Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just picked up a 2016 GTI, and was looking to get the hatch pop kit installed. It seems that the keyfob isn't unlocking the rear hatch though, so it says I need to program that in using VCDS. Is the $200 Ross-Tech VCDS unit the only one I should get, or is there something else that's not so insanely priced?

edit: Specifically, anybody used this OBDeleven unit for reprogramming poo poo on VAG cars?

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
OBDeleven does the same thing that VCDS can. You just need an android device to run the app.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOi9PVVXF7o

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can rent a legit VCDS cable on eBay. I’ve done it. The mk7 isn’t listed specifically by year but it works just fine.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Karma Comedian posted:

My 2016 Jettas radio will noticeably get quieter and have much worse audio output quality if I roll the front windows down. Is that fixable?

I haven't found anything about this at all

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Pull the door card off and look for any loose or frayed wires. Sounds like a short or grounding issue happening when the window is retracted into the door.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mustache Ride posted:

Just picked up a 2016 GTI, and was looking to get the hatch pop kit installed. It seems that the keyfob isn't unlocking the rear hatch though, so it says I need to program that in using VCDS. Is the $200 Ross-Tech VCDS unit the only one I should get, or is there something else that's not so insanely priced?

edit: Specifically, anybody used this OBDeleven unit for reprogramming poo poo on VAG cars?

I've used it for minor stuff. But haven't messed with the hatch specifically. Works fine. Lots of stuff is in German so I just followed internet guides on stuff. It's pretty much the same path as stuff for VCDS.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I am loving the constant annoyance of my sagging headliner brushing against my hair. It really beats the 600-1000$ job that every spot I've checked nearby will charge me for owning a 2006 VW. Guess I'll get some tacks and hope I don't puncture any wiring.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Is it a golf/hatch? DIY materials are I think around $75 and there's plenty of YouTube videos on the process. If it's not a hatch, things get complicated and people charge an obscene amount of money and in which case yeah get tacks and good luck.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Eh I just went to town with a stapler on mine if you do it in enough of a pattern it almost looks like a diamond tuck and roll type of jobby:whatup:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone convince me not to buy a 2016 Passat 1.8t gas.

I found a certified used one at nearby dealer for 17k CAD with only 50k KM on it. All the features I want minus remote start. Does anyone know how much it costs to get one installed by the dealer?

I want to get rid of my current 2014 Impala V6 3.6 as even though its fun and full of features I've had a ton of problems with it and the seats are pretty uncomfortable.

I'd be saving atleast a grand a year on gas as well with the VW

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What do you guys think about the upcoming AllTrack as a family car in the city? Or would another GTI be good?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Upcoming? The Alltrack has been out for two years now.

It’s a nice package, overall, especially in the city. It’s more spacious than a Impreza/Crosstrek, and less huge than an Outback. It drives and handles better than most competition, since it’s basically just a Golf+. It has a nicer interior than most competition. It has a (IMO) understated handsomeness in its design that will age far better than most competitors.

Also can be had with a manual transmission which makes it a gem. Plus if you’re into it the EA888 can be chipped for a few hundred bucks and will boost power and torque significantly (at the expense of your warranty coverage).

It’s not a true off-roader but the AWD and little bit extra clearance makes it more confident on forest roads and in unpacked snow. Subaru has a better AWD system at the end of the day if you really need it.

There are good deals to be had on them because wagons don’t sell particularly well in the current crossover/SUV crazed market.

The knock against it is VW’s poor reliability reputation. But new VWs have a 6yr / 72k mi warranty now which might help allay some fears.

The other notable downside is the fuel efficiency is kinda meh. It’s not terrible but it’s not great.

I’m pretty tempted to pick one up myself before VW kills the manual option for good, and hang onto it for as long as is it stays in one piece.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 30, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Guinness posted:

Upcoming? The Alltrack has been out for two years now.

It’s a nice package, overall, especially in the city. It’s more spacious than a Impreza/Crosstrek, and less huge than an Outback. It drives and handles better than most competition, since it’s basically just a Golf+. It has a nicer interior than most competition. It has a (IMO) understated handsomeness in its design that will age far better than most competitors.

Also can be had with a manual transmission which makes it a gem. Plus if you’re into it the EA888 can be chipped for a few hundred bucks and will boost power and torque significantly (at the expense of your warranty coverage).

It’s not a true off-roader but the AWD and little bit extra clearance makes it more confident on forest roads and in unpacked snow. Subaru has a better AWD system at the end of the day if you really need it.

There are good deals to be had on them because wagons don’t sell particularly well in the current crossover/SUV crazed market.

The knock against it is VW’s poor reliability reputation. But new VWs have a 6yr / 72k mi warranty now which might help allay some fears.

The other notable downside is the fuel efficiency is kinda meh. It’s not terrible but it’s not great.

I’m pretty tempted to pick one up myself before VW kills the manual option for good, and hang onto it for as long as is it stays in one piece.

Thought the one coming out in 2019 was a refresh? Or was that for the GTI? It's been a while since I followed up with Volkswagen stuff. I have a MKV and have been stupidly happy with it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So how are the TDIs? They seem stupid cheap now.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/d/2011-volkswagen-golf-tdi-2dr/6728182054.html

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

What? Am I crazy for thinking $10k for a manual 2011 Golf with 100k+ miles is not a good deal?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe, I just remember earlier ones being that price with like 200k miles not that long ago
There is a 2015 Golf TDI with 30k miles-ish for $12k also listed, which seems more like a deal

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oh snap, looks like VW is going to sell the 2019 Alltrack with a manual in all trim levels -- previously you couldn't get the top trim SEL with a 6MT.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-just-gave-you-more-choices-if-you-want-a-man-1829962452

This stupid little car is still tempting me pretty hard, it is literally the only car for sale in the USA that is:
- wagon
- AWD
- manual trans

And with the SEL trim you get the nice stuff like adaptive cruise control and full-LED lighting. It's kind of an expensive little fucker, though, considering it is still equipped with the 1.8 and not the 2.0 but they've got this tiny little niche market cornered. Still pretty hesitant on the whole "being a VAG product" but that new 6 yr/72k mile warranty helps...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Provided the dealership can find one somewhere, I'm soon to be the owner of an 18 GTI with a stick. Excited, and this whole wait and see if the dealership can find one sucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe, I just remember earlier ones being that price with like 200k miles not that long ago
There is a 2015 Golf TDI with 30k miles-ish for $12k also listed, which seems more like a deal

nah its still a bad price...makes you wonder why that owner didnt get it fixed under the dieselgate settlement.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

nah its still a bad price...makes you wonder why that owner didnt get it fixed under the dieselgate settlement.

i guess that is a good point, i should have looked more into how that whole thing is working

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
I'm seriously considering purchasing a certified 2018 Allroad on the near future. Anyone have any insights or suggestions? If you own this model, are you happy with it?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Can't speak to the car, but be careful about "certified," which is a very different thing from "certified pre-owned."

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Saddamnit posted:

I'm seriously considering purchasing a certified 2018 Allroad on the near future. Anyone have any insights or suggestions? If you own this model, are you happy with it?
It's a solid car, unlike the original A6 based Allroad. My coworker has one and I've driven it on some long drives and spent a lot of time in the passenger seat. I have a 2015 A3 and I'm super jealous of the Carplay feature (which is in all 17+ models).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 GTI:

I replaced my cam follower cap thing today as well as plugs, coilpacks. I noticed a few things are missing - the two screws that secure the coilpack loom are missing, and I broke two small heat cycled plastic connectors when moving a PCV line.

This Clip:

And another underneath that connects the PCV piping and the high pressure fuel line barbed into the bottom of the HPFP.

Anyone know how I can find these part numbers? Thanks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Time to do some digging https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/auto-parts/2007/volkswagen/gti/base-trim/2-0l-l4-gas-engine

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you, also, gently caress.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I bought a new S5 sportback in Navarra blue a few months ago and love it. I ended up getting a PP trim with S package, nav, and 19” wheels. I thought the HUD was gimmicky and the 360 camera just ok so didn’t think Prestige was worth it. It’s a significant upgrade from my ‘06 TSX. The cabin is comfortable, wife loves the massage seats, tech is nice (non touchscreen MMI!), and the ride is fantastic. The only thing I wanted and couldn’t find was a heated steering wheel.

My one hiccup was a gigantic pothole a month or so ago that dented both passenger side rims. Unfortunately my local Audi dealer recently sold out to a larger Corp. The new dealer didn’t offer repair because they were considered unfixable and quoted $850/wheel. I ended up seeking out a guy that does repair, he showed me the small dents/bulges, and fixed em for $125 each. Smooth sailing now but was very disappointed with what the dealer considered “unfixable”.

In a similar topic, I’d like to get a set of winter wheels. Does anyone have experience with the various online OEM, near-OEM refurb or replica dealers and can recommend one? I’m assuming buying a cheap set off Tire Rack is probably not the ideal way to go.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

howdoesishotweb posted:

I bought a new S5 sportback in Navarra blue a few months ago and love it. I ended up getting a PP trim with S package, nav, and 19” wheels. I thought the HUD was gimmicky and the 360 camera just ok so didn’t think Prestige was worth it. It’s a significant upgrade from my ‘06 TSX. The cabin is comfortable, wife loves the massage seats, tech is nice (non touchscreen MMI!), and the ride is fantastic. The only thing I wanted and couldn’t find was a heated steering wheel.

My one hiccup was a gigantic pothole a month or so ago that dented both passenger side rims. Unfortunately my local Audi dealer recently sold out to a larger Corp. The new dealer didn’t offer repair because they were considered unfixable and quoted $850/wheel. I ended up seeking out a guy that does repair, he showed me the small dents/bulges, and fixed em for $125 each. Smooth sailing now but was very disappointed with what the dealer considered “unfixable”.

In a similar topic, I’d like to get a set of winter wheels. Does anyone have experience with the various online OEM, near-OEM refurb or replica dealers and can recommend one? I’m assuming buying a cheap set off Tire Rack is probably not the ideal way to go.

The best Audi/VW replicas are made by Hartmann, but a full set will set you back close to what an OE set costs. I put some Nokian R2's on a set of Hartmann peelers last year for roughly $2400 for everything.

Otherwise you can probably get a set of VMR's or Avant Garde cast wheels for around a grand.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I just picked up a 2007 Rabbit and am having a first world problem.

The car is equipped from the factory with an iPod connector under the arm rest which no longer works. I'd like to keep the stock radio just because, but I'm trying to figure out if I can just add in the aux port that was the factory option at the time instead of the iPod connection.

Looking online, it seems like the radio units might be specific to either option, so you can't just swap in an aux connection for the iPod adapter or vice versa. Can any of you confirm if the mk5 radio units varied by option? Or were they all the same units with just a different adapter for the preferred connections?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey I have a mk5 GTI, you can get an aux cable like this (sorry on my phone) : https://www.amazon.ca/Button-Switch-Cable-Passat-RCD310/dp/B01GCJZ1VU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

howdoesishotweb posted:

Buying a set of wheels from Tire Rack is fine. As long as you’re not buying $30 wheels from Ali Express you’ll be OK.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bigman.50grand posted:

I just picked up a 2007 Rabbit and am having a first world problem.

The car is equipped from the factory with an iPod connector under the arm rest which no longer works. I'd like to keep the stock radio just because, but I'm trying to figure out if I can just add in the aux port that was the factory option at the time instead of the iPod connection.

Looking online, it seems like the radio units might be specific to either option, so you can't just swap in an aux connection for the iPod adapter or vice versa. Can any of you confirm if the mk5 radio units varied by option? Or were they all the same units with just a different adapter for the preferred connections?
Wanna talk about first world problems, I want a slide-in dock for my phone that fits in the little cubby but there's only two options and the cheapest wants $90 for a 3d printed piece of plastic and the usb cable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It turns out that the bolt in the MKV GTI jack goes through a plastic nut. It's pretty weak. So, um, don't use your jack as a wedge in an industrial environment?

I should probably replace this in case I need to change my tire on the side of the road...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
all VW oem jacks should go in the bin as soon as you buy the car

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My jetta rolled off the stupid one side jack thing, fortunately with minimal damage. I keep a harbor freight aluminum racing jack and jack stands in the trunk now despite taking up a lot of room. The included jack is definitely a widowmaker.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've only actually used it once on my car. Stayed at arm's length as much as possible. I got free towing from the American Motorcycle Association, so I'm fine calling for help, though would hate to waste the time waiting for a tow. I'll see if I can get another for cheap in a junk yard. Or if I can get a small bottle jack.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's gone so long as you have the car on level ground and you put the wheel you just took off under the frame of the car to protect yourself.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

BraveUlysses posted:

all VW oem jacks should go in the bin as soon as you buy the car

This is true... total widow makers.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I use mine to wedge the motor around back or forward when I have to take out or put in the tranny for whatever reason. The only thing it's good for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!
Wasn't sure if it was better here or the Newbie thread...I have a 2011 A4 with just over 40,000 miles (I bought it CPO with 18,000). The past 2-3 years I've been traveling a ton for work so haven't driven it much and I'm dumb/not super-handy wrenching so probably now have some maintenance debt I need to catch up on.

I took it into a local mechanic a couple months ago rather than the local Audi dealership as they'd done a crappy job in the past even for servicing stuff under warranty. These guys don't specialize in VAG cars but he did a thorough inspection and gave me a comprehensive report breaking down what they recommended (their notes in italics) - wanted to get AI's guidance as to what are priorities, what to expect and/or avoid - I put in the order of what I perceived to be most pressing...
  1. CEL (I got this after I initially took the car in)
    I ran it via OBD and got code P2181 associated with Coolant System Performance. The car hasn't had any issues with overheating. Maybe a malfunctioning sensor? Is that something A) serious or B) something I can do myself...?

2. Leaks: Eng, Trans, P/S
    Upper valve cover is starting to seep recommend clean and re-inspect to confirm. Calls for 7hrs labor may require audi specialized tools to lock cams and timing components to service.

3. Ball Joints/Tie Rods/Control Arms/Linkage
    Front upper control arms and lower control arms have torn bushings and will separate. Arms have slight play in bushings. Total of 8 links 2 upper and 2 lower on each side.

4. Battery issues
    I recently changed the battery on my own but I think there's been some voltage problems since. Since I very rarely drive it, the battery has already died once.

5. Front Differential Axle
    Check/fill plug is rounded from previous inspections. Would need new plug prior to servicing/checking.
So am I looking at major outlay, especially for #2, on something like this? Also if any of these are dead simple that even a moron like me could possibly do (I know #2 is out)? Thanks in advance for any feedback.