Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But doesn’t that mean you’re stuck watching everything in standard def

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mostly watch things on dvd because I'm not really into streaming (I will get the Disney one if and only if they pile all their classic animation onto it and I'm not holding my breath) so I haven't seen Wynonna Earp yet because it's not had UK dvd releases. I just checked and all three seasons so far are coming out before the end of the year; the first two seasons are out next week then the third is out in November. It's very strange.

Brah, you're doing tv wrong. You need a make over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly have very little idea of definition; I imagine it's because when I was younger I almost exclusively watched old sitcoms and old episodes of Doctor Who so I never developed much of a discerning palate in terms of picture quality. When something looks really good I recognise it, but most of the time it's not something I pay much attention to.

My dad bought one of those televisions with a concave screen and every time I've tried watching anything on it it's looked weird to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should see an ophthalmologist

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually have incredibly bad eyesight; I'm currently sitting at my desk and if I took my glasses off I wouldn't be able to read my computer screen. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was like you. I thought i was too young to see an ophthalmologist and I was wrong. They fixed me right up, assuming you have health insurance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can see the difference between SD and HD but I can't REALLY see the difference between HD and Ultra.

I mean, I sorta do, but I also don't really appreciate it or think its worth it. Although there was a time I felt the same about HD unless you were watching sports or really scenery rich stuff like Lord of the Rings.

But yeah, I also have glasses and skipped my scheduled eye check up this year. So I might just be blind.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never understood why people care about resolution .SD or HD doesn't matter. The whole point of television is for it to be on in the background while you play Fortnite.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The difference between HD and 4K is significant, but the different between HD and 4K HDR is a game changer.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
After finishing Bodyguard, someone recommended Line of Duty. I'm a few episodes in and it's pretty good so far! Looks like they are about to start their 5th season. Does the quality hold up through the seasons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hooooooly poo poo I just saw the John Ritter episode of SVU and now the Michael Pitt episode is on and he just name dropped Andrew Cunanan. Lots of chaff in this show but the wheat is so good. See also: the Robin Williams episode

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Robin Williams episode is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Wrong!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

If it had been anybody other then him, then yes I'd agree. He made that terrible plot worth watching with enjoyment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pentyne posted:

If it had been anybody other then him, then yes I'd agree. He made that terrible plot worth watching with enjoyment.

Plus Richard Belzer fuckin killed it in that ep

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Only because he wasn't wearing a green suit with a giant question mark on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pentyne posted:

It contrasts very poorly with his turn on Homicide.

McSpanky posted:

Only because he wasn't wearing a green suit with a giant question mark on it.

It's amazing that SVU did TWO episodes where the cops basically fight the Riddler.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It contrasts very poorly with his turn on Homicide.

Homicide was the prestige cop drama and SVU is the popcorn cop melodrama and he plays accordingly in each.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anyone been watching The Purge series?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Davros1 posted:

I have, but I don’t really know why. I think I’m waiting to see if Lee Tergesen’s story picks up. The couple at the classy pro-purge party are the dullest part of the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

The movies are kind of dope but what does a series about it even look like?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

I could see an 24-esque real time show following a couple different groups being interesting enough.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

precision posted:

swickles posted:

I could see an 24-esque real time show following a couple different groups being interesting enough.

Question and answer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

You mean 12-esque

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

Question and answer.

Oh word? I'll definitely check it out. The Purge movies are way better than they have any right to be

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The purge movies are nowhere near as good as they have the right to be given the fantastic premise

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Is anyone else watching Animal Kingdom? I don't see a thread for it in this forum, did I miss it? I went back 3 pages.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

compshateme85 posted:

Is anyone else watching Animal Kingdom? I don't see a thread for it in this forum, did I miss it? I went back 3 pages.

There's no thread, though I know at least one other goon watches the show.

(I thought it went really downhill this season, and I say this as a guy who tries to find the good in most things he watches.)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, Episode 10 of Bojack is timely as gently caress.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I liked this season of Animal Kingdom but it definitely did drop in quality. It mostly suffered from having to rebuild itself back to status quo while getting rid of things that actually moved the characters forward.

The show is in a bad place because it both needs Smurf but also needs her to die. J's plotting of a long revenge against her also didn't feel particularly well thought out either and it seems like he would have been much better just lying to the cops, flipping the kids, and keeping her in jail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X-O posted:

The difference between HD and 4K is significant, but the different between HD and 4K HDR is a game changer.

Absolutely. It's not just a visual upgrade, it changes the story telling.

For example, I couldn't even imagine watching something like Maniac or Altered Carbon in SDR, so much of their narrative is tied to their look and SDR just isn't capable of showing it the same way.

I'm beyond hype for season 4 of The Expanse since that's almost certainly going to be HDR on release since all Amazon Originals are. It's going to be game changing for the look of the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched the expanse and altered carbon on my phone

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I wouldn't say any show was contingent on HDR but if you can get it, it's super great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

Ok?

Depending on what phone it was, it's probably better quality than any tv in your house.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched (some of) Altered Carbon in 4k and HDR and that sure didn't save it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really enjoyed that show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just accidentally pushed "666" on the remote and it took me to a season 29 episode of the Simpsons

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
McMayans got renewed for another season of Sutter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jose Andres is a hero and all that but he needs to keep his shirt on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Body shaming ain't cool.