Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I signed up for some government DOD webinar a while back and today when I tried to join it prompted me to download some adobe installer from dhs.gov -- thanks but no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's funny is that fed it is such a poo poo show that it really could've been a benign installer for Connect or something, redistributed with an expired agreement

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Martytoof posted:

I signed up for some government DOD webinar a while back and today when I tried to join it prompted me to download some adobe installer from dhs.gov -- thanks but no thanks

The funny thing is, working at DoD as a contractor, why they do that.

It's because they severely restrict the firewalls for sites in the middle of nowhere and need to connect remotely (think satellite or in the middle of the ocean.) They block everything but only the stuff you need to sign or encrypt using the CACs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I'm sure it's benign, but the optics of it are just funny. Yes, certainly no shenanigans with spyware to worry about :haw:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone deployed or played around with Vera for DRM? If so, thoughts?

It’s one of the options we’re looking to deploy along with AIP. Vera seems more attractive without having a mature classification and labeling system in place as a functional prerequisite.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Diva Cupcake posted:

Anyone deployed or played around with Vera for DRM? If so, thoughts?

It’s one of the options we’re looking to deploy along with AIP. Vera seems more attractive without having a mature classification and labeling system in place as a functional prerequisite.

I do not know of any attacks on Veradocs/Vera DRM. They look very new so that is to be expected. Looks from their description of software features to require the rootest of root kits to be installed to do anything with the DRM so that's nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://news.sky.com/story/senior-tory-mps-phone-numbers-exposed-in-app-flaw-11512323

:can:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Don't worry! They fixed it! https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1046065575196340224

Probably still way out of compliance with GDPR though

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
These are the same people who think the Irish border and rail overcrowding can be solved with Technology™, mind you.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
How encrypted are your mainstream email services?

Say I want to email a KeePass DB file to myself from my gmail to my outlook account or vice versa.

I'm assuming that mail is encrypted when it traverses Google's mail infrastructure but is TLS used when it makes its way to Microsoft's mail exchange and then encrypted throughout their infrastructure into my mailbox?

I'm just using a KeePass file as an example. I'm interested to learn how normal plain text emails are handled, too.

Is it a shitshow, whereby there's a likelihood of email passing across the web in plain at some point?

This is a purely hypothetical question, as I don't have anything that important but learning poo poo like this helps me decide on good working practises for when I do have stuff I'd rather not get schniffed at.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apropos man posted:

How encrypted are your mainstream email services?

Say I want to email a KeePass DB file to myself from my gmail to my outlook account or vice versa.

I'm assuming that mail is encrypted when it traverses Google's mail infrastructure but is TLS used when it makes its way to Microsoft's mail exchange and then encrypted throughout their infrastructure into my mailbox?

I'm just using a KeePass file as an example. I'm interested to learn how normal plain text emails are handled, too.

Is it a shitshow, whereby there's a likelihood of email passing across the web in plain at some point?

This is a purely hypothetical question, as I don't have anything that important but learning poo poo like this helps me decide on good working practises for when I do have stuff I'd rather not get schniffed at.
https://twitter.com/ra6bit/status/1045990926970171392

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Isn't this just the usual delegated access via oauth business? Non story imo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah... if you care about the security of an email at all, encrypt it yourself before sending. There's way way too many opportunities for someone else to read it in transit if the source material was plain text. Like just in your example, Google and Microsoft now both have your Keepass DB. The transmission between them was hopefully TLS encrypted, which is well and good, but so what? Once it comes out of that tunnel it's unencrypted again.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Christ! It just gets worse all the time, doesn't it.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

Yes, but its easier to fit the meme than understand the issue.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

apropos man posted:

The Media? Yes, it does.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

apropos man posted:

Everything? Yes, it does.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

"Apps that you've granted access to your Gmail account can access your Gmail account" as a headline doesn't generate many clicks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On that subject, I would like to see more sane defaults for delegating access via APIs to third-party applications in both G Suite and Office 365. Default it to requiring an administrator to whitelist the applications, with an explanation of what is going on / email notifications sent to administrators the first time people try connecting third-party addons. As MFA gets deployed in more places it's not uncommon to see phishing emails claiming to be a file sharing notification requesting the user grants an app full access to their account, rather than throwing a fake login screen at them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Many moons ago we were building a social API for Firefox and wanted a way to post on behalf of a user without being empowered to read things like DMs or even tweets/G+ings for private accounts. Google quite promptly added a way to get such a low-privilege access token, while Twitter’s product management refused to believe that anyone would want to skip on slurping up all the private content they could.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Many moons ago we were building a social API for Firefox and wanted a way to post on behalf of a user without being empowered to read things like DMs or even tweets/G+ings for private accounts. Google quite promptly added a way to get such a low-privilege access token, while Twitter’s product management refused to believe that anyone would want to skip on slurping up all the private content they could.

Twitter seems super dev hostile/ignorant, how accurate is that assessment?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

Twitter seems super dev hostile/ignorant, how accurate is that assessment?

This was a long time ago, but their platform people all seemed to be learning basic principles as they went. It might be better now, though I suspect they still don’t have their A team on it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I mean, they're actively hostile to developers using their api, such as the recent "API apocalypse" which has made third-party clients noticeably worse. Around the same time I believe there were related changes that make things like (non-hostile, useful/artful/entertaining) bots much harder to create/operate.

They basically have no idea why people enjoy(ed) their platform and are happily relying on the social graph/snowball effect to keep users around while they tighten things up to make it more advertiser-friendly.

I don't have useful anecdata on the infosec side of things, though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seems at least mildly relevant to this thread

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-woman-says-the-guardians-in-house-security-expert

Also reminds me of that joke posted a while ago about the guy asking a woman at an infosec con for her number

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Via SecFuck thread

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Proteus Jones posted:

Via SecFuck thread

So who else is going to inspect their server hardware for tiny bumps that could hack their entire system?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:yikes:

Is there a more technical write up of this anywhere? It’s obnoxious trying to reverse engineer the dumbed down descriptions of CPU caches and whatnot to get at what is really going on.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Proteus Jones posted:

Via SecFuck thread

this comment to the story on HN is pretty nuts

quote:

I have worked in card payment industry. We would be getting products from China with added boards to beam credit card information. This wasn't state-sponsored attack. Devices were modified while on production line (most likely by bribed employees) as once they were closed they would have anti-tampering mechanism activated so that later it would not be possible to open the device without setting the tamper flag.

Once this was noticed we started weighing the terminals because we could not open the devices (once opened they become useless).

They have learned of this so they started scraping non-essential plastic from inside the device to offset the weight of the added board.

We have ended up measuring angular momentum on a special fixture. There are very expensive laboratory tables to measure angular momentum. I have created a fixture where the device could be placed in two separate positions. The theory is that if the weight and all possible angular momentums match then the devices have to be identical. We could not measure all possible angular momentums but it was possible to measure one or two that would not be known to the attacker.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

For any poor son of a bitch that has to run SEP in their environment, the firewall module on 14.2 starts making GBS threads itself once through moving more than 500mbit through an interface on a fairly beefy server. I have no idea how they are accomplishing this for something that should only be interrogating new sessions but there you go. Disable it and use the host firewall. This may have been occurring back on 14.0 but I noticed the problems with the 14.2 rollout and I believe they did some major re-writes on the latest version.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Docjowles posted:

:yikes:

Is there a more technical write up of this anywhere? It’s obnoxious trying to reverse engineer the dumbed down descriptions of CPU caches and whatnot to get at what is really going on.

It's an ongoing investigation that's probably classified, so no.

But also I'd take most of the technical stuff with a grain of salt, because it's several layers of telephone away from the real source. Bloomberg got info from anonymous government officials, but that probably wasn't the spooks examining the server mobos and dissecting spy chips. Reporters get that information from bureaucrats or military guys in the DoD who read the file, and may not know exactly how a CPU cache works themselves.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'll find out in a bit here.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I do like how, in a story about China spying on america, this bit:

quote:

U.S. spy agencies drew on the prodigious tools at their disposal. They sifted through communications intercepts, ... even tracked key individuals through their phones
is casually dropped in and passed over as if it's just the natural state of the universe that we can do this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Klyith posted:

I do like how, in a story about China spying on america, this bit:

is casually dropped in and passed over as if it's just the natural state of the universe that we can do this.

Yeah, it should really be highlighted imo. It's hypocritical to attack China over this, yet give the US a free pass.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Intelligence agencies are going to do their craft. It's also not irrational to have an asymmetrical response in favor of "your side" when these things are uncovered.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I will say that if I'm going to have governments compromising my digital electronics, I'd prefer them to be governments that are in some way beholden to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I will say that if I'm going to have governments compromising my digital electronics, I'd prefer them to be governments that are in some way beholden to me.

Adorable. You think your own government somehow gives a poo poo about you or is somehow accountable to you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Governments are for the rich and the protection of their assets.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

Adorable. You think your own government somehow gives a poo poo about you or is somehow accountable to you.

I didn't say that. But the US government is made up of people I could conceivably drive to, grab, and shake. Can't do that with China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I didn't say that. But the US government is made up of people I could conceivably drive to, grab, and shake. Can't do that with China.

Your reasoning is dumb, but hey this is a dumb world in 2018.