked like and got pulled

That's a really bad dragon.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Lady Demelza posted:

remember the official line is that the tories lost their majority because the dementia tax pissed off pensioners

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason it's stuck in my head all these years, and I just associate it with the gloomy interior of the food court of what was then my local shopping centre. I can't find a picture, but it was all dark tiles, and no natural light - Hempstead Valley circa 1990 for all the Medway posters in the thread.[

I really wish they didn't tile over the fish pond they had there. :(

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Lady Demelza posted:

Why don't we just cut the crap and have a tax that young people pay that's funneled directly towards old people?

Oh yeah, it's called National Insurance.

Also:

Pensioners: we want free bus travel!
Tories: Here you go!
Pensioners: We don't want to pay NI!
Tories: It is done.
Pensioners: We want to leave the European Union.
Tories: We're leaving!
Pensioners: My rent is too high!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 30, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also the kid in the wheelchair is called Wheels. Wheels.

Which one is the Legman

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

Why don't we just cut the crap and have a tax that young people pay that's funneled directly towards old people?

Oh yeah, it's called National Insurance.

It's literally all income tax. Boomers are retired. They don't work, so they don't pay income tax; they receive welfare from those of us who do in the form of the state pension (though they go very red in the face if you call it that).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jose posted:

That's fine for a year or 2 but he did it his entire presidency when it was clear the republicans weren't interested

After the first two years he couldn't do anything because the Gross Old Pedos had Congress but yeah, still agreed

Not Operator posted:

That's a really bad dragon.

:golfclap:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

It's literally all income tax. Boomers are retired. They don't work, so they don't pay income tax; they receive welfare from those of us who do in the form of the state pension (though they go very red in the face if you call it that).

Not that this is actually bad! Obviously the ideal system is one that ensures the old and sick are supported by the young and healthy. Ideally not by impoverishing the latter though!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I really wish they didn't tile over the fish pond they had there. :(

Yeah, now it's a coffee stand. Give me that little pond anyday :negative:

feedmegin posted:

Which one is the Legman

Clearly it's the dog - it's got the most legs of all of them.

Also, I can't keep up with how dire and desperate the Tory conference feels :lol:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Notice how the freedom is in consuming from exploitative apps.

Nobody is driving the Ubers, nobody is renting out their spare room as a cut rate BNB and nobody is riding those bikes through rush hour traffic risking their lives to get you the Gut buster Pizza supreme. The only people who matter are the ones exploiting these nobodies. To Tories and Neoliberals exploiting people for minor convenience is worthy of being called a freedom fighter with absolutely zero interest in the people delivering the services.

I take issue with one point here. The rentiers living off Airbnb are not exploited nobodies

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

feedmegin posted:

They pay income tax on pension earnings, but not NI. It absolutely blew my mind when I learned very recently that they don't pay NI. Apparently NI used to be administered differently when it was introduced, and terms like 'pension stamps' were used, so no one expects to pay it when they're recieving their pension. Except...that would make an enormous amount of sense, as you'd naturally grow the return from NI payments with the age of population. Instead you now have a situation where everyone in a fixed age window is paying more for the ageing population.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Laffin at May trying to insist she believes in Brexit and will make it successful no matter what

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcsfrOGOP6o

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

That's Linehan there, isn't it?

You betcha

possibly also the episode where Alan's obsessed with "ladyboys" :tinfoil:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Not that this is actually bad! Obviously the ideal system is one that ensures the old and sick are supported by the young and healthy. Ideally not by impoverishing the latter though!

Oh I don't disagree with the principle at all, I just wish the old people I'm supporting through my paycheque every month would stop voting to screw over the other, working age people I'm supporting through my paycheque every month. That's how it's supposed to work, from each according to their ability to each according to their need and all.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

They pay income tax on pension earnings, but not NI.

Sure, though that's still a state benefit. And if you have a house you bought for pennies in the 70s and is now completely paid off, you don't need much of a pension income and thus pay low/no income tax, same as the poor struggling low-paid sod who's renting for 600 quid a month on a salary of 20k.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Actually you'll probably find that there's a lot of retired people with pensions so generous they pay a fair bit of income tax. Probably retired earlier than 60 as well. No doubt they would complain bitterly about the tax they pay, same as friends of mine earning £100,000+ who complain that over 50% of their income goes to tax. Poor babbies...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

Oh I don't disagree with the principle at all, I just wish the old people I'm supporting through my paycheque every month would stop voting to screw over the other, working age people I'm supporting through my paycheque every month. That's how it's supposed to work, from each according to their ability to each according to their need and all.

:agreed:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

Probably retired earlier than 60 as well. No doubt they would complain bitterly about the tax they pay, same as friends of mine earning £100,000+ who complain that over 50% of their income goes to tax. Poor babbies...

Top rate of tax kicks in at 150k and even then it's only 45%. Lot of benefits that weren't means tested when the boomers got them go away from the top of the basic rate which is far more irritating than it is fiscally damaging (by the time you earn enough to not get any child benefit, for instance, you're at the point where you don't notice it)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EvilGenius posted:

They pay income tax on pension earnings, but not NI. It absolutely blew my mind when I learned very recently that they don't pay NI. Apparently NI used to be administered differently when it was introduced, and terms like 'pension stamps' were used, so no one expects to pay it when they're recieving their pension. Except...that would make an enormous amount of sense, as you'd naturally grow the return from NI payments with the age of population. Instead you now have a situation where everyone in a fixed age window is paying more for the ageing population.

Most people currently receiving state pension paid in for well over 40 years. Men who started work at age 15 (which was common before raising of the school leaving age to 16 in the 1970s) and who retired aged 65 paid in for 50 years. My late father paid in for 48 years (he retired early at 63).

You had to get a minimum 44 years as a man and 39 years as a woman up to 2010.

Then it was reduced to 30 years. And then since 2016 back up to 35 years.

(And you don't stop paying NI once you have paid in the minimum required - as long as you are working you are paying it).

We have to not get bitter and twisted over this because people who haven't worked but get welfare get pension credits and can get full state pension after 35 years whereas people who may be working several part-time jobs on minimum wage won't be earning the minimum £112 (or whatever it is now) from a single employer a week to get a pension credit so even if they're working 40 hours a week, if they don't earn £112 from one single employer, they won't be having any contributions to state pension being made and I bet many of them will not even realize that. That, to me, is far more iniquitous.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 30, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

MikeCrotch posted:

You've got to remember that Obama was elected on the tide of one of the biggest waves of actual popular support in American History - for the first years of his presidency he had a majority in both chambers of Congress and could conceivable have pushed through what he wanted. Instead he does stuff like present an actual right-wing proposal for healthcare instead of universal healthcare on the basis of "compromise", despite the fact that Obamacare as it was still didn't get any Republican votes and passed anyway.

He also responded to the 2008 financial crash by surrounding himself with some real nasty financial hawks who advised him to cut spending and limit the stimulus.

The most charitable assessment is that he was an Ed Miliband type who meant well but surrounded himself with poor advisers and believed him; less charitably he was someone willing to say what was necessary to get into office but never intended to actually enact those principles when he had power.
Given the GOPs constant use of the fillibuster for his crime of being a Democratic/Brown-while-President, he needed a supermajority of 60 not merely a majority. A sequence of events meant he had that for a total of 72 days.

https://progressivemetrowestsouth.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/fact-obama-had-72-working-days-of-a-filibuster-proof-majority/

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I am reliably informed that Walker Crips, the investment management co, are each week receiving in the post at least 2 or 3 empty crisp packets from people who want to protest non-recyclable packaging but can’t mash the right keys to correctly google the Walkers Crisps’ address.

lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Serves them right for having a vanity freepost address

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

feedmegin posted:

No see they worked for their pension, it's the exact same literal physical pounds that were taken from their paycheques while they were working that were stored in a big iron safe under Whitehall and are now being payed back to them!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Are you willing enough to stare at that face long enough to make one? I once spent an hour making a gif of someone's head coming out of the goatman's arse and even I don't have the stomach for that job.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1046449389131223041

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The neighbour's cat keeps wandering in and fussing the binliner in my small bin (paper and stuff, no food), pulling it out and investigating every inch.

She's mostly blind so i get that she's more tactile, but it's adorably odd.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Granted we will need new prison ships post brexit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Junior G-man posted:

The neighbour's cat keeps wandering in and fussing the binliner in my small bin (paper and stuff, no food), pulling it out and investigating every inch.

She's mostly blind so i get that she's more tactile, but it's adorably odd.

You can't post this and not post pics

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Anyone catch May's interview on Marr?

She spent the majority of the time either falling apart on Brexit or Windrush, even though Marr was about half as tough on her as he was on Corbyn. I don't think she said anything about policy or vision at all.

Conference off to a good start then.

Rarity posted:

The biggest winner there is the free bus travel one. That removes a huge barrier that either prevents young people from getting to good jobs or sucks up a significant proportion of their weekly income.

I still think free bus travel for everyone on certain nationalised routes would be a nice flagship policy for the next manifesto.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Still after that loving boat :lol:

jabby posted:

I don't think she said anything about policy or vision at all.

Well, there's good reasons for that :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 30, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's enfuriating that the idea that the Tories are more responsible with public funds still exists when they loving love stupid meaningless vanity projects.

Arguing "we should cut taxes and reduce spending and also make this really fancy boat for the queen" should get you laughed and sworn at.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Those Tories really know how to get those under-45s engaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

What if we put all the pensioners on the new Yacht and rent-capsized it?

• Locked thread