Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: The Hobbit movies weren't just awful, they retroactively ruined the good LotR movies. Fellowship alone could make me overlook a mountain of criticisms of the later two movies but now I can't see Orlando Bloom or comic relief Gimli or Sir Ian as Gandalf without seeing PS3 cutscene love triangles and stupid sexy Thorin and GandalfxGaladriel. I'd watch an Attack of the Clones threepeat before sitting through the Hobbit trilogy again

LOTR PHUO: Fellowship is the only good LOTR movie, it was more accessible for not having Tom Bombadil show up, and every movie following was more and more Green Screen FMV: The Movie.

And in that last way, they are really similar to the prequel trilogy. Directors finally got the power to basically do whatever the gently caress they wanted in post, and there was a period where they were doing it really badly. poo poo like Clone Troopers being entirely CG for no reason, or making Ian McKellen break down as he had to act to a set made almost entirely of green boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, McKellen's greenscreen sadness was the first Hobbit movie - they still used forced perspective and everything for most of LOTR.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Almonds suck rear end. I don't mean that almonds are over used, or that they're a fad food, or that people should eat them less. I mean almonds are a garbage nut that taste bad and aren't enjoyable to eat, ever. The only good kind of almond is a Jordan almond, and those are only good while you're enjoying the Jordan part. Once you get down to the almond, it all goes to poo poo.

In a world where things made sense, almonds would not be sold as food. The fact that almonds are even edible should be something that you only know if you watch a documentary about the Great Depression and somebody who lived through it was like, "times got so tough, ma ground acorns to mix in to the flour to make it last longer, and even gave us almonds to eat. Those were equally bad, because both acorns and almonds are garbage nuts"

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I like to pronounce the word "sword" as "sword" instead of its proper pronunciation of "sword"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Almonds suck rear end. I don't mean that almonds are over used, or that they're a fad food, or that people should eat them less. I mean almonds are a garbage nut that taste bad and aren't enjoyable to eat, ever. The only good kind of almond is a Jordan almond, and those are only good while you're enjoying the Jordan part. Once you get down to the almond, it all goes to poo poo.

In a world where things made sense, almonds would not be sold as food. The fact that almonds are even edible should be something that you only know if you watch a documentary about the Great Depression and somebody who lived through it was like, "times got so tough, ma ground acorns to mix in to the flour to make it last longer, and even gave us almonds to eat. Those were equally bad, because both acorns and almonds are garbage nuts"

wrong friendo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Guy Goodbody posted:

Almonds are only good if they are heavily salted, and I'd rather be eaten a salted cashew 100% of the time. Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and peanuts can gently caress off out of the mixed nuts. Give me 100% cashews with a few brazil nuts for some variety and I'll be happy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you've ever told someone unironically to kill themselves on the internet, you should also be put to death if they do it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Turtlicious posted:

if you've ever told someone unironically to kill themselves on the internet, you should also be put to death if they do it.

ok but what if they beat me really bad in a video game? Doesn't that get me any leniency?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

Death is a release.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Scream Queens should NOT have been cancelled

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

ok but what if they beat me really bad in a video game? Doesn't that get me any leniency?

well ok but just this one exception.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The top five best TV shows of all time are as follows

5 - Star Trek The Next Generation
4 - Girls und Panzer
3 - Frontline
2 - Police Squad!
1 - Columbo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I like to pronounce the word "sword" as "sword" instead of its proper pronunciation of "sword"

Can several people please explain this joke to me for many many pages?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, it isnt a pbf it's a nedroid. Much simpler. Two pages, tops.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I also pronounce "pho" as "fooh" instead of "fah"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I also pronounce "pho" as "fooh" instead of "fah"

it's fuh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No one says either of those, it’s either phuh or phoh

E: Reading a majority european forum for 5 minutes will demolish the idea that Europe is more progressive than the US, unless your idea of progressive is "universal healthcare but you know, for us, not them"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Sep 26, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Scream Queens should NOT have been cancelled

Scream Queens should have been cancelled after just the first season. Season one was great and season two was bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Scream Queens should have been cancelled after just the first season. Season one was great and season two was bad.

True but what if 3 was good?

E: I'd really like to sit in on a board meeting for that show. It's like they saw the final season of Scrubs and decided "Hey if they can move to a college, we can move our wacky sorority caricatures to a hospital!"

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Sep 26, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's a joke about how English is inherently inferior to a language such as Finnish, where words are spoken exactly as they are written, and words, pronouns included, have no gender.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
In 2018 of course words dont have a gender. Someone might take offence.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It is inherently regressive to assign people or objects gender. Hän means he or her, there is no need for xir or what ever the fix for this fundamental failing of the language is.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I don't care when a website is redesigned and I can't remember what it used to look like 24 hours after it's been done

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The player characters in Pokemon all deserved stipends for working as Professor Oak's research assistants.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Charizard was overrated and lame

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Jesus was probably a lot like David Koresh.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Guy Goodbody posted:

The player characters in Pokemon all deserved stipends for working as Professor Oak's research assistants.

They were interns

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fruit on the bottom posted:

They were interns

Unpaid internships are bullshit. Oak needs to loving pay those trainers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The rival was clearly a trust fund baby.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Guy Goodbody posted:

Unpaid internships are bullshit. Oak needs to loving pay those trainers

Also college sports athletes should be paid or compensated with more than just scholarships.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ommin posted:

Also college sports athletes should be paid or compensated with more than just scholarships.

:yeah:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sports should be recreational hobbies and not professional. You shouldn't get paid for running really fast.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Eh, people work crazy hard to run fast. If someone wants to throw money at them to ensure they can focus on working really hard to run fast, let them. People pay me to draw so yes, I am bias.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Sports should be recreational hobbies and not professional. You shouldn't get paid for running really fast.

I'm always curious when people express this opinion, what do you believe should be done about it? Like, you're already free to not spend your money to support professional sports. Do you want some authority to determine what forms of entertainment people are and aren't allowed to pay for?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

I'm always curious when people express this opinion, what do you believe should be done about it? Like, you're already free to not spend your money to support professional sports. Do you want some authority to determine what forms of entertainment people are and aren't allowed to pay for?

You should be paid for contributing to society with things like engineering or art. Sports is useless.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You should be paid for contributing to society with things like engineering or art. Sports is useless.
How do you distinguish between entertainment and art? And you didn't answer the question of what you'd actually like to see done about this. Would there be some sort of government authority that would go "Football? Worthless entertainment. Ballet? Culturally enriching artform."

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Tiggum posted:

How do you distinguish between entertainment and art? And you didn't answer the question of what you'd actually like to see done about this. Would there be some sort of government authority that would go "Football? Worthless entertainment. Ballet? Culturally enriching artform."

There would have to be. I would also like to know how such an organization would determine its standard of defining each thing's value. This seems a smidge authoritarian.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Does seem a bit like that conservative fantasy "Abstract art that doesn't represent anything isn't real art and should be banned" to me. :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mu Zeta posted:

Define “contributing to society”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
All athletes should have to earn their money through patreon