Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The NJPW Fighting Road is pretty good.

I like how the game establishes my Young Lion basically can't speak English, then nearly completely ignores this fact in favor of having me banter with the various SWA wrestlers.

Duolingo is a very useful app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its well known wrestlers speak a polyglot which is how they can wrestle all over the world. True facts according to Mike Quackenbush.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ah, the good ol cliche of Fighters Wrestlers communicate with their first slams.

I think I'm almost done with the NJPW Fighting Road, I've actually had a good bit of fun. I've especially enjoyed slowly updating my character's appearance from an at what felt like appropriate moments. Definitely turning this dude into a standard edit with logic and stuff (though probably not the monster stats you end with).

From Young Lion hopeful to the top of the card

Its really hard to create a good looking outfit that feels unique that isn't just a riot of random decals and stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I like is I made my character American and he still doesn't speak a word of English when sent to the SWA.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
My guy ended up joining LIJ after excursion, so it was fun to give him a villainous look and a bunch of rough moves (the mounted headbutts are brutal and can bust open people really easily).

I don't really know how i joined LIJ though so i hope i can avoid it in the next passthrough.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I ended up with tanahashi after excursion even though my character is a cheaty gently caress who cheats all the time and i tried to pick as many arrogant dialogue options possible

seriously, no idea how they pick

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I failed both heel group's requirements so I ended up in the Main Unit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I failed the heel group stuff because I'd made a babyface technician kinda guy and he at first had NO illegal/rough moves. A couple of rough punches and just trying to constantly fight guys on the outside weren't enough.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I passed both the Main Unit and LIJ initial tests (failed CHAOS but ramped up with weapons for LIJ) but maybe because I didn't continue to do any of that on excursion it put me with the Main Unit when I got back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvGRTArxPY

:catdrugs:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

none of things will be in the game.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

Sorry to hear about your save but I'm glad that it looks like we'll be able to have a show next week

As it stands I have one copy of the game with over 800 uncategorized workshop edits that I'm probably only ever going to use to play Fighting Road, and one copy that I'm going to use for everything else.
The next task is to figure out how to delete some of the modded moves I'm never going to move and import the NJPW moves into my modded version without screwing that up. :pseudo:

I'm happily surprised the mod community has managed to figure out how to back-port most of the new content to the older, moddable version. And by 'mod community' I mean Carlzilla and some Japanese guy who showed up on discord with the one specific file needed to import the new moves into the old version that nobody else could figure out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh so now they’re basically pirating the DLC content? Cause that’s what it sounds like.

Even if it is a “you need to obtain the dlc move files yourself” thing it’s still enabling others to do the dishonest thing to a niche cult series that is barely limping along.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

none of things will be in the game.

That's what happens every year. It's literally nothing but free money for Paul Heyman's marketing firm every year. Grift grift grift.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Jeff Hardy turned into a ring canvas and ate his enemies, this would be game of the year.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

WWE, make Rusev's shirt explode off his body during his entrance every time tia

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh so now they’re basically pirating the DLC content? Cause that’s what it sounds like.

Even if it is a “you need to obtain the dlc move files yourself” thing it’s still enabling others to do the dishonest thing to a niche cult series that is barely limping along.

On the one hand, yeah. On the other hand, this has technically been possible since the moment they figured out how to make custom moves and custom parts months ago, the big break through was figuring out how to load the DLC move files using less memory than modded move files, so you're not limited to "177 Non-core game moves before it hits the memory limit" and Fire pro sites have forbidden the distribution of DLC moves or parts on them or their associated discords. On the other hand, let's be real, this game has been dead in Spike's eyes since the PS4 release flopped in Japan.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well its certainly dead in Carl's eyes, given he spent the last month wishing the game would die so he could pick apart the bones for his mods.

This whole thing has been a big, dumb, overdramatic mess.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Not sure how you can say a game that just released DLC and had the dev team say that nothing else has been cancelled yet is "dead." I mean, yeah if Spike says they're done, then RIP, but all I've seen so far is just people dooming and glooming.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 1, 2018

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Because the update "ruined the pc version and killed the quality of life mods" and carl is too stubborn to try and make new mods for 2.0.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I mean I can understand not wanting to basically redo all your work from scratch because Spike changed all the hooks and poo poo, but man what I saw of his reaction (which admittedly wasn't everything) was pretty ugly, acting like his mod suite was the only thing that made an otherwise POS game usable.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mod scenes never fail to disappoint

People with the drive and focus to work a project but without the flexibility to manage change or the people skills to deal with feedback and / or critique. Drama guaranteed

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 2, 2018

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Wow it's almost as if you reverse engineer something based on decompiled bytecode/source code, that source code is likely to change when a game releases an update!

The guy is a total amateur if that's his excuses. Just say you don't want to update it to the new version.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There are games that are legit really hard to mod but I’m only familiar with cases like the original Mass Effect where the code was a complete mess under the hood. I doubt FPW is like that.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

spongeh posted:

The guy is a total amateur if that's his excuses. Just say you don't want to update it to the new version.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

wrestling game mods scene has always been full of weird toxic personalities. the no mercy mod scene was the most unbearable.

It really is thoroughly this. When you drill down enough into the great abyss of niches to find people who are into programming->modding->emulation->professional wrestling you wind up with a community made up of some impressive loving headcases, and carlzilla is not an exception.

STONE COLD 64 is also absolutely right that it has nothing on No Mercy, which lived almost exclusively on insane web forums. I remember the biggest one having a phase where it started banning accounts that were just downloading mods instead of making them, because they were parasites and you should only get to mod the game if you contribute to the community, because userbases are for suckers.

edit: this made me go look up how the no mercy scene is doing right now and the first thing I found was a joshi total conversion the creator has been posting about for three years but will only give to a handful of users who personally ask for links because they don't want people to steal their work

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 2, 2018

Takuan
May 6, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Not sure how you can say a game that just released DLC and had the dev team say that nothing else has been cancelled yet is "dead." I mean, yeah if Spike says they're done, then RIP, but all I've seen so far is just people dooming and glooming.

Yeah, I'm probably being hyperbolic, and possibly wrong, but that's just the impression I've been getting from things said and done by the company and people involved in development, and how these are similar to other games and small Japanese developers. The thing that gets me most is how they didn't announce or hype up the DLC release on PC at all after the delay and just dropped it out of nowhere with a single tweet from a developer saying "it's out." In my past experience, when a company does this, they're past the point of caring if anyone buys it or not.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I mean I can understand not wanting to basically redo all your work from scratch because Spike changed all the hooks and poo poo, but man what I saw of his reaction (which admittedly wasn't everything) was pretty ugly, acting like his mod suite was the only thing that made an otherwise POS game usable.

My understanding of this, not just from Carl but the two other modders in the Fire Pro Community, it's not so much a matter of the volume of changes made, it's what was changed, and apparently it's fundamentally impossible to make any changes to a match while it's loading. Yeah, Carl has his issues, but it's not just him saying this, it's the other two people who have the knowledge and experience on the subject as well saying "Modding 2.0 in any meaningful way is not possible."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
If true that would require setting things so that you make the settings before hitting “entry finished”, which would require substantial alterations to much of the mod suite, but someone could pull that off. There are game mods that add options to actual in-game menus (rather than requiring an external console to operate) so I doubt it’s impossible.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
OK, and that sucks, but I don't think "hey, your game is unmoddable, therefore it's ok for people not to pay for it" is really a sensible argument

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy hell that No Mercy Joshi mod looks rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l237rpQaXnA

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

How good is the 1P DLC mode? Probably can't justify :10bux: :10bux: if it's short and I'm mostly just buying the dudes

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fat Lowtax posted:

How good is the 1P DLC mode? Probably can't justify :10bux: :10bux: if it's short and I'm mostly just buying the dudes

I am on Chapter 35 of the Fighting Road, having just come back to NJPW from Excursion with SWA, and the game is listing my Scenario progress as 9.1%. There are apparently branching paths so one playthrough apparently won't get you 100%.

I think I saw someone say there is around 50 chapters per playthrough? Each chapter is a match I think

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so far my fave part of the game is eating lunch with SANADA.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm enjoying it. It needed a copy editor in a bunch of places, but aside from early on where a match objective is stated as directly opposite what they meant (the Main Unit wants you to not do rough/illegal moves) it's perfectly intelligible. There's a lot of 6/8 man tag matches, but it moves a lot quicker than career mode in a modern WWE game. On "normal" difficulty with some experience with the game and the ridiculous stats your character can wind up with, the difficulty is less winning matches (though the tag matches can put some randomness into that) but trying to work with an uncooperative AI into making the algorithm give you a good rating. I'm not sure how much it actually matters and how much of the story is smoke-and-mirrors vs. actually reacting to you.

I'm on chapter 45, just did Wrestling Dontaku as a member of Taguchi Japan for the NEVER 6-man belt. I think the game goes until Wrestle Kingdom so there's still like seven in-game months, so there must be at least the potential of more than 50 chapters unless there's big timeskips.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am a little bummed they put no thought into balancing you. the player with anyone in the game. It really doesnt matter I guess as you can win on medium difficulty early on any way with no stats whatsoever, but I just finished the G1 and I am sooo freakin overpowered. I have 10s in every offensive stat, 8 or higher in defense, strike criticals and hardbody going for me right now. I can look at Okada harshly and he might break from the strain of my ambient might.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, and the AI starts at like 2, which is basically braindead. It has to be at like 7 to be even kind of challenging if you 'get' the grappling system.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

remusclaw posted:

I am a little bummed they put no thought into balancing you. the player with anyone in the game. It really doesnt matter I guess as you can win on medium difficulty early on any way with no stats whatsoever, but I just finished the G1 and I am sooo freakin overpowered. I have 10s in every offensive stat, 8 or higher in defense, strike criticals and hardbody going for me right now. I can look at Okada harshly and he might break from the strain of my ambient might.

I'm not. Esp in single player games, I want to be a god among men. Let me start small and surpass all my digital rivals until their skulls line my championship belt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like a good balance where i have to build myself up but after doing so can feel like a god against the computer often, but other times receive decent challenges that would have destroyed me in seconds if i took them on earlier.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

DLC extra parts reminds me of one of my least favorite things about the dumb WWE games: you see something cool on creation center, but because the guy used Elbow Smash 5 and Kneepad 27 from the $15 Candice Michelle, Jesse and Festus Retro DLC, you can't download it.

Still not sure there's any other way to do it for Fire Pro, and anyway it seems like most of the energy of people making a massive amount of stuff was around launch.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
My Fire Pro Fighting Road guy is a Fighter class character who uses only strikes and has CRITICAL!s set to striking, it's a pretty fun little challenge at times and also hilariously blunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does anyone else who makes edits in Fire Pro really struggle to make good looking outfits with some complexity to them without just looking like a random riot of colors and decals? It has lead to most of my existing edits having pretty simplistic outfits. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess, especially since I was originally aiming for a slightly faux-80s feel. But its starting to feel frustrating.

Haven't really tried using the new DLC parts though.