Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think kinda but I'd read it in the totally opposite way; they're actually VERY tightly linked. Moves happen when triggered in the fiction, and tell you what happens next. So someone who's constantly threatening people is going to trigger Go Aggro all the time, for example. Once triggered, moves give you a defined narrative outcome, with some mechanical tracking. So, your belligerent character will trigger Go Aggro a lot, and by Going Aggro, they're going to have a lot of people who are hurt (fictionally) and have taken Harm (mechanically). You're a belligerent dude, though, so you probably don't care, converting them into dead people, which other people in the game will have opinions about. Some of them are probably going to retalliate or try and stop you.

Conversely, if you don't play someone who gets into arguments a lot you'll trigger Go Aggro less frequently, and maybe when it does trigger you'll panic from having nearly killed someone you didn't mean to, and drag them to the doc, and end up in his debt for emergency medical care.

You're only using basic moves, there; anyone could trigger those. But, two different gunluggers are going to play two different games, even with an identical statline, though they certainly might be very similar given the incentives of that statline. I'd wager most gunluggers are going to have boring games if nothing's ever kicking off (but who's got everything locked down that tight?)

(As a minor note, AW moves follow the principle of "To do it, do it". You can't get in someone's face and demand they give you the money and not roll, and you can't roll without trying to get in someone's face; though, of course, plenty of people are going to go "I go aggro on him, by-" or whatever. But, there's never a mechanical outlay without a fictional setup for it, and once the move triggers they always tell you about a new state in the fiction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's also good to keep in mind that, while you're somewhat constrained in your choices at character creation, you can then diverge a lot as you get advances. You can grab moves from any other playbook you like, and if you want you can get followers (which you then get to customize) and sometimes a lab or hold or something. So while the monkey and the veteran could start out identical, they might not stay that way. The monkey can grab zany moves like the Battlebabe's "+2 armor when you're naked" while he veteran takes the Quarantine's "you can deal less damage then the maximum if you like."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Honestly OscarDiggs, I think you’re totally misreading AW due to coming in with some pre-conceived notions of how it works and trying to fit what you’re reading into that, instead of just taking in what AW is doing. I think you’re going to get a much better idea of what it actually is by reading some of the AW game threads here or by watching a recording of a game, like the one Roll20 did. I’ll toss some links in when I’m not phone posting.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'll also note that there won't be two Gunluggers in a game. The Gunlugger in your game is the Gunlugger in your game. That's another factor.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

At this point I'll take kinda over nothing! And honestly thinking about it in that sense, yeah I can see the appeal of a game that plays like that. Plus, it's easier now to make the connection between narrative actions triggering mechanical moves. Hell, I'd be eager to give it a go. I'm not sure if I should be allowed to given it's taken me this long to get my head around it, but understanding it in this way, even if it's only "kinda" right, does make it seem like something I would want to give a go.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Honestly OscarDiggs, I think you’re totally misreading AW due to coming in with some pre-conceived notions of how it works and trying to fit what you’re reading into that, instead of just taking in what AW is doing. I think you’re going to get a much better idea of what it actually is by reading some of the AW game threads here or by watching a recording of a game, like the one Roll20 did. I’ll toss some links in when I’m not phone posting.

Sure, I'd agree with that pretty much completely. I definetly came in with an idea of what I thought PbtA played like, which is why I was so confused in the first place. And thank you, but there's no need for you to put yourself out trying to find examples for me. As you said, there are tons going down in The Game Room right now I could look in on to get a fairer understanding. And I can always google a live session or two like Roll20's. Thank you very much for the offer though.

Ultimately I think I've tortured this thread enough with my questions. Knowing what I know now is going to make going forward on my own much easier. Thank you everyone who took the time and effort to make a post in order to help me understand better. I shall let you all get back to more interesting things.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm used to storygames coming from the FATE angle so I was approaching PbtA in the same way. However, it looks like the narrative side and the mechanical side are utterly seperated in AW and the like, unlike in storygames I'm more familiar with.

Taking two Gunluggers; Jangles the Moon Mokey with his triple uzis vs the morose "The War" veteran. From how I'm reading it, it doesn't matter that one is a monkey and one is a veteran. If one uses uzis and another likes to avoid conflict. If they both pick Battlefield Instincts, Blood Crazed and Prepare For The Inevitable, then they're fundamentally the same characters.

But because narrative and mechanics are so distinct, it doesn't matter that they are the same...

So the reason they're different is because they're different. I think a lot of this is comes from the part where I cut you off, because "the fiction" (what you're calling narrative) and the mechanics are intertwined.

If they are in the same exact situation, react the same exact way, which causes the same exact move to trigger, and they make any possible choices the same way, then they are very similar yes. But that's a lot of variables!

Why does Jangles have those moves? The MC will probably ask that, and that will change how it works. Because the fiction comes first. It doesn't have to change the specific mechanics written in the move for it to change the fiction. If the veteran has an ancient hi-tec HUD in his retinas to explain those Battlefield Instincts, the MC might say things happen as a result of it. Wolves Of The Maelstrom don't show up on them, Buzzo's drug cocktail makes his heart beat so fast the HUD can see it through walls sometimes.

A lot of Apocalypse World is just letting things happen, you're playing to see what happens.

Also if Jangles is a monkey I would probably have a lot more Act Under Fire rolls for people smiling at them (if that's a monkey thing I forget).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Also there is a separate uplifted animal playbook.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Playbooks match you to a character trope, but consider that just because James Bond and Jason Bourne probably use the same Playbooks doesn't mean they are the same character.

Everything that is not a move, and basically all the framing around a move is up to you.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Golden Bee posted:

Also there is a separate uplifted animal playbook.

Is there? Space Marine Mammal is just Landfall Marine now and isn't inherently about being a dolphin.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
hey, I was meaning to homebrew a setting for the system after getting some experience playing rpgs but one thing occurred to be, is it wrong to not let your players roll for a human? the setting i wanna use in question is basically grimdark bug's life and tiny humans aren't a thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Having different playable species with humans as the default boring option is a terrible tradition. So yes, break it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fruity20 posted:

hey, I was meaning to homebrew a setting for the system after getting some experience playing rpgs but one thing occurred to be, is it wrong to not let your players roll for a human? the setting i wanna use in question is basically grimdark bug's life and tiny humans aren't a thing.

hollow knight?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

DoctorWhat posted:

hollow knight?

i have heard of the game i just never played it. i might after my next payroll.

last time i pitched it somewhere else, someone claimed it felt more lighthearted. I guess i didn't set the tone right :shrug:.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you GM an empty box?

A player says they open a box. You, as the GM, know there is nothing in the box. You tell them there is nothing in the box. It's boring and sad and nothing happens. Is this an acceptable outcome?

Should it not be empty even when it only makes sense for it to be empty?

Should the box never have been empty in the first place?

What if there was something there and now it's gone? Should there be something there now?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
generally it's ok to say the box is empty, it really doesn't sound like it's a big deal in this case. You want to make sure the narrative doesn't run out of momentum, and if you feel like the game would stop when the empty box is opened, put something in the box. It's more about avoiding 'Nothing's Happening' rather than 'Nothing Happened', because if you jam plot hooks into everything, it gets really confusing to play and run. Keep focus on the interesting parts of the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Isn’t the entire point to use the GM moves when the players look to you to see what happens as well as to follow the fiction? That means you have to somehow twist “this box is just empty, man” directly into Announce Future Badness or Trade Harm or something. Does that mean I get free reign to say “there’s nothing here cause it’s loving uninteresting, hey check out this goblin about to shank you”? And if so, isn’t that railroading?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I mean, you don't have to use a move literally any time anyone asks you anything. If they have stuff going on and they check the box on the way out the door it's fine to just shrug and let them move on. But if they open the box and you say "it's empty, too bad" and they just stare at you 'cause it seemed like it was going to be cool, then yes, make a move; have something explode or have a note in the bottom of the box saying 'lol i stole it - the masked rear end in a top hat' or have them discover that the bottom of the box is fake and there's a secret door in there or something. It's not railroading to have things happen in your game, dude, come on.

But on the other hand, like, if you tell them there's a big cool-looking box and they're stoked to open it and you're shaking your head like: "well, hey, I told myself this box was gonna be a huge letdown for no reason, gotta stick to the imaginary thing I made up and told nobody about, nothing I can control here as the GM" then, I mean

maybe don't do that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In this particular instance the thing that was in the box got stolen out of the box by a beaver/pig and they checked the box for anything else, they seemed disappointed when I said not really, and I wondered if I handled it badly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's fine, they're not gonna be stoked about every single thing that happens. Your job isn't to shower them with gifts, it's to make their lives not boring; the thing you want to avoid is leaving them in a position where they don't think they have anything useful or interesting to do. So if you tell them the box is empty but they don't know why or what to do next, then that's not great.

So when they look disappointed, that's them saying "this sucks, I wanted a cool item but don't know what to do about it now" which is your cue to pivot and go "You can tell right away from the mud spatters in the box that whatever poo poo used to be in here was swiped by the beaver/pig. What a loser. Maybe it's still got it?" The move would be off-screen badness but really you're just pointing out something for them to do if they want. If they're still disappointed, well, now they know what to do to remedy the situation. On the other hand, if they ignore it and go do something else and forget all about the box instantly, who cares, that's basically what you wanted anyway.

e: By the way, the thing I described above is basically my go-to move when the players express a desire for something but I don't feel like immediately giving it to them or coming up with what it was in the first place or whatever. I say "yeah, Rolfball has it" or "it's probably in the Slime Crypt, that sucks" or something similar. Then if they really want it, they'll go hunt after it, which helpfully gives me time to make up what it is or does. If they were just being greedy and didn't really care, it gets forgotten.

megane fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 20, 2018

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Could always have implied there SHOULD have been more in the box but for some reason wasn't...gives it a bit of meat.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Fill it with scorpions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ask the player what they found in the box that surprised and worried/encouraged/confused them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That would be crossing the line imo.

https://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2010/10/apocalypse-world-crossing-line.html

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Isn’t the entire point to use the GM moves when the players look to you to see what happens as well as to follow the fiction? That means you have to somehow twist “this box is just empty, man” directly into Announce Future Badness or Trade Harm or something. Does that mean I get free reign to say “there’s nothing here cause it’s loving uninteresting, hey check out this goblin about to shank you”? And if so, isn’t that railroading?

"Something else got here first" would fall under the purview of Reveal An Unwelcome Truth. Then people can be all "poo poo, let's track it" or whatever.

"You looted the decoy sarcophagus" also counts, because now they've got to go back to the tomb and find the real one without the element of surprise.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 20, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, almost certainly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

e: sorry, I thought we were talking about a different Line

megane fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 20, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s not what the linked article would say.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So after a few months hiatus I came back to writing my cop procedural PBTA hack. (Previous discussion here.)

New stuff includes:
- Rules for Stress and explanation of how harm works here
- Every Playbook now gets a special move for making the big arrests
- Equipment moves got parcelled out to Playbooks
- I figured out how I want to do Hx (although it will probably require a bunch of work)
- The Beadie is the first complete (although obviously not finalised) Playbook
- A bunch of other stuff, mostly Playbook moves

Feel free to look through it and tell me what is bad

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just at an instant glance I really feel like good cop and bad cop should be the stats and then the fists and interrogate comes off of that? I don't know what the other stats are off that but I feel that's got a stronger flavour to it

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

All the cool kids probably already know this but drat is Vincent Baker's Patreon an amazing deal. So much neat stuff for as little as a buck a month.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm a huge D. Vincent Baker fan, but he's pretty notorious for abandoning games, even years into production. I buy everything he puts out, and I'd pay more if he raised his prices, but I don't think I'd want to do any sort of monthly payment.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured $12/year was a pittance to pay to encourage Baker to keep writing down his craziness and sharing it with the world.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, even if it's all just fragments, it's so interesting to look at that I'll gladly pay him a buck a month for it.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I really enjoy his patreon because it's a real look into game design. He'll experiment with a form or mechanism every two months for a year, working out the exact feel he wants, and it's interesting to watch that level of care in rule iteration. Also, he puts out some really cool 'technically playable' stuff (his words).

Speaking of PbtA hacks, I've been working on a space one and would love feedback. It's still rough around the edge, but mostly playable in its current state.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I am also working on a pbta about murder mystery free for alls. Its inspired by Danganronpa but I hope it can also capture the dynamic of mafia/werewolf games that people like.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNpuLkBQwhs9fhWonbAy3XLj4qn8ITWig3IPd-IW8UI/edit?usp=sharing

The last page is ideas I've had in the past few days. I'm bad at formatting and don't know where to stick them in yet. It's someone else's formatting who was nice enough to go over it.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

I really enjoy his patreon because it's a real look into game design. He'll experiment with a form or mechanism every two months for a year, working out the exact feel he wants, and it's interesting to watch that level of care in rule iteration. Also, he puts out some really cool 'technically playable' stuff (his words).

Speaking of PbtA hacks, I've been working on a space one and would love feedback. It's still rough around the edge, but mostly playable in its current state.

I had a quick read and left some comments. Feel free to message to discuss. In general, I feel like the playbooks have had some good conversion work, and are evocative and genre-appropriate (although some of the names confused me). I feel like the basic and peripheral moves can use some more work, though. Some of them are very reminiscent of AW still, where they should be dripping with space flavour, being the rules players interact with more often.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of my players had to skip last session due to work being insane, so I was wondering what the best way to bring them up to speed and involve them was. That's what love letters are for, right? Is the intent to just summarize the session they missed and update their character/give them some stuff to roll for? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do for them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

One of my players had to skip last session due to work being insane, so I was wondering what the best way to bring them up to speed and involve them was. That's what love letters are for, right? Is the intent to just summarize the session they missed and update their character/give them some stuff to roll for? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do for them.

A loveletter is designed to sum up what a character was doing in the meantime.

What were they doing in the meantime?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Mechanically they tend to involve a roll with their primary stat and then some number of choices. The list of choices is either good things they pick to have happen, bad things they pick to have not happen, or maybe both.

A quick rough example for that sort of move (of which there are many variants on top of doing something else entirely)

MC Love Letter Move posted:

When you've been gone a while, roll +STAT
On a miss still pick 1, but expect something extra nasty from the MC. On a 7-9 pick 2, on a 10+ pick 3.

-You picked up some new gear
-You made a new friend
-You learned a thing or two (mark XP)
-You didn't piss anyone off
-You didn't blow a lot of jingle.

Love and kisses,
The MC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glazius posted:

A loveletter is designed to sum up what a character was doing in the meantime.

What were they doing in the meantime?

Am I asking them that question, or answering it for them?

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Mechanically they tend to involve a roll with their primary stat and then some number of choices. The list of choices is either good things they pick to have happen, bad things they pick to have not happen, or maybe both.

This makes it seem like the latter. Given that in this particular case the character was "around" but not active in the party (outside of a "help me bust down this gate" thing), I think I have an idea for what they could have been doing.