Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Unrelated to the thread discussion but I got a call from my dad earlier today. I sold my 01 530i e39 to his best friend a few years back and he just got it to 350k miles on the original engine doing nothing but oil changes and regular maintenance.

That 3 Liter inline 6 they used to make really is bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

64bit_Dophins posted:

Unrelated to the thread discussion but I got a call from my dad earlier today. I sold my 01 530i e39 to his best friend a few years back and he just got it to 350k miles on the original engine doing nothing but oil changes and regular maintenance.

My crazy German neighbour had an 02 530i that he put nearly 500,000 kilometres on, and he would have kept on going were it not for the car getting rear-ended by an idiot in an SUV.

Meanwhile, my 330 continues to be a basket case with less than half that mileage on it...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
11 of the 15 M2C orders were canceled at my dealer. Curious!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Why is my 135i so bad in slushy snow? I don’t have winter tyres on (no one uses them where I live). All sorts of 2wd people movers and econoboxes were fine but I had to get pushed, not the first time this has happened either.

I had turned DSC and DTC off as the owners manual suggested and even tried setting off in 2nd.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Red_Fred posted:

Why is my 135i so bad in slushy snow? I don’t have winter tyres on (no one uses them where I live). All sorts of 2wd people movers and econoboxes were fine but I had to get pushed, not the first time this has happened either.

I had turned DSC and DTC off as the owners manual suggested and even tried setting off in 2nd.

You don't have winter tires, but what tires DO you have? Tires are 70% of the snow equation, with the rest being weight distribution and smoothness of power application.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

You have a car that doesn't have snow tires and makes full torque at around 1200 rpm, unlike an econobox. Get snow tires.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Red_Fred posted:

Why is my 135i so bad in slushy snow? I don’t have winter tyres on

lol

get loving tires

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seminal Flu posted:

You don't have winter tires, but what tires DO you have? Tires are 70% of the snow equation, with the rest being weight distribution and smoothness of power application.

The rears are Potenza S001 I think, a little old but the tread is not bad.

I’m driving in slush like 0.01% of my driving. Where I live it never gets below freezing and has snowed once in like 60 years. However when I go up the mountain to go snowboarding at times it’s slushy/snowy. Just wanted to see if there was something I could do to get by in this edge case scenario.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Red_Fred posted:

I’m driving in slush like 0.01% of my driving. Where I live it never gets below freezing and has snowed once in like 60 years. However when I go up the mountain to go snowboarding at times it’s slushy/snowy. Just wanted to see if there was something I could do to get by in this edge case scenario.

Crustashio posted:

lol

get loving tires

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Have someone else drive 🤷

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

However when I go up the mountain to go snowboarding
Bruh...

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
My 135i did awesome in the snow and slush with good all seasons that had good tread.

I was really impressed with the eLSD and dtc. I always had DTC turned on for hills. With everything off, it would just oversteer everywhere

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pretty sure the manual doesn't say to turn everything off. It just says to hit the button once to let the tires slip a bit but still have traction controls.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

Uh those are performance summer tires. No wonder you can’t drive in the slush.

Summer tires become useless below like 43F / 7C. Get a set of good all seasons (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) if you don’t want a dedicated set of winter and summer tires.

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure the manual doesn't say to turn everything off. It just says to hit the button once to let the tires slip a bit but still have traction controls.
Yeah the manual only says to turn off everything if you’re stuck in the snow and want some wheel spin while you try and rock yourself out.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 30, 2018

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Uh those are performance summer tires. No wonder you can’t drive in the slush.

Summer tires become useless below like 43F / 7C. Get a set of good all seasons (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) if you don’t want a dedicated set of winter and summer tires.

Seconding this, the Potenzas become hockey puck hard very quickly.

I just had the A/S 3+ installed at Costco last week, they seem fairly decent so far, better grip than I was honestly expecting in fall.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Red_Fred posted:

Summer tires become hockey pucks around 40F/7C and are utterly worthless in frozen conditions. At the very least get some good all-seasons.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When I replace the rears (probably next year) I’ll get some all seasons if possible. The S001s came with the car when I got it, overkill for my driving I suspect anyway.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When I replace the rears (probably next year) I’ll get some all seasons if possible. The S001s came with the car when I got it, overkill for my driving I suspect anyway.

Replace them all my mans. Going forward but not being able to stop or turn is not ideal.
Can’t speak for the A/S3 Michelin but I will sing praises for the Continental DWS as a wonderful all season. They’ve been really good on the beater Mazda6 and even with significant age they are still working well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You want to have the same tread pattern on all your tires.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Mine currently has 220k miles and seems to only get more pissed and determined by the day lol

I’m running it with the MAF unplugged because I can’t afford a non-eBay replacement part until next week and it doesn’t give a poo poo, it’s running on default math.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Waffle House posted:

Mine currently has 220k miles and seems to only get more pissed and determined by the day lol

I’m running it with the MAF unplugged because I can’t afford a non-eBay replacement part until next week and it doesn’t give a poo poo, it’s running on default math.

I ran my 03 325i with one of the pre-cat O2 sensors unplugged while I was waiting on a replacement, the default mapping works just fine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

You want the same tread patten at all four corners. Replace all four tires at the same time.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Waffle House posted:

I'm ashamed admitting this but I once ran my car with less than a quart of oil for a whole week until it started ticking. The car didn't give a poo poo and never missed a beat (clearly given the current mileage).

I also never put 91 in it only 89 all the time. It really didn't like 87 but it would do it (albeit reluctantly).

MrChips posted:

My crazy German neighbour had an 02 530i that he put nearly 500,000 kilometres on, and he would have kept on going were it not for the car getting rear-ended by an idiot in an SUV.

Meanwhile, my 330 continues to be a basket case with less than half that mileage on it...

That's unfortunate :( - Maybe the 5 series motors were just made to a higher standard idK?

My coworker has an e46 that has been in 3 accidents and looks like smashed rear end in a top hat but he just takes the insurance money and leaves the car as is. Also he bought some dope rims yo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dogg how is a mass produced identical motor made on the same assembly line going to be “made to a higher standard”

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The m5x is a solid i6 but :lol: if you think you can get to 300,000km without the chain guides making GBS threads themselves, the random plastic parts failing (inc extra emissions gear they get as they got newer), and yeah, you're going to have some ring wear and piston slap no matter how well cared for.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm ashamed admitting this but I once ran my car with less than a quart of oil for a whole week until it started ticking. The car didn't give a poo poo and never missed a beat (clearly given the current mileage).

I also never put 91 in it only 89 all the time. It really didn't like 87 but it would do it (albeit reluctantly).

I am a total rube and only put premium in mine; pinging scares the poo poo out of me.

Are there places of common oil leakage on these motors other than the pan, oil filter housing, and valve cover gaskets that I'm finding recommened on the wider internet, here?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Waffle House posted:

I am a total rube and only put premium in mine; pinging scares the poo poo out of me.

Are there places of common oil leakage on these motors other than the pan, oil filter housing, and valve cover gaskets that I'm finding recommened on the wider internet, here?

Rear main seal.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Just saw the new 3 won’t be available with a stick in the US. :smith:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Just saw the new 3 won’t be available with a stick in the US. :smith:

it might get federalized later but don't hold your breath

i don't think they have a mid-torque gearbox designed for the thing

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RIP BMW, going to become another Merc

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

Our dollars don't matter to car companies :(

The real money is in business men with small peens and their wives :(

RIP

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

We all knew it was going to happen eventually, but it is still a sad sight to see.

Maybe I just can't ever get rid of my E46...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

Our dollars don't matter to car companies :(

i mean how many people in this thread have bought new vehicles from BMW?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean how many people in this thread have bought new vehicles from BMW?

That was my point...

Tbh I have no intention to ever buy a car new.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
is my 2013 F10 535 6-speed now worth $100,000 on BAT?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

That was my point...

Tbh I have no intention to ever buy a car new.

Sorry, usually I hear this as "goddamn car companies won't cater to me" which is like yeah man, they don't, because you don't buy cars from them.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sorry, usually I hear this as "goddamn car companies won't cater to me" which is like yeah man, they don't, because you don't buy cars from them.

Yeah :/

I just hope they keep the manual transmission as an option for customers who special order their 3 series.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Seminal Flu posted:

Rear main seal.

poo poo, I’ve already had the driveshaft off once already, may as well drop the gearbox next. At least it’s longitudally mounted on this beast.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why arent they thinking about me now, ill be rich soon*

*when im 65

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

why arent they thinking about me now, ill be rich soon*

*when im 65

Just think how cheap a 2019 330i will be by then!