Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

Any modern single player FPS games in interesting/unusual environments?

The original Prey (2006)? You're abducted by aliens in the first few minutes of the game and the rest takes place in a Dyson sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicFrog posted:

You're a self-aware NPC inside the unfinished game and the company founder/creative director is so busy loving around with ~his vision~ that the company is being shut down with the game still unfinished and unreleased. Someone gives you access to debugging tools and asks for your help in getting the game into playable state from the inside before the servers are shut down for good.

Which is to say, it's a finished game about fixing an unfinished game from the inside while having to avoid the notice of petty, capricious gods software developers.

I didn't like it, but I don't think it's a bad game; just not my taste.

sounds like they should be paying me to play it

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NonzeroCircle posted:

Any modern single player FPS games in interesting/unusual environments?

I've been to Hell in Do4m, the moon in Wolfenstein, run around the glaring future of Mirror's Edge Catalyst, thoroughly explored The Zone from Stalker/the Metros and have been playing Quake Champions recently which is what spurred 'I want weird places'. Third person would do in a pinch, probably gonna have a proper go at Hellblade tomorrow. Preferably on Steam but GOG/Origin (sigh) is fine too.

Painkiller

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a sci fi game where sitting at your computer controlling things is part of the conceit. Like you're piloting a drone or controlling cameras or something. If you've played Duskers, that but 3D would be nice. Or Five Nights at Freddy's but with aliens.

Also I could swear I saw a game 15 to 20 years ago where tracking the aliens through a space station using cameras was a huge part of the gameplay, and sometines they attack the camera. Is there a "Help me find this old game" thread anywhere?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a sci fi game where sitting at your computer controlling things is part of the conceit. Like you're piloting a drone or controlling cameras or something. If you've played Duskers, that but 3D would be nice. Or Five Nights at Freddy's but with aliens.

Also I could swear I saw a game 15 to 20 years ago where tracking the aliens through a space station using cameras was a huge part of the gameplay, and sometines they attack the camera. Is there a "Help me find this old game" thread anywhere?

There's the "help us remember the name of a game" thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Objects in Space

https://store.steampowered.com/app/824070/Objects_in_Space/

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Splicer posted:

Iron Helix is sorta that, except you're controlling a drone flying through a derelict spaceship while a rogue combat drone hunts you

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this looks fantastic. reminds me of Independence War except maybe this will actually run on modern hardware

e: Just got it and even in the tutorial I can tell this game is extremely my poo poo. Nice find dude

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 28, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Splicer posted:

- Iron Helix was already mentioned.
- The Experiment (eXperience 113 in some countries) comes to mind; you're a camera operator with access to all the security cameras and a few ship's systems, but not much else. You can only communicate with the actual protagonist by flashing lights at her and stuff.
- Scavenger SV-4 is a game about sending a rover down to a radioactive hellworld and driving it around to collect alien relics and bring them back to the ship for analysis, which also having to keep up with the regular ship maintenance and medical treatment that keep your ship and/or body from disintegrating due to the radiation and occasionally dealing with hazards that ride back on the rover.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

My fave sci-fi game where being a computer controlling things is the conceit was good old Suspended

You're basically a brain-in-a-jar but have robots that can do poo poo for you to accomplish goals. The robots have issues resulting from the same disaster you're trying to use them to fix, of course, so that complicates matters further. Iris, the only robot you have that can see, for example, starts out blind.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Splicer posted:

it's ancient and difficult to find, but Millennia: Altered Destinies was kind of like this; you guide the development of four different alien civilizations throughout time from your time-hopping ship

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

e: Just got it and even in the tutorial I can tell this game is extremely my poo poo. Nice find dude

No problem. Truth be told I haven't tried it yet myself, but I've been following its development and it sounds like what this guy is looking for. It looks very "Hunt for Red October in Space"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

chairface posted:

My fave sci-fi game where being a computer controlling things is the conceit was good old Suspended

You're basically a brain-in-a-jar but have robots that can do poo poo for you to accomplish goals. The robots have issues resulting from the same disaster you're trying to use them to fix, of course, so that complicates matters further. Iris, the only robot you have that can see, for example, starts out blind.

This looks really difficult to play without the feelies.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

McFrugal posted:

This looks really difficult to play without the feelies.

The copyprotection of 1983, yeah, definitely. The map and tokens to keep up with the robots were p important.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Splicer posted:

Lifeline. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

There's the "help us remember the name of a game" thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708
Thanks! Crossposted.

Thanks to everyone, I'll definitely check out Objects in Space but for now we have a winner:

ToxicFrog posted:

- Scavenger SV-4 is a game about sending a rover down to a radioactive hellworld and driving it around to collect alien relics and bring them back to the ship for analysis, which also having to keep up with the regular ship maintenance and medical treatment that keep your ship and/or body from disintegrating due to the radiation and occasionally dealing with hazards that ride back on the rover.
Driving a drone around weird planets was exactly what I was looking for. I'll stop by with a trip report later.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This isn't so much a solid suggestion, but the remake of Cholo (http://www.ovine.net/#remakes) is probably as old as Cholo was when it was remade. You remote control a tiny weak tank-thing in a semi-free roaming world filled with robots that you take over and do puzzly things with. Here's the original also: https://www.mobygames.com/game/cholo

It's similar in that you're remote controlling something faulty to explore a fairly hostile world and overcome technical hurdles here and there.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hi thread,

I'm looking for something to play on my android,

More specifically a RPG you can play in portrait orientation and you can create your own party (or customize your character). Preferably not a roguelike (unless its a really good one), no freemium or premium (10 bucks and up).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I finally got myself a much overdue new rig, so I'm looking for new-ish games that push graphics boundaries to see all the pretty I missed in these last few years; the most graphics-intensive game I played on my old hardware is Witcher 3 on medium 1080p at less-than-ideal framerates, now I'm going for high/ultra 1440p@60fps

I have shortlisted AC:Origins because I've been wanting to play it and it wouldn't run on my old computer and GTA 5 (even though I already played it on PS3), I honestly haven't a clue of what else came out recently and has AAA+++ graphics since until now I've been focusing on indies and older games for performance reasons.

What else would you recommend keeping in mind that my favorite genres are RPGs, 4Xs, sandbox games, driving games and management/simulation games? (I really dislike fast-paced action/FPS)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Metal Gear Solid 5 doesn't necessarily push the boundaries since its a PS3 but the game looks great since it scales really well with modern hardware. Stealth / Management / Open World

Also has some very good mods available.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TorakFade posted:

I finally got myself a much overdue new rig, so I'm looking for new-ish games that push graphics boundaries to see all the pretty I missed in these last few years; the most graphics-intensive game I played on my old hardware is Witcher 3 on medium 1080p at less-than-ideal framerates, now I'm going for high/ultra 1440p@60fps

I have shortlisted AC:Origins because I've been wanting to play it and it wouldn't run on my old computer and GTA 5 (even though I already played it on PS3), I honestly haven't a clue of what else came out recently and has AAA+++ graphics since until now I've been focusing on indies and older games for performance reasons.

What else would you recommend keeping in mind that my favorite genres are RPGs, 4Xs, sandbox games, driving games and management/simulation games? (I really dislike fast-paced action/FPS)

Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Rise of the Tomb Raider. Dishonored 2.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Splicer posted:

There's a game for the PS2 called Lifeline where the central gimmick is that you're in a spaceship infested with aliens barking commands at another character, literally, through a headset, while monitoring her and occasionally manipulating the environment through ship cameras. The voice recognition as you'd expect was extremely bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Hi thread,

I'm looking for something to play on my android,

More specifically a RPG you can play in portrait orientation and you can create your own party (or customize your character). Preferably not a roguelike (unless its a really good one), no freemium or premium (10 bucks and up).

The Quest, which is basically an old school Elder Scrolls.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone have a suggestion for a game like Total War: Empire that isn't, y'know, Total War: Empire? Line battles with lots of guns and cannons. Fall Of The Samurai is nice but it doesn't quite hit that feeling since it is mixed with the samurai stuff

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a game like Total War: Empire that isn't, y'know, Total War: Empire? Line battles with lots of guns and cannons. Fall Of The Samurai is nice but it doesn't quite hit that feeling since it is mixed with the samurai stuff

Napoleon: Total War. It's Empire but it shrinks the scope to something far more manageable and has good and fun battles from turn one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Napoleon: Total War. It's Empire but it shrinks the scope to something far more manageable and has good and fun battles from turn one.

Is it good to play, ie stable and relatively bug free?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've never encountered a bug or instability outside of using the Hyrule Total War mod for Medieval 2, so I'm the worst person to ask as I'm somehow ultra-lucky and didn't even suffer at all during Empire's launch.

However, Napoleon is meant to be pretty stable. I do not recall if Darthmod is seen as a requirement these days.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which Zachtronic game is good for someone new to his games that's still learning programming?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Which Zachtronic game is good for someone new to his games that's still learning programming?

SpaceChem doesn't require any programming knowledge, although it's still testing the same kind of logic, broadly speaking.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The ones that have you working with code are TIS-100, SHENZHEN I/O, and EXAPUNKS. They kind of build on each other in that each deals with programming individual units (a grid of terminals, circuit boards, and nanobots respectively) to achieve a greater goal, so the instruction set in TIS-100 is the simplest if I remember, but it's also very abstracted and dry: you're programming a fictional computer from the 80's. SHENZHEN hits that Goldilocks zone of accessibility and compelling theme in my opinion. Don't let the fact that it has you programming circuit boards scare you away, you don't need to know anything about electrical engineering or anything like that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

You don't need to be a programmer to play a Zachtronics game. I've played SpaceChem, TIS, and Shenzhen, and I'd describe them as, like, "logic obstacle courses". They're a bit like those physics puzzle games on phones where you place all the platforms and hit "go", and hopefully the ball gets into the cup.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So are there any action RPGs out there that do weapons/stats in a similar way to the Dark Souls series, without being quite so hardcore? The kind of thing I mean is where you have fairly freeform options to build your character, and different weapons are more about different attack patterns/range than they are just "more damage = better weapon". I like Dark Souls, but I'm interested in something to play when I'm not quite in the mood to deal with constantly dying all the time. I know Dragon's Dogma is kind of like this, but I'm looking for something a bit more open ended in terms of character builds. DD is fairly fixed when it comes to weapon selection.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As someone who just got started on Opus Magnum, I'd recommend that as the most accessible Zachtronics game (maybe excepting Infinifactory). It's not out and out programming, but just like Space Chem it's testing a lot of the same problem solving skills. Unlike Space Chem, I find the instruction timeline to be much easier to work with and the difficulty curve feels smoother. An added bonus is that it's also prettier.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who just got started on Opus Magnum, I'd recommend that as the most accessible Zachtronics game (maybe excepting Infinifactory). It's not out and out programming, but just like Space Chem it's testing a lot of the same problem solving skills. Unlike Space Chem, I find the instruction timeline to be much easier to work with and the difficulty curve feels smoother. An added bonus is that it's also prettier.

Agreed, Opus Magnum is definitely the easiest Zachtronics game to beat. The playing area is infinite and there are no requirements on how fast/cheap/small your machine needs to be, which means you can basically brute force everything.

There are levels after the ending that restrict the playing area, which definitely cannot be brute-forced.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So are there any action RPGs out there that do weapons/stats in a similar way to the Dark Souls series, without being quite so hardcore? The kind of thing I mean is where you have fairly freeform options to build your character, and different weapons are more about different attack patterns/range than they are just "more damage = better weapon". I like Dark Souls, but I'm interested in something to play when I'm not quite in the mood to deal with constantly dying all the time. I know Dragon's Dogma is kind of like this, but I'm looking for something a bit more open ended in terms of character builds. DD is fairly fixed when it comes to weapon selection.

Monster Hunter World?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Monster Hunter World?

"not as hardcore", doesn't want to die all the time, recommends loving Monster Hunter of all things.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

TorakFade posted:

FFXV is gorgeous (if you install the 4k textures) and you'll spend a good few minutes with the FPS counter up trying to balance beauty and performance as it's punishing on ultra.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dis astranagant posted:

"not as hardcore", doesn't want to die all the time, recommends loving Monster Hunter of all things.

World is very toned down in the bullshit department. It's still kind of an iffy recommend in this case but not much else has that kinda weapon tech I guess.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for card-based games that don't put a ton of emphasis on deck-building? Preferably with a narrative and/or roguelike structure.

I enjoy card games, I just always end up wanting to skip to the fun part (for me) which is figuring out how to best use the cards together on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for card-based games that don't put a ton of emphasis on deck-building? Preferably with a narrative and/or roguelike structure.

I enjoy card games, I just always end up wanting to skip to the fun part (for me) which is figuring out how to best use the cards together on the fly.

What you are looking for is Card Quest. The composition of your decks are determined by your class, the structure is similar to a roguelike and there's metaprogression (you can unlock items and classes when you meet certain requirements). Expect to die a lot early on, but it's a ton of fun.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 1, 2018