Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Given how much stress they apparently suffer being representatives of a powerful hegemonic class that has immense temporal authority, I have to wonder how fast these people would completely shatter if they were ever actually oppressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Given how much stress they apparently suffer being representatives of a powerful hegemonic class that has immense temporal authority, I have to wonder how fast these people would completely shatter if they were ever actually oppressed.

They tend to think of the world as a zero sum game. Giving minorities rights by definition means you're [somehow] taking rights away from the majority. Taking womens' stories of sexual assault seriously and persecuting their attackers by definition means you're oppressing men. The idea of a win-win situation is foreign to them. There's a serious strain of "You're either loving or getting hosed" in American culture and especially political thought that a lot of people are very afraid to grapple with.

https://i.imgur.com/qXrRxAk.mp4

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There are certainly days (and these past few have been among them) where the admonition to love one's enemies is very difficult.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
slimy hog and other internetodox who want something to listen to, this podcast is pretty good. if i find this priest's email address i might even write to him to ask him for concrete directions on how to deal with ambition, which is one of my greatest sins.

https://doxalpha.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/fr-peter-alban-heers-more-than-a-village-it-takes-a-family/

When I say that I am trying to be a "traditional" or "conservative" Orthodox, people like this priest are what I mean. Unless he turns out to have terrible views on something I haven't seen, I've been burned by the Internet before.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Night10194 posted:

It's also a massively sheltered upbringing and white/christian/often male privilege. They think that their lovely upper middle class problems are equal to actual persecution.

At least, that's my suspicion, as it seems the only way they can so casually vote for legislation abusing others.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/chIoroplast/status/1046106523594887168

:crossarms:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This chap's got calvinism's number alright.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

us too

and look at all the salty catholics complaining about us in the responses

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Not sure I get the Baptist one. In my experience, Baptists about niche theological topics tend to go with that Catholic answer, "Who told you you could think independently about your beliefs?," deeming it irrelevant, or if it's something actually interesting, inviting you to a local coffee shop to talk.

https://i.imgur.com/nwwVowi.mp4

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I decided to get a new e-Bible when I came into a small amount of money so I got an NIV Study Bible. I've been reading The Message for years so it's interesting to re-read the Bible in a different voice. The supplemental material is often interesting but the editorial content tries to straddle a weird line between traditional and modern interpretations of things. I'm still in the books of Moses and they're kinda like 'Yeah Moses totally wrote these (except for the parts that reference events after he died, and the part that talks about how humble he was)

Or when it's talking about the plagues of Egypt it says the Nile turning to blood could be an over abundance of red sediment, but then we get to the killing of the firstborn and naturalistic explanations go out the window. If the events happened as described there's no reason to think the Nile turning to blood was any less supernatural in nature than God selectively killing Egypt's firstborn.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
reminds me of this

http://orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/review_osb.aspx

which tries to appeal to other christian religions as well as being orthodox, and kinda fails at it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

i scrolled down and everyone on his twitter is ok with cavanaugh because they believe he can help establish a society in which everyone lives by catholic sexual laws

the one that says do not rape is irrelevant i guess

beware woke catholic twitter and left catholic twitter

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 30, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
tfw you only now realize that maximos the confessor and makarios the great were two different people

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

i scrolled down and everyone on his twitter is ok with cavanaugh because they believe he can help establish a society in which everyone lives by catholic sexual laws

No society has ever existed in which everyone lives by Catholic sexual laws. Including the Catholic Church.

https://i.imgur.com/LpRXdlw.mp4

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 30, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

No society has ever existed in which everyone lives by Catholic sexual laws. Including the Catholic Church.
this guy doesn't care what kavanaugh does in his life, he only cares what he will legally enforce. one law for him, a much harsher one for the rest of us

https://twitter.com/smalwigwamlight/status/1046085689358655488

the "political transformation of society"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 30, 2018

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Well, that’s completely terrifying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All I'll say is a whole lot of these people better really hope us Universalists are right or they're gonna have a hell of a surprise waiting at eternity.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Empress Theonora posted:

Well, that’s completely terrifying.
left catholic twitter is not as woke as it wants you to believe

also to the catholics who keep appropriating the names of byzantine emperors to talk about how much you want someone to persecute us as heretics, i see you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GUNS posted:

this guy doesn't care what kavanaugh does in his life, he only cares what he will legally enforce. one law for him, a much harsher one for the rest of us

https://twitter.com/smalwigwamlight/status/1046085689358655488

the "political transformation of society"

ive been saying that this is basically just catholic leninism for a while now

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

All I'll say is a whole lot of these people better really hope us Universalists are right or they're gonna have a hell of a surprise waiting at eternity.
as an Orthodox i am required to believe that these people are doing the best they can and that only I, HEGEL, am the first of sinners

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

ive been saying that this is basically just catholic leninism for a while now
thank god soemone else sees it
also, how much did lenin hate queer people

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

as an Orthodox i am required to believe that these people are doing the best they can and that only I, HEGEL, am the first of sinners

I know I should do the same, I just really, really struggle with it. I've always been a pretty hot-headed and angry person.

I think it's the flip side of anxiety.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

I know I should do the same, I just really, really struggle with it. I've always been a pretty hot-headed and angry person.

Very much same. My greatest struggle in controlling my passions isn't sexual desire or gluttony, it's that I get angry, I look down on others, and I'm anxious.

It's a lifelong process, dealing with the passions. Before weird Protestants coopted the term, that's what "spiritual warfare" means.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

The downside to this approach is, I've never been able to move past this step. My primary struggle with my passions is with depression and despair. I've always been intensely critical of myself, to the extent that friends and family have often commented that I'm harsher on myself than anyone they know. I still remember with perfect clarity moments of embarrassing myself in elementary school.

This can be a good first step, but take it with caution.

https://i.imgur.com/62nzuHV.mp4

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

also to the catholics who keep appropriating the names of byzantine emperors to talk about how much you want someone to persecute us as heretics, i see you

What if they go by "Julianus"?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

What if they go by "Julianus"?

dont doxx me

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

dont doxx me

<shakes his fist> Thou hast conquered, Hey Guns!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

If you ever wondered what literally hundreds of nuns shaking it to the tunes of a Polish cover band looked like then boy, are you in luck today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNwGjyay954

:3:

I kinda also like the alternative version here, though :v::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZQEkLjt8I

e: here is some more footage from a different concert (same event though)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 30, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

speaking of orthodox image macros, this is one of my favorites

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jumping nuns very good :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
so i really upset someone the other day by asking about the necessity of the crucifixion in frankly insensitive terms, and i'd like to educate myself

can anyone recommend a good explanation of Catholic soteriology for a layman

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so i really upset someone the other day by asking about the necessity of the crucifixion in frankly insensitive terms, and i'd like to educate myself

catholics: we had sinned against god the father, someone had to pay for it, that someone was god the son
orthodox: christ died, went to hell, and trashed the place. then he beat up satan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: nevermind, pretty much all I had to do to answer this question was open the summa theologica

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 1, 2018

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Specifically, Jesus didn't pay instead of us paying, because us being crucified wouldn't have accomplished anything. In order to make reparations for the first sin, the one that infected all of us, a priest had to perfectly offer a perfect sacrifice, but we can't do things perfectly and didn't have anything perfect to offer anyway. So Jesus offered himself. Problem solved.

(This does not mean that after this sacrifice he didn't beat up Satan and steal his lunch money all the souls of the dead. It does mean that we weren't sitting on death row when mysteriously someone offered to be executed on our behalf.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any theology that tries to cut out the Harrowing of Hell is a sad theology I want no part in.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Night10194 posted:

Any theology that tries to cut out the Harrowing of Hell is a sad theology I want no part in.

Fortunately it’s in the Apostle’s Creed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's actually an interesting question I've often debated in myself. God is omnipotent, and could have atoned for our sins any way he wanted to. It wasn't strictly necessary that Christ was crucified and resurrected, but it's how God chose to do things, for reasons we can only guess at.

I suspect it was for our benefit, that we needed to see a man killed horribly and be resurrected anyway. God wanted to demonstrate his power over death in the most graphic form possible.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Ok, what heresy is this?

https://local.theonion.com/casual-christian-accepts-christ-as-his-lord-but-not-his-1829440243

Also, is there a thread opinion on Jacques Maritain? I picked up a book about him and his thoughts on Christians in a democracy. Looked interesting but it turned out to be quotes of his cherry-picked from a variety of his writings. Is Maritain worth reading?

ALSO, my next chemo round is tomorrow. Please give me your intentions so I can pray on them while I'm sitting.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Pershing posted:

ALSO, my next chemo round is tomorrow. Please give me your intentions so I can pray on them while I'm sitting.

Prayers for you. Please pray for my aunt, S., and cousin, A., as they try to find their new normal after my uncle’s, B., death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pershing posted:

I'm going to be selfish and ask that you pray for me. I fail in patience and in love more often than I'd like to. My father is very ill and it's wearing me down. I could use some strength.