Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
To be honest, I haven't gotten tired of anything that This Old Tony or Clickspring do. I think that's because Clickspring doesn't do any gimmicks besides the thing where you hear some radio noises and a drawing of the final part gets overlaid over the stock. This Old Tony's gimmicks are usually comical and aren't trying desperately to be memes. He also lets people know when he isn't entirely sure what he's doing instead of talking from position of authority until he fucks something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I think I'll follow recommendations and check out This Old Tony though

Start with the go-kart build series. I think it’s the best over-all intro to Tony.

I prop up the iPad and make my 4yo watch “metal movies” any time a new ToT vid comes out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

I think it is fair to say that any youtuber you continue to watch for more than a few mins a week is likely to do something or show a side side of them that irritates you.

Personally, when they rip open a box, that really gets my back up because any reasonable person opens them carefully, perhaps running a special knife along the glueflaps and then stores them in a safe place for the next 10 years.

Ha ha ha, we wouldn't get along in real life. I hate keeping boxes, it's pointless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a no cardboard rule. Get something new, open it, and the box goes straight into recycling. I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon because it means I can just click and order, but SO MUCH CARDBOARD.

If my wife insists on keeping a box I put it in the lowest corner of the basement so when the spring rains hit it gets soaked and ruined. She hasn't figured it out yet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

xzzy posted:

I have a no cardboard rule. Get something new, open it, and the box goes straight into recycling. I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon because it means I can just click and order, but SO MUCH CARDBOARD.

If my wife insists on keeping a box I put it in the lowest corner of the basement so when the spring rains hit it gets soaked and ruined. She hasn't figured it out yet.

Lol that's a pro move

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cardboard boxes are great if you can maintain a small pile of them, at least for me. Bikes produce mountains of awkward miscellaneous parts when you take them apart and often things have to come from overseas so all those parts have to go somewhere in the interim. The new parts come in boxes so I throw the old ones out when they get tired and keep a rotating stock of boxes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I keep boxes for expensive-ish stuff because I generally tend to buy used in new-ish condition and resell in similar condition when I get tired of it or stop using it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be such a douche to your wife.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be such a douche to your wife.

Boo this man!

I also throw the large majority of boxes away ASAP. I don’t keep any more than is strictly necessary otherwise everything is clutter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jokes on him. She hides the 10mm sockets.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The shove-it-in-your-face corporate sponsorship and paid tool review stuff is where I start to fade out of youtube subs. Unfortunately, Keith Fenner is starting down that path. A couple other youtube machinists got all new dewalt 20v tools the same time and make any excuse to break them out or display them in the back of every camera shot, annoying but not the end of the world. First time they do a blatant advertisement Ill unsub and cancel my patreon stuff.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I think AvE's mini-chainsaw unboxing method is the best thing, but one of my nicknames is literally Big Dumb Animal, so...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iForge posted:

The shove-it-in-your-face corporate sponsorship and paid tool review stuff is where I start to fade out of youtube subs. Unfortunately, Keith Fenner is starting down that path. A couple other youtube machinists got all new dewalt 20v tools the same time and make any excuse to break them out or display them in the back of every camera shot, annoying but not the end of the world. First time they do a blatant advertisement Ill unsub and cancel my patreon stuff.

it's funny, in the car youtube scene it seems like that is milwaukee power tools, quick jacks, and bc suspension

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Beach Bum posted:

I think AvE's mini-chainsaw unboxing method is the best thing, but one of my nicknames is literally Big Dumb Animal, so...

That mini chainsaw is so dumb, but also hella neat.

I like watching AvE, but I certainly don't watch all of his videos anymore. The ones with his kid are awesome though :3:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iForge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SToyIb9tNiY

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Start with the go-kart build series. I think it’s the best over-all intro to Tony.

I prop up the iPad and make my 4yo watch “metal movies” any time a new ToT vid comes out.

I did this. It was awesome, thanks.

Rip free time for a bit though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Y’all had me scared.

Old Tony doesn’t have that many videos.

It’s nothing compared to binging Wandel’s channel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gotta jump on the Big Clive love train, too. He's just so lovably camp and outraaaaaageously Scottish.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Gotta jump on the Big Clive love train, too. He's just so lovably camp and outraaaaaageously Scottish.

Big Clive is great and his best video, by far, is blue collar trash chocolate cake.

e: Wait, forgot about taste-testing methylated spirit.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 2, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IPCRESS posted:

Big Clive is great and his best video, by far, is blue collar trash chocolate cake.

e: Wait, forgot about taste-testing methylated spirit.

Excuse you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcDgOGC5Lcc

E: I'm also tired of AvE. Watching through the potato-machining era was entertaining but he's repetitive, CHUD-y as others have said, yeah. Meanwhile, This Old Tony is helping Wintergatan with his mk 2 marble machine and just keeping the good content flowing with every video.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 2, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Did you see the bigclive with the ancient Stilton?
I like watching mustie1 resurrect free and yard sale small engine machines, it's repetitive but occasionally quite interesting, like the seadoo he got recently.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I've also slightly tired of AvE, only recently got into TOT and he is just amazing. Great cinematography and so much amazing physical humor. His whole editing style is probably enough to write several dissertations about.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cakesmith handyman posted:

I like watching mustie1 resurrect free and yard sale small engine machines, it's repetitive but occasionally quite interesting, like the seadoo he got recently.

I like mustie1's vids, despite their repetative nature it's interesteding to see just how similar that different small engines can be. Also, around the time chrisgt was working on the Attex, mustie1 was working on on a Beaver which included swapping engines and patching holes.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

If its anything like the Dewalt grinder (4 inch) that we had at work for a while there was a little thing that you could slide in to hold the paddle down.

That heavy smoke near the end was hypnotizing as gently caress.

all of the ones I've ever use have a "little thing" that keeps the paddle from being depressed if you drop it or set it down wrong

jesus god the idea of an angle grinder that can run without your hand firmly clasping the button ahhghgh

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

I've also slightly tired of AvE, only recently got into TOT and he is just amazing. Great cinematography and so much amazing physical humor. His whole editing style is probably enough to write several dissertations about.

ToT doesn't even have a Patreon, from what I can find. I was double-checking that I wasn't supporting AvE any longer, and I'm not, just "following" him.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's almost gotten a bit incestuous :

The most recent ElectroBoom had a bunch of shoutouts and all of them were at the top of my subscribed list, including seemingly unrelated ones like Captain Disillusion as well as Big Clive and Ave.

Then I watched thomas nagy (a UK electrician) and the first comment on his latest video was by Big Clive.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

I like mustie1's vids, despite their repetative nature it's interesteding to see just how similar that different small engines can be. Also, around the time chrisgt was working on the Attex, mustie1 was working on on a Beaver which included swapping engines and patching holes.

The beaver is how I found him, it popped up on my recommendations after watching chrisgt's first swim!

He's also good at getting videos into playlists so I've binge watched the Cushman rebuild and the single cab restoration.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Seconding mustie1 (his videos even helped me with the transmission issue on my Crown Vic, because he fixed the same issue on an F-150), and I've only been watching like 1 our of 5 of AvE's stuff lately. I've watched some of This Old Tony and enjoy those immensely.
BigClive is awesome.
Watching some of these guys at 1.25x is helpful, sometimes. Mustie1 in particular, just because he talks and rambles a bit slow.
I occasionally check out B IS For Build and Tavarish just to see what new disaster they're creating.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Watching some of these guys at 1.25x is helpful, sometimes.
Even 2x isn't fast enough for the intro and talky bits of Abom79. I love his stuff but he could probably do with editing down the segments where he discusses the family history of each micrometer in a glacial drawl every time he uses one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Kreez posted:

Even 2x isn't fast enough for the intro and talky bits of Abom79. I love his stuff but he could probably do with editing down the segments where he discusses the family history of each micrometer in a glacial drawl every time he uses one.

This was my grandpappy's sterrett that he got in 1942 from the corpse of a dead german rocket engineer. he brought it over here and used it to build the plumbing for the house my daddy grew up in. My daddy got it when gramps died, and i miss him, but dad used it to build a gas cap for our first car. I miss dad. Anyway, this things not the most accurate tool in the shop, but i like usin it cuz its got lots of memories.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

sandoz posted:

all of the ones I've ever use have a "little thing" that keeps the paddle from being depressed if you drop it or set it down wrong

It had that too.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

toplitzin posted:

This was my grandpappy's sterrett that he got in 1942 from the corpse of a dead german rocket engineer. he brought it over here and used it to build the plumbing for the house my daddy grew up in. My daddy got it when gramps died, and i miss him, but dad used it to build a gas cap for our first car. I miss dad. Anyway, this things not the most accurate tool in the shop, but i like usin it cuz its got lots of memories.

<10 second pause while he examines the micrometer on all sides with a proud smile>

"you know this reminds me that I wanted to show you guys something a viewer sent in, this here is vintage 1950s used sandpaper. I can't wait to try it out"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually I mentioned Wintergatan and his build series on the Marble Machine X is pretty drat cool. It's a whole international engineering project with people working out various designs for all the little mechanisms on the thing, machining plywood parts, doing design iterations, etc. Pretty solid rec on its own.

His channel also has some behind the scenes stuff of the original Marble Machine and that's more in line with the thread topic. The viral vid is pretty well shot and you kinda get lost in the spectacle, but this one (there is a part 2 as well) forms kind of an anti-sizzle reel where you get closeup shots. Very "warts and all" once you get a good look at everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uog48viZUbM

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Jesus christ, if you guys don't like AvE just unsubscribe and quit bitching about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pokey Araya posted:

Jesus christ, if you guys don't like AvE just unsubscribe and quit bitching about it.

If you love him so much, why don't you marry him?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This derail has been 15% slamming AvE, 80% introducing good, lesser‐known channels.

5% meta

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pokey Araya posted:

And yet said bitching was also accompanied with good suggestions and explanations why they were good. Seems to be actually quite good and informative discussion to me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is ave the guy that sounds very canadian and says safety squints a lot?

I guess I could see how his schtick would wear thing after the same one liners

On the topic of cool people building Cool poo poo I found a guy that has made his own log cabin from start to finish entirely by hand

https://youtu.be/WmYCUljsrDg

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Blue On Blue posted:

Is ave the guy that sounds very canadian and says safety squints a lot?

I guess I could see how his schtick would wear thing after the same one liners

On the topic of cool people building Cool poo poo I found a guy that has made his own log cabin from start to finish entirely by hand

https://youtu.be/WmYCUljsrDg

If you have not, you need to check out Alone in The Wilderness. Old man does that, and so much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Applesnots posted:

If you have not, you need to check out Alone in The Wilderness. Old man does that, and so much more.

Obligatory Primitive Technology plug. Turn on closed captioning